Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2024, 06:28:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228344 Posts in 43273 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 198836 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #580 on: July 16, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »

You can't fault him for the on the field performance of the team.

But you can sure fault him for the lack of communication and addtional clubhouse issues that have continued to divide an organization that was already in disarray, he's not exactly a guy the troops rally around.

Bobby's never been a high road guy, never will be.

I hope the Fenway faithful give Youk a huge ovation tonight, he deserves it.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #581 on: July 16, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »

Sox employee and saber guru Bill James may have very well sealed his fate with his insane comments to ESPN"s Doug Gottleib on the Sandusky/Paterno/Penn St cover up this weekend as well, anyone else catch that?

If not, listen below - it's a worth all 15 minutes.

I thought Gottlieb was going to blow a gasket.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8164789

This from the Sox brass regarding Bill James' Paterno goofiness via Deadspin:

"Red Sox Owner John Henry & GM Ben Cherington spoke to Bill James regarding him making public his personal opinions on Joe Paterno. In that call, Mr. James was informed that his comments in no way reflect the opinions or positions of the Red Sox. Because Mr. James is perceived as representative of Red Sox, he was asked to refrain from further public comments on this matter. "

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #582 on: July 16, 2012, 07:14:23 PM »

But you can sure fault him for the lack of communication and addtional clubhouse issues that have continued to divide an organization that was already in disarray, he's not exactly a guy the troops rally around.

Definitely agree with you there. That you can absolutely fault him for.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #583 on: July 16, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »

Joey Votto out 3-4  weeks with torn meniscus, knee surgery tomorrow.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #584 on: July 16, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »

Sox fans give Youk a nice hand tonight, well done Boston.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #585 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:27 PM »

Cards did something roster wise nobody saw coming, me included.

One of their top young starting pitching prospects Trevor Rosenthal has been summoned from AA to help solidify the bullpen.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes, wasn't expected to sniff the big leagues for at least another year.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #586 on: July 16, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »

Joey Votto out 3-4  weeks with torn meniscus, knee surgery tomorrow.

Ouch, that's gonna hurt the Reds.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #587 on: July 16, 2012, 08:12:11 PM »

Sox fans give Youk a nice hand tonight, well done Boston.

Good, i respect fans who remember what you did for them. That's one thing you can say about Yankee fans. They always appreciate you when you come back.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #588 on: July 16, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »

Cards did something roster wise nobody saw coming, me included.

One of their top young starting pitching prospects Trevor Rosenthal has been summoned from AA to help solidify the bullpen.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes, wasn't expected to sniff the big leagues for at least another year.

Interesting, you don't see a guy go from AA to the majors very often.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #589 on: July 16, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »

Girardi announced Gardner has suffered another setback. Still experiencing stiffness in his elbow. He's going for another MRI and will see Dr. Andrews again. His return this season isn't looking very promising.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #590 on: July 16, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »

Wow, Bautista just left the game. Something with his hand after hitting a foul ball.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »

As incredible as this may sound, its not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Rivera could return this season. His rehab is reportedly ahead of schedule. He's already tossing balls with his sons and the Dr that performed the surgery was quoted as saying he'd bet on Mo. I wouldn't say its likely to happen, but if its one thing i've learned about Rivera, never bet against him doing something you think he can't.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2012, 11:46:22 PM »

there were major clubhouse issues last year under a manager everyone seemingly loved. Who's to say ANY manager would have changed the culture? At some point you have to lay some blame on the payers themselves.

And the fans at Fenway gave Youk huge ovations all night long. As long as you don't go to the Yankees via free agency, the fans will always show their appreciation. Youk was a special case though, a fan favorite. No doubt he'd get a welcomed reception. He went 3-4 too AND the Red Sox won, so a good night all around. Oh yeah, except for the fact that David Ortiz left the game with an achilles injury. The trend continues. Crawford comes back, Ortiz goes down. It's like clockwork.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:47:55 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #593 on: July 17, 2012, 12:08:05 AM »

Who's to say ANY manager would have changed the culture? At some point you have to lay some blame on the payers themselves.

I get what you're saying for sure although wasn't Henry's choosing of Valentine partially due to the perception he would be a strong enough personality to change a clubhouse gone bad?

Cherington wanted no part of Valentine, correct?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #594 on: July 17, 2012, 12:50:44 AM »

Well if he was looking for someone to change the culture of the clubhouse, picking someone who is kicking shit up in the press about his players is probably not the best choice.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #595 on: July 17, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »

Bautista has a tendon injury in the wrist, severity unknown yet, MRI to come Tuesday to determine just how bad it is. It didn't look good at all. He had to have someone hold his wrist as he walked off the field.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #596 on: July 17, 2012, 06:21:39 AM »

Ortiz came up lame last night, too, running the bases.

Any word on that injury.

If that's in any way serious.....Sox are going to be in BIG trouble.

Heard an interview with him after the game where he sort of said he was fine....but it didn't look like he was fine when he did it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #597 on: July 17, 2012, 06:30:29 AM »

Sox are just not a very good team period. Partially due to injury partially to under performance. Bobby V is doing the best he can with what he has. You can't fault him for the on the field performance of the team.

And, as bad as they've been...they're .5 game out of 2nd place in the AL East (granted, that's 10 losses out) and only a game out of a wild card spot.

There are teams that would kill to have a GOOD year like that.  Granted, this is the Red Sox, and they (like the Yankees) have higher expectations.   But this team isn't remotely out of contention, yet.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #598 on: July 17, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »

I also wonder what, when/if the league catches up the Middlebrooks,  people will think in the dog days of August if/when Middlebrooks is hitting .225 and Youk is hitting .260....

Since the trade:

Youk: 61 ABs, .295 Avg, .397 OB%, .475 SLG%, .895 OPS, with 3 HRS (and 5 total extra  base hits).

Middlebrooks:  43 AB's (because of an injury), .186 Avg, .200 OB%, .418 SLG%, .618 OPS%, with 2 HRs (and 4 total extra base hits).

I bring this up ONLY because of the (continued) comments Valentine has made about Youk.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #599 on: July 17, 2012, 06:52:42 AM »

Ibanez for 1.1 million....could be worth 4 with incentives.

That's cheap enough, if he doesn't perform...and worthwhile if he does.

Another blast from the past:

I think he's already outperformed that salary, especially considering the loss of Gardner (who, at this point, we may not see back this season).

He's been a clutch hitter, a passable defender (with some notable exceptions), and a productive player all around. 

Here's hoping it continues!

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: