Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 07:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228518 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 494477 times)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #1080 on: March 19, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »

Ex.Gunners Play In HOF ?? I Don't Know.

GN'R Play In HOF ?? NOT

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #1081 on: March 19, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »

Axl might have been a little too hopeful that people would readily accept the new guys as "Guns n' Roses", and i might be wrong here but it seems like outside of the US people have been more accepting of the new lineup, but people here seem way more hung up on Slash. Hey, it's great when a band stays together with the original members, but that isn't the case here. Continuing to use the name was obviously a big gamble and has not made it easy. Axl has got to know that if he did any kind of reunion that involves Slash he could sell out bigger venues in the US, but obviously he is proud enough of what he's doing now to not sell out and go for the cash grab. I respect him a lot for that. I always felt like Axl might feel in his mind like "hey, the band was called GnR before the "'Appetite' lineup..." so to him, being a founding member, he sees it differently as far as who the "real" or original lineup is. But yeah, i think GnR needs to put out a killer album and actually promote it. The live shows have won a lot of people over, but that's only the people willing to pay for a ticket first. I agree that a  kickass CD could still win people over to the new lineup. As far as the HOF, it should be interesting. Obviously, they are getting in mostly for the music (and band members) the casual fan is familiar with. I don't think the new band playing would go over too good, might be too weird for people no matter how good they sound, and I really don't see Axl performing with Slash. I just hope Velvet Revolver doesn't re-form for the night to butcher a few classics. Just the original guys onstage together accepting and being civil to one another would be cool for me, but even that would fuel reunion rumors. Maybe one huge-ass jam session involving everyone who ever played with the band, from the Tracii Guns lineup on...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:10:41 PM by inlikeflynn420 » Logged

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1082 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »

I do think there is a fine line between being a "Guns N Roses" fan and being an "Axl Rose" fan

I think most people are Axl fans which in turn make them Guns N Roses fans.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.. but let's call it what it is.

Anyone who wouldn't wanna see them play and celebrate what they accomplished boggles my mind.

People hear Axl reads these forums.. and i think they post accordingly.

never met the guy, don't wanna meet the guy... I want what I want and don't think a few songs celebrating the amazing all time great material they did together is asking too much.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1083 on: March 19, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »

I do think there is a fine line between being a "Guns N Roses" fan and being an "Axl Rose" fan

I think most people are Axl fans which in turn make them Guns N Roses fans.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.. but let's call it what it is.

Anyone who wouldn't wanna see them play and celebrate what they accomplished boggles my mind.

People hear Axl reads these forums.. and i think they post accordingly.

never met the guy, don't wanna meet the guy... I want what I want and don't think a few songs celebrating the amazing all time great material they did together is asking too much.

Sorry, but your perspective on why someone wouldn't want the old band to reunite, even if for a couple of songs at the HOF induction ceremony, is asinine to say the least.  It couldn't be because they actually are happy with the current lineup and want to see it move forward, or that they've made peace with the old lineup's demise and have no desire to revisit the past.  No, it can't be any of those things  Roll Eyes

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1084 on: March 19, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »

This is an accomplishment celebrating the past. has nothing to do with the current band playing a few songs.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #1085 on: March 19, 2012, 10:47:46 PM »

This is an accomplishment celebrating the past. has nothing to do with the current band playing a few songs.
Unfortunately because there are so many people like you who are in such denial about the SUCCESSFUL EVOLUTION of Guns N' Roses, it's impossible to celebrate the past properly in a setting like the HOF.

IMO, nothing celebrates the accomplishment of the past better than the way Dizzy, Chris, Tommy, Frank, Ron, Dj, Richard and Axl bring NEW life to the "old songs" each and every time they perform them now.

And the class that not only Richard, Tommy and Dj but the entire band showed when Izzy, Duff and Robin made their respective guest appearances is more proof of the successful evolution and celebration of the accomplishments of Guns N' Roses!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1086 on: March 19, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »

but they didn't write them or hustle,live on the streets together fighting,scratching,clawing and slaving away to become one of the greatest bands in rock n roll history.
THAT band is being inducted. THAT band should pay homage to the history, the legend and the immortality of that music.

the disrespect some of u all have for the band that created all these amazing songs you listen to and love is deplorable.

playing a couple songs with original lineup hurts or changes nothing going on today.

Don't get how I'm in "Denial" or whatever... saw this lineup of the band.. loved it.. wanna see more of it... but doesn't change fact I wanna see old band honor themusic,fans and each other.. drop the grudge for one night and do it for the fans who want to see it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:56:01 PM by D » Logged

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1087 on: March 20, 2012, 12:06:50 AM »

heres an analogy for you,

its kind of like Derrick Rose getting credit for Michael Jordan's 6 NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls.  Is Derrick Rose a great current player for the Chicago Bulls? Yes.  Is he carrying on a great legacy for a great franchise?  Yes.   Does he have anything to do with those 6 titles? No.

This whole old vs new thing is so fucking dumb.  It is obviously an honor for what GNR accomplished in the past, thats what the Hall of Fame is.  You take AFD and UYI out of the equation they are not getting in the Hall of Fame.

Just because it is an honor for the past does not mean it is a slight against the current line up.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1088 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:03 AM »

its kind of like Derrick Rose getting credit for Michael Jordan's 6 NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls.  Is Derrick Rose a great current player for the Chicago Bulls? Yes.  Is he carrying on a great legacy for a great franchise?  Yes.   Does he have anything to do with those 6 titles? No.

This whole old vs new thing is so fucking dumb.  It is obviously an honor for what GNR accomplished in the past, thats what the Hall of Fame is.  You take AFD and UYI out of the equation they are not getting in the Hall of Fame.

Just because it is an honor for the past does not mean it is a slight against the current line up.

well said

dude.. people on here think Axl read this and they are doing the fanboy stuff to not "piss" him off in case there is ever a mega backstage party for the fans or something.

I'd think he would appreciate my years of honesty over obvious Yes man stuff.

Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1089 on: March 20, 2012, 12:27:53 AM »

Amazing how this turned into the same old , same old....

CD will be out when it's out. ....
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1090 on: March 20, 2012, 01:41:07 AM »

Amazing how this turned into the same old , same old....

is it really that amazing?  Some people can just never be happy and will take every opportunity possible to turn it into the same old same old.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1091 on: March 20, 2012, 02:03:19 AM »

No shit, Sherlock. Who said anything about the new band playing anything? It's about having already made peace with the death of the old band, having gotten that "closure", by the time Live Era came out. Your assumptions as to why some may not have any interest in seeing the old band play a couple of songs are asinine and arrogant, to say the least.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1092 on: March 20, 2012, 02:12:03 AM »

well said

dude.. people on here think Axl read this and they are doing the fanboy stuff to not "piss" him off in case there is ever a mega backstage party for the fans or something.

I'd think he would appreciate my years of honesty over obvious Yes man stuff.
This is exactly the kind of arrogant stance I was referring to.

It may be hard to fathom, but some have actually moved on as fans from the old days. It's a sincere position and not laced with ulterior motives like you seem to believe.

Ali
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1093 on: March 20, 2012, 08:19:18 AM »

Chuck D, Chris Rock, Steven Van Zandt Among Presenters for 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony

3/19/2012

The Public Enemy rapper will induct the Beastie Boys, comedian Rock will recognize the Red Hot Chili Peppers while Springsteen's guitar slinger will present The Faces at the April 14 fete -- but who will induct Guns N' Roses?

Pub rock, funk rock, ?50s rock, soul, rap, blues, pop -- the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?s Class of 2012 certainly boasts no shortage of variety. Now it has its inductors. Well, most of them.

Ten performers will present the 16 newest members of the Rock Hall during the April 14 induction ceremony in Cleveland. Conspicuously absent from the list, however, is an inductor for metal gods Guns N? Roses.

That noted, here are this year?s presenters:

?      Chuck D, Public Enemy?s No. 1, will induct fellow New York rap act Beastie Boys. The groups? debut albums were released within two months of each other.
?      Pot-stirring comic Chris Rock will induct L.A. funk punks-turned-mainstream rockers Red Hot Chili Peppers.
?      Steven Van Zandt-- whose r?sum? runs from the E Street Band to Sun City boycott organizer to The Sopranos and satellite radio programmer -- will induct ?60s and ?70s rock act Small Faces/The Faces.
?      Heartland torchbearer John Mellencamp will induct Swinging ?60s pop-rock-folk singer-songwriter Donovan.
?      Singer-actress-comic Bette Midler will induct the late singer-songwriter Laura Nyro.
?      ZZ Top mainstays Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill will induct blues guitar legend Freddie King, who died in 1976 at 42, as an early Influencer.
?      Singer-songwriter-pianist Carole King will induct publisher-producer Don Kirshner, for whom she was a contract songwriter at his New York-based Aldon Music during the 1960s. Kirshner, who died last year, is being honored with Ahmet Ertegun Award, which goes to a nonperformer.
?      Robbie Robertson, singer-songwriter-guitarist and founding member of The Band, will induct a trio of producers: Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns. They are received the Award for Musical Excellence.
?      Rock Hall of Famer Smokey Robinson will induct his backing band, The Miracles, along with a quintet of other groups whose frontmen already have been inducted into the Hall: The Famous Flames(James Brown), The Crickets (Buddy Holly), The Comets (Bill Haley), The Midnighters (Hank Ballard) and The Blue Caps(Gene Vincent).

HBO will air the induction ceremony from 9-11:30 p.m. May 5.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rock-roll-hall-fame-presenters-chuck-d-chris-rock-301785

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1094 on: March 20, 2012, 08:42:48 AM »

typical Guns style...nobody knows anything, about all are left in the dark  hihi

Re-Union time, baby!!
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #1095 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »

You know I keep seeing posts about how this award is honouring the past and an arbitrary line seems to have been drawn under band members up to and including 1991. However. nowhere on the HOF website can I find any statement claiming this as fact. The only named recipient of the award appears to be Guns N' Roses (named as the artist), which obviously leaves the question of which individuals this refers to wide open to interpretation as far as I can make out.

Regarding the process of eligibility and induction - all I can find is this:

To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence.

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction.

The record referred to in the first paragraph is obviously AFD and this is the decisive factor that has entitled GN'R (the artist) to be eligible for induction. However, the second paragraph appears to refer to the criteria applied to the nominees when considering their induction and says that they include factors such as "length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique...". This is far more ambiguous and open to interpretation, and I believe can encompass the whole life of the band (i.e. the artist known as GN'R) from its inception up until the present day. So in the spirit of inclusivity, I think there's no reason why every musician who has been recognised publicly as being part of GN'R (either through recording or touring) over the years shouldn't be entitled to get up on the stage to receive the award.

If there is a specific source that mentions named individuals that the HOF considers eligible for induction as part of the artist known as GN'R, then please could you post the link because I'd be interested to read it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:05:41 AM by cyllan » Logged

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
vicariousexistence
Headliner

« Reply #1096 on: March 20, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »

You know I keep seeing posts about how this award is honouring the past and an arbitrary line seems to have been drawn under band members up to and including 1991. However. nowhere on the HOF website can I find any statement claiming this as fact. The only named recipient of the award appears to be Guns N' Roses (named as the artist), which obviously leaves the question of which individuals this refers to wide open to interpretation as far as I can make out.

Regarding the process of eligibility and induction - all I can find is this:

To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence.

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction.

The record referred to in the first paragraph is obviously AFD and this is the decisive factor that has entitled GN'R (the artist) to be eligible for induction. However, the second paragraph appears to refer to the criteria applied to the nominees when considering their induction and says that they include factors such as "length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique...". This is far more ambiguous and open to interpretation, and I believe can encompass the whole life of the band (i.e. the artist known as GN'R) from its inception up until the present day. So in the spirit of inclusivity, I think there's no reason why every musician who has been recognised publically as being part of GN'R (either through recording or touring) over the years shouldn't be entitled to get up on the stage to receive the award.

If there is a specific source that mentions named individuals that the HOF considers eligible for induction as part of the artist known as GN'R, then please could you post the link because I'd be interested to read it.

you can google this quote, it's been everywhere:

As previously reported, in December last year Hall Of Fame CEO Joel Peresman said: ?Who will be invited, obviously, is the original five, and Dizzy and Matt. All have RSVP?d that they will show. Everyone?s said they?re coming?.

My posts all have hidden messages.  It's your job to find it.
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1097 on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

I still think the classic lineup will accept the induction and then the real GNR (the current lineup) will perform with the alumni. Something like this:

Jungle with Adler
Sweet Child with Izzy
Paradise with Duff

Then the grand finale with Chinese Democracy.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1098 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »

I just can't comprehend how some think a performance by the classic lineup could somehow jeopardize what the current lineup is doing.
Guns N' Roses, in any form is what it is at this point. They were once one of the biggest bands on the planet, both in the studio and on the road.
Then they fell off the face of the planet for years, and reemerged as a great live act. Some people post as if a HOF appearance is going to keep the current lineup from taking over the world.
They aren't a new band trying to get a record deal anymore.
They have a strong following, and will continue to sell tickets as long as Axl is involved and the marquee reads Guns N' Roses. Regardless of the lineup, GN'R isn't getting any bigger than they are now.
Their time as biggest band in the world is over, and it's not coming back. Their growth is not going to be stunted by having the classic lineup take the stage to perform 1 night.

It seems a popular opinion on these boards that all of the alumni is begging to be back in the band that they willingly left in the first place.
I'm not sure where that comes from, but all signs point to the opposite being true. Other than Adler, I think it's safe to say they are happy doing their own thing.
Axl seems and has stated he is happy performing with the current lineup.
Whether you like his music outside of GN'R or not, Slash clearly likes to keep busy. Since he left, GN'R hasn't exactly been the model for productivity, so doesn't seem like a great fit.
Izzy seems more than content/productive with his solo career. GN'R has been a touring machine as of late, Izzy hates to tour. Not exactly a match made in heaven.
Duff has loaded, etc etc.

If Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt and Dizzy decide as old friends and band members to celebrate their accomplishment one last time, without jumping into a big commitment, it seems the ideal time for it. Let's be honest, they aren't going to perform unless they want to. It's not a cash grab reunion tour. It's a one night award show. If they decided to do it, how could you find fault with it?

Then they almost have no choice but to go their separate ways again, as tours are already booked. That's the ideal scenario as far as I'm concerned.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #1099 on: March 20, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »

you can google this quote, it's been everywhere:

As previously reported, in December last year Hall Of Fame CEO Joel Peresman said: ?Who will be invited, obviously, is the original five, and Dizzy and Matt. All have RSVP?d that they will show. Everyone?s said they?re coming?.

So it just appears to be a random decision by the CEO who should be inducted then; whoever his personal favourites are. A case in point seems to be the RHCP induction where the newest guitarist Josh Klinghoffer is being inducted but Dave Navarro and Jack Sherman aren't included. Seems to render the whole thing pretty pointless really and the more I read about it, the less worthwhile the whole thing appears to be.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: