Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 496177 times)
superstarmc
Rocker

« Reply #2100 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »

I love the present, and i respect the past, but for me GN'R was always GN'R.  But i think, a reunion gig is impossible, unless Axl says something else. There is no reunion without Axl, and this is good.

As far as I'm concerned its not a reunion without any of the original 5.  I wouldn't consider it a reunion if Izzy wasn't there and Gilby filled in.  I wouldn't even consider it a true reunion if Sorum filled in for Adler for all songs.  I know Dizzy and Matt are being inducted too, but I always felt like this recognition was all about the Appetite 5. 

I think at least Dizzy deserves it because he has been dedicated longer than anybody other than Axl
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2101 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »

I love the present, and i respect the past, but for me GN'R was always GN'R.  But i think, a reunion gig is impossible, unless Axl says something else. There is no reunion without Axl, and this is good.

As far as I'm concerned its not a reunion without any of the original 5.  I wouldn't consider it a reunion if Izzy wasn't there and Gilby filled in.  I wouldn't even consider it a true reunion if Sorum filled in for Adler for all songs.  I know Dizzy and Matt are being inducted too, but I always felt like this recognition was all about the Appetite 5. 

I think at least Dizzy deserves it because he has been dedicated longer than anybody other than Axl

Dizzy deserves it-he's been in 21 years now.

libertad
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2102 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »

It was neat when Gilby put out his solo album and tour in 1994, because there was nothing going on with GNR or Slash, for that matter-this was pre-internet-I was basically waiting for Metal Edge magazine to come out every month to get any info-GNR had run its course on MTV, so they had no info at all about what was going on-I remember hoping they would play Woodstock that year.
HAHA I did the same!  I got to see Gilby and Slash tour sometime around them too.  That was pretty cool because I hadn't been that close to the band ever. 
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2103 on: April 11, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »

It was neat when Gilby put out his solo album and tour in 1994, because there was nothing going on with GNR or Slash, for that matter-this was pre-internet-I was basically waiting for Metal Edge magazine to come out every month to get any info-GNR had run its course on MTV, so they had no info at all about what was going on-I remember hoping they would play Woodstock that year.
HAHA I did the same!  I got to see Gilby and Slash tour sometime around them too.  That was pretty cool because I hadn't been that close to the band ever. 

Same here-I did see Izzy with the Ju Ju Hounds in 1992.

libertad
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2104 on: April 11, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »

Just some quick examples of why this thing makes very little sense.

Steven Adler - drums - in band five (5) years - no writing credits
Matt Sorum - drums - in band seven (7) (?) years - no writing credits
Brain - drums - in band six (6)+ years - writing credits [not inducted]
Gilby Clarke - rhythm guitars - in band two (2) years - no writing credits [not inducted]
Tommy Stinson - bass - in band 13+ years - writing credits [not inducted]

I'm not saying any past members weren't important for the band at the time or anything like that.

Just wondering how one drummer is deemed more important than another based on the fact that he was in the band when they were the biggest band in the world. In a totally different era, when MTV played music videos and downloading was something a few geeks did.

Why is the RNRHOF acting like GN'R ended? So they can get themselves some publicity by promoting the magical reunion?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2105 on: April 11, 2012, 10:58:17 AM »

Why is the RNRHOF acting like GN'R ended? So they can get themselves some publicity by promoting the magical reunion?

/jarmo

I think the problem with inducting current or CD era members is the sheer volume of people. Where do you stop and start there? They have chosen to induct the people involved in GNR's first run.

On another note, the HOF has gotten a lot of press out of the reunion rumors. It has really worked in their favor that no one has come out and said "this ain't happening that night."

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #2106 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »

Maybe, if people are still talking about the band in 2033, the people who worked on Chinese Democracy will be inducted. There can't be that many bands they'd be up against by that time. Wink
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2107 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:43 AM »

Gilby Clarke - rhythm guitars - in band two (2) years - no writing credits [not inducted]

I'm not saying any past members weren't important for the band at the time or anything like that.

Just wondering how one drummer is deemed more important than another based on the fact that he was in the band when they were the biggest band in the world. In a totally different era, when MTV played music videos and downloading was something a few geeks did.

/jarmo

Sorry, but the rock hall is about making money, and will put out whatever lineup is most familiar with the general public.

libertad
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2108 on: April 11, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »

Duff has written an article in ESPN about it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/news/story?id=7799013

Duff Talks Guns N?Roses At The RNRHOF - ESPN

Some of you may know that my band Guns N' Roses will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend in Cleveland. My editor has been hoping that somehow I could write about what this whole thing is like from the "inside."

Truthfully, it has been hard for me to find a good place from which to start and write such an article, head-space wise.

We are not a band anymore, and haven't been for some time. We are all still alive and well, but there has been some muddy water that has gone underneath the bridge. But water, muddy or otherwise, does indeed flow past and forever away, and I have nothing but the best of memories and highest level of love and admiration and feelings of brotherhood with all of those dudes. Seriously.

I was sent a sort of open letter addressed to us guys in GNR from a fella named Chris Gehert on behalf of "Worldwide Guns N' Roses Fans," and it sort of stopped me short. I will run it now in its entirety:

"Dear Guns N' Roses,

On Saturday April 14th 2012 you will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This gave a great hope to every GNR fan on the planet for a one time reunion show. Our one and only chance to see the original lineup on stage together again, if only for five minutes. Something we've been told for years would never happen. Rumors swirled, the band denied, and the fans prayed. It will always be okay because you never promised us anything.

With less than 2 weeks before the induction, the fans are watching as our reunion hopes start to disappear like Marty McFly's family in a polaroid picture. Each day it seems like there is some new story about how there has been no communication, nobody knows what is required of them, nobody's talking, and nobody really seems to care.

We care.

It would be easy for you to just show up, accept the induction, spend a few awkward minutes together at a podium and not talk again until somebody's funeral. But this time we need more.

We are not trying to be selfish, God knows you have given us plenty of legendary songs, spectacular shows, and classic rock moments. You are sincerely the best rock band in the history of the world. All of your solo efforts and reincarnations of the group are awesome too.

Your music has inspired billions of people. Each one of you is still a fan inside. You loved Elton John, Aerosmith, Queen, Kiss, The Misfits, ELO and more. Please remember how great it feels to see your favorite band play.

We beg you to pick up the phone, grab your instruments, drag Izzy to Cleveland and play together.

You can make music history. Please do it. Give us one more memory. We deserve it.

We will continue to support you no matter what, but at the end of each concert Axl tells the crowd to "Not take ... from anyone." And that means ANYONE!

Sincerely,

Worldwide Guns N' Roses Fans."

And to this point: The one reason that I am going to Cleveland this weekend is not to savor in some polite accolade or because an award show is that important to me. I am going because I have realized how important this is all to those many, many fans that supported us and believed in us, and showed up for us in droves.

Music is not like sports, and hence, a Hall of Fame in music is almost a false pedestal to sit upon. There are no statistics in music and art. No band or artist is "better" than another. Music comes from a primal place. Thin air. Dreams. And a lot of really hard damn work.

No one worked harder than us back then, and we were very fortunate to have met each other in those dirty back alleys of Hollywood sometime in 1984. We meshed and wrote, created thunder and beauty, and parlayed our real-life experience into an album that somehow related to a whole angsty world that felt just like us right then and there. It was a brilliant time.

I, too, now hope that we can just play a couple of songs there, and just sort of throw the microphone down on the stage and walk off. The rock-and-roll world would be set ablaze once again ... and we could make a bunch of fans happy and sated to some degree.

But alas, I am only responsible for me, and can only speak for me. I have forgiven and forgotten. I have grown up and manned up. Part of me growing has been to realize I am powerless over others.

This whole deal, I hope, goes off without a hitch. I do hope we can achieve some grace in our acceptance. And I hope this grace, is enough, in the end, for the best rock and roll fans in the world. The Guns N' (f---ing) Roses fans.

-- Duff

Way to put things in perspective Duff. The best case scenario would be for them to reconnect and acknowledge the fact that they as a whole created something special. The band we love whether some like it or not began over 25 years ago with those 5 guys. They clawed and struggled to the top. Only they can share that common bond because they shared the journey together.
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2109 on: April 11, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »

/jarmo

THere's a lot of things that don't make sense about the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.  The Hard Rock Cafe has more cred than the HOF.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2110 on: April 11, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »

Maybe, if people are still talking about the band in 2033, the people who worked on Chinese Democracy will be inducted. There can't be that many bands they'd be up against by that time. Wink

I like Chinese Democracy, but it's by far the least successful thing they put out studio album wise.

libertad
vicariousexistence
Headliner

« Reply #2111 on: April 11, 2012, 11:05:10 AM »

Duff has written an article in ESPN about it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/news/story?id=7799013

Duff Talks Guns N?Roses At The RNRHOF - ESPN

Some of you may know that my band Guns N' Roses will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend in Cleveland. My editor has been hoping that somehow I could write about what this whole thing is like from the "inside."

Truthfully, it has been hard for me to find a good place from which to start and write such an article, head-space wise.

We are not a band anymore, and haven't been for some time. We are all still alive and well, but there has been some muddy water that has gone underneath the bridge. But water, muddy or otherwise, does indeed flow past and forever away, and I have nothing but the best of memories and highest level of love and admiration and feelings of brotherhood with all of those dudes. Seriously.

I was sent a sort of open letter addressed to us guys in GNR from a fella named Chris Gehert on behalf of "Worldwide Guns N' Roses Fans," and it sort of stopped me short. I will run it now in its entirety:

"Dear Guns N' Roses,

On Saturday April 14th 2012 you will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This gave a great hope to every GNR fan on the planet for a one time reunion show. Our one and only chance to see the original lineup on stage together again, if only for five minutes. Something we've been told for years would never happen. Rumors swirled, the band denied, and the fans prayed. It will always be okay because you never promised us anything.

With less than 2 weeks before the induction, the fans are watching as our reunion hopes start to disappear like Marty McFly's family in a polaroid picture. Each day it seems like there is some new story about how there has been no communication, nobody knows what is required of them, nobody's talking, and nobody really seems to care.

We care.

It would be easy for you to just show up, accept the induction, spend a few awkward minutes together at a podium and not talk again until somebody's funeral. But this time we need more.

We are not trying to be selfish, God knows you have given us plenty of legendary songs, spectacular shows, and classic rock moments. You are sincerely the best rock band in the history of the world. All of your solo efforts and reincarnations of the group are awesome too.

Your music has inspired billions of people. Each one of you is still a fan inside. You loved Elton John, Aerosmith, Queen, Kiss, The Misfits, ELO and more. Please remember how great it feels to see your favorite band play.

We beg you to pick up the phone, grab your instruments, drag Izzy to Cleveland and play together.

You can make music history. Please do it. Give us one more memory. We deserve it.

We will continue to support you no matter what, but at the end of each concert Axl tells the crowd to "Not take ... from anyone." And that means ANYONE!

Sincerely,

Worldwide Guns N' Roses Fans."

And to this point: The one reason that I am going to Cleveland this weekend is not to savor in some polite accolade or because an award show is that important to me. I am going because I have realized how important this is all to those many, many fans that supported us and believed in us, and showed up for us in droves.

Music is not like sports, and hence, a Hall of Fame in music is almost a false pedestal to sit upon. There are no statistics in music and art. No band or artist is "better" than another. Music comes from a primal place. Thin air. Dreams. And a lot of really hard damn work.

No one worked harder than us back then, and we were very fortunate to have met each other in those dirty back alleys of Hollywood sometime in 1984. We meshed and wrote, created thunder and beauty, and parlayed our real-life experience into an album that somehow related to a whole angsty world that felt just like us right then and there. It was a brilliant time.

I, too, now hope that we can just play a couple of songs there, and just sort of throw the microphone down on the stage and walk off. The rock-and-roll world would be set ablaze once again ... and we could make a bunch of fans happy and sated to some degree.

But alas, I am only responsible for me, and can only speak for me. I have forgiven and forgotten. I have grown up and manned up. Part of me growing has been to realize I am powerless over others.

This whole deal, I hope, goes off without a hitch. I do hope we can achieve some grace in our acceptance. And I hope this grace, is enough, in the end, for the best rock and roll fans in the world. The Guns N' (f---ing) Roses fans.

-- Duff

wow, i'm choked up.

My posts all have hidden messages.  It's your job to find it.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #2112 on: April 11, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »

I like Chinese Democracy, but it's by far the least successful thing they put out studio album wise.

And yet still one of the most successful rock albums in recent years. I'm not convinced there will be many artists (of any genre) still relevant enough in 2033 to qualify, even if there is a lot of newer music I like.

EDIT: Also, just a reminder that the entire band shares writing credits for every original track on Appetite and Lies, so yeah... Steven has writing credits. Whether that's accurate or not is another matter, but legally he has credits.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:09:43 AM by AxlReznor » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2113 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »

Are you saying all the artists that were inducted put out albums that are all 10/10?

The Rolling Stones hasn't kept putting out one Exile On Main St after another....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2114 on: April 11, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »

And yet still one of the most successful rock albums in recent years. I'm not convinced there will be many artists (of any genre) still relevant enough in 2033 to qualify, even if there is a lot of newer music I like.

Before I get attacked, I like the album, and would rather hear them play the whole album live thananything from AFD or UYI at this point, but saying it's one of the most successful rock albums in recent years is really stretching it a bit-maybe quality wise, but sales were not that good.

libertad
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2115 on: April 11, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »

Are you saying all the artists that were inducted put out albums that are all 10/10?

The Rolling Stones hasn't kept putting out one Exile On Main St after another....

/jarmo

You're asking for reasons why Tommy and Brain are not inducted, I give them-I never said anything about quality, I said sales-you make it seem like the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has been fair all these years except for GNR.

libertad
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #2116 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »

Objetive Of HOF:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GN'R Are back... Walking GREAT... HOF Only Personal Interest.

Adler - Debut/Line Up AFD - Beginning

Matt - Pop Era/Fashion Gold - 1st World Tour

Brian - Salvation Of GN'R - Not Pop ERA/Epic Disc

Then In 25 Years... Brian Also Inducted... HOF:

FUCK YOU !@@

Cool

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2117 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »

Objetive Of HOF:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

FUCK YOU !@@

Cool

I would agree about the HOF and $, I would hardly describe 1991-1993 as a Pop era in music as opposed to 2008.

libertad
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #2118 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »

Before I get attacked, I like the album, and would rather hear them play the whole album live thananything from AFD or UYI at this point, but saying it's one of the most successful rock albums in recent years is really stretching it a bit-maybe quality wise, but sales were not that good.

It went platinum. You realise how rare that is for a rock album nowadays? You have to be a big name from the 90's or before for that to happen (with a few notable exceptions). So yes, the sales were disappointing by Guns N' Roses standards, but in the grand scheme of things it did pretty well.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #2119 on: April 11, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »

Objetive Of HOF:

FUCK YOU !@@

Cool

I would agree about the HOF and $, I would hardly describe 1991-1993 as a Pop era in music as opposed to 2008.

Pop Era = Rock Popular

Metallica, Poison, GN`R, Whitesnake, Ac/Dc, Warrant, etc, etc

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: