Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 12:09:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228517 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 494248 times)
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #940 on: March 10, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »

You're not the first or the last to try this debate technique here, but it doesn't make it right. What you do is take a statement, give it a slight misrepresentation which makes the argument seem absurd, before you shoot it down.

I didn't misrepresent anything; I quoted the comment in full. It was an absurd argument on two counts. Firstly, the fact that W and G played together doesn't cancel out any reasons that Axl may have for not wanting to perform with Slash. Secondly, using the analogy given, it would mean having a band performing together for all the wrong reasons and lacking any real chemistry.

If GnR were to decide to play, I'm pretty sure it would be influenced partly by the idea that it would please the fans, but partly also on the idea that they were pleased they could actually manage to do this very thing for the fans. And that's no bad reason to play.

Now you also ask what good it would do GnR to go on stage and reunite. You suggests it would do nothing good. I think it's painfully obvious it would do a lot of good. I remember that getting Slash and Axl back on stage together was the very dream of every GnR fan when these boards were first loaded on the internet in 1998 or 2000 or whenever it was. A lot of us would enjoy seeing them back together and in itself this would be good. Also it would lift a large burden off certain people's shoulders.

I'll ignore the painful generalisation regarding fans' dreams. I asked what benefit it would have for Axl or GN'R not what good it would do you, and please don't tell me they're one and the same thing.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #941 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »

I don't know if I'd call playing a few songs celebrating what you accomplished together a "reunion" per se

I think it would be an excellent way to properly say goodbye to that era of the band, bury hatchets and everyone move on with their lives/careers.

Axl has a great thing going right now as does all the other guys, I just don't think its gonna undo any momentum Axl has built with the new band. Quiet the opposite, i think it would do good. Axl has all these negative/untrue perceptions that have become legend, and I think he could dispel a lot of those in doing this.

Sometimes you have to realize something is bigger than a feud or whatever u wanna call it. I think you have to look past a grudge and realize, without each other, u probably aren't where u are right now. They lived it,breathed it, wrote it.. now celebrate it one last time and then move on forever from it.

I do think it could get rid of a lot of reunion talk, cause if they didn't do a reunion after THIS... then guess what, its never gonna happen. That talk will always be loud as long as they are alive.

This is an award celebrating the past, so dipping back into the past works here. It isn't like some cash grab reunion tour between guys who hate each other and are doing it for the money. It would be 100 percent for the fans of those 4 studio albums.
 Loved the new band in Nashville, want to see them make an album, but I WANT to see this at RRHOF.

not gonna act like I don't just because I love this version of the band.

makes sense to me.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:37:15 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #942 on: March 11, 2012, 06:18:23 AM »

My opinion about this is that I don't see how a "reunion" could happen. Except a few fans, the vast majority of people wouldn't understand why Axl plays with Slash and co. at a ceremony and with other people during GN'R's tour.

I actually don't even want to see a "reunion". What would it change? I think they all moved on years ago. I mean Slash left 16 years ago, Duff 15 years ago, etc. 2 or 3 years later, why not, but not after all this time and what Axl has built with Tommy and co. It's cool when Duff or Izzy comes on stage for a few songs, but I'm not really looking forward a reunion.

As for the ceremony, I don't think we will see Axl or Izzy. Slash I'm not sure...he goes to the Superbowl or any major event so I don't see why he would miss this...Izzy doesn't like the spotlight or cameras and Axl is on tour with the current line-up...

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #943 on: March 11, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »

What would it change?

Nothing. That's why there would be no problem playin' togheter in terms of future things that are going to happen after the show.

Surely it will change the perception of 2 of the biggest rock icon ever walked on this earth, whose feud is one of the saddest and most incomprehensible (for most of fans) ever started. Things sometimes just happen... now they are all clean, sober, middle aged men... I think time is right the get rid of their being a primadonna, put a real full stop at the end of the 1986-1993 era gnr book and keep their lives moving wherever they want (that's actually what they are doing) with no more shadows left.

I think if they want and feel to do this publicy, this is the best chance for them. If they don't want, hope someday they could have a cup of tea togheter.Probably watchin' them shackin' hands would be enough for me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:59:32 AM by ITARocker » Logged
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #944 on: March 11, 2012, 07:24:59 AM »

Honestly jarmo because it's like a 20 year long reality tv show that we're wholly invested in. So many arguments, misunderstandings and so much drama from 5-7 characters we feel like we know and defintely love and idolize. And we all want the happy ending. Its the anticipation. That's why we want it so bad. And I think  a part of you who first fell in love with guns in the 80s wants it a little bit too.chinese democracy was a great album and new guns are tight. But this is about something else, the epic reunion of 5 guys who changed rock

Isn't it a bit like thinking that if you get the players from 20 years ago, the team will be as good as they were and they'll win the championship again?

To me it's one of those "if it happens one day, it happens" and I hope it happens for the right reason(s).

I'm not convinced "fans wanting it" is the best reason....

I think when artists start trying to figure out what their fans want, some of the integrity is lost... You kinda become like a car salesman.

/jarmo

look that's very true and I guess if its forced by fans then that would cheapen it. so all we can do is hope, and not expect anything.

although championship analogy: difference is that 20 years later all the players are in just as good if not better form. Except steven adler  Tongue. But yeah i take your point...  they'd probably be so untight (like the Police were in 2003)

also 'give an inch take a mile thing': axl did mention this in the LA times interview ("the price is too high") and that is definitely a huge thing to consider. But by the same token, a one-off performance would give the guns n roses brand so much press its ridiculous. and I think it would actually help new guns - in the same way ticket sales for Roger Waters boosted after Gilmour did that one-off - as there was so much press about it around the whole world. same with Sting post Police reunion.

But still, its risky and it'd make sense for axl to not perform (or even show up). it is essentially risking the brand he has worked on for the last 10 years to build. So my prediction, unless Slash makes some serious olive branch extensions, I'm going to agree with Will here:

As for the ceremony, I don't think we will see Axl or Izzy.
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #945 on: March 11, 2012, 08:06:41 AM »

Duff doesn't seem to think the historic line-up will get together & perform.

Do you hope the band is going to reunite and play?

I think it would be killer. Do I hope to? That's a tricky question. It would be awesome. You have those day dreams like, "We'll go up and play 'Nightrain' and 'Brownstone' and throw down the microphone and drop off! That'll be killer!' But I doubt that'll happen.

Why?

There's been no communication about anyone playing. There was probably a day in the mid-1990s where I would have tried to gather the troops, but I'm just not that guy anymore. It's too frustrating to change anyone else?I'm not even sure I'd want to change how anyone else sees a situation. But I'm going.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/guns-n-roses-bassist-duff-mckagan-on-the-hall-of-fame-ill-be-there-with-bells-on-20120309#ixzz1ooFsSEce
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:11:40 AM by Chuzeville » Logged
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #946 on: March 11, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »

I'm not against anything.

I want them to do what they want.

If Axl doesn't wanna play with the old band, not a problem. If he does, cool. I support him in whatever he does. 

I'm just curious why some people need a reunion so bad....

/jarmo

Honestly jarmo because it's like a 20 year long reality tv show that we're wholly invested in. So many arguments, misunderstandings and so much drama from 5-7 characters we feel like we know and defintely love and idolize. And we all want the happy ending. Its the anticipation. That's why we want it so bad. And I think  a part of you who first fell in love with guns in the 80s wants it a little bit too.chinese democracy was a great album and new guns are tight. But this is about something else, the epic reunion of 5 guys who changed rock

No, it is your happy ending. Honestly why you would be so keen to see some guys get up on stage together and play when a few of them have publicly stated their dislike or distrust of one another. Just accept and move on. They don't owe us anything and some of us don't want to see that line up in these circumstances on the stage together playing. Everyone is doing their own thing and that is great to this fan. It would be a tsunami of crap for Axl and he gets enough of that, I hope he stays away - some minds cannot be altered no matter what you say or do. Fu** the haters.

GREG

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
Birk
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #947 on: March 11, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »

So whos going? Just reserved my car rental, and have my hotel booked for saturday night...CANT WAIT FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #948 on: March 11, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »

So whos going? Just reserved my car rental, and have my hotel booked for saturday night...CANT WAIT FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going. Coming from the UK with a friend. Hitting Cleveland first then going to Atlanta to see Van Halen then spending the following weekend in Memphis. Very excited. Got tickets for Duff at House of Blues on the Friday as well.
40oz
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #949 on: March 11, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »

Driving up from Charlotte.  Can't wait. 

Looks like we can rule out a performance by the current lineup since Tommy is playing Harrisburg, PA on the same night.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #950 on: March 11, 2012, 02:50:10 PM »

Duff doesn't seem to think the historic line-up will get together & perform.

Do you hope the band is going to reunite and play?

I think it would be killer. Do I hope to? That's a tricky question. It would be awesome. You have those day dreams like, "We'll go up and play 'Nightrain' and 'Brownstone' and throw down the microphone and drop off! That'll be killer!' But I doubt that'll happen.

Why?

There's been no communication about anyone playing. There was probably a day in the mid-1990s where I would have tried to gather the troops, but I'm just not that guy anymore. It's too frustrating to change anyone else?I'm not even sure I'd want to change how anyone else sees a situation. But I'm going.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/guns-n-roses-bassist-duff-mckagan-on-the-hall-of-fame-ill-be-there-with-bells-on-20120309#ixzz1ooFsSEce

If anyone could get the ball rolling it would be Duff, so this should pretty much put to rest any "plans" for a performance.  But listen, I don't envy Axl in this situation, as has been discussed, even if Axl said this is a one-time only thing, the media woulld likely ignore this and ramp up speculation about a full on reunion.  This would be a complete disservice to the current line-up. If Axl shows up and stands on stage with the original band, well thats enough for me as a fan at this point.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #951 on: March 11, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »

Why do you think a performance would help Axl's image in any way?

People would be wondering why the old band can't to a tour and/or album together if they did... And who'll get the blame?

/jarmo

to show the world that he can be NOT full of bitterness and hatred towards an old friend for 1 night, a person with whom he is considered to be one of the few frontman/guitar-duos of all time and with whom he wrote all the hits! it could easily be seen as a touch of strong personality issue to celebrate that 1 night together.

regarding a performance, or no performance or any re-union talking before/after, surely Axl will be the one being blamed most, no matter what he does. in the end he constantly has been the only one NOT willing to do it.

Re-Union time, baby!!
richwoman
VIP

« Reply #952 on: March 11, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »

I`m pretty sure there must have been bands in the past that  have chosen not to perform, i really don`t see why everyones getting so worked up about it, at the end of the day its an award show if they perform it will seem like a step backwards if they dont perform the world wont end!! all i hope for is that Axl smiles sweetly makes a nice speach and then gets ready to come to europe ok
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #953 on: March 11, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »

If Axl did perform with the old band, and then continued touring successfully with Guns N' Roses all over Europe. How many bitter old fans would be saying "this is rediculous, if Axl wasn't going to have a reunion after the RHOF performance, why bother doing a performance with original GN'R at all?". This is ALL you would have people posting on forums, and all over media outlets.....and everyone knows it's true.  yes

You will get reunion fanatics stating how "Axl is teasing us once again, he should never have agreed to do the Hall Of Fame with Slash there, if he was just going to go back to touring the world with the new version of the band".

And it all comes down to what jarmo has been saying all over this thread, which is TRUE.....And that is that Axl simply cannot win with some fans.  Roll Eyes
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #954 on: March 11, 2012, 04:02:08 PM »

Long time no post.

Just like everyone else here, I'm really looking forward how this whole thing pans out.

There are some many possible scenarios; Axl shows up, Axl doesn't show up, GNR's current line up plays, Old line-up plays, no line up performs....that's what really makes it so exciting. Only time will tell.

However, which are the "best-case" and "worst-case" scenarios?

Having thought about this a little, I do not see a "best-case scenario" simply because there isn't one.

Whatever ends up happening that night, it won't be good enough for everyone's standards.

For those people wanting the original band to perform...what will the consequences be if that actually happens? first of all, who would play drums? Steven? Matt? Both?

Probably, the majority of casual fans would be really happy to see Axl and Slash performing together, but when the ceremony is over and Axl and Slash go their separate ways...would those happy people be happy a week later when they see Axl going back to tour/studio with GNR and Slash with Myles? Probably not. Those people will have something to bitch about for ages and even IF the performance (old line-up) SUCKS, I'm sure those people would probably say the chemistry between Axl and Slash was still there....but would probably blame everything on Axl (again) and a bunch of nonsense crap will be posted (again) about Axl being responsible for the band's breakup, etc.

This scenario, for Axl and current GNR, is obviously no good.

Another possible scenario is receiving the award together. I find THIS to be the smartest, logical and most likely, what will eventually happen. The band's been induced to the HOF and every member who contributed should be there receiving the award. A little speech by Axl (the only original member left) followed by Slash's, should be the way to go. I'm pretty sure both would probably say something along the lines of "this is for our fans, you helped us and supported us all these years...this is for you". Something short and sweet. To the point. Anything else that could lead to possible misinterpretations (hug between Axl and Slash, talks about reunion or past 15 years...) will not take place.

Worst-case scenario will definitely occur if Axl doesn't show up. I do not see this happening though. Axl is not a fool and realizes this is a major achievement for the band. His absence could tarnish GNR's image and legacy. After all, he's the only original member left. The fans want him to be there, so If this is really for the fans as he already mentioned a few months back, he definitely needs to be there.

In my opinion, the original line up will not perform. They will all (5 + Dizzy and Matt) get up there to receive the award. I do not think there will be any signs of reconciliation or anything. Just 7 guys thanking the HOF and the fans for one of the greatest and most dramatic music careers of our time. No more no less.

Only time will tell though...I, for one, can't wait to see what actually happens.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #955 on: March 11, 2012, 04:05:47 PM »

you've asked for the possible benefits of accepting/performing together 1x that night?
- back to the paradox: crowd and fans' pleaser! the Slash/Axl-duo is a big part of the Rock N Roll history, seeing them together 1 more time -maybe even performing- would just be huge! expecting it? no! do the owe it to us? no! would it be cool as hell? many people would agree!

If you reread what I wrote, you'd note that I specifically referred to a performance. As to how cool it would be, I'd say that nothing I've seen or heard recently has convinced me that Axl has any personal desire to work with Slash. So they'd just be going through the motions for whatever reason and I've yet to witness a cool performance from any artist under those conditions.

all speculation, you never know! as analogy the vma02 they've wanted to do and rehearsed for didnt turn out that well.

- helping old friends to bury the hatchet some more. it can help Slash/Axl to grow in their personalities and get away from all the bitterness and hatred

Do me a favour, you'll be suggesting they talk it out on some reality show next.

wont do you this favour  Wink, but re-read your own words "possible benefits". the chance is there that they can get more away from the bad stuff, all about proper and fair communication, they are grown men, often people just need to meet again to be able to sort out their differences a little. and if that helps Axl to get more happy not being that bittered person he often appears to be....i'd welcome it!

- the output on the look could change peoples' opinions about "evil Axl" like.... "Axl cared so much about their fans that he was cool with goin on stage with Slash 1 more time, they even hugged!"

No sorry, can't see the media buying into that for one minute. I think the more likely scenario would be that one performance fanning the flames of reunion talk and when Axl chucks a bucket of cold water over the idea, it'd only seve to reinforce the negative agenda that certain sections of the press hold dear to their hearts.

i'd said it before, its EASY to handle this some properly with official press statements and in their acceptance speech, that they'd go on with their own projects etc. seperate tours are booked aswell. off course there is the nostalgy thing and talking after....but thats part of the induction as they're inducted because of their common past and what they've created together. in the end the "bad press" will have to realize it (seperate ways), too.
"if" they really want a performance that is, but it appears that nobody dares to start the communication.

- worldwide interest -> more promotion -> more $$ for all involved (more selling records, more people goin to shows etc.)
- a cool acceptance speech/performance!
- a cool night for everyone involved!

If Axl had wanted to take route then he's had ample opportunities over the years. The fact that he's never chosen that path should tell you something. And, yeah, more people going to shows expecting to see ex-members, won't that be fun.  Roll Eyes

thats not what i've meant! an event like this will be in the press, news, youtube etc. worldwide (if they all show up that is). its a done deal that GN'R will significantly sell at least more records in the weeks after the event. again....you've asked for "possible benefits".... money is (even if not intended this way), period.

no matter what'll happen, i'm looking forward for a cool night. its entertaining already!  peace

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #956 on: March 11, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »

People would be wondering why the old band can't to a tour and/or album together if they did... And who'll get the blame?

/jarmo

to show the world that he can be NOT full of bitterness and hatred towards an old friend for 1 night, a person with whom he is considered to be one of the few frontman/guitar-duos of all time and with whom he wrote all the hits! it could easily be seen as a touch of strong personality issue to celebrate that 1 night together.

The guy who co-wrote the hits? Izzy?  Cheesy

But isn't is also a strong personality character to be true to your beliefs and not do what others think you should?

It goes both ways....

regarding a performance, or no performance or any re-union talking before/after, surely Axl will be the one being blamed most, no matter what he does. in the end he constantly has been the only one NOT willing to do it.

Exactly. So you think there'd be less reunion talk if the old band was to perform together?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #957 on: March 11, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

SCOM beginning riff and solo, Jungle riff, November Rain solo etc.? Wink

i agree, it goes both ways, but thats part of the paradox artist/fans. and if he truely beliefs that he still doesnt want to deal with Slash anymore and doesnt do what others (fans, general public) think he should do that night, then its an easy thing for him: he doesnt attend the cerenomy!

as for the 2nd question:
depends on HOW they handle it. re-union talking will always be there, it surely will grow if they'd perform, but they could calm down that some easy in advance with no reunion-touring press release, talking in the acceptance speech, interviews etc. how could a press seriously talk about reunion tours when the band clearly said NO @HOF on live tv and its allover youtube?

its just 1 night! and does Axl really care the press that much? come on....

Re-Union time, baby!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #958 on: March 11, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »

I don't think u can let the 5 percent who are gonna bitch regardless deter the excitement it would bring to the other 95 percent.

I think the main reason people bitch is because there hasn't been any closure. Not just for fans but for band members in general.

There was a time I couldn't imagine Axl playing with Duff again either.. I bet he feels 100 times better now he and Duff have buried the hatchet and I guarantee would feel amazing getting that last monkey off his back mending fences or at least just burying the hatchet with Slash. U just can't carry that around with you for your whole life. Its like a dead body strapped on your back you keep carrying and carrying.

They don't have to be friends or hang out or communicate but just let go of the past once and for all. it isn't healthy.

People who say that if they play, they will no longer accept this or that..... Hell,  Roger Waters is doing another huge "The Wall" tour.. do people constantly ask him when Pink Floyd are getting back together?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #959 on: March 11, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »

/jarmo

The guy who co-wrote the hits? Izzy?  Cheesy

But isn't is also a strong personality character to be true to your beliefs and not do what others think you should?

It goes both ways....

Exactly. So you think there'd be less reunion talk if the old band was to perform together?

/jarmo

Sorry to say, but outside of the Guns boards and maybe stuff like Blabbermouth, there is no Guns talk in the mainsteram media at all-maybe if they put out a new album someday or something-just a fact.

libertad
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: