Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 05:22:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 193883 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #920 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »

Sad to see the Blue Jays and Escobar in the news for all the wrong reasons Sad

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #921 on: September 19, 2012, 04:24:12 PM »

Sad to see the Blue Jays and Escobar in the news for all the wrong reasons Sad

Yep, that was bad - really bad.

Dude's always had a crap reputation, seems he's living up to it unfortunately.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #922 on: September 20, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »

Here are my awards picks:

MVP --- AL - Mike Trout  /  NL - Yadier Molina

I think both represent the best combination of defensive and offensive performances this season in their respective leagues.

Cy Young --- AL - Justin Verlander / NL - RA Dickey

Both have put up stellar numbers, while leading their leagues in innings pitched, which is the pitching stat I've always weighted the most.

Rookie of the Year --- AL - Mike Trout / NL - Wade Miley

Has to be Trout for AL, period.  For NL, could have went with Bryce Harper, but I think Miley's pitching numbers are more impressive than Harper's hitting numbers (though Harper has been stellar defensively; but, still).
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #923 on: September 20, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

How about those Orioles?  again!  I'll tell you, I am super impressed in what they have done this year, especially when you consider all of the advantages the Yankees have.  The difference in salary alone  $195,998,004  to $80,804,000 is ludicrous, yet the Orioles pretty much remain in a tie with the Yanks for the division.  Obviously as a Yankee fan I would like the Orioles magic to run out sooner than later, but it is hard not to root for them.  What the A's have done on  $49,137,500 is ridiculous by the way.  I am pulling for them to make the playoffs.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #924 on: September 20, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »

How about those Orioles?  again!  I'll tell you, I am super impressed in what they have done this year, especially when you consider all of the advantages the Yankees have.  The difference in salary alone  $195,998,004  to $80,804,000 is ludicrous, yet the Orioles pretty much remain in a tie with the Yanks for the division.  Obviously as a Yankee fan I would like the Orioles magic to run out sooner than later, but it is hard not to root for them.  What the A's have done on  $49,137,500 is ridiculous by the way.  I am pulling for them to make the playoffs.

To be clear...actually the Yanks are nursing a lead. The two teams are not "virtually tied" because the difference is in the loss column...and YOU (meaning the team behind) can't make up losses.  The team ahead of you has to actually lose for you to catch up. For now...the Yanks are in the lead.  Tonights game will determine if they stay that way or not.

That being said: It's impressive.  Say what you want about how they're doing it (heart and grit with a liberal dose of luck), what the O's have accomplished is impressive.  The A's are doing it all on young pitching...and, IMHO, their run is actually more impressive.

It'll be an exciting last two weeks, that's for sure.  It's STARTING to look like both the Yanks and O's will be in the post-season (barring a last minute run by the Angels (5 losses behind the Yanks, 4 behind the O's) or Tigers(6 losses behind the Yanks...5 behind the O's))...but one will be looking at a one game playoff to get to the division series (where, I think, they'll play Texas?).

Honestly, I'd expect to see the O's take the lead in the division relatively soon...and then they'll battle the rest of the way.  Yanks play Oakland starting tomorrow...the O's get the Red Sox.  AFTER that series...the Yanks have an easier run up to the finish. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:25:29 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #925 on: September 20, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

To be clear...actually the Yanks are nursing a lead. The two teams are not "virtually tied" because the difference is in the loss column...and YOU (meaning the team behind) can't make up losses.  The team ahead of you has to actually lose for you to catch up. For now...the Yanks are in the lead.  Tonights game will determine if they stay that way or not.

yes of course the Yankees are leading, but if the lead can change over the course of a day or two that is essentially a tie, while yes not technically a tie.  Its not like the Yanks can rest on that lead, they are in must win games the rest of the way just like the O's.   Either way with $115 million dollars in additional payroll, the Yanks should be doing more than nursing a lead right now, can you imagine if Billy Beane had that kind of money to throw around?  I am in the minority of Yankee fans though who would actually like to see them bring the payroll down and be forced to make smarter decisions but that is another discussion all together.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #926 on: September 20, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »

Unfortunately for Swisher, who has embraced New York, his days as a Yankee are numbered.

He'll be a free agent this off-season and it's difficult to see him in the Yankees' future plans, given Swisher's postseason numbers and the Yankees' desire to decrease their payroll by 2014.

Swisher has always been a streaky hitter, which partially explains the Yankees' inability to keep their division lead in 2012. Since Aug. 29, he's just 7-62 (.113) without a home run. He has his share of hot streaks, too, but I sense the team is getting tired of his extreme hot and cold stretches.

One thing he's never been for the team is a good playoff hitter. In 100 playoff at-bats in the Bronx, Swisher has just 16 hits (a .160 average). He does have four home runs, including one in the 2009 World Series, but the Yankees expect more in the postseason from their hitters (just ask Alex Rodriguez).

Now let's look at what the Yankees are already set to pay in 2014.

Rodriguez is owed $26 million, Mark Teixeira $23.125 million, CC Sabathia $23 million and Derek Jeter at least a $3 million buyout. That's $75.125 million for just three players (Jeter or another shortstop would still need to have a salary), leaving $113.875 for the other 22 men on the roster, including Robinson Cano, who will probably sign for about $25 million per year and perhaps Curtis Granderson.

With those numbers, it seems there isn't enough room for the salary Swisher would demand, and as much as he loves New York, it's hard to ask anyone to take less money or fewer years than they are offered.

Plus, the Yankees have a cheaper option to replace Swisher for the next year or two while they evaluate more permanent options with Ichiro Suzuki, who is hitting .288 since coming to the Yankees and could probably be had on a one-year, $5 million deal, which would not require any commitment for 2014. In the meantime, the Yankees can also watch Tyler Austin's and Mason Williams' development in the minors.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1337760-new-york-yankees-why-nick-swisher-wont-be-back-in-2013

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #927 on: September 20, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »

yes of course the Yankees are leading, but if the lead can change over the course of a day or two that is essentially a tie, while yes not technically a tie.  Its not like the Yanks can rest on that lead, they are in must win games the rest of the way just like the O's.   Either way with $115 million dollars in additional payroll, the Yanks should be doing more than nursing a lead right now, can you imagine if Billy Beane had that kind of money to throw around?  I am in the minority of Yankee fans though who would actually like to see them bring the payroll down and be forced to make smarter decisions but that is another discussion all together.

A tie is a tie. A close race is a close race. A virtual tie means similar records with a percentage point diffetence because one team has played more or less games.

If the Yanks and Os both win out...Yanks win the division. Thus...it is not a tie.

As I have said in the past...payroll is a red herring. Its a business metric, or a value metric, not a metric of on the field performance or season record.  And, other than CC...the guys making big money are doing fine...so the team is getting decent (if not spectacular) value for them.  Its guys like Jones, Ibanez, and Garcia who have been more of the issue...and guys not stepping up to replace injuries.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:01:57 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #928 on: September 21, 2012, 02:07:20 AM »

A tie is a tie. A close race is a close race. A virtual tie means similar records with a percentage point diffetence because one team has played more or less games.

If the Yanks and Os both win out...Yanks win the division. Thus...it is not a tie.

As I have said in the past...payroll is a red herring. Its a business metric, or a value metric, not a metric of on the field performance or season record.  And, other than CC...the guys making big money are doing fine...so the team is getting decent (if not spectacular) value for them.  Its guys like Jones, Ibanez, and Garcia who have been more of the issue...and guys not stepping up to replace injuries.

Nobody is saying the Yankees aren't getting good value for their money this year, they are.  I have also heard the salary cap doesn't matter argument 1,000 different ways over the years in this area.  They actually hand out guide books full of talking points to us Yankee fans, I swear we will have you believing that spending more money is actually a  huge disadvantage yet the Yankees through their greatness persevere through it year after year and find ways to win!

But at the end of the day they have $115 million more dollars on the field than the Orioles,  thats an advantage.   More times than not the Yankees make good decisions with their money. Look no further than the Mets over the last decade to see money doesn't guarantee wins, but they also have the luxury of making huge mistakes without consequences(Clemens in 2007 for example)  Also I would say any other franchise would have had to let Jeter walk 2 years ago, but the Yankees  got to resign him way above market value.  Jeter is playing great, but that is besides the point, it was a risk the Yankees were able to take that other teams wouldn't be able to.  I am obviously not some Yankee hater, I was just saying for me personally I would like to see them on a more even playing field with the cap, it would make these games mean more to me as a fan.  Thats just a personal preference for me, and I know I am in the minority here.  Right now its kind of  like playing baseball for Nintendo with a Game Genie. 

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #929 on: September 21, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »

Nobody is saying the Yankees aren't getting good value for their money this year, they are.  I have also heard the salary cap doesn't matter argument 1,000 different ways over the years in this area.  They actually hand out guide books full of talking points to us Yankee fans, I swear we will have you believing that spending more money is actually a  huge disadvantage yet the Yankees through their greatness persevere through it year after year and find ways to win!

Not at all.  But the truth is...it's not a fair or good indicator of on the field results over a specific season.  If it were...the highest payroll would win the World Series every year.  Sure, it should buy you guys with the potential to perform well.  But it has nothing, really, to do with your position in the standings. It's also not the only way, or by far the most effective way, to build a competitive team.  Witness the O's, the Rays, the A's, and others...just for this season.

It's a red herring.  The data shows it's a red herring.  Heck, the team with the 2nd highest payroll has missed the playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years (Mets in 2009, Red Sox in 2010) and the Phillies (2nd highest in 2011 and 2012) don't look to be making it this year.  Look at the Red Sox,Angels and the Tigers this year? That's the projected 3nd, 4th, and 5th highest payroll for 2012.  Big payrolls...potentially on the outside looking in. In the case of the Angels and Tigers...they loaded up for bear.  There is LOTS of data which shows payroll does not necessarily equal results. 

But at the end of the day they have $115 million more dollars on the field than the Orioles,  thats an advantage. 

Data shows it's not.  You can build teams other ways..through your farm system, for example.  Via Moneyball, as another.  And there is no indication that ONE way is more successful than the other.  It's not an advantage...people THINK it is.  But history shows it's not. Their wallet (and to a lesser extent the trades they make) is the Yanks strength.  The O's strength is their farm system. NEITHER is an "advantage", in any one specific season. It's just the way the teams choose to do things (or have to do things, depending).

Free agency is ONE way to build a team.  It's not been any more or less successful, in any specific season, than the other ways.  Now...if you want to argue that sustained high payroll buys you consistency, long term....there is some truth to that.  Those that build through farm systems typically have a shorter window of opportunity, and then either need to increase payroll (to keep those players who they developed) or "rebuild" (ie: cut bait, trade their upcoming FA away, and start over).   High payroll teams have an easier time with THOSE decisions, over the long haul.  But saying a "high payroll team" should be better than one with a lower payroll, specifically in the 2012 season, is a red herring.

More times than not the Yankees make good decisions with their money. Look no further than the Mets over the last decade to see money doesn't guarantee wins, but they also have the luxury of making huge mistakes without consequences(Clemens in 2007 for example)  Also I would say any other franchise would have had to let Jeter walk 2 years ago, but the Yankees  got to resign him way above market value.  Jeter is playing great, but that is besides the point, it was a risk the Yankees were able to take that other teams wouldn't be able to.  I am obviously not some Yankee hater, I was just saying for me personally I would like to see them on a more even playing field with the cap, it would make these games mean more to me as a fan.  Thats just a personal preference for me, and I know I am in the minority here.  Right now its kind of  like playing baseball for Nintendo with a Game Genie. 

1) Jeter was signed above market value...because he's worth more than market value TO THE YANKEES.  You can't really deny it.  He puts butts in seats, his presence on the team (regardless of his production on the field) carries value, and he's the face of that franchise.  But, again, that's a business decision...not an indication of how he would perform on the field (which, IMHO, is well beyond his contract value, this year).

2) You're citing value and business examples, above.  None of it has anything to do with results during a specific season.

3) The O's, at one point, had more transactions (players being sent up, down, or moved on/off their 40 man) than they did games played.  They're doing it through their farm system...that's THEIR strength. 

4) I don't care, much, what they do with their payroll because I'm not running their business.  It doesn't effect me, one way or the other.  They have pledged, to get out from under the luxury tax penalty, to be at 189 million by 2014..for at least one season.  They've already cut about 20 million off their payroll, which I'm sure is very good for their operating profit (though, interestingly enough, as they've cut payroll, they've seen a dip in attendance....not sure it's corralary, could just be the tough economy).  I want them to field a competitive team who isn't hard to watch.  I don't care how they do it...FA, farm system, or some combination of both.

5) If the game genie part were true...wouldn't they be winning pretty much every game 100-0?  Or winning 130 games every year? Or winning the WS every year?  The fact they're  NOT (and haven't, really, in quite some time...and neither have the other high payroll teams) is pretty compelling argument AGAINST your point, no?

As an aside..I always think it's funny when people take issue with the Yanks payroll.  They're in a huge market.  They make tons of money on merchandise, never mind attendance.  The owners of the team choose to REINVEST that money (to make more money, to be sure) in the team rather than pocketing more of it and giving the high sign to the rest of the league while they go to the bank.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:57:39 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #930 on: September 21, 2012, 11:25:54 AM »

A big, enormous, giant gold star to the first person who can point out the rather glaring error in the following article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/robinson-cano-be-suspended-peds-rumors-swirl-about-yankees-star-793836

And I don't mean the fact the actual RUMOR appears to be junk....

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #931 on: September 21, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »

A big, enormous, giant gold star to the first person who can point out the rather glaring error in the following article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/robinson-cano-be-suspended-peds-rumors-swirl-about-yankees-star-793836

I wasn't aware Miguel Cabrera ever played for the Yankees or was suspended for PED's, coulda sworn I saw hime hit 2 bombs for Detroit the other day...

Oh, wait - i did.  Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #932 on: September 21, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »

I wasn't aware Miguel Cabrera ever played for the Yankees or was suspended for PED's, coulda sworn I saw hime hit 2 bombs for Detroit the other day...

Oh, wait - i did.  Wink

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding....

We have a winner.

The first time I read the article, I was like WTF?  Then it finally dawned on me the author meant MELKY.  Not sure how you mess that up, as a sports writer.

I sent off some "feedback" to their corrections department.  Not exactly the charge you want to make, all things considered.

Edit: And it looks like they corrected it!  For those clicking on the above link, and wondering what we're talking about, here's what it said BEFORE the correction:

"Cano and Miguel Cabrera were good friends when the two played for New York at the same time. The former Yankee was suspended in August for using performance-enhancing drugs, and the relationship between them has caused some to believe Cano might a cheater, as well."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:52:20 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #933 on: September 21, 2012, 02:52:40 PM »

It seems as though Melky, I mean Miguel er...damnit.. Melky has requested he not be eligible for the NL battling title:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/EXCLUSIVE-Melky-Cabrera-ruled-ineligible?blockID=777029&feedID=10850

SAN FRANCISCO ? In an unprecedented agreement between Major League Baseball and union officials, suspended Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera will be ruled ineligible to win the 2012 NL batting title, sources told CSNBayArea.com.

Cabrera asked to be removed from consideration on Wednesday, when his representatives sent a letter to union officials. The Players? Association worked out a one-time amendment to Rule 10.22(a) with MLB officials on Thursday, one day after Commissioner Bud Selig said publicly that he was not likely to take action on the matter.

Cabrera, who is hitting .346, will finish one plate appearance short of qualifying for the batting title. Rule 10.22(a) permits a player to be recognized as the official winner if extra hitless at-bats are added to his average and it remains higher than any qualifying player. (Cabrera?s average would fall from .3464 to .3456 ? still .346 when rounded up.)

Under terms of the agreement, Rule 10.22(a) will not apply to suspended players.

Cabrera?s request to refuse the extra at-bat is a clear attempt to rehab his public image and market value, both of which were tarnished by his Aug. 15 suspension for testing positive for testosterone. The 27-year-old switch hitter sustained further damage to his reputation through subsequent revelations that a liaison paid by his agents, the Levinson brothers, created a phony Web site and product in an attempt to persuade the league that Cabrera inadvertently took a banned substance.

In a statement to be released shortly, Cabrera said he had ?no wish to win an award that would be tainted,? and that he ?believe[d] it would be far better for someone more deserving to win.?

The NL batting title now becomes a legitimate race between Pittsburgh?s Andrew McCutchen (.339) and Cabrera?s former teammate, Buster Posey (.335). Both players are expected to be among the top finishers in MVP balloting as well.

No Giant has won a batting title since Barry Bonds hit .362 in 2004.

?I am grateful that the Players Association and MLB were able to honor my request," Cabrera said in a statement. "I know that changing the rules mid-season can present problems, and I thank the Players Association and MLB for finding a way to grant my request.? 

Cabrera was informed of his positive test at some point in July and the 50-game ban was announced Aug. 15 after his appeals were exhausted. The Giants had 45 games remaining in the regular season when the suspension was handed down.

The Giants could clinch the NL West title as early as Saturday, and in the event they play more than five postseason games, Cabrera would be eligible to return.

Although Cabrera has not seen live pitching in more than a month, sources tell CSNBayArea.com that he remains hopeful the Giants will direct him to return once he?s eligible. He continues to work out and keep himself in shape under terms of him uniform player contract, although sources said he is not working out at any team facilities.

The Giants are not keen on bringing back Cabrera for the postseason, citing the distraction factor as well as his questionable readiness following a 50-game ban. But the club must remove him from the restricted list when his suspension is up. Although they could face a grievance if they do not add him to the roster, the club could always cite baseball reasons for leaving him aside.

Cabrera did not address his teammates after the suspension was announced; he had privately denied the positive test to Giants players and coaches when rumors began to swirl in the weeks preceding the Aug. 15 announcement, even blaming the whispers on Dodgers fans who were attempting to cause a distraction.

It was a hard fall for Cabrera, who had emerged as a fan favorite in San Francisco. Giants fans stuffed the ballot box to make the "Melk Man" the leading vote getter among NL outfielders for the All-Star Game in July. Cabrera was selected as the MVP of the Midsummer Classic after leading the National League to a victory that secured home-field advantage in the World Series for the NL pennant winner. Sources tell CSNBayArea.com that Cabrera has no plans to return his MVP trophy, however.

Giants outfielder Gregor Blanco, one of Cabrera's best friends on the team, said the suspended outfielder was embarrassed by his positive test. Cabrera's agent, Seth Levinson, said in a statement that his client is "truly humble person, is embarrassed by his mistake and sincerely regrets letting down his teammates, the Giants organization, and the fans. Since his suspension, Melky has been adamant that he did not want the batting title award, and that he wanted to solely focus on working hard to return to baseball so he could be in a position to win that award with honor.?

Cabrera, a former New York Yankees top prospect, came to the Giants in an offseason trade following a breakout 2011 season for the Kansas City Royals. He will be a free agent this winter and was looking at a contract in excess of five years and $60 million before the suspension came down. Now agents and league officials privately speculate that Cabrera will have to prove himself somewhere on a one-year deal and return to baseball?s good graces.

His request to be removed from the batting race is a first gesture to that end.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:54:32 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #934 on: September 21, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

It seems as though Melky, I mean Miguel er...damnit.. Melky has requested he not be eligible for the NL battling title:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/EXCLUSIVE-Melky-Cabrera-ruled-ineligible?blockID=777029&feedID=10850

SAN FRANCISCO ? In an unprecedented agreement between Major League Baseball and union officials, suspended Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera will be ruled ineligible to win the 2012 NL batting title, sources told CSNBayArea.com.

Cabrera asked to be removed from consideration on Wednesday, when his representatives sent a letter to union officials. The Players? Association worked out a one-time amendment to Rule 10.22(a) with MLB officials on Thursday, one day after Commissioner Bud Selig said publicly that he was not likely to take action on the matter.

Cabrera, who is hitting .346, will finish one plate appearance short of qualifying for the batting title. Rule 10.22(a) permits a player to be recognized as the official winner if extra hitless at-bats are added to his average and it remains higher than any qualifying player. (Cabrera?s average would fall from .3464 to .3456 ? still .346 when rounded up.)

Under terms of the agreement, Rule 10.22(a) will not apply to suspended players.

Cabrera?s request to refuse the extra at-bat is a clear attempt to rehab his public image and market value, both of which were tarnished by his Aug. 15 suspension for testing positive for testosterone. The 27-year-old switch hitter sustained further damage to his reputation through subsequent revelations that a liaison paid by his agents, the Levinson brothers, created a phony Web site and product in an attempt to persuade the league that Cabrera inadvertently took a banned substance.

In a statement to be released shortly, Cabrera said he had ?no wish to win an award that would be tainted,? and that he ?believe[d] it would be far better for someone more deserving to win.?

The NL batting title now becomes a legitimate race between Pittsburgh?s Andrew McCutchen (.339) and Cabrera?s former teammate, Buster Posey (.335). Both players are expected to be among the top finishers in MVP balloting as well.

No Giant has won a batting title since Barry Bonds hit .362 in 2004.

?I am grateful that the Players Association and MLB were able to honor my request," Cabrera said in a statement. "I know that changing the rules mid-season can present problems, and I thank the Players Association and MLB for finding a way to grant my request.? 

Cabrera was informed of his positive test at some point in July and the 50-game ban was announced Aug. 15 after his appeals were exhausted. The Giants had 45 games remaining in the regular season when the suspension was handed down.

The Giants could clinch the NL West title as early as Saturday, and in the event they play more than five postseason games, Cabrera would be eligible to return.

Although Cabrera has not seen live pitching in more than a month, sources tell CSNBayArea.com that he remains hopeful the Giants will direct him to return once he?s eligible. He continues to work out and keep himself in shape under terms of him uniform player contract, although sources said he is not working out at any team facilities.

The Giants are not keen on bringing back Cabrera for the postseason, citing the distraction factor as well as his questionable readiness following a 50-game ban. But the club must remove him from the restricted list when his suspension is up. Although they could face a grievance if they do not add him to the roster, the club could always cite baseball reasons for leaving him aside.

Cabrera did not address his teammates after the suspension was announced; he had privately denied the positive test to Giants players and coaches when rumors began to swirl in the weeks preceding the Aug. 15 announcement, even blaming the whispers on Dodgers fans who were attempting to cause a distraction.

It was a hard fall for Cabrera, who had emerged as a fan favorite in San Francisco. Giants fans stuffed the ballot box to make the "Melk Man" the leading vote getter among NL outfielders for the All-Star Game in July. Cabrera was selected as the MVP of the Midsummer Classic after leading the National League to a victory that secured home-field advantage in the World Series for the NL pennant winner. Sources tell CSNBayArea.com that Cabrera has no plans to return his MVP trophy, however.

Giants outfielder Gregor Blanco, one of Cabrera's best friends on the team, said the suspended outfielder was embarrassed by his positive test. Cabrera's agent, Seth Levinson, said in a statement that his client is "truly humble person, is embarrassed by his mistake and sincerely regrets letting down his teammates, the Giants organization, and the fans. Since his suspension, Melky has been adamant that he did not want the batting title award, and that he wanted to solely focus on working hard to return to baseball so he could be in a position to win that award with honor.?

Cabrera, a former New York Yankees top prospect, came to the Giants in an offseason trade following a breakout 2011 season for the Kansas City Royals. He will be a free agent this winter and was looking at a contract in excess of five years and $60 million before the suspension came down. Now agents and league officials privately speculate that Cabrera will have to prove himself somewhere on a one-year deal and return to baseball?s good graces.

His request to be removed from the batting race is a first gesture to that end.

Good, he shouldn't win it after getting caught cheating.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #935 on: September 22, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »

I think it's a standup thing for him to do, actually.

It doesn't "forgive" the PED usage...but it saves MLB from the nightmare of potentially having to give one of it's awards to a known cheater.  At least he's trying to diffuse the fallout from his suspension/use.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #936 on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »

It kinda seems like a blatant (agent driven) move to rehab his image and regain (some) value going into free agency while alleviating a PR nightmare for MLB.

Now while you're at it Melky, Fedex that ASG MVP back to the MLB offices as well...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #937 on: September 23, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »

I'm getting beyond annoyed with all the shitty calls at first base lately. Its starting to be a daily thing lately.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #938 on: September 24, 2012, 09:29:21 AM »

I'm getting beyond annoyed with all the shitty calls at first base lately. Its starting to be a daily thing lately.

And it's not just the Yanks seeing them.  They seem to be happening across baseball the past couple weeks.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #939 on: September 24, 2012, 11:41:03 AM »

It's been a wild season for the Red Sox:

http://pics.lockerz.com/s/246514842
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »