Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:20:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 194531 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #380 on: May 22, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

In my money league, I've lost Pineda, Luebke and now Worley to injury.

Im left with Johan Santana, Matt Moore, Matt Cain and Phil Hughes.......... So i need a 5th starter pronto.

Guy wants Andy Dirks for Nova........ I picked him up a few weeks ago for the hell of it but my outfield is :Josh Hamilton,Bryce Harper, Mike Stanton and Josh Reddick, so he certainly is expendable.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2012, 12:48:40 AM »

haven't followed much Yankee stuff in a bit.

is Ivan Nova still a pretty good long term prospect?

Fantasy related.

He's struggled his past two starts but part of it is our offense has been terrible with Gardner out. So none of our starters have been getting run support. You can't win a game if your team can't score.
it's not all about wins though. His overall numbers have been pretty poor of late. All season really, with the exception of a few starts. His strikeout numbers are good but he's been quite hittable. That is when guys are able to make contact against him.

He's always been pretty hittable since he is a contact pitcher but definitely lately he hasn't been nearly as good as he was. You can say that about the whole rotation though. Even Sabathia got his ass kicked last time.
Looking at the stats, he's been more than "pretty hittable" this year.  Guys are hitting .322 off of him compared to .258 and .268 the 2 previous years.  Now he hasn't had any real terrible starts this year it looks like.  But he's had 5 pretty bad starts and only 3 quality starts.  It's a pretty small sample, and I do think he'll be fine.  But to this point, he hasn't done very well.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #382 on: May 23, 2012, 12:52:20 AM »

In my money league, I've lost Pineda, Luebke and now Worley to injury.

Im left with Johan Santana, Matt Moore, Matt Cain and Phil Hughes.......... So i need a 5th starter pronto.

Guy wants Andy Dirks for Nova........ I picked him up a few weeks ago for the hell of it but my outfield is :Josh Hamilton,Bryce Harper, Mike Stanton and Josh Reddick, so he certainly is expendable.
I think that's probably a fair deal for you.  Dirks is better than Nova fantasy wise right now, but I'm not sure that will last long.  I have Worley in a few leagues.  Sounds like he should be back relatively soon, but he'll have to pitch through some probable pain this season.  We'll see how tough he is.  But obviously not ideal.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #383 on: May 23, 2012, 01:14:20 AM »

haven't followed much Yankee stuff in a bit.

is Ivan Nova still a pretty good long term prospect?

Fantasy related.

He's struggled his past two starts but part of it is our offense has been terrible with Gardner out. So none of our starters have been getting run support. You can't win a game if your team can't score.
it's not all about wins though. His overall numbers have been pretty poor of late. All season really, with the exception of a few starts. His strikeout numbers are good but he's been quite hittable. That is when guys are able to make contact against him.

He's always been pretty hittable since he is a contact pitcher but definitely lately he hasn't been nearly as good as he was. You can say that about the whole rotation though. Even Sabathia got his ass kicked last time.
Looking at the stats, he's been more than "pretty hittable" this year.  Guys are hitting .322 off of him compared to .258 and .268 the 2 previous years.  Now he hasn't had any real terrible starts this year it looks like.  But he's had 5 pretty bad starts and only 3 quality starts.  It's a pretty small sample, and I do think he'll be fine.  But to this point, he hasn't done very well.

I think he will too, he's still very young and still learning. The whole rotation needs to turn it around though. Oddly enough the best pitcher we've had the last two times through is Pettitte a guy who took a year off. Go figure. Hughes however was good tonight.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #384 on: May 30, 2012, 01:39:38 AM »

Just a quick update.  The Red Sox continue to play decent baseball, finally getting over the .500 mark for the first time this season by beating Justin Verlander.  BUT, the rash of injuries continue.  Now Dustin Pedroia is sidelined with a bruised thumb.  They're hoping he'll only be out a couple days.  Then again, he could be out a month.  The way things have gone this season, I'd put my money on it being closer to a month.

As for other teams.  What's going on with the Tigers?  They started the season out great and it looked Detroit and Texas were the class of the AL.  I have to believe they'll still win the Central, as I don't think the Indians or White Sox are destined to stay near the top.  But are the Tigers not as good as expected?

And watch out for those Angels.  They are finally playing the way they're capable of since they got their bullpen straightened out and Pujols remembered how to hit.  It was only a matter of time, although it's happened a little quicker than I expected as they dug themselves a huge hole to begin with.  Their pitching is scary good though.  Although I saw Weaver just went on the DL.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #385 on: May 30, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »

I'm more impressed with Falcon's Cardinals and how they continue to roll on without Pujols, Berkman, or Carpenter.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »

I'm more impressed with Falcon's Cardinals and how they continue to roll on without Pujols, Berkman, or Carpenter.

Not to be an asshole, but I think my beer league baseball team could make some noise in the NL Central..
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #387 on: June 01, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »

Mets are doing the old "build me up let me down buttercup" routine with me.  Negative 24 run differential but somehow 5 games over .500.   
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #388 on: June 01, 2012, 11:37:30 AM »

Mets are doing the old "build me up let me down buttercup" routine with me.  Negative 24 run differential but somehow 5 games over .500.   

Diamondbacks, last year, had a negative run differential and still made the playoffs.

It doesn't happen very often, but it DOES happen.  We'll see how they're doing at the AS break.

PS: Ike Davis has to hit!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #389 on: June 01, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »

Diamondbacks, last year, had a negative run differential and still made the playoffs.

It doesn't happen very often, but it DOES happen.  We'll see how they're doing at the AS break.

PS: Ike Davis has to hit!

Ike's been a disaster, but I can't imagine him being so bad the rest of the way.  But then again, Wright won't keep up his torrid pace and there's the ominous return of Jason Bay from the DL. 

I did not expect Santana to be as good as he's been.  Dickey's been awesome too.  But the bullpen still sucks and the hitting has been weak.  After Wright, their best hitters are bench players (Baxter and Hairston). 

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #390 on: June 01, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »

Johan Santana just threw the first no-hitter in Mets history! Congrats to him and the Mets.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #391 on: June 01, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »

Johan Santana just threw the first no-hitter in Mets history! Congrats to him and the Mets.

Does 3B ump Adrian Johnson get credited with the save?

The Beltran ball down the line was beyond obviously fair, chalk imprint and all.

NIce for Santana though in the end, dude has battled back from hell.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #392 on: June 01, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »

Ha, I'll take it however it comes, Falcon, so go suck on a foul line!  Wow, I'm in fucking shock right now.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #393 on: June 01, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

The Beltran ball down the line was beyond obviously fair, chalk imprint and all.

He should it was definitely a fair ball. You're right though can't help but be happy for Santana.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #394 on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »

Ha, I'll take it however it comes, Falcon, so go suck on a foul line!  Wow, I'm in fucking shock right now.

I'm happy for you George, you just witnessed the 26th one hitter it's Mets history! Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #395 on: June 02, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »

He should it was definitely a fair ball. You're right though can't help but be happy for Santana.
Sometimes they get'em right.  Sometimes they don't.  Who can forget the Armando Galarraga should be perfect game with that blown call at 1B at the END of the game to boot.  Just awful. 

In the end, even though it WAS a hit, it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome of the game.  Give them their no hitter and move on.  Poor Mets have been HORRID for years now.  Give them something to celebrate.

And for once, a no hitter by an elite pitcher.  So often these guys career it for one night, get a no no, then go back to mediocrity.  Or so it seems.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #396 on: June 02, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

Sometimes they get'em right.  Sometimes they don't.  Who can forget the Armando Galarraga should be perfect game with that blown call at 1B at the END of the game to boot.  Just awful. 

In the end, even though it WAS a hit, it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome of the game.  Give them their no hitter and move on.  Poor Mets have been HORRID for years now.  Give them something to celebrate.

And for once, a no hitter by an elite pitcher.  So often these guys career it for one night, get a no no, then go back to mediocrity.  Or so it seems.

The "hit" actually happened with no out with the Cards down 2-0, easily a lead off double - coulda been a difference maker but we'll never know...

The ump blew the post game presser as well, asked if he got the call right he replied with "No comment".

At least Jim Joyce fessed up to his mistake..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »

In the end it doesn't matter cause the league isn't gonna change it. If they didn't change the blown perfect game call they sure aren't this one.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #398 on: June 02, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »

In the end it doesn't matter cause the league isn't gonna change it. If they didn't change the blown perfect game call they sure aren't this one.

I'm not look for or expecting the league to do anything - just showing an example of one ump taking responsibility for a mistake and another avoiding all accountability in game(s) that carried historic significance.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »

I'm not look for or expecting the league to do anything - just showing an example of one ump taking responsibility for a mistake and another avoiding all accountability in game(s) that carried historic significance.
I heard that this morning.  That is lame.  Fortunately most refs/umps will admit when they've made the wrong call, and that's the right thing to do.  This guy just looks like more of a fool for failing to admit he made a mistake.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: