Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2024, 06:15:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228182 Posts in 43264 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 196052 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #620 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »

We just ran into a team on one helluva roll. With the Rangers slumping bad they need to be more worried about Oakland i think then the Angels.

Oakland's on a nice run although I think the Angels are much more of a threat moving forward.

They've got players of value to deal and money to burn with an owner that's not afraid to go out and pull the trigger.

And of course, Oakland is still Oakland. Wink

We'll see, Oakland has the lowest ERA. Their offense might not be on par with the Angels but their pitching will give them a chance to win more often then not.

I think a part of the A's pitching success is a bit of a mirage, very home field induced.

A great story nonetheless though, would love to see them stick around.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #621 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »

Ichiro is now a Yankee, didn't see that one coming.

Are you shitting me?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #622 on: July 23, 2012, 06:27:50 PM »

Ichiro is now a Yankee, didn't see that one coming.

Are you shitting me?

Nope.

Done deal.

From hardballtalk:

On a day filled with big trades and rumored big trades this one qualifies as the most shocking: Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki from the Mariners for minor league pitchers D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquhar.

Just last week Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik insisted that Suzuki would not be traded and the Mariners wanted to re-sign the impending free agent, but apparently those plans changed in a hurry.

Suzuki is in the midst of a career-worst season at age 38, hitting just .261 with a .288 on-base percentage and .353 slugging percentage, but the Yankees are obviously betting on him still have some gas left in the tank as a replacement for Brett Gardner.

Anything can happen in a two-month window and obviously Suzuki can get hot in a hurry. Or at least the Ichiro of old could get hot in a hurry. Dating back to the beginning of last season he?s hit just .268 with a .302 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 1,144 plate appearances spread over 256 games.

Mitchell was the Yankees? 10th-round pick in 2008 and made his big-league debut in May at age 25, projecting as a potential back-of-the-rotation starter or long reliever. Farquhar has similarly modest upside as a middle reliever and two weeks ago the Yankees passed him through waivers unclaimed.

In other words, the Mariners got a pair of non-prospects for Suzuki.

Another deal done as well, looks like the Marlins fire sale has begun.

Per John Morosi's twitter:

Full deal, agreed upon: A. Sanchez, Infante and Marlins comp pick for Turner, Brantly, Flynn andTigers comp pick.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:30:11 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #623 on: July 23, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »

Yeah just saw it on MLB Network. At this point in his career is he better then the left field platoon we've been doing? I'm not sure. As for the Marlins, we all saw that coming before the season started. The Lurie's are thieves.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #624 on: July 23, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »

Yeah just saw it on MLB Network. At this point in his career is he better then the left field platoon we've been doing?

Ya, you're prob right - doesn't appear to have much gas in the tank at this point but what the hell, it's worth a shot if your the Yanks.

Sounds like the Dempster deal to the Bravos is awaiting approval from Dempster, a 10/5 guy.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #625 on: July 23, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »

Yeah just saw it on MLB Network. At this point in his career is he better then the left field platoon we've been doing?

Ya, you're prob right - doesn't appear to have much gas in the tank at this point but what the hell, it's worth a shot if your the Yanks.

Sounds like the Dempster deal to the Bravos is awaiting approval from Dempster, a 10/5 guy.

yeah, we'll just have to see. I think he could get some good pitches to hit with all those great hitters surrounding him. So maybe that'll spark him a bit. There is also the short porch in right. So maybe more protection in the lineup and the short porch will help him a bit. I'm not expecting the old Ichiro obviously.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #626 on: July 23, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »

Things just went from bad to worse to horrible for the Rangers. Colby Lewis is done, first it was reported as just tendonitis but now espn dallas says its a torn ligament with Tommy John surgery to follow. Also, Oswalt has been scratched due to back stiffness. Ouch.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #627 on: July 23, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »

Things just went from bad to worse to horrible for the Rangers. Colby Lewis is done, first it was reported as just tendonitis but now espn dallas says its a torn ligament with Tommy John surgery to follow. Also, Oswalt has been scratched due to back stiffness. Ouch.

I don't think the Rangers will wait around, much like the Angels with an abundance of talent to deal and a shitload of money to take on salary if necessary.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #628 on: July 23, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »

I don't think the Rangers will wait around, much like the Angels with an abundance of talent to deal and a shitload of money to take on salary if necessary.

Yeah me either. Their pitchers are dropping like flies. They almost have no choice but to make a move now.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #629 on: July 23, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »

I'm curious as to what number Ichiro will wear as a yankee, obviously they won't dare give him Bernie Williams number the fans would rebel just like they did when they tried to give O'Neilll's number to someone else.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #630 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Ichiro thrived with the Yankees.  Look at Andruw Jones and Eric Chavez.  Nobody expected much of anything from those two guys, but they have done quite well in the reserve role.  Don't see why Ichiro won't be any different.  Especially if he isn't asked to play everyday.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #631 on: July 23, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »

I wouldn't be either, i think the players around him in the lineup will help. He will get better pitches to hit then he was with the M's. Oh and Ichiro better get a standing O from the crowd tonight when gets his first at bat as a yankee. He deserves nothing less from the Seattle fans.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #632 on: July 23, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »

I'm curious as to what number Ichiro will wear as a yankee, obviously they won't dare give him Bernie Williams number the fans would rebel just like they did when they tried to give O'Neilll's number to someone else.

There's a segment of Cards fans that would storm Busch Stadium if they dare issued Willie McGee's 51 to anyone else, didn't know Yanks fans were that way with O"Neill or Williams.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #633 on: July 23, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »

There's a segment of Cards fans that would storm Busch Stadium if they dare issued Willie McGee's 51 to anyone else, didn't know Yanks fans were that way with O"Neill or Williams.

Oh yeah, i remember several years back someone was wearing O'Neilll's number in spring training and fans were yelling at him and throwing stuff etc. So they had to give him a new number. You don't take beloved Yankees numbers
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #634 on: July 23, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »

Oh yeah, i remember several years back someone was wearing O'Neilll's number in spring training and fans were yelling at him and throwing stuff etc. So they had to give him a new number. You don't take beloved Yankees numbers

That's hilarious! 

I think most outside of NY remember O'Neill's cameo on Seinfeld more than his actual career.

Some Cards fans were none too happy when Rafael Furcal got Jimmy Edmonds 15 as well, made even more funny because Edmonds has a restaraunt in STL named "Jim Edmonds 15 Steakhouse".

That oh so thin line between fan and fanatic again.

EDIT: looks like Ichiro will be wearing 31 so I guess the William's fans can stand down, riot averted.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:36:15 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #635 on: July 23, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »

I think most outside of NY remember O'Neill's cameo on Seinfeld more than his actual career.

I was not a fan of Paul O'Neill as a player.  One of those guys you hated, but would love to have on your team.  Nick Swisher fills that role for me now.  BUT, I loved Paul on Seinfeld.  Fantastic job there!  And I actually think he's one of the better analysts the Yanks have, in their roster of 20 guys they rotate through.  confused

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #636 on: July 23, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »

BUT, I loved Paul on Seinfeld.  Fantastic job there! 

That was classic, Danny Tartabull's wasn't bad either.

Williams, Jeter and Showalter made cameos as well I believe.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:18:31 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #637 on: July 23, 2012, 09:28:33 PM »

That's hilarious! 

Some Cards fans were none too happy when Rafael Furcal got Jimmy Edmonds 15 as well, made even more funny because Edmonds has a restaraunt in STL named "Jim Edmonds 15 Steakhouse".

That oh so thin line between fan and fanatic again.

EDIT: looks like Ichiro will be wearing 31 so I guess the William's fans can stand down, riot averted.

Yeah, Ichiro even stated during the press conference he wouldn't take 51. He understood what Bernie meant to the Yankees etc.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #638 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »

The guy who briefly wore 21 after Paul was LaTroy Hawkins.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #639 on: July 23, 2012, 10:17:47 PM »

The guy who briefly wore 21 after Paul was LaTroy Hawkins.

I'd be pissed at that too if I was Yankee fan. Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: