Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 07:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 495204 times)
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1300 on: March 24, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »

If you can only name two songs by KISS you're missing out on some great shit. Just sayin'.

KISS may be pretentious and sometimes absurd but they've made some of the greatest rock of all time. And are pioneers in shock rock and overall big show stage presentations. And lol - Larger commercial success? Commercial success doesn't get much larger than KISS...

To say they don't deserve to be in the HOF is simply wrong. The hall is a joke and KISS isn't even the least of the bands they have snubbed.

Broski
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1301 on: March 24, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »

yeah it makes no sense, the new Chili Pepper guitarist has only been the band for 5 years(he joined in 07 during Stadium Arcadium), and toured 2 albums for them.  He has no business being in there.  Neither does Dave Navarro.  Usually the Hall gets it right, as they did by leaving Gary Cherone out when Van Halen got in.  

Also in the case of Rob Truijillo, time has proven that he does belong in there  with them.  He has been in the band for 11 years, sold millions of records with them and is viewed as an equal part of the band.  It is hard to imagine Metallica today without him, and what he has done for them over the lat 11 years.  10 years from now if Klinghoffer is still in the band and they are still selling out arenas then maybe we will think differently.

Thats my thought process:

Josh is an actual "Equal" partner in the band just as Rob was Metallica.

GNR guys are technically "Employees"  just like dave navarro was in chili's etc

like when Springsteen got in but E Street band didn't

I do not agree. What about Gilby (and I don't say he doesn't deserve it)? Wasn't he an "employee"? He have contributed on less Guns songs than for example Pitman. And what do they do when they realize the current members of Guns deserve to be inducted a few years from now? Just add 'em to the list?

Yes, I know what you'll answer "this is for Gn'r 87-93"! But Gn'R still Gn'R and can't be inducted one more time at a later point.....

That said, Hall of Fame "don't really matter". Music ain't sports......

Gilby isn't inducted either. he was an employee

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1302 on: March 24, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »

yeah it makes no sense, the new Chili Pepper guitarist has only been the band for 5 years(he joined in 07 during Stadium Arcadium), and toured 2 albums for them.  He has no business being in there.  Neither does Dave Navarro.  Usually the Hall gets it right, as they did by leaving Gary Cherone out when Van Halen got in.  

Also in the case of Rob Truijillo, time has proven that he does belong in there  with them.  He has been in the band for 11 years, sold millions of records with them and is viewed as an equal part of the band.  It is hard to imagine Metallica today without him, and what he has done for them over the lat 11 years.  10 years from now if Klinghoffer is still in the band and they are still selling out arenas then maybe we will think differently.

Thats my thought process:

Josh is an actual "Equal" partner in the band just as Rob was Metallica.

GNR guys are technically "Employees"  just like dave navarro was in chili's etc

like when Springsteen got in but E Street band didn't

I do not agree. What about Gilby (and I don't say he doesn't deserve it)? Wasn't he an "employee"? He have contributed on less Guns songs than for example Pitman. And what do they do when they realize the current members of Guns deserve to be inducted a few years from now? Just add 'em to the list?

Yes, I know what you'll answer "this is for Gn'r 87-93"! But Gn'R still Gn'R and can't be inducted one more time at a later point.....

That said, Hall of Fame "don't really matter". Music ain't sports......

Gilby isn't inducted either. he was an employee
Matt is getting inducted though, and he was an "employee".  Point is, the means of choosing who gets inducted is arbitrary and inconsistent.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1303 on: March 24, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »

Forget the title "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame.  It's really more of a MUSIC Hall of Fame, thus Madonna and other pop acts get in, and deservedly so.

Then they should drop the title. When they first start letting non-RnR acts in, they have to follow it up IMHO. So, in 5 years or so we'll see acts like Jay-Z, Eminem and others there....And the norwegian heroes A-HA rofl
Who the hell cares what it's called?  It's obviously extended to more than just pure rock and roll.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1304 on: March 25, 2012, 12:09:49 AM »

Yeah but Matt played on two of the greatest albums of all time that pushed band to Super Stardom.

Stadiums instead of arenas

u know better Faldor

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1305 on: March 25, 2012, 02:50:07 AM »

Yeah but Matt played on two of the greatest albums of all time that pushed band to Super Stardom.

u know better Faldor

Matt = Guns N' Roses

Got it.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1306 on: March 25, 2012, 03:13:57 AM »

Don't know why we are still debating the merits of the 7 getting in, they all deserve it more than anyone else.  If you want to make the argument that some more  members deserve  to be in in addition to the 7  thats fine, but not one band member you can name deserves it more than any of the 7 getting in, Matt included.

And that is not a challenge for you to start naming band members and their contributions,  I already know how awesome DJ, Richard, and all the current guys are.  The thing is not one of them played on the Illusions which sold 7 million EACH here in the states.

Yes Matt playing on the Illusions  is my only argument for him getting in, and it is also the only argument I need.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:24:24 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1307 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:48 AM »

i hate the kiss argument.  i'm an enormous fan of 70's, 80's, and 90's rock and i think i can name 2 kiss songs.  you gotta be  a larger commercial success than that.  some people love them, yes, but that doesnt make them HOF worthy.

I can't stand Kiss either but I could see an argument for putting them in. The HOF is largely about an artist's influence, and they had a great influence on bands that came after them, for better or worse.

You would think it is about influence, but if that were truly the case, Social Distortion would have been in there 4 years ago when they were first eligible.  I mean I can bitch about a few bands not being in there, but this one is mind boggling.
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1308 on: March 25, 2012, 07:11:29 AM »

If the Toxic Twins did induct the band...Is it likely Aerosmith will play?? I'm seeing 'MaMa Kin'!
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #1309 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »

Not sure if this has been posted:
Party?s over
Guns N? Roses bassist Duff McKagan quashes reunion rumors

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view.bg?articleid=1061119751&srvc=home&position=also

Title's bullshit, here is the quote on RRHOF:

But that?s not McKagan anymore. These days, he?s clear-eyed and clean-headed. He?s not even stressed about the hoopla surrounding Guns N? Roses? induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 14.

?The Hall of Fame is really kind of ridiculous, but I?m going to have fun,? he said. ?I don?t know what you?ve heard or read, but nobody knows if we?ll play together that night or not.?

Many fans pray that Duff, Axl, Slash, Izzy and Steven Adler ? the band?s original lineup ? will reunite for a couple of songs. Maybe a tour. Maybe a new album. It?s a dream McKagan isn?t entertaining.

?I?m doing a book reading at the House of Blues (in Cleveland) the night before,? he said. ?After that, I have no idea what?s going to happen for the rest of the weekend.?

He grudgingly admits a Guns N? Roses reunion and a Velvet Revolver re-incarnation both are faint (very faint) possibilities.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1310 on: March 25, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »

u know better Faldor

I have no problem with Matt getting in. He deserves it. But you said hired employees shouldn't get in. So that's obviously not a standard you should go by. That's all I was pointing out.

new gnr fan
Headliner

« Reply #1311 on: March 25, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »

u know better Faldor

Matt = Guns N' Roses

Got it.

Matt Sorums drumming was boring as fuck, Brain Mantia was the best GN'R drummer in my opinion, along with Steven and Frank.

枪和玫瑰 中國民主
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1312 on: March 25, 2012, 01:02:27 PM »

u know better Faldor

I have no problem with Matt getting in. He deserves it. But you said hired employees shouldn't get in. So that's obviously not a standard you should go by. That's all I was pointing out.

If CD had crushed the charts,spawned huge hit singles and launched GNR back into the stratosphere in the US.. I think those guys would've gotten in also.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1313 on: March 26, 2012, 02:29:09 AM »

u know better Faldor

If CD had crushed the charts,spawned huge hit singles and launched GNR back into the stratosphere in the US.. I think those guys would've gotten in also.

And yet, for all the success and acclaim of the Dio era of Sabbath, he is not inducted as a member of Sabbath.

Ali
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #1314 on: March 26, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »

u know better Faldor

And yet, for all the success and acclaim of the Dio era of Sabbath, he is not inducted as a member of Sabbath.

Ali

Ozzy was on 10 Sabbath Albums before getting booted. And that was such a classic era. As great as Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell are, and most certainly not denying Dio's immense talent and legacy, it's a completely different level to compare to one album and EP that Adler drums on, and then a double album (ok also a covers album) that Sorum drums on. And for the record, Adler AND Sorum both appear on Live Era.

What about the induction of  The Small Faces AND The Faces together as one induction? Two distinctly different groups, albeit with the same members, and a slight addition of two others. To most, that's completely unfair. Imagine if Guns was lumped together with Velvet Revolver?

Complain all you want about certain members in or not and what the value is-then think about the Small Faces/Faces situation.  Better yet, go listen to some of the hits from both groups, then decide.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1315 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »

Ali

I think its all about the heyday, which Matt and Dizzy were part of, Dio was not.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #1316 on: March 26, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

u know better Faldor

I don't think this was ever on the cards because it would have meant that a performance by the current band would be far more likely.  IMO, keeping it to the earlier members (plus extras in case originals aren't up to it or are no-shows) is the Hall's way of pushing for a reunion performance. Happily that plan seems to have backfired.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1317 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »

u know better Faldor

I don't think this was ever on the cards because it would have meant that a performance by the current band would be far more likely.  IMO, keeping it to the earlier members (plus extras in case originals aren't up to it or are no-shows) is the Hall's way of pushing for a reunion performance. Happily that plan seems to have backfired.

you're probably right, I think the only way the new guys would have gotten in is if they had like 3 or 4 records out so there would be a body of work to judge.  The Hall makes exceptions it seems for one member here and there which was the case with RHCP, but they arent going to put another 8 guys in when they only have 1 record out.

I think the easy thing for the Hall to do was look at the situation and say to themselves "lets just put in the 7 guys who were in the band when they were most commercially successful" who also happen to be the 7 guys who play on the GH record.  It is actually a very easy decision to make if you don't follow GNR as intently as we do.  In fact the board members are the only ones taking issue with the induction process.  The casual fan doesn't think anything is wrong with who is getting in at all.  That line up is Guns N Roses to them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:33:58 AM by Bodhi » Logged
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1318 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »

This is kinda a dead topic at this point, don't y'all think? The fact that they are not performing makes the whole thing a bore, and the induction will just be routine. Will some or all of 'the guys' be there? Whatever. I'm a huge Guns fan, past and present, but the level of drama revolving around this induction has completely eroded my interest. The fact that these grown men just "can't let IT go" has made for a terrific soap opera and a trashed legacy of Spinal Tap proportions. It's not like they're the first band ruined by excesses and ego trips, but at least some of those bands still managed to pull together and keep the train a'rollin............
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1319 on: March 26, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »

u know better Faldor

Ali

Ozzy was on 10 Sabbath Albums before getting booted. And that was such a classic era. As great as Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell are, and most certainly not denying Dio's immense talent and legacy, it's a completely different level to compare to one album and EP that Adler drums on, and then a double album (ok also a covers album) that Sorum drums on. And for the record, Adler AND Sorum both appear on Live Era.

What about the induction of  The Small Faces AND The Faces together as one induction? Two distinctly different groups, albeit with the same members, and a slight addition of two others. To most, that's completely unfair. Imagine if Guns was lumped together with Velvet Revolver?

Complain all you want about certain members in or not and what the value is-then think about the Small Faces/Faces situation.  Better yet, go listen to some of the hits from both groups, then decide.
I don't know what your point is, frankly, but I was trying to say that even if you have commercial and/or critical success, a non-classic or non-original lineup member can and has been ignored by the HOF.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: