Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 11:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 193513 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #880 on: August 29, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

Escobar sure took it to the Yanks today.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #881 on: August 30, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »

well you have to factor in health when comparing the 2 players. That's why I don't think its close. A-Rod has missed a good chunk of games the past few years, thus his numbers have suffered. If you want to take health out of the equation and just look at projected numbers for a 162 game season, fine. But I don't think that's fair.

Hip problem? Sure..but it didn't seem to effect his numbers (projected) for 2011.
Calf problem? Probably not. 
Knee problem? Sure.
Broken hand? No, not at all.

I don't consider "freak" injuries a "health problem".   The calf and the broken hand....freak injuries.

The hip and knee? Potential health problems.

The Hip seems to have been fine.  His 2011 projected numbers were pretty much in line with what you expect (30/100-ish).

Late last year, the knee repair seemed to leave him the same player he was early in the year.

Beltre's spent some time on the DL, too (hammy + groin) in the past 4 years (2009 - 2012).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:46:20 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #882 on: August 30, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »

Yanks might be gearing up for their own epic September collapse.  They've got to right the ship....or the Rays/O's are going to take the AL East.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #883 on: August 31, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »

Rafael Furcal likely done for year with elbow, may need TJ.

Chris Carpenter pushing rehab at warp speed and throwing a simulated game today in DC.

The first is a crusher, the Cards don't have any everyday SS organizational options - they're fucked.

The second is cool, Carp's a crazy SOB - wouldn't be shocked if he made it back early.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #884 on: August 31, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »

Beltre's spent some time on the DL, too (hammy + groin) in the past 4 years (2009 - 2012).

Yes, but he's still put up better numbers than A-Rod in 3 of those years.  FAR better numbers the last 2 seasons.  No matter how you want to spin it, Beltre has been the better player of late. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #885 on: September 02, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »

Yes, but he's still put up better numbers than A-Rod in 3 of those years.  FAR better numbers the last 2 seasons.  No matter how you want to spin it, Beltre has been the better player of late. 

Offensive numbers...yes. Last two years, projected, its close.

This year, much better.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #886 on: September 04, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »

Yanks might be gearing up for their own epic September collapse.  They've got to right the ship....or the Rays/O's are going to take the AL East.

And it's down to one thin game.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #887 on: September 04, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »

I saw Cano left the game yesterday, heard something about "day to day" this morning on MLB Radio - any local word on what's the prognosis is pilf?

They've had a tough go of it the last 50 or so, I still think they'll get in an advance though - no basis for the opinion just a feeling.  Time to right the ship though for sure.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #888 on: September 04, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »

I saw Cano left the game yesterday, heard something about "day to day" this morning on MLB Radio - any local word on what's the prognosis is pilf?

They've had a tough go of it the last 50 or so, I still think they'll get in an advance though - no basis for the opinion just a feeling.  Time to right the ship though for sure.
They have to face those pesky Red Sox the last 3 games of the season.  Sox close with the O's and Yanks, ironically enough "attempting" to play the spoiler role that was turned on them last season.  At least it would give SOME meaning to this horrendous season to make it tough on those teams down the stretch.  OR, both teams will have an easy 3 wins towards the end.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #889 on: September 05, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »

They have to face those pesky Red Sox the last 3 games of the season.  Sox close with the O's and Yanks, ironically enough "attempting" to play the spoiler role that was turned on them last season.  At least it would give SOME meaning to this horrendous season to make it tough on those teams down the stretch.  OR, both teams will have an easy 3 wins towards the end.

Two birds with one stone:

Cano's generally fine, I think.  Just a "hip pointer".  Nothing that will cost him a bunch of time.'

See...I think they're the team that's going to get left out.  Baltimore, TB, and Oakland are playing much better ball than the Yanks..and the Yanks look to have crumbled like a cheap suit.  Their whole season is going to pretty much hinge on these next 4 games.

Sox might be able to play spoiler...but the way the Yanks have been playing, it might be "over" long before those last 6 games.  They remind me of the Sox of last September...they just look defeated when they step on the field.  It would be nice to see some fire out of them.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #890 on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »

2 Yanks things that caught my eye this morning, first from Ken Rosenthal:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-york-yankees-hal-steinbrenner-will-they-cut-payroll-to-avoid-luxury-tax-090412

Second from Richard Justice:

"Yankees 55-38 with A-Rod in starting lineup, 21-21 without him."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #891 on: September 08, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »

Wow two horrible horrible calls at the ends of games tonight. MLB should fine a few umps. Texas wins on a called strike 3 that was half a foot outside and the Yankees lose on a double play where Teixeria slides and was almost laying in right field when the relay throw got there.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #892 on: September 08, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »

Sounds like Girardi went off on some media dude named Joel Sherman after the game, other media dudes piling on Girardi for calling their (cough, cough) colleague on the carpet.

Haven't seen the footage yet but it sounds like typical gang mentality, I doubt 1 "reporter" will go after their bretheren for being an utter douche.

Video, douchebaggery from Sherman towards the end:

http://www.themediahaven.com/2012/09/joe-girardi-gets-testy-with-joel.html

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:18:58 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #893 on: September 09, 2012, 01:34:21 AM »

I was expecting a lot more from that.  They were talking about it on YES like a riot broke out or something.  To be fair, I think they were insinuating that more words were exchanged afterwards which wasn't part of the broadcast.

Things getting a little testy with the Yanks.  That's bound to happen when a giant lead evaporates in a months time.  Trust me, I know.  It would give me some pleasure to see them continue this collapse and miss out on the playoffs completely.  Though the Red Sox are so bad, nothing can erase the memories of this epically awful season.  I am READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!  Opening DAY, tomorrow.  Or today I guess.  Can't wait!

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #894 on: September 09, 2012, 02:28:54 AM »

Things are getting a little too close for comfort for me for sure. You gotta give the O's credit though. They are playing great ball right now. They got some bad news tonight though, Markakis will miss 6 weeks after being hit on the hand by Sabathia breaking his thumb. It would be a shame to see their season fall apart as a result of losing him. I'm certainly not hoping they beat us for the division but seeing Baltimore who was once a very proud organization doing so well again is great to see.

On another note, how's everyone feel about Strasburg being shutdown for the rest of the season?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #895 on: September 09, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »

Sounds like Girardi went off on some media dude named Joel Sherman after the game, other media dudes piling on Girardi for calling their (cough, cough) colleague on the carpet.

Haven't seen the footage yet but it sounds like typical gang mentality, I doubt 1 "reporter" will go after their bretheren for being an utter douche.

Video, douchebaggery from Sherman towards the end:

http://www.themediahaven.com/2012/09/joe-girardi-gets-testy-with-joel.html

I watched the post game interview.

He was asked about CC's health once, and answered honestly.

He was asked again, and assured THAT reporter that CC is healthy.

third time he got ticked.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #896 on: September 09, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »

Baltimore who was once a very proud organization doing so well again is great to see.

On another note, how's everyone feel about Strasburg being shutdown for the rest of the season?

I think its a lil goofy, coulda been handled much more professionally.

Announcing deadlines/innings/pitch limits publicly is never smart - circumstances change throughout and "mind changing" is looked upon as breaking policy for the sake at of winning at all costs.

Keep it in house and make decisions accordingly, keep the circus out of the clubhouse.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #897 on: September 09, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »

Baltimore who was once a very proud organization doing so well again is great to see.

I think its a lil goofy, coulda been handled much more professionally.

Announcing deadlines/innings/pitch limits publicly is never smart - circumstances change throughout and "mind changing" is looked upon as breaking policy for the sake at of winning at all costs.

Keep it in house and make decisions accordingly, keep the circus out of the clubhouse.
I don't understand why they didn't monitor his innings during the season.  Skip him in the rotation every once in awhile so he didn't hit that innings limit by this point.  And I've heard they're only shutting him down until the playoffs.  What sense does that make?  I'd venture to guess that pitching in the playoffs is a little more stressful than pitching in May against the Marlins.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #898 on: September 09, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »

I'm not sure about that Faldor, my understanding of it is his season is over period. I think its kinda stupid they are really putting themselves in a bad spot for the playoffs. I don't think they expected the team to perform so well so soon. I think they thought they'd have an ok team and could afford to limit his innings this season and let him loose next year. Unfortunately, they are the best team in the league and shutting him down looks like a stupid move.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #899 on: September 09, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »

I'm not sure about that Faldor, my understanding of it is his season is over period.

Yep, he's done until next spring.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: