Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 05:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 193910 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #780 on: August 22, 2012, 04:57:03 PM »

Nova to DL for Yanks, stiff shoulder it seems.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #781 on: August 22, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »

Does everyone agree, though, that Jeter is almost certainly (at this point) a sure fire first ballot HOF'er?

For sure.

I think it will be pretty close to unanimous as well. I'm not sure anyone will ever get a unanimous vote but Jeter along with Rivera have a chance.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #782 on: August 22, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »

From what i read, he's not on the DL as of yet. He's gonna skip his next start and get some tests in New York. If they don't find anything they will hope it clears up with missing just one start.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:22:31 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #783 on: August 22, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »

On another note, it seems Pettitte hasn't ruled out pitching in 2013.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #784 on: August 22, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »

Bartolo Colon being suspended for 50 games for violation of MLB drug policy.  He reportedly tested positive for testosterone.

What's with everyone thinking they won't get caught with testosterone lately?

No clue, MLB has debunked the latest masking agent.

If MLB had any sense, they'd hire Victor Conte (Balco Founder) as their lead PED investigator - he's probably the foremost expert on the subject on the planet and would no doubt strike the fear of God into users.

That would be a great move. He would be able to help them keep up with whatever players are using and using to avoid detection.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #785 on: August 22, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »

Does everyone agree, though, that Jeter is almost certainly (at this point) a sure fire first ballot HOF'er?

For sure.

I think it will be pretty close to unanimous as well. I'm not sure anyone will ever get a unanimous vote but Jeter along with Rivera have a chance.

Both will have really high %'s but neither will be unanimous, IMO we'll never see a 100% first ballot vote.

There's always a writer or former player that has to make a point or flat out doesn't turn in their ballots..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #786 on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »

On another note, it seems Pettitte hasn't ruled out pitching in 2013.

Maybe we can look forward to one of these if he returns, changed name of course. Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV3NhT0oXzY

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:14:22 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #787 on: August 22, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »

For sure.

Both will have really high %'s but neither will be unanimous, IMO we'll never see a 100% first ballot vote.

There's always a writer or former player that has to make a point or flat out doesn't turn in their ballots..

True, although i think Rivera definitely deserves to be unanimous.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #788 on: August 22, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

Wow, Skip Bayless is now speculating Jeter is using something. I don't know a person in this world that would ever suspect Derek Jeter of using. Its just not the kind of person he is.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #789 on: August 22, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »

Bartolo Colon being suspended for 50 games for violation of MLB drug policy.  He reportedly tested positive for testosterone.
You're telling me that his doctor from overseas that gave him that magic medicine that revitalized his career may not have been legit after all?  Say it ain't so.  Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long for him to get busted.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #790 on: August 22, 2012, 10:22:22 PM »

How the hell does Youkilis get hit this much? His body is like a magnet for baseballs.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #791 on: August 23, 2012, 12:18:34 AM »

Joe Girardi's finest moment may have been the way he handled the Daryl Kile death 10 years ago - until now.

http://deadspin.com/5937161/joe-girardi-nearly-fought-a-heckler-during-his-postgame-press-conference?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Awesome.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #792 on: August 23, 2012, 03:04:39 AM »

I love Joe, he really seems like a great guy.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #793 on: August 23, 2012, 06:20:17 AM »

I agree, i'd hate to see Swish leave. He's obviously very happy here. I disagree about Grandy though.

The thing is: They gotta choose.  They can't keep Cano, Granderson, AND Swish and stay under 189 million.  I'm not convinced they can keep Cano and Granderson and stay under that amount.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #794 on: August 23, 2012, 06:23:21 AM »

Yeah...you gotta wonder.

CC has to come off the DL, so you need to make a move.

There was some speculation that they'd either send Joba down OR DFA Lowe.

I've discussed, in a couple other places that, instead, they should send Nova down.  He's been awful for awhile now.

Suddenly, Nova has a "stiff shoulder".  Hey, he might.  But I wonder if it's a "normal" 15 day DL stint, or a nice opportunity to shut the kid down for a couple weeks and then "demote" him without actually doing it til spring.

Phelps has pitched well enough to keep a spot in the rotation....now he'll get Novas.

Edit: Wait, looks like they're not going to DL him yet..which means they still need to make a roster move before Friday. GRRRRR.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:25:30 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #795 on: August 23, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

Wow, Skip Bayless is now speculating Jeter is using something. I don't know a person in this world that would ever suspect Derek Jeter of using. Its just not the kind of person he is.

Unfortunately, Skip is right. We would have to have our heads in the sand to believe we know these people personally just from watching them play a sport on TV, and know if they are on the up and up.
We will never truly know for sure who is clean. We can only possibly find out who's cheating. There is no player in any sport that would really surprise me if caught using. That's why I accepted it long ago, and really couldn't care less. I'm not an advocate for steroid use, but it has been, and will forever be a big part of professional sports.

I love Jeter's response "Maybe Skip should be tested". haha. Great stuff.

He'd get my vote as first ballot HOF.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #796 on: August 23, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

Unfortunately, Skip is right. We would have to have our heads in the sand to believe we know these people personally just from watching them play a sport on TV, and know if they are on the up and up.
We will never truly know for sure who is clean. We can only possibly find out who's cheating. There is no player in any sport that would really surprise me if caught using. That's why I accepted it long ago, and really couldn't care less. I'm not an advocate for steroid use, but it has been, and will forever be a big part of professional sports.

I love Jeter's response "Maybe Skip should be tested". haha. Great stuff.

He'd get my vote as first ballot HOF.

He may have a point but i just don't think Jeter is the kinda guy who would do something like that.

Mine too. He's had an incredible career. Sure he's benefited from the teams he was on but that doesn't make the numbers less impressive.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:28:29 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #797 on: August 23, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »

Yeah...you gotta wonder.

CC has to come off the DL, so you need to make a move.

There was some speculation that they'd either send Joba down OR DFA Lowe.

I've discussed, in a couple other places that, instead, they should send Nova down.  He's been awful for awhile now.

Suddenly, Nova has a "stiff shoulder".  Hey, he might.  But I wonder if it's a "normal" 15 day DL stint, or a nice opportunity to shut the kid down for a couple weeks and then "demote" him without actually doing it til spring.

Phelps has pitched well enough to keep a spot in the rotation....now he'll get Novas.

Edit: Wait, looks like they're not going to DL him yet..which means they still need to make a roster move before Friday. GRRRRR.

That leads me to believe the stiff shoulder is true. In that game i thought he was pitching pretty well until the 6th when he gave up the grand slam to Youkilis. He said that was the inning he felt it. So its not so far fetched to think he really stunk that inning cause of the medical issue.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #798 on: August 23, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »

That leads me to believe the stiff shoulder is true. In that game i thought he was pitching pretty well until the 6th when he gave up the grand slam to Youkilis. He said that was the inning he felt it. So its not so far fetched to think he really stunk that inning cause of the medical issue.

On thing evident from my point of view, the Yanks need to get their starting pitching house in order - and soon.

The Rays are coming and coming fast, the Yanks need to hold them off and secure the division title - not sure the Yanks will make it past the division series if they have to throw CC in the wild card game. 

As for Bayless, it's Skip being Skip - just fodder for reactive measures.

Although at this point, nothing would shock me as far as users go - Jeter included.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:16:52 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #799 on: August 23, 2012, 07:12:27 PM »

Well it appears now that Nova is going on the DL. The diagnosis is rotator cuff inflammation. So Phelps will stay in the rotation when CC makes his return tomorrow for at least two weeks. Hopefully it'll clear up in the two weeks and he'll return healthy. I'm perfectly fine with Phelps in their he's pitched quite well. So he should do ok until Nova can return and having CC back will be huge. Pettitte and A-Rod will also be returning in September. So we should be getting everyone healthy at the right time.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: