Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 11:29:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 195081 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #660 on: July 25, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »

It appears the yankees aren't gonna do anything drastic to replace A-Rod. They are gonna let Chavez and Nyx handle the position until he is ready to return. I'm comfortable with that. Chavez is a serviceable replacement.

Smart move, sometimes less is more.

The Yanks are gonna be fine either way, I think they'll win the divsion by 10 with or without ARod.

I agree, only thing i worry about is Chavez getting injured being prone to injury, i think Girardi will use him and Nyx evenly to hopefully prevent overuse of Chavez. No need to make a trade when we are clearly running away and hiding from the rest of the east. As long as Alex is healthy in time for the playoffs that's what maters.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #661 on: July 25, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »

It appears the yankees aren't gonna do anything drastic to replace A-Rod. They are gonna let Chavez and Nyx handle the position until he is ready to return. I'm comfortable with that. Chavez is a serviceable replacement.

The Yanks are gonna be fine either way, I think they'll win the divsion by 10 with or without ARod.

I agree, only thing i worry about is Chavez getting injured being prone to injury, i think Girardi will use him and Nyx evenly to hopefully prevent overuse of Chavez. No need to make a trade when we are clearly running away and hiding from the rest of the east. As long as Alex is healthy in time for the playoffs that's what maters.

I'm not sure they even need him in the playoffs.

They'd love to be at full strength going into post season but I'm not sure ARod is any difference maker at this point, let alone coming off a fractured hand.

Beyond Yankee stuff..

I'm still trying to comprehend the Phil's giving Cole Hamel's a $144 million over 6, nothing like having 100 million bones wrapped up on 4 players next year... 

Good for them if they can afford it I suppose but my God, that's fiscal insanity on the surface.

The HanRam thing in LA could be entertaining, they might as well issue him number 99 and dub left field Hanleywood.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:23:34 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #662 on: July 25, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »

The HanRam thing in LA could be entertaining, they might as well issue him number 99 and dub left field Hanleywood.

Hanley's first AB tonight in STL goes for a triple, a badly misjudged routine fly to deep center courtesy of John Jay.

Coulda been an inside the parker if he would have been running out of the box, oh the humanity.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #663 on: July 25, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »

I'm not sure they even need him in the playoffs.

They'd love to be at full strength going into post season but I'm not sure ARod is any difference maker at this point, let alone coming off a fractured hand.

Beyond Yankee stuff..

I'm still trying to comprehend the Phil's giving Cole Hamel's a $144 million over 6, nothing like having 100 million bones wrapped up on 4 players next year... 

Good for them if they can afford it I suppose but my God, that's fiscal insanity on the surface.

You might be right but, he was showing signs of getting hot. That signing is mind boggling. Why would a team playing as poorly as him tie up so much cash in him?

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #664 on: July 25, 2012, 11:46:06 PM »

Hanley's first AB tonight in STL goes for a triple, a badly misjudged routine fly to deep center courtesy of John Jay.

Coulda been an inside the parker if he would have been running out of the box, oh the humanity.

Not a deal you are overly thrilled with i can see.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #665 on: July 25, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »

Things going south between Hamilton and the Rangers?

Josh Hamilton discusses struggles
By Richard Durrett
ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Wearing a Roy Hobbs "Knights" jersey as he walked in the clubhouse, Texas Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton said he respects CEO and Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan's opinion and that his plan is to try to be more focused and patient at the plate in an effort to climb out of his slump.

Ryan said Monday on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's Galloway and Company that "there's a lot of those at-bats that he (Hamilton) just gives away" and that the outfielder didn't "seem to be locked in at all."

Hamilton
Hamilton

"I love and respect Nolan to death," Hamilton said. "He's a competitor. He's still a competitor and was a big-time competitor. I believe he cares so much for us as players, almost like a grandfather would, that when he sees us not performing or doing the things we need to do, it frustrates him.

"I understand why it frustrates him. I can't blame him for anything. I have to keep doing what I can do, working on what I can work on, go up there and try to be a little more focused and patient and do the best I can."

Hamilton, who said he believes he's getting ready to turn things around, said he feels "out of sorts mentally."

"Usually you get into trouble when you start thinking about stuff," Hamilton said. "It's the mental aspects more than the physical. That's where I think I am right now."

Hamilton hit just .223 in June and is batting .161 in July going into Wednesday's series finale against the Boston Red Sox. His struggles have dropped his average to .290 after a torrid start that included AL Player of the Month honors in April and May.

He has 28 homers and 81 RBIs this season, but he's hit just seven homers since June 1 with 24 RBIs. He had 39 strikeouts the first two months of the season, but has 53 since June.

Hamilton's frustration boiled over after he hit a grounder past the mound in the sixth inning of Tuesday's 2-1 loss to the Red Sox. The skimmer did score the Rangers' only run of the game, but he wasn't happy with the at-bat. He threw his batting helmet toward the bin for helmets and bats in the dugout and clearly was upset.

"I am human," Hamilton said. "No matter how mad you are or if you break something or throw something, it's not going to change the fact of what happened or make anything better. It snowballs."

More on the Rangers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Rangers, check out ESPN Dallas' blog ?

Hamilton said he's started some different drills with hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh the past few days that he used to do last year. He said the staff put together a three-minute video of some of his highlights from earlier in the season and he didn't see any mechanical changes he needed to make.

Hamilton knows the adjustments must come from his head, where he admits he has to recognize pitches better, stay patient and not be afraid to hit balls the other way.

"When I'm swinging at pitches out of the zone and I'm hitting them, it's no big deal," Hamilton said. "But when I'm swinging at them and missing them, it's a big deal. (I need to) focus on bringing the pitchers back to having to throw me strikes or at least something close enough that I can do something with.

"They all know they can throw me questionable pitches and more than likely I'll swing at them. When I'm going good, they can do that and I get hits. When I'm not going good, I get myself out. It's understanding what kind of game plan they're going to have and what it is and trusting myself, trusting I don't have to create anything or get in an overly ready position to hit."

Hamilton said he's been able to block out any thoughts of his contract status and pending free agency after this season and didn't use that as an excuse for his poor showing.

"It's more frustrating for me because I want to perform for my teammates and help them," Hamilton said. "I want all the fans to come out and have a good time and I want to entertain them. It's frustrating, but I'm not going to throw my helmet. I'm not going to cuss at umpires because that's not who I am."

Hamilton admits that he does lose concentration sometimes during the game.

"I definitely lose focus at times. It doesn't matter what you're doing or how much you love to do something, it becomes a grind," Hamilton said. "But I do care. I don't go out there and go through the motions. I try to play hard."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #666 on: July 26, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »

Not a deal you are overly thrilled with i can see.

Not a HanRam fan in the least.

Doesn't hustle, pouts, horseshit teammate - he's Manny in Hanley's clothing.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #667 on: July 26, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »

A-rod out 6 to 8 weeks with a broken hand.  Doesn't LOOK like it will need surgery (we'll know for sure in the next couple of days when he gets back to NYC and is examined by Yankees docs).

I blame the M's coaching staff.  Once Hernandez took that comebacker off the sternum.....he REALLY had issues with command.  He ended up hitting three Yanks batters (including the pitch to A-rod), and almost decapitated Ibanez at one point. They really should have pulled King Felix after he got pegged.

I thought the lefty reliever they put in after Felix was the guy who dusted Ibanez's crops?

Then again, I could be wrong - it was late and I was fading...

You're right.  That's what happens when you're watching a game at close to midnight. Smiley 

Still...you could see the control issues that came after the comebacker.  No reason they should have left him in.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #668 on: July 26, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »

Falcon is correct on that it was the guy who relieved Felix that nearly removed Ibanez's head. They took out Felix after he broke A-Rod's hand. I wonder if we'll see retaliation I've always today.

According to the NY Daily News' Yankee beat writer Feinsand (paraphrasing) :

"Not a single person in the Yankee clubhouse thought Felix hit anyone intentionally"

Which really doesn't mean a thing really, as TLR used to say (and I agree wholeheartedly)

"If you're gonna go in you better know where it's going, and if you go up and in and miss and someone get's hurt, well..."

Perfect example from last year, the Brewers were throwing Pujols high and tight 2 days in a row and ended up getting him on the hands.  Next time Ryan Braun came up (with the go ahead runs on mind you) Jason Motte went in and missed the first pitch then drilled him the second pitch. 

All hell broke loose but the message was sent, know where it's going if you're going inside.

I agree...it wasn't intentional (nor was the Ichiro or Jeter HBPs).

But it was careless disregard by the coaches.  King Felix was obviously effected by that liner.  After that...you could tell there were times he would wince, mid pitch...and the ball would just fly.  He had no idea, on those pitches, where it was going to go.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #669 on: July 26, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »

I agree...but Chavez is also injury prone. You just can't play him every day...and even with a dose of Nix to spell him...I'm not sure it's enough.

I suppose, in a pinch, you go to Pena (who they called up) or Nunez (who they didn't...which is telling).  I just get scared when relying on Chavez as the almost every day 3rd baseman.  You only have til the deadline to try to get another option....and with the way things are going, Chavez will probably get hurt Aug 1st.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #670 on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »

There are more durable options out there (like Ty Wigginton) who could probably be had for a song.  Not a great first option (given his offense), but a REAL nice backup/security blanket if you lost Chavez to injury.  Certainly better than Pena.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #671 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »

Don't be surprised if, by the deadline (or in the off season), that number for 4 players drops.  I suspect Lee is heading out of town, sooner rather than later.

While I know it's unlikely...I'd be completely OK with never hearing about HanRam again.  The guys an ass and shows no desire to hustle.  The consumate dickhead on the field, and off.  And lately, his numbers aren't supporting the attitude.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #672 on: July 26, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »

We'll just have to see what happens. Hopefully Chavez will be ok. If not i guess it'll be Nyx and Pena's job until Alex is back.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #673 on: July 26, 2012, 11:35:53 PM »

Nice debut so far by the Mets prospect Harvey this evening in Arizona, great stuff.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #674 on: July 26, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »

Nice debut so far by the Mets prospect Harvey this evening in Arizona, great stuff.
Didn't watch any of the game, but just looking at the stats.  11 K's certainly ain't too shabby for a debut.  Not a very high percentage of strikes though.  Was he effectively wild?  They could certainly use a boost.  I believe they only have one win since the break.  Worse than the Red Sox at this point, and they're in shambles.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #675 on: July 27, 2012, 12:04:36 AM »

Didn't watch any of the game, but just looking at the stats.  11 K's certainly ain't too shabby for a debut.  Not a very high percentage of strikes though.  Was he effectively wild?  They could certainly use a boost.  I believe they only have one win since the break.  Worse than the Red Sox at this point, and they're in shambles.

I just flipped over to MLB Network and caught a live look in, went to a couple of deep counts when I was watching.

Throws hard and went up the ladder well, saw a couple of helpless swings.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #676 on: July 27, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »

Now all the kid can do is sit back and see if that horrendous Mets bullpen can preserve the win for him.  Welcome to the big leagues.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #677 on: July 27, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »

Now all the kid can do is sit back and see if that horrendous Mets bullpen can preserve the win for him.  Welcome to the big leagues.

Has Mike Lupica annointed him the next Nolan Ryan yet?

Give it a sec, he will. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #678 on: July 27, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »

I wouldn't say they're in shambles, this recent losing streak is just a regression to the mean for a team that way outperformed its talent in the 1st half.  They were not ready to contend this season and most fans knew that given that they cut payroll by about $50M this year.  Basically, they have 1 star position player and then 2, maybe 3, other guys you would say are good.  The rest are below average.  As for pitching, the starters are good, but they too have overachieved so far (I love RA Dickey, but Cy Young candidate, c'mon).  That fucking bullpen... better I say nothing.

I was pretty shocked by Harvey's debut.  The guy throws hard, but most scouts have projected him as only a mid-rotation guy.  And as hard as he throws, his minor league strikeout rate hasn't been that great.  In any case, he certainly showed some balls out there last night, going right after major leaguers like they were children.   
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #679 on: July 27, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »

Has Mike Lupica annointed him the next Nolan Ryan yet?

Give it a sec, he will. yes

Looks like Terry Collins has beat Lil' Mikey Lupica to the boarding of the high expectation train on the kid..

?I?ve talked to scouts who think he is a three or a four [starter], let me tell you something, that?s No. 1 kind of stuff right there, that?s [Justin] Verlander, [Stephen] Strasburg stuff,?? he said."

Good luck Matt, you're gonna need it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:55:58 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: