Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:21:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 194532 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »

MLB Network is reporting Rivera has a torn ACL and is done for the year.

Terrible news if true.

Awful awful news, this is not how i envisioned the career of the greatest closer ever ending.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:47:58 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2012, 12:09:09 AM »

There are people on facebook actually liking this news. I can understand not liking the Yankees, not liking him beating you constantly, but anyone who likes that he tore his acl is fucked in the head.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2012, 06:03:02 AM »

There are people on facebook actually liking this news. I can understand not liking the Yankees, not liking him beating you constantly, but anyone who likes that he tore his acl is fucked in the head.

Agree.

Not to mention...the guy is a genuinely NICE guy.  I'm not sure how you root for him to get hurt.

I always tell my kids: You can root for a player to fail.  You can root against them playing well.  You NEVER, EVER root for someone to get hurt. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »

MLB Network is reporting Rivera has a torn ACL and is done for the year.

Terrible news if true.

Torn ACL AND Meniscus.

Done for the year.

Maybe done for good.

I'm off sports for the next 24 to 48 hours.  I just can't watch the coverage....

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #344 on: May 04, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »

Horrible news about Rivera.  If this happened 10 years ago, still bad, but you deal with it knowing he'll be back the following year.  But to think that he may now never pitch again and to go out like that is beyond cruel.  I'll be rooting for him to come back big time.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #345 on: May 04, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »

Horrible news about Rivera.  If this happened 10 years ago, still bad, but you deal with it knowing he'll be back the following year.  But to think that he may now never pitch again and to go out like that is beyond cruel.  I'll be rooting for him to come back big time.

My thoughts exactly.  I wouldn't feel that bad if this happened 10 or even 5 years ago, but at this point in his career it makes it tough to witness.  Seems like he was leaning towards this being his last year.  You have to wonder if this changes his mindset, one way or the other.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #346 on: May 04, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »

Agree.

Not to mention...the guy is a genuinely NICE guy.  I'm not sure how you root for him to get hurt.

I always tell my kids: You can root for a player to fail.  You can root against them playing well.  You NEVER, EVER root for someone to get hurt. 

So glad someone out there is teaching their kids right when it comes to something like this. It saddens me there are over 2,600 likes on that post. What is wrong with people! Like the yankees or not they had the privilege of witnessing a once in a lifetime maybe once ever pitcher and to be happy it might end like this makes me sick.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #347 on: May 04, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »

It makes me sick to think this could be the way it ends for the greatest closer ever. Watching him speak last night was rough. He sounded like a man very unsure if he'll attempt to comeback from this.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #348 on: May 04, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »

Looks like Rivera is emphatic about coming back, good for him. ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #349 on: May 04, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »

Looks like Rivera is emphatic about coming back, good for him. ok

Knowing Rivera, that doesn't surprise me. Just based on the type of guy and competitor he is. No way does he want to go out like this. Since he is clearly done this season, if someone asks him what he planned to do after the season would he answer?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #350 on: May 04, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »

Mo said, and i quote:
I am coming back. Write it down in big letters. I am not going out like this.

I can not even express how happy I am to hear that!

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »

Mo said, and i quote:
I am coming back. Write it down in big letters. I am not going out like this.

I can not even express how happy I am to hear that!

Me too and i would not in a billion years bet against him coming back and being just as good as ever. You know being Mo he is going to work tirelessly to get back.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #352 on: May 07, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »

Was watching the Nats/Phillies game last night.

The Werth injury might be one of the most grisly injuries I've ever seen, live, at a baseball game. 

Ouch.....

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #353 on: May 07, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »

The Werth injury might be one of the most grisly injuries I've ever seen, live, at a baseball game. 

Ouch.....

You hit the nail on the head - reminds me of watching Psycho Sid snap his leg at the one WCW PPV back in the day when he jumped off the top rope. Saw it happen, had to turn away but saw it multiple times on replay after.

Guess this solidifies Bryce staying up for good?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »

Ouch.....

Yep, that was bad - really bad.

And cotis, I think Bryce was here to stay regardless although this will reinforce the reality for those who had doubts.

How 'bout Cole Hamels?

Note to Cole - If you're gonna drill a guy for no reason, never admit to it and take it to the grave.

Fessing up about being "old school" isn't old school - it's stupid.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #355 on: May 07, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »

How 'bout Cole Hamels?

Note to Cole - If you're gonna drill a guy for no reason, never admit to it and take it to the grave.

See...if you need to say it, whatever you were planning or doing didn't work.

Look at Clemens: "I was pitching inside...ball just got away from me".  Basically the same statement every single time.

That way, true or not, there was no way the league could look at any one instance and determine intent.

Hamels, on the other hand, must want a 5 day vacation.  Because the minute you TELL THE LEAGUE YOU PEGGED SOMEONE ON PURPOSE, you can be sure the commish's office will oblige you with a suspension.

I'd give the guy 10 or 15 days, just for the sheer stupidity he displayed by admitting to it. 

If I were his GM, I'd be livid.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #356 on: May 08, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »

How 'bout Cole Hamels?

See...if you need to say it, whatever you were planning or doing didn't work.

Look at Clemens: "I was pitching inside...ball just got away from me".  Basically the same statement every single time.

That way, true or not, there was no way the league could look at any one instance and determine intent.

Hamels, on the other hand, must want a 5 day vacation.  Because the minute you TELL THE LEAGUE YOU PEGGED SOMEONE ON PURPOSE, you can be sure the commish's office will oblige you with a suspension.

I'd give the guy 10 or 15 days, just for the sheer stupidity he displayed by admitting to it. 

If I were his GM, I'd be livid.
That's the problem though, a 5 game suspension for a starting pitcher isn't a punishment at all.  All it does is give the guy one extra day of rest.  10 or 15 games would at least have an impact.  5 games does nothing.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2012, 06:26:14 AM »

That's the problem though, a 5 game suspension for a starting pitcher isn't a punishment at all.  All it does is give the guy one extra day of rest.  10 or 15 games would at least have an impact.  5 games does nothing.

I agree.

Generally, it forces them to miss a start ("miss" might be too strong..delay?) and takes some money out of their pocket.

But it's what the commish's office has set as precedent for this kind of thing.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #358 on: May 08, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »

I agree the '5 games' is bullshit in terms of missed time, but it does work out to be a pretty hefty loss in salary.  At Hamels' $15M salary, that works out to losing almost $500,000.  That's big money for any athlete.  One way to look at it is that it's actually more punishment for the pitcher to not miss a start but still lose 5 games' salary.  Basically, it's the opposite of a paid vacation. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

Hopefully the Phillies Kangaroo court will access further penalties for just being an idiot.

"Cole, we're going out to dinner as an organization and by the way - you're paying for it dipshit."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: