Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 03:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 193855 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #320 on: May 02, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »

I posted the same thing on hardballtalk a few hours earlier, I'm honored Deadspin poached my angle. Grin

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #321 on: May 02, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »

"I told em, 'Roger Clemens said dis, Roger Clemens said dat'... but it was all LIES!"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #322 on: May 02, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »

"I told em, 'Roger Clemens said dis, Roger Clemens said dat'... but it was all LIES!"

You took that one deep George, well done. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2012, 10:13:03 AM »

You took that one deep George, well done. yes

Nah, you connecting the scene to begin with was the walk-off.  By the way, how are you liking Beltran so far?  Not shocked at all how well he's played, but I might be a bit surprised if you get 150 games out of him.

Hey Faldor, I see the newest fackin' Sawk is none other than Mark Prior.  I'm still amazed at how he just flamed out, that guy was so good.  I know he had those horrible shoulder injuries, but I can't think of any other pitcher in recent memory who could not come back at all from an elbow or shoulder injury.  Hope he's well this time. 

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #324 on: May 03, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »

He wasn't that bad last night. He got into the 6th only giving up 3 runs on two bad pitches. You can't blame him for Nunez being a moron in left after Hughes was gone from the game. I don't understand why the yankees keep Nunez around. He's a liability no matter where he plays in the field. Everytime i see him in the lineup to give someone a day off i wanna jump off a cliff cause i know he's gonna make at least one costly error.

Too many pitches.

Too many homeruns.

Neither of those were Nunez fault.

4 ER in 5+ innings is not good.  I blame him for THAT, not Nunez miscues in the outfield.  I don't blame Nunez for ANY of the miscues in LF...because he's not a left fielder.

His error prone defense at SS, 2nd, and 3rd...that's all on him.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #325 on: May 03, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »

...and Phil Hughes still sucks.

.....and Andy Pettitte just "misremembered" under oath.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7881353/andy-pettitte-says-misunderstood-roger-clemens-hgh-talk

Any thoughts guys?

Doesn't really matter, in the end we all know Clemens is lying and used. Who really cares if he's convicted of lying about it. He likely won't see any jail time if convicted.

Anything less than a conviction seems goofy at this point, this feels alot like the Braun fiasco with MLB only on a federal level.

Not to mention it's costing tax payers millions of dollars to prosecute  the guy and put him on trial (again).

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #326 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »

.....and Andy Pettitte just "misremembered" under oath.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7881353/andy-pettitte-says-misunderstood-roger-clemens-hgh-talk

Any thoughts guys?

Not surprised, given what I know about Andy.  It's also pretty much what he said to Congress back in '08.

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/_sports/baseball08/clemens_congress/deposition_pettitte.pdf

As the prosecutor, if you thought Andy wouldn't waffle...you didn't really know him.  And you didn't read his testimony in '08, either.

Look, Andy's a nice guy.  He tries to please EVERYONE.  He's very amenable and amiable.  If someone was going to pound on him under cross...Andy was going to question himself rather than question the person pounding him (especially an authority figure).  That's  just the type of guy he is. 

It hurts the prosecutions case, for sure.  Because now they're basing most of their case off of McNamee's testimony...and the guy is a scumbucket of the highest order.  Not the most solid basis for your case.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:19:58 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #327 on: May 03, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »

On a yankee side note, If Nova gets the winning decision tonight he ties Clemens for the most consecutive winning decisions. It may not be all in a row. He's had a few no decisions in there like the last start but that is still impressive.

Nova pitched well thorugh 6..but history says that Joe should have pulled him before the 7th.  Nova, when throwing over 100 pitches, does NOT do well.  I know he looked OK coming out of the 6th...but Joe's own binder would tell him he was pushing his luck.

Of course, most of that discussion is academic.  You can't win a game when you don't score any runs.  The Yanks offense has gone on vacation the past 3 games....and I don't think it's because the O's pitching is THAT good. 

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »

Hey Faldor, I see the newest fackin' Sawk is none other than Mark Prior.  I'm still amazed at how he just flamed out, that guy was so good.  I know he had those horrible shoulder injuries, but I can't think of any other pitcher in recent memory who could not come back at all from an elbow or shoulder injury.  Hope he's well this time. 

Yeah Prior did flame out quite quick.  I'm not expecting anything from him, but it would be nice to see him get one last shot in the bigs.  Such a talent, derailed by injuries.  If he just didn't play for the Cubs, who knows.  He and Kerry Wood might still be aces today.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2012, 04:55:52 PM »

He wasn't that bad last night. He got into the 6th only giving up 3 runs on two bad pitches. You can't blame him for Nunez being a moron in left after Hughes was gone from the game. I don't understand why the yankees keep Nunez around. He's a liability no matter where he plays in the field. Everytime i see him in the lineup to give someone a day off i wanna jump off a cliff cause i know he's gonna make at least one costly error.

Too many pitches.

Too many homeruns.

Neither of those were Nunez fault.

4 ER in 5+ innings is not good.  I blame him for THAT, not Nunez miscues in the outfield.  I don't blame Nunez for ANY of the miscues in LF...because he's not a left fielder.

His error prone defense at SS, 2nd, and 3rd...that's all on him.

Compared to how he had been pitching i still thought it was an improvement. Take away those two pitches and he's winning 1-0 in the 6th. Also, those other runs don't score if Nunez the error machine isn't in left field. He shouldn't have been in left, for that i blame Joe. I know he probably just didn't wanna play Jones and Ibanez every day in the outfield until we get Gardner and Swisher back this weekend or early next week. Nunez had no business being out there though or any other position. He's a liability whenever he's in the field. I have no idea why the Yankees are so high on him.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #330 on: May 03, 2012, 04:57:51 PM »

On a yankee side note, If Nova gets the winning decision tonight he ties Clemens for the most consecutive winning decisions. It may not be all in a row. He's had a few no decisions in there like the last start but that is still impressive.

Nova pitched well thorugh 6..but history says that Joe should have pulled him before the 7th.  Nova, when throwing over 100 pitches, does NOT do well.  I know he looked OK coming out of the 6th...but Joe's own binder would tell him he was pushing his luck.

Of course, most of that discussion is academic.  You can't win a game when you don't score any runs.  The Yanks offense has gone on vacation the past 3 games....and I don't think it's because the O's pitching is THAT good. 

It wouldn't have mattered last night anyway. If Arietta was throwing beach balls all night we would've made outs. He was pitching lights out.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #331 on: May 03, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »

By the way, how are you liking Beltran so far?  Not shocked at all how well he's played, but I might be a bit surprised if you get 150 games out of him.

Beltran's been really good so far, seems like a good guy too.

Health will always be the question, I'd be fine with 130-140 from him.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #332 on: May 03, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »

Mariano went down shagging in BP, it didn't look good.

I hate seeing stuff like this, reminded me of when Ryan Howard went down last year in the Division Series.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #333 on: May 03, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »

Compared to how he had been pitching i still thought it was an improvement. Take away those two pitches and he's winning 1-0 in the 6th.

You can say that about most of his starts.  2 or 3 long balls and he's in the game.

But that's the point.

Also, those other runs don't score if Nunez the error machine isn't in left field. He shouldn't have been in left, for that i blame Joe. I know he probably just didn't wanna play Jones and Ibanez every day in the outfield until we get Gardner and Swisher back this weekend or early next week. Nunez had no business being out there though or any other position. He's a liability whenever he's in the field. I have no idea why the Yankees are so high on him.

He's not much worse than Ibanez, and he doesn't loaf like Jones.  More balls get past Ibanez than Nunez has screwed up on. Nunez just doesn't know how to play the position.  All the options suck.  They need the bullpen padding because the starters haven't been very good, so they couldn't call anyone up to take Gardners spot while on the DL.  They decided not to put Swish on the DL...so they had zero roster space.  You've got Ibanez or Jones in RF....you do not want BOTH of those guys in the field at the same time.

The only runs that Nunez had an effect on were the last 2.  The first 4 were all on Hughes.

As was the high pitch count.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #334 on: May 03, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »

Mariano went down shagging in BP, it didn't look good.

I hate seeing stuff like this, reminded me of when Ryan Howard went down last year in the Division Series.

Just saw it.  That sucks.

Good news is..he was laughing while they carted him off.  Hopefully it's not serious (maybe a 15 day DL stint).

But, as much as I know he enjoys it..that's why you don't go hard shagging balls during BP......

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #335 on: May 03, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »

It wouldn't have mattered last night anyway. If Arietta was throwing beach balls all night we would've made outs. He was pitching lights out.

See, I didn't think the stuff was that good.

The offense just decided to swing at shit all night.  No patience, no discipline.   Which was the story in all 3 games against the O's....especially the heart of the order.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #336 on: May 03, 2012, 07:46:27 PM »

Injuries are starting to hit the Yanks, hard.

Not Red Sox hard (yet) but hard enough.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »

See, I didn't think the stuff was that good.

The offense just decided to swing at shit all night.  No patience, no discipline.   Which was the story in all 3 games against the O's....especially the heart of the order.

We seem to do that against guys we haven't seen much or that are young new pitchers. We can make a rookie look like Cy Young.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »

Early diagnosis on Mo is a twisted knee. He's going for an MRI so we'll know just how bad he twisted it after they get the results.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »

MLB Network is reporting Rivera has a torn ACL and is done for the year.

Terrible news if true.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: