Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 05:27:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228521 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 495093 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1280 on: March 23, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »

yeah it makes no sense, the new Chili Pepper guitarist has only been the band for 5 years(he joined in 07 during Stadium Arcadium), and toured 2 albums for them.  He has no business being in there.  Neither does Dave Navarro.  Usually the Hall gets it right, as they did by leaving Gary Cherone out when Van Halen got in.  

Also in the case of Rob Truijillo, time has proven that he does belong in there  with them.  He has been in the band for 11 years, sold millions of records with them and is viewed as an equal part of the band.  It is hard to imagine Metallica today without him, and what he has done for them over the lat 11 years.  10 years from now if Klinghoffer is still in the band and they are still selling out arenas then maybe we will think differently.

Thats my thought process:

Josh is an actual "Equal" partner in the band just as Rob was Metallica.

GNR guys are technically "Employees"  just like dave navarro was in chili's etc

like when Springsteen got in but E Street band didn't

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #1281 on: March 24, 2012, 03:25:57 AM »

yeah it makes no sense, the new Chili Pepper guitarist has only been the band for 5 years(he joined in 07 during Stadium Arcadium), and toured 2 albums for them.  He has no business being in there.  Neither does Dave Navarro.  Usually the Hall gets it right, as they did by leaving Gary Cherone out when Van Halen got in.  

Also in the case of Rob Truijillo, time has proven that he does belong in there  with them.  He has been in the band for 11 years, sold millions of records with them and is viewed as an equal part of the band.  It is hard to imagine Metallica today without him, and what he has done for them over the lat 11 years.  10 years from now if Klinghoffer is still in the band and they are still selling out arenas then maybe we will think differently.

Thats my thought process:

Josh is an actual "Equal" partner in the band just as Rob was Metallica.

GNR guys are technically "Employees"  just like dave navarro was in chili's etc

like when Springsteen got in but E Street band didn't

I do not agree. What about Gilby (and I don't say he doesn't deserve it)? Wasn't he an "employee"? He have contributed on less Guns songs than for example Pitman. And what do they do when they realize the current members of Guns deserve to be inducted a few years from now? Just add 'em to the list?

Yes, I know what you'll answer "this is for Gn'r 87-93"! But Gn'R still Gn'R and can't be inducted one more time at a later point.....

That said, Hall of Fame "don't really matter". Music ain't sports......

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1282 on: March 24, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »

Maybe I've missed something but I did not think Gilby Clarke was being inducted into the Hall of Fame??
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1283 on: March 24, 2012, 04:58:05 AM »

Maybe I've missed something but I did not think Gilby Clarke was being inducted into the Hall of Fame??

No reauj2003, maybe I missed something......... Embarrassed

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #1284 on: March 24, 2012, 06:21:04 AM »

as fas as i know gilby is not invited.
so its gnr 85-91 lineup

not fair if you ask me...

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1285 on: March 24, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »

Usually the Hall gets it right,
usually "the hall" has no clue, leaving out loads of bands that "deserve" this "honor". including madonna and other shit before let's say thin lizzy, rush, judas priest, kiss, deep purple, iron maiden, mot?rhead. out of those bands, I only love Lizzy, but i guess the others are worthy.

hall of fame makes sense in sports, not in music.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1286 on: March 24, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »

usually "the hall" has no clue, leaving out loads of bands that "deserve" this "honor". including madonna and other shit before let's say thin lizzy, rush, judas priest, kiss, deep purple, iron maiden, mot?rhead. out of those bands, I only love Lizzy, but i guess the others are worthy.

But not one of those bands deserves to be in there ahead of Madonna, not even close.  She is the greatest/most influential female performer of All-time!   If you are going to let bands like Judas Priest in then you have to pretty much let every band in. 

Those bands you mentioned are all worth thinking about and deserve consideration,  but Rush is the only no brainer on that list, they should be in.   The Hall has put Kiss on the ballot before, but they were not voted in by the artists and journalists, thats not the Halls fault.

Its really going to get interesting with the new wave of 90's bands in the next few years.  I think Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Green Day are the only ones who will go first ballot, the rest are probably going to have to wait a little bit.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:57:22 PM by Bodhi » Logged
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1287 on: March 24, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »

But not one of those bands deserves to be in there ahead of Madonna, not even close.  She is the greatest/most influential female performer of All-time!   If you are going to let bands like Judas Priest in then you have to pretty much let every band in. 

Those bands you mentioned are all worth thinking about and deserve consideration,  but Rush is the only no brainer on that list, they should be in.   The Hall has put Kiss on the ballot before, but they were not voted in by the artists and journalists, thats not the Halls fault.

Its really going to get interesting with the new wave of 90's bands in the next few years.  I think Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Green Day are the only ones who will go first ballot, the rest are probably going to have to wait a little bit.

You might be right: Madonna is maybe the most influential and successful female artist of all time....but she has nothing to do with rock n' roll whatsoever. So having her in a Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, and leaving out influential and successful rock n' roll acts makes no sense. I think maybe that's CheapJon's point?

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #1288 on: March 24, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »

You might be right: Madonna is maybe the most influential and successful female artist of all time....but she has nothing to do with rock n' roll whatsoever. So having her in a Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, and leaving out influential and successful rock n' roll acts makes no sense. I think maybe that's CheapJon's point?

Not that I disagree with you, but lets give Madonna a pass because of her stats.... Replace her with LL Cool J... Carry on
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1289 on: March 24, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »

I think Thin Lizzy is a no brainer.
Criminally underrated band, at least here in the states. I guess that's the reason they aren't in.
I don't think any band could boast more talent, musicianship, productivity as those guys.
Phil was a hell of a frontman, songwriter and bassist. Most bands would kill to have a guitarist as talented as Gary Moore, Roberston, Gorham, Sykes or White.
I don't understand why Downey isn't in the discussion of best drummers.
12 albums in 12 years. One of the better live acts in their day. Huge influence on metal.

Love me some Madonna, but she might be the last person that comes to mind when I think of rock n' roll.
Thin Lizzy is one of the first.
ChiDem2010
Rocker

« Reply #1290 on: March 24, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »

as fas as i know gilby is not invited.
so its gnr 85-91 lineup

not fair if you ask me...

The way I understand the whole induction thing, is that whoever was in the band at the time when the first LP was released should be invited and inducted. There's a reason why bands are only eligible for induction if it's at least 25 years since their first album release.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1291 on: March 24, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »

Forget the title "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame.  It's really more of a MUSIC Hall of Fame, thus Madonna and other pop acts get in, and deservedly so.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1292 on: March 24, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »

Not that I disagree with you, but lets give Madonna a pass because of her stats.... Replace her with LL Cool J... Carry on

....or ABBA....OMG, they are in, and the definition of rock n' roll, Motorhead, are not? This Hall of Fame loose some cred right here.....

westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1293 on: March 24, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »

Forget the title "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame.  It's really more of a MUSIC Hall of Fame, thus Madonna and other pop acts get in, and deservedly so.

Then they should drop the title. When they first start letting non-RnR acts in, they have to follow it up IMHO. So, in 5 years or so we'll see acts like Jay-Z, Eminem and others there....And the norwegian heroes A-HA rofl

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1294 on: March 24, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »

Yes it is the music Hall of Fame, some of you are still hung up on semantics here, it clearly is not just for Rock N Roll.  Rock N Roll is obviously a term being used for popular music in general, not just 2 guitars, a bass, drums and vocalist. 

With things like LL Cool J, you have to realize, that the Hall's responsibility is to put them on the ballot, thats where it ends, the actual voting process it out of the Hall's hands.  For some reason 500 music critics, artists and experts thought LL Cool J belonged in, and Bon Jovi and Kiss didnt.

Rush on the other hand never got the nomination to be put on the ballot as far as I know.  Which would make sense if I were running the Hall of Fame, but I'm not.  They should be in there, as much as Geddy Lee's voice makes me want to kill myself.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:57:30 PM by Bodhi » Logged
siraddam
Headliner

« Reply #1295 on: March 24, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »

DJ Ashba says they should do it Smiley

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/62828
vicariousexistence
Headliner

« Reply #1296 on: March 24, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »

i hate the kiss argument.  i'm an enormous fan of 70's, 80's, and 90's rock and i think i can name 2 kiss songs.  you gotta be  a larger commercial success than that.  some people love them, yes, but that doesnt make them HOF worthy.

My posts all have hidden messages.  It's your job to find it.
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1297 on: March 24, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »

i hate the kiss argument.  i'm an enormous fan of 70's, 80's, and 90's rock and i think i can name 2 kiss songs.  you gotta be  a larger commercial success than that.  some people love them, yes, but that doesnt make them HOF worthy.
No. Just no.

Broski
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1298 on: March 24, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »

I can't stand Kiss either but I could see an argument for putting them in. The HOF is largely about an artist's influence, and they had a great influence on bands that came after them, for better or worse.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1299 on: March 24, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »

I can't stand Kiss either but I could see an argument for putting them in. The HOF is largely about an artist's influence, and they had a great influence on bands that came after them, for better or worse.

Spot on.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: