Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:20:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 194530 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #400 on: June 02, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »

In the end it doesn't matter cause the league isn't gonna change it. If they didn't change the blown perfect game call they sure aren't this one.

I'm not look for or expecting the league to do anything - just showing an example of one ump taking responsibility for a mistake and another avoiding all accountability in game(s) that carried historic significance.

Agreed, he should at least own up to the mistake.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #401 on: June 03, 2012, 05:27:10 PM »

Impressive start today for Hughes. He was flat out dominant.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #402 on: June 04, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »

Ha, I'll take it however it comes, Falcon, so go suck on a foul line!  Wow, I'm in fucking shock right now.

I'm happy for you George, you just witnessed the 26th one hitter it's Mets history! Wink

Falcon, you're starting to hurt my feelings --- the Mets have 35 one-hitters!

Anyway, it's been one long party this weekend; still loving the afterglow of this, but recovering from what is either a hangover or still being drunk. 
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #403 on: June 05, 2012, 08:40:59 PM »

Andy Pettitte having another very good start. Damn shame he took a year off its obvious he still has something left in the tank.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #404 on: June 05, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »

Ha, I'll take it however it comes, Falcon, so go suck on a foul line!  Wow, I'm in fucking shock right now.

I'm happy for you George, you just witnessed the 26th one hitter it's Mets history! Wink

Anyway, it's been one long party this weekend; still loving the afterglow of this, but recovering from what is either a hangover or still being drunk. 

Sorry George, typo on my part.

We should probably put an  *asterisk* by my post!  Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #405 on: June 06, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »

Maybe... try borrowing one from your hitting coach.   Grin  peace
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #406 on: June 06, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »

Maybe... try borrowing one from your hitting coach.   Grin  peace

I see what ya did there, went all "Daily News" on me didn't ya? yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #407 on: June 06, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »

Haha, apparently so, along with just about every other sports news outlet outside of St. Louis. 

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #408 on: June 06, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »

Haha, apparently so, along with just about every other sports news outlet outside of St. Louis. 

The St Louis paper thing was just a move to elicit reaction, and it did.

The Daily News taking the McGwire jab was borerline hysterical, they along with 100% of the "outside of St Louis" media fawned over Mac, Sammy, Bonds et al - it was hardly St Louis Post Dispatch specific.

The fact of it being 14 year old counterpunch was even more funny, what's next "Your mama" jokes in the Daily News' comic section?

Even more goofy was Daily News' (and long time Met honk) Mike Lupica's column(s) afterwards, the same guy who demanded MLB over rule Jim Joyce's horrific call in the Armando Gallaraga perfect game bid gives a free pass to Adrian Johnson in Santana no hitter.

I'm happy for Santana and true LetsGo's fans as your good self but find the defensive reations by the Daily News and it's staff silly.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »

The St Louis paper thing was just a move to elicit reaction, and it did.

The Daily News taking the McGwire jab was borerline hysterical, they along with 100% of the "outside of St Louis" media fawned over Mac, Sammy, Bonds et al - it was hardly St Louis Post Dispatch specific.

The fact of it being 14 year old counterpunch was even more funny, what's next "Your mama" jokes in the Daily News' comic section?

Even more goofy was Daily News' (and long time Met honk) Mike Lupica's column(s) afterwards, the same guy who demanded MLB over rule Jim Joyce's horrific call in the Armando Gallaraga perfect game bid gives a free pass to Adrian Johnson in Santana no hitter.

I'm happy for Santana and true LetsGo's fans as your good self but find the defensive reations by the Daily News and it's staff silly.

I actually didn't read that Daily News article so not sure but it's a pretty obvious comeback to what I think most saw as playful ribbing about the no-hitter, which I totally appreciate and expect, otherwise why be a sports fan.  To the extent anyone was serious about it, that'd be kind of dumb, just as any over-the-top defensiveness would be.

Anyway, by the time I sobered up, it all seemed to have become a dead issue.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »

And that's all that matters really, it was a great moment for Santana/Mets/fans alike - everything else is just a footnote or an answer to a trivia question now.

I prob should've given you one of these  beer a few days ago!

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »

And that's all that matters really, it was a great moment for Santana/Mets/fans alike - everything else is just a footnote or an answer to a trivia question now.

I prob should've given you one of these  beer a few days ago!

Thanks!  Odds are against me living another 50 years for the next one, but 'ya gotta believe'!   beer
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #412 on: June 06, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »

Andy Pettitte having another very good start. Damn shame he took a year off its obvious he still has something left in the tank.

He's been incredible, love watching him pitch, a master of the fine art.  Just pounds the areas of the strike zone where the hitters can't get the barrel of the bat on the ball.  Young pitchers could learn a lot from him --- it's not about 'stuff', the key to success in pitching is location.   
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #413 on: June 06, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »

He's been incredible, love watching him pitch, a master of the fine art.  Just pounds the areas of the strike zone where the hitters can't get the barrel of the bat on the ball.  Young pitchers could learn a lot from him --- it's not about 'stuff', the key to success in pitching is location.   

Yep, he's doing it with an 88mph fastball. Its not about blowing the guy away. Its moving the ball around, changing eye level, changing speeds. That's how how you keep a hitter off balance and he's a master at it. He's actually gotten better with age cause he's pitching more now instead of relying on the cutter like when he was younger. Hughes and Nova need to pick his brain and watch Andy. He could teach those two so much.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #414 on: June 07, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »

Nova was also VERY good last night (outside the 9th...you could see the fatigue).

If they can get guys to pitch like they have THIS time through the rotation (well, except CC)...they're going to do pretty well, no matter what they hit with RISP. 

On the Mets no-no:  Until MLB decides to allow replay, there are no astericks for calls on the field.  Bad or good...that's what they are.

When people start talking astericks for that stuff, I have to chuckle.  Are you honestly telling me that you KNOW there were NO bad calls made back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's...when there was no 24 hour news cycle, no broadcast/tape of every game, and no ability to use replay?

I don't buy it.  I suspect similar mistakes were made, in similar situations, on occasion.  We just don't/didn't hear about them for obvious reasons.

Now, technology has caught up.  It's given us obvious EVIDENCE of those human failings.  And I'm 100% on board with increased use of replay in some fashion....but until/unless that happens, you take the good and the bad calls from the umps, and accept the outcomes as they happen.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #415 on: June 07, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »

I was very impressed by the last start of Hughes, Pettitte and Nova. If those guys continue pitching this way we are going to be tough to beat and you know our struggles with RISP won't continue.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #416 on: June 11, 2012, 04:13:56 PM »

I'm am officially going out on a limb and predicting, here in public, that  a Yanks pitcher hits a home run within the next 6 games (3@ Atlanta, 3@ Washington).  I am not altered or drunk, and am of generally sound mind (well....as sound as I normally am).

I await your ridicule.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:16:45 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #417 on: June 11, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »

I'm am officially going out on a limb and predicting, here in public, that  a Yanks pitcher hits a home run within the next 6 games (3@ Atlanta, 3@ Washington).  I am not altered or drunk, and am of generally sound mind (well....as sound as I normally am).

I await your ridicule.

LOL that prediction is a bit far fetched, but stranger things have happened.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #418 on: June 12, 2012, 12:20:10 AM »

I await your ridicule.
That is kind of a strange prediction.  Any reasoning behind it, or just taking a shot in the dark?  Not sure if Phil Hughes has been hitting bombs in BP or something.  You'll look like a genius if it does happen. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #419 on: June 12, 2012, 06:42:48 AM »

That is kind of a strange prediction.  Any reasoning behind it, or just taking a shot in the dark?  Not sure if Phil Hughes has been hitting bombs in BP or something.  You'll look like a genius if it does happen. 

A little of both.....

CC's been hitting bombs in BP.

Mostly a shot in the dark.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: