Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 09:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228518 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 494511 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1100 on: March 20, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »

you can google this quote, it's been everywhere:

As previously reported, in December last year Hall Of Fame CEO Joel Peresman said: ?Who will be invited, obviously, is the original five, and Dizzy and Matt. All have RSVP?d that they will show. Everyone?s said they?re coming?.

So it just appears to be a random decision by the CEO who should be inducted then; whoever his personal favourites are. A case in point seems to be the RHCP induction where the newest guitarist Josh Klinghoffer is being inducted but Dave Navarro and Jack Sherman aren't included. Seems to render the whole thing pretty pointless really and the more I read about it, the less worthwhile the whole thing appears to be.

Yeah, but it puts the whole thing into some perspective too. Personally I think the HOF is an honor that gets a little blown out of proportion in the media. When they started inducting all these hip hop guys I could see how much of a PC dog and pony show it was. Keep this in mind too: GNR is getting inducted into someone else's HOF. The HOF does have a right to decide what lineup they want to induct.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1101 on: March 20, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »

As previously reported, in December last year Hall Of Fame CEO Joel Peresman said: ?Who will be invited, obviously, is the original five, and Dizzy and Matt. All have RSVP?d that they will show. Everyone?s said they?re coming?.

So it just appears to be a random decision by the CEO who should be inducted then; whoever his personal favourites are. A case in point seems to be the RHCP induction where the newest guitarist Josh Klinghoffer is being inducted but Dave Navarro and Jack Sherman aren't included. Seems to render the whole thing pretty pointless really and the more I read about it, the less worthwhile the whole thing appears to be.

Yeah, that makes no sense to me that Josh Klinghoffer would be inducted. Don't think Navarro should be either.
Regarding GN'R, I think they got it right. Dizzy and Sorum possibly being borderline, but in the end it makes sense.

In my opinion, Hall of Fames in general are sort of a joke.
Theres always someone in there that doesn't belong, and some deserving that aren't.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #1102 on: March 20, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »

You know what guys - I'll be the bigger man here and just say it already.

I will induct GNR into the Hall of Fame in April. It's fine - no one else wants to do it. I will be that guy.
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1103 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »

Don't forget Rob from Metallica was also inducted.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1104 on: March 20, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »

I just can't comprehend how some think a performance by the classic lineup could somehow jeopardize what the current lineup is doing.
Guns N' Roses, in any form is what it is at this point. They were once one of the biggest bands on the planet, both in the studio and on the road.
Then they fell off the face of the planet for years, and reemerged as a great live act. Some people post as if a HOF appearance is going to keep the current lineup from taking over the world.
They aren't a new band trying to get a record deal anymore.
They have a strong following, and will continue to sell tickets as long as Axl is involved and the marquee reads Guns N' Roses. Regardless of the lineup, GN'R isn't getting any bigger than they are now.
Their time as biggest band in the world is over, and it's not coming back. Their growth is not going to be stunted by having the classic lineup take the stage to perform 1 night.

It seems a popular opinion on these boards that all of the alumni is begging to be back in the band that they willingly left in the first place.
I'm not sure where that comes from, but all signs point to the opposite being true. Other than Adler, I think it's safe to say they are happy doing their own thing.
Axl seems and has stated he is happy performing with the current lineup.
Whether you like his music outside of GN'R or not, Slash clearly likes to keep busy. Since he left, GN'R hasn't exactly been the model for productivity, so doesn't seem like a great fit.
Izzy seems more than content/productive with his solo career. GN'R has been a touring machine as of late, Izzy hates to tour. Not exactly a match made in heaven.
Duff has loaded, etc etc.

If Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt and Dizzy decide as old friends and band members to celebrate their accomplishment one last time, without jumping into a big commitment, it seems the ideal time for it. Let's be honest, they aren't going to perform unless they want to. It's not a cash grab reunion tour. It's a one night award show. If they decided to do it, how could you find fault with it?

Then they almost have no choice but to go their separate ways again, as tours are already booked. That's the ideal scenario as far as I'm concerned.

Don't know who this is directed to, but frankly, if someone doesn't think that an appearance on stage, especially a performance, with the original lineup won't heighten the cries for a full-fledged reunion (tour and/or album + tour), I think that someone is delusional.  And, having said that, with GN'R embarking on a major Euro tour a month later, anyone who doesn't see that as a potential distraction, a much larger, more pronounced distraction than the general desire for a reunion, is someone who I don't think is being realistic.

If it's already decided that everyone will proceed with their separate projects, then, really, what's the point in getting everyone's hopes up for a full-fledged reunion?  That will inevitably happen, that people will become even more hopeful for a full-fledged reunion.  If the original lineup were to sound good on stage together, fans would say, "yeah, I know you guys have separate projects you're working on, but look at how good you sounded together.  Why not give us what we've wanted for so many years if you guys can still play and play well together?"

Ali
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #1105 on: March 20, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

I don't think they are going to perform so all the speculation is useless.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1106 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »

I do think there is a fine line between being a "Guns N Roses" fan and being an "Axl Rose" fan

Actually, I would offer there is a fine line between being a GUNS N ROSES fan, and being a fan of ONE particular incarnation of Guns N Roses.  Contrary to some people's opinion, Guns n Roses IS NOT JUST Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven.  Not any more.

As for whether it's asking "too much"..really, that's not for the fans to decide.  Because we're not sacrificing shit, being made to feel uncomfortable, or having to deal with the fallout.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1107 on: March 20, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »

I do think there is a fine line between being a "Guns N Roses" fan and being an "Axl Rose" fan

Actually, I would offer there is a fine line between being a GUNS N ROSES fan, and being a fan of ONE particular incarnation of Guns N Roses.  Contrary to some people's opinion, Guns n Roses IS NOT JUST Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven.  Not any more.

As for whether it's asking "too much"..really, that's not for the fans to decide.  Because we're not sacrificing shit, being made to feel uncomfortable, or having to deal with the fallout.
Agreed on both counts. Well said.

Ali
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1108 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »

I just can't comprehend how some think a performance by the classic lineup could somehow jeopardize what the current lineup is doing.

How WE feel about it isn't really all that relevant.

How you suppose AXL might feel about it is.  Sure, it's a guessing game....but at the end of the day, if they're going to bill the band on stage as Guns N Roses, his opinion is the one that matters.  Also....you have to get Axl's buy in on reuniting the "classic line up"...because he's a member of that line up.

If you can't see a scenario where Axl might object, might feel it's a slap in the face to the current lineup to go out there and perform as "Guns n Roses" with the CLASSIC line up instead of them, and if you can't see that dealing with the fallout of that appearance might be a pain in the ass...you're just not paying attention.

Together again,
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #1109 on: March 20, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »

Only 25 Days For:

- KICK ASS HATERS -

hihi

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1110 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »

Guns N' Roses, in any form is what it is at this point. They were once one of the biggest bands on the planet, both in the studio and on the road.
Then they fell off the face of the planet for years, and reemerged as a great live act. Some people post as if a HOF appearance is going to keep the current lineup from taking over the world.
They aren't a new band trying to get a record deal anymore.
They have a strong following, and will continue to sell tickets as long as Axl is involved and the marquee reads Guns N' Roses. Regardless of the lineup, GN'R isn't getting any bigger than they are now.
Their time as biggest band in the world is over, and it's not coming back. Their growth is not going to be stunted by having the classic lineup take the stage to perform 1 night.

It seems a popular opinion on these boards that all of the alumni is begging to be back in the band that they willingly left in the first place.
I'm not sure where that comes from, but all signs point to the opposite being true. Other than Adler, I think it's safe to say they are happy doing their own thing.
Axl seems and has stated he is happy performing with the current lineup.
Whether you like his music outside of GN'R or not, Slash clearly likes to keep busy. Since he left, GN'R hasn't exactly been the model for productivity, so doesn't seem like a great fit.
Izzy seems more than content/productive with his solo career. GN'R has been a touring machine as of late, Izzy hates to tour. Not exactly a match made in heaven.
Duff has loaded, etc etc.

If Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt and Dizzy decide as old friends and band members to celebrate their accomplishment one last time, without jumping into a big commitment, it seems the ideal time for it. Let's be honest, they aren't going to perform unless they want to. It's not a cash grab reunion tour. It's a one night award show. If they decided to do it, how could you find fault with it?

Then they almost have no choice but to go their separate ways again, as tours are already booked. That's the ideal scenario as far as I'm concerned.

Don't know who this is directed to, but frankly, if someone doesn't think that an appearance on stage, especially a performance, with the original lineup won't heighten the cries for a full-fledged reunion (tour and/or album + tour), I think that someone is delusional.  And, having said that, with GN'R embarking on a major Euro tour a month later, anyone who doesn't see that as a potential distraction, a much larger, more pronounced distraction than the general desire for a reunion, is someone who I don't think is being realistic.

If it's already decided that everyone will proceed with their separate projects, then, really, what's the point in getting everyone's hopes up for a full-fledged reunion?  That will inevitably happen, that people will become even more hopeful for a full-fledged reunion.  If the original lineup were to sound good on stage together, fans would say, "yeah, I know you guys have separate projects you're working on, but look at how good you sounded together.  Why not give us what we've wanted for so many years if you guys can still play and play well together?"

Ali

Heighten the cries. What does that even mean?
Like people posting on a fan forum? Fans texting and sending telegrams to Axl asking him to reunite?
I really don't know what you mean by distraction. A distraction to whom? The band?
Do you honestly think DJ doesn't know that 99.9% of the fan base would prefer it was Slash on stage?
Has that distracted him? He seems to be playing pretty well from what I can tell.

If that were ever truly a concern, than I don't think anyone would have joined the band post Slash, Duff, because they had to know they were fighting an impossible battle going in.
It has nothing to do with them as individuals. It's human nature.

Do you think anyone in the audience of a Roger Waters the Wall concert would be there if they had the option of going to see Pink Floyd perform it instead? It's just common sense.

The interest in a reunion is always going to be there. It doesn't mean fans are going to start picketing outside the venues the current lineup plays.
Fans that are into the current lineup will go. Fans that would prefer to see the classic era, but think Axl being there is enough to fork over the $ will go.
People who don't think it's worth their money if Slash and Izzy aren't there will stay home. Nothing changes.

The only difference is maybe Guns N' Roses lights up the twitter feed for a day.

Heightening cries to me could only be described as some fans of the classic lineup becoming interested again for a few minutes and posting on a forum that people have the option to read, or not read.
It's not going to change a fans mind about the current lineup. Interest in the classic lineup will never die. Axl put it as bluntly as possible, and it didn't die.
I'm sure they have all accepted that by now. It would be false hope to think it will ever stop.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #1111 on: March 20, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »

Thanks IZZY & Steven !@

hihi

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1112 on: March 20, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »

The media, the promoters (the ones who actually front the money for tours, etc), the music industry moguls and record company executives....THOSE guys.  The people who actually have some say over whether you succeed or fail in the music industry.

Because if they see the slightest hint at the possibility of a reunion, and the gobs of cash it would bring.....that's a game changer.  And it may not be one that certain members of the classic line up want to deal with.

The outcry from the fans is potentially annoying.  Fixation by the "money men" (and women) and the opinion makers in the industry is something else, entirely.

Witness what occurred with Azoff and GnR. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:36:47 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1113 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »

How WE feel about it isn't really all that relevant.

How you suppose AXL might feel about it is.  Sure, it's a guessing game....but at the end of the day, if they're going to bill the band on stage as Guns N Roses, his opinion is the one that matters.  Also....you have to get Axl's buy in on reuniting the "classic line up"...because he's a member of that line up.

If you can't see a scenario where Axl might object, might feel it's a slap in the face to the current lineup to go out there and perform as "Guns n Roses" with the CLASSIC line up instead of them, and if you can't see that dealing with the fallout of that appearance might be a pain in the ass...you're just not paying attention.

What we feel about it means nothing. We agree on that.

Of course I can see a scenario where Axl might object. It's the scenario I most expect.
I'm not trying to get into the head of Axl Rose. I would only expect the less than likely scenario of them performing to happen if Axl truly had a desire to do it.
I'm not inside his head. I don't want to be anywhere near the inside of his head.

If I'm not mistaken, DJ said in an interview that he himself hopes the classic lineup will perform.
He's only one member, but doesn't sound like there would be a fallout there.

I really don't see what it changes.
People want a reunion today. They will want one tomorrow. They will want one the day after the event whether there is a performance or not.
Every  member that ever agreed to join Guns N' Roses since 1998 knew that there was a member more welcome than themselves among the Guns N' Roses fan base.
They all seem pretty gracious of the opportunity they have been given, and I don't see them leaving the band over a performance at an award ceremony.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Who knows. It's all speculation at this point.
Kills a couple hours.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1114 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »

The media, the promoters (the ones who actually front the money for tours, etc), the music industry moguls and record company executives....THOSE guys.  The people who actually have some say over whether you succeed or fail in the music industry.

Because if they see the slightest hint at the possibility of a reunion, and the gobs of cash it would bring.....that's a game changer.  And it may not be one that certain members of the classic line up want to deal with.

The outcry from the fans is potentially annoying.  Fixation by the "money men" (and women) in the industry is something else, entirely.

That's an uphill battle they will be fighting until the end.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1115 on: March 20, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »

What we feel about it means nothing. We agree on that.

Not just "we"....pretty much how the fans, as a group, feel.  To be clear. 

Of course I can see a scenario where Axl might object. It's the scenario I most expect.
I'm not trying to get into the head of Axl Rose. I would only expect the less than likely scenario of them performing to happen if Axl truly had a desire to do it.
I'm not inside his head. I don't want to be anywhere near the inside of his head.

Which is fine...but realize that the whole "will they/won't they" pretty much depends on him. There are those that have disagreed...but we KNOW the "VR" members will be more than happy to take the stage together. They already have.  But they can't reunite under the GnR banner without Axl.  And getting together the "classic" line up..without Axl...is basically Velvet Revolver.   Axl's the lynch pin, so you sort of have to try to understand his POV.

If I'm not mistaken, DJ said in an interview that he himself hopes the classic lineup will perform.
He's only one member, but doesn't sound like there would be a fallout there.

How the new lineup ACTUALLY feels is less relevant than how Axl thinks they MIGHT feel, or how Axl thinks it will be perceived.  In other words....even if DJ really doesn't care...if Axl thinks it MIGHT hurt his feelings, and DJ is just being gracious....Axl's going to act off of that.

But the internal fall out is less of a pain that the external fallout.

I really don't see what it changes.
People want a reunion today. They will want one tomorrow. They will want one the day after the event whether there is a performance or not.
Every  member that ever agreed to join Guns N' Roses since 1998 knew that there was a member more welcome than themselves among the Guns N' Roses fan base.
They all seem pretty gracious of the opportunity they have been given, and I don't see them leaving the band over a performance at an award ceremony.

Because now every question out of every reporters mouth, and every paragraph written about the band's performance will reflect back the HOF reunion, and opine for a return to that (even more than we already see it). 

Because every promoter is going to cajole, prompt, and prod Axl, in every negotiation about a tour with the current lineup, about the possibility of a reunion.

Because every A&R exec is going to hem and haw, and wax poetic about how wonderful an album by the classic lineup would be.

Because EVERY high level record exec is going to weigh the gobs of cash they know would be made by selling a "Classic Line up" album over what they'll make on future releases by the current line up...and decide to invest their resources accordingly.

This kind of thing has ramifications.  Ask the members of Van Halen re: DLR (who they have since kissed and made up with).  Dealing with this kind of shit is not fun.  And the more you give an indication that any sort of reunion could happen (even if it's not direct indications), the more of a shit storm you have to deal with.  And the fan outcry is only one small part.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Who knows. It's all speculation at this point.
Kills a couple hours.

Wrong? I wouldn't say wrong.

Not thinking it all the way through.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1116 on: March 20, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »

That's an uphill battle they will be fighting until the end.

But appearing with the original lineup makes the slope significantly steeper and more slippery.

Which is why you don't give them any more ammunition than they already have.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:52:32 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #1117 on: March 20, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »

Hmmmm....seeing this debate is interesting. Why are we so against a one time reunion? Obviously because we love the current line-up, and we don't want to see their reputation damaged, not after the really good period of shows we have seen lately. I'm in the same belief of pilferk, it will be a hell of a time afterwards, the machinery nagging and asking for a full reunion, whether it's for money, unenlightened or opinion. Some way, Axl get blamed and accused.

Then again, I guess it's reason to believe it's on Axl's shoulder if the old-timers share stage. Possibly except Izzy. But it would be looked upon as a "classic" line-up by some without him. So, Axl will within reason be blamed for this scenario too.

On the other side, if this really would go down, Slash, Duff, Steven, Izzy and Axl sharing stage for a few songs, would I get touched? Hell yeah! It would be cool to see, if it's happening like Duff was hoping. Just sharing stage for the good times they bee through and jam together like brothers. Then we should just say "Fuck the media", applause, and be glad Beta's in charge of the management now, so that Guns could continue forward with the good work without greedy managers using their snaketongue trying to kiss Axl's ass into a Billion$-reunion tour.....

Just my thoughts right now......

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1118 on: March 20, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »

SPIN Magazine has some suggestions on who should induct Guns N' Roses. Cheesy

Chuck D, Chris Rock, John Mellencamp Will Induct Rock Hall's Class of 2012

March 20 2012

Brave soul tasked with welcoming Guns N' Roses has yet to be named

Whoever has the job of introducing Guns N' Roses, however, has not yet been announced. That likely poses a bigger problem for the Rock Hall. It's already been revealed that the original GN'R won't reunite onstage to perform at the ceremony. In years past, when an inductee has opted to not perform at the Rock Hall ceremony, the person presenting the band has usually had to do double duty and play a couple of tunes by the Hall-bound artist as well. So what's needed is someone who can both say a few nice words about GN'R and perform some Illusion cuts, and that's apparently a tough find with just weeks to go before the ceremony.

We'd vote for Dave Grohl, based entirely on Nirvana and GN'R's infamous skirmish at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards, when the two bands nearly came to blows. Foo Fighters could deftly handle "Paradise City," if need be. Courtney Love, who Axl called a "bitch" that night, would also be a fun choice. Worse case scenario, the Rock Hall will call upon Fergie, a Slash acolyte who has sang "Sweet Child O Mine" many times in the past. Or, the Rock Hall can bring in the big guns and recruit one of Rose's idols, Elton John, who joined the band for "November Rain" at the '92 VMAs. Bottom line: Deciding who should induct Guns N' Roses is just as problematic as getting all the members of the original Appetite-era band under one roof.

http://www.spin.com/articles/chuck-d-chris-rock-john-mellencamp-will-induct-rock-halls-class-2012

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
vicariousexistence
Headliner

« Reply #1119 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »

the ghost of sam kinison to induct them.

My posts all have hidden messages.  It's your job to find it.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: