Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 496288 times)
Birk
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2200 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »

Yawn....i will still be there giving my final farewell to the Original GNR  ok
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #2201 on: April 11, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »

I still have a pretty bad feeling Steven is going to make the speech even MORE awkward haha
Birk
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2202 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:23 AM »

I still have a pretty bad feeling Steven is going to make the speech even MORE awkward haha

Any suggestions on what i should say to Adler, im sure i will run into that clown this weekend out there.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #2203 on: April 12, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »

Any suggestions on what i should say to Adler, im sure i will run into that clown this weekend out there.

Congratulations?

The guy has been to hell and back. Self inflicted, sure, but fact remains he's been through a lot of shit in his life.
I don't think anything negative you have to say is going to phase him. As pathetic as some people may view it, this is a big night for him, why not let him enjoy it.
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #2204 on: April 12, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »

Congratulations?

The guy has been to hell and back. Self inflicted, sure, but fact remains he's been through a lot of shit in his life.
I don't think anything negative you have to say is going to phase him. As pathetic as some people may view it, this is a big night for him, why not let him enjoy it.

Kidding right? Adler deserves a kick in his ass.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2205 on: April 12, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »

Congratulations?

Kidding right? Adler deserves a kick in his ass.

Well go do it then.

CD will be out when it's out. ....
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #2206 on: April 12, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »

You gotta think that Slash, Duff and Matt are dreading their speeches right now.  Something tells me we aren't going to get anything more than "thanks everyone, it was a great ride" speeches out of them.  Adler on the other hand.....

Seems pretty obvious to me that Dizzy and Izzy won't be there either. 

My one last hope is that Adler does actually sit behind a drum kit on the stage by himself drumming along to AFD playing over the loudspeakers.  After he is done he leaves the stage to confused applause and the actual Rock and Roll HOF implodes like the house at the end of Poltergeist.

I think this would be the ultimate ending to this chapter in the band's history. 
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2207 on: April 12, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »

Ex-Guns N' Roses Drummer Steven Adler: Exclusive Chat About Hall of Fame Induction (VIDEO)

Apr 12th 2012

Our time with the band was spent within hours of Adler hopping an early morning flight to Cleveland, where his former band, Guns N' Roses is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend. We asked Adler about his feelings as the big day approached, and he was very open about how proud he is of his former outfit and their legacy.

Note: As we spoke with Adler, coincidentally, Axl Rose announced that he would NOT be accepting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, nor would the singer be attending the festivities.

Check out our exclusive video interview with Adler below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_PedbVVdZHE

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2208 on: April 12, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »

Duff McKagan:

Cleveland bound! GNR fans- C U on Saturday.

8:36 AM - 12 Apr 12

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2209 on: April 12, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »

Duff McKagan:

Can't wait to watch this.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #2210 on: April 12, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »

Duff McKagan:

one problem with that statement...Duff has nothing to do with GNR  Roll Eyes

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2211 on: April 12, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »

Duff McKagan:

Well, the HOF is inducting him this weekend for his past contributions to GNR. There is that pesky little detail.  Roll Eyes

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2212 on: April 12, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »

Duff McKagan:

Its petty shit like this that is just as bad as all the reunionists bullshit.  Duff is going to an event where Guns N Roses fans are going to be, where he is being honored for his work in Guns N Roses...He is telling the fans who are paying to attend the event that he will see them there...big deal.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2213 on: April 12, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »

Its petty shit like this that is just as bad as all the reunionists bullshit.  
[/quote]

Totally agree with that statement. It's the extremists on either side of these discussions that pollute the dialogue here. Some people act like they're going to get their official "GNR 2012" cookie in the mail if they take really silly fanatical stances on everything.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
DizzyReed63
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2214 on: April 12, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/12/stop_teasing_axl_rose/

Axl Rose may not want to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but his refusal to attend the induction ceremony is actually a fitting controversy ? and explains why Guns ?n Roses deserve to be enshrined.

The debate has played out on the band?s Facebook page ever since the band?s induction was announced weeks ago. Jubilant congratulations alternated with fans imploring Axl Rose, the lone remaining member from the band?s late -?80s ?classic? lineup, to reunite with his former bandmates to mark the occasion. Specifically, the diehards pleaded for the five ragtag hellraisers behind 1987?s landmark debut, ?Appetite For Destruction? ? Rose, guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler ? to set aside their differences for at least one night.

On Wednesday, Rose quashed any speculation about a reunion with a two-page open letter in which he announced he wouldn?t be attending Saturday?s induction ceremony in Cleveland. Furthermore, he ?respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N? Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of ?Guns N? Roses.??

In a puzzling contradiction, he closed the letter by ?sincerely thank[ing] the board for their nomination and their votes for Guns? induction.? (In response to this lengthy statement, the Rock Hall simply said: ?We are sorry Axl will not be able to accept his Induction in person.? Rose?s refusal to play by the rules isn?t a surprise; the band built its legacy on flouting convention.

The mercurial personalities of the most popular GNR lineup boozed hard (and, in some cases, drugged hard), played hard and made rock & roll truly dangerous again. Musically, the band?s predilection for danger was also its biggest asset. ?Appetite For Destruction? ? which has sold over 18 million copies in the U.S. alone ? was aggressive, hungry and subversive. A distillation of Aerosmith?s sleazy boogie, the Rolling Stones? strut, AC/DC and Rose Tattoo?s jagged metal and L.A.?s ever-present glam-rock and punk scenes, ?Appetite? was an antidote to the glossy arena-metal popular at the time and remains a landmark album. GNR set fire to complacency ? and merged authentic punk attitude with hard rock?s swagger better than any other band to date.

?G N? R Lies,? an eight-song EP released in late 1988, capitalized on the band?s meteoric rise. It also revealed their depth: ?Lies?? single, ?Patience,? was acoustic and subdued ? the polar opposite of ?Appetite?s? snarling fury. While nearly all hard rock bands in the ?80s had a token sensitive tune, ?Patience? was spare and vulnerable, and devoid of the self-indulgence found on other introspective songs.

Conventional wisdom goes that Nirvana?s 1991 major-label debut, ?Nevermind,? and the ensuing alternative nation onslaught cemented hair metal?s extinction. But GNR inflicted the first wound; sonically, ?Appetite? and ?Lies? primed mainstream music to be open to Nirvana?s raw angst and metallic punk. (Ironic, given there was no love lost between Kurt Cobain and Axl Rose; YouTube teems with clips of each man disparaging the other.

Not that the mainstream welcomed GNR with open arms. Even after signing with Geffen, they weren?t instant superstars. In an article titled ?Full Metal Racket!? which appeared in Billboard?s 1987 year-end issue, Bon Jovi, Poison and Whitesnake received generous write-ups, while Axl and Co. were merely described as an ?up-and-coming band making a buzz,? along with MSG, Faster Pussycat and T.N.T. At that point, ?Appetite? had been in stores for five months.

More important, according to the recent book, ?I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story Of The Music Video Revolution,? MTV only started playing the ?Appetite? single ?Welcome To The Jungle? in regular rotation after David Geffen personally called the channel and asked them to play the video more. After ?Jungle? and the more accessible ?Sweet Child O? Mine? video caught on with viewers, GNR exploded. And with that, their tenure as wildly creative video artists commenced.

In fact, the enduring legacy of 1991?s ?Use Your Illusion I? and ?Use Your Illusion II? (both of which just so happened to be released a week before ?Nevermind?) is their videos. Shot in stark black-and-white, ?Yesterdays? splices photos of the band?s younger days with simple performance footage taken from a warehouse. The clip for the livewire metallic-punk blast ?Garden Of Eden,? in contrast, is subtly funny: Shot from one vantage point, it features Rose motormouthing the lyrics with exaggerated movements, as his band shreds behind him. The hard-rock ripper ?You Could Be Mine? is tied to the soundtrack of ?Terminator 2: Judgment Day?; footage from the movie and of a bad-ass Arnold Schwarzenegger heightens its impact. And ?Dead Horse? and GNR?s version of Paul McCartney & Wings? ?Live And Let Die,? while somewhat pedestrian performance videos, demonstrate the band?s immense power as a live act.

?Illusion?s? best-known clips are for the trilogy of ?Don?t Cry,? ?November Rain? and ?Estranged,? however. Mini-movies rather than simply music videos ? and based around a short story by journalist/writer Del James, a friend of Axl Rose ? they were some of the most elaborate clips ever filmed. Exotic, mysterious and expensive, each video reportedly cost over $1 million to make. Critics called the videos self-indulgent, and the imagery and plot points could be obtuse; see the presence of dolphins everywhere in ?Estranged.? (Amusingly, ?I Want My MTV? quotes the trilogy?s director, Andy Morahan, as saying, ?I?ve been asked by students about the metaphorical imagery in those videos, and I?m like, ?Fuck if I know.??)

Sitting down to watch the nine-minute-plus videos for ?November Rain? and ?Estranged? took commitment, but it was something viewers anticipated; the clips? appearances on MTV weren?t to be missed. They were must-see events, a shared experience ? something not found in music videos again until the arrival of Lady Gaga. And like the latter, GNR used the medium in powerful, striking ways. Instead of acting out goofy or scripted storylines, the band kept things eerily parallel to their actual lives, making these videos touching personal documents.

In hindsight, the video trilogy feels like the closing of a chapter, the band looking back on their simpler days. But the original GNR seemed built for implosion, so intense they could only burn brightly for a few years. And now, it?s easy to forget how massive the band were between 1988 and 1993. They toured with Metallica and Aerosmith, headlined stadiums and hobnobbed with their idols; Elton John played piano on ?November Rain? with them in 1992 and Queen?s Brian May opened for them on the ?Use Your Illusion? tour. And GNR accomplished all this despite unpredictable behavior and ever-increasing internal (and external) conflicts, including riots at concerts in St. Louis and Montreal; uproar over lyrical content that was perceived to be racist, homophobic and violent; very-public bouts of intoxication and rude behavior; chronic lateness and lawsuits. GNR were never safe ? and they were never boring.

Perhaps the biggest tribute to the band ? and the testament to their singularity ? is that nobody has ever managed to duplicate the essence of their music. Radio rock acts such as Buckcherry and Hinder, raunch-rockers such as Nickelback, and Japanese acts X Japan and Dir En Grey can trace their lineage to Axl & Co., and any mainstream band grafting punk?s aggressive tempos to metal?s thrashier side has GNR to thank for kicking the door down first. But the danger dished out by many of these groups is often cartoonish and calculated, a third-rate Xerox of hazardous behavior.

For the last 15 or so years, naysayers and disgruntled fans have viewed GNR the same way: a pale imitation of their former selves. Besides Rose, only keyboardist Dizzy Reed ? who joined the band in 1990 ? has a link to GNR?s salad days; the rest of the lineup includes superb players with impressive r?sum?s. However, these newer musicians don?t have the notorious reputations ? or drama-filled lives  ?of the golden-age lineup. To purists, the band?s continued existence with people who aren?t the classic-era quintet has spoiled the band?s legacy.

But the possibility of something unexpected, exciting and controversial remains omnipresent in GNR?s universe, especially because Rose is at the band?s center. The frontman is one of the last true rock & roll stars, a celebrity whose erratic behavior and grandiose gestures weren?t (and aren?t) calculated to get him a reality show. He?s not worried about how others perceive his actions; frankly, he courts bad publicity. And Rose is unique in the cult of celebrity: His life is shrouded in mystery, and his motives remain elusive, which is refreshing (and odd) in a society where life doesn?t happen unless it?s documented. Even his official Twitter, @axlrose, doesn?t give too much away.

It?s a shrewd stance, this secrecy, one which has kept the band compelling. Rose has guaranteed the myth of GNR still overshadows their reality. And isn?t the latter a hallmark of all great rock & roll bands? In fact, there?s something admirable about Rose sticking to his guns and refusing to give in to nostalgia. GNR never did what they were ?supposed? to do ? and still don?t ? which is how they shook rock & roll out of the doldrums. Even if Rose chooses not to participate in formal recognition of his accomplishments, that doesn?t change how vital GNR is to the evolution of rock & roll.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2215 on: April 12, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »

A rep for Slash said he would still attend Saturday but had no further comment.

And...

Ace Harper (Matt's fiancee):

Getting ready to go to Cleveland this weekend for the #RockandRollHallofFame w/ @mattsorum So proud and happy for him.

11:17 PM - 11 Apr 12

40oz
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2216 on: April 12, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

Duff McKagan:

He will actually see most of the GnR fans tomorrow night at his HOB gig.  Saturday he will see the swanky fucks down on the floor at the dinner tables. 

Does the Cleveland Ritz Carlton have a lobby bar?  If so, could be an interesting place to grab a beer and people watch the next few nights since this seems like the only 5-star place in town, unlike NYC where rock royalty could be spaced out over various hotels.

And for those that want to meet Adler, there's gotta be a Best Western nearby. 
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2217 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:16 PM »

Does the Cleveland Ritz Carlton have a lobby bar?  If so, could be an interesting place to grab a beer and people watch the next few nights since this seems like the only 5-star place in town, unlike NYC where rock royalty could be spaced out over various hotels.

And for those that want to meet Adler, there's gotta be a Best Western nearby. 

Props, that was good   rofl rofl

RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #2218 on: April 12, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »

That's lame dude. He's far from a clown. The dude is going to be remembered as a classic member of a classic band. He deserves our respect and I bet if you did run into him you'd kiss his ass and ask for a picture/autograph.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #2219 on: April 12, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »

That's lame dude. He's far from a clown. The dude is going to be remembered as a classic member of a classic band. He deserves our respect and I bet if you did run into him you'd kiss his ass and ask for a picture/autograph.

He's a fuckin' clown. Fact.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: