Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2024, 07:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228515 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 493604 times)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #860 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:45 AM »

Guns N' Roses Not Performance !@
- GAME OVER -
 beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #861 on: March 09, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »

I too am happy that a performance is not going to happen, I honestly don't see the good it will do the current Guns N' Roses and GN'R's legacy as a whole. If Axl decided to do this, you will have the media and certain fans calling for a full on reunion, and they will never stop.

Hate to break it to you, but they're not going to stop talking about a reunion.  Regardless of what does or doesn't happen at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  The cry for a reunion is NEVER going to go away.  People still pine for a Pink Floyd reunion, a TRUE Van Halen reunion, Kiss, Sabbath, go on down the line.  It's inevitable, and nothing can be done to make it go away.

So if Axl decides he doesn't want to perform for a multitude of reasons, that's his right.  But if his reason is solely so people won't talk about a reunion anymore.  I'm sorry, but things ain't going down like that.

I know all too well how certain "fans" still pine for a reunion, and always will. So that's my point, why would Axl want to encourage that and put more of a focus on a potential "reunion", so that more fans and the media have more ammo to fire the "GN'R Reunion" bullcrap.  Tongue

Guns N' Roses are successfully touring, and are promoting Chinese Democracy. And are hopefully working on releasing a follow up, in the next few years. So, the last thing Axl wants to do is to put more attention on something that is already a problem in terms of moving Guns N' Roses forward.

He doesn't NEED to do it, he should NEVER consider anything like it, and I'm almost certain it WON'T happen.  Cheesy
I get that point, but to play devil's advocate.  Why not take it to the extreme?  Why even show up for, or acknowledge the honor?  If it's for the PAST, and the focus is on the FUTURE.  Why go to accept the award at all?

I don't know.  I kind of think he should go all in, or not go at all.  People would soon forget about the ONE NIGHT ONLY performance once Axl goes back out on the road with the current lineup and Slash goes on tour with Myles, and Duff is out with Loaded, etc., etc.  Sure the initial cries for a reunion would be loud and possibly overwhelming.  But it would die down to where it is now and has been for over a decade.  I honestly don't think THAT much would change.
I think performing once with the old band would definitely intensify the cries for a reunion and serve as a distraction and therefore undermining factor to the new band. I also don't think it would be as benign as you make it out to be. People would get their hopes up for a larger scale reunion. When that doesn't happen, they will whine and whine endlessly about being mislead and whatnot. It's a no win situation.

Ali
I agree it's a no win situation.  Ultimately though, I think more people would be satisfied with a ONE NIGHT reunion.  Pink Floyd reunited for Live 8 and parted ways again without much of a problem.  It can be done.  Outside of Steven, I don't think ANY of the other guys want a reunion.  It's not only Axl.  They will ALL be flooded with the same reunion questions and they will all have the same answer.  Axl ultimately would probably receive more of the blame, but that's always been the case.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #862 on: March 09, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »

The tweet was deleted and it was confirmed by the company that runs Paul Schaffer's twitter account that it DID NOT come from Paul and that no one knows what will happen yet.

So maybe they will play a song or two? Who knows.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=170914
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:00:31 AM by cotis » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #863 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:19 AM »

The tweet was deleted and it was confirmed by the company that runs Paul Schaffer's twitter account that it DID NOT come from Paul and that no one knows what will happen yet.

So maybe they will play a song or two? Who knows.
I've said all along, I don't think we'll know for sure what will happen until it's all said and done.  It really wouldn't be Guns N' Roses if it happened any other way.  Now I do think we would hear that they won't perform ahead of time moreso than they will perform, but either way I think it'll go down to the wire.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #864 on: March 09, 2012, 12:57:23 AM »

I too am happy that a performance is not going to happen, I honestly don't see the good it will do the current Guns N' Roses and GN'R's legacy as a whole. If Axl decided to do this, you will have the media and certain fans calling for a full on reunion, and they will never stop.

Hate to break it to you, but they're not going to stop talking about a reunion.  Regardless of what does or doesn't happen at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  The cry for a reunion is NEVER going to go away.  People still pine for a Pink Floyd reunion, a TRUE Van Halen reunion, Kiss, Sabbath, go on down the line.  It's inevitable, and nothing can be done to make it go away.

So if Axl decides he doesn't want to perform for a multitude of reasons, that's his right.  But if his reason is solely so people won't talk about a reunion anymore.  I'm sorry, but things ain't going down like that.

I know all too well how certain "fans" still pine for a reunion, and always will. So that's my point, why would Axl want to encourage that and put more of a focus on a potential "reunion", so that more fans and the media have more ammo to fire the "GN'R Reunion" bullcrap.  Tongue

Guns N' Roses are successfully touring, and are promoting Chinese Democracy. And are hopefully working on releasing a follow up, in the next few years. So, the last thing Axl wants to do is to put more attention on something that is already a problem in terms of moving Guns N' Roses forward.

He doesn't NEED to do it, he should NEVER consider anything like it, and I'm almost certain it WON'T happen.  Cheesy
I get that point, but to play devil's advocate.  Why not take it to the extreme?  Why even show up for, or acknowledge the honor?  If it's for the PAST, and the focus is on the FUTURE.  Why go to accept the award at all?

I don't know.  I kind of think he should go all in, or not go at all.  People would soon forget about the ONE NIGHT ONLY performance once Axl goes back out on the road with the current lineup and Slash goes on tour with Myles, and Duff is out with Loaded, etc., etc.  Sure the initial cries for a reunion would be loud and possibly overwhelming.  But it would die down to where it is now and has been for over a decade.  I honestly don't think THAT much would change.
I think performing once with the old band would definitely intensify the cries for a reunion and serve as a distraction and therefore undermining factor to the new band. I also don't think it would be as benign as you make it out to be. People would get their hopes up for a larger scale reunion. When that doesn't happen, they will whine and whine endlessly about being mislead and whatnot. It's a no win situation.

Ali
I agree it's a no win situation.  Ultimately though, I think more people would be satisfied with a ONE NIGHT reunion.  Pink Floyd reunited for Live 8 and parted ways again without much of a problem.  It can be done.  Outside of Steven, I don't think ANY of the other guys want a reunion.  It's not only Axl.  They will ALL be flooded with the same reunion questions and they will all have the same answer.  Axl ultimately would probably receive more of the blame, but that's always been the case.

Pink Floyd did it, but when Led Zeppelin didn't embark on a full scale tour after their performance together, there was whining. As much as their is a precedent for a one night reunion working out alright, it also has been messy.

Ali
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #865 on: March 09, 2012, 01:01:31 AM »

PAUL SHAFFER's GUNS N' ROSES 'Rock Hall' Tweet Did Not Come From PAUL SHAFFER - Mar. 8, 2012

A tweet that was posted on the "official" Twitter account of Paul Shaffer, the longtime David Letterman musical director and sidekick, regarding GUNS N' ROSES' appearance at next month's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony did not come from Shaffer himself, according to a spokesperson for the company in control of the account.

Michael Lichtstein, the Vice President of Programming at Envision Radio Networks, which for the past five years has been producing "Paul Shaffer's Day In Rock", a daily 60-second vignette illustrating the history of rock according to Shaffer, has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"I am writing to set the record straight on a story Blabbermouth printed earlier this evening [Thursday, March 8]. The story quoted Paul Shaffer's Twitter account as saying GUNS N' ROSES would not be performing at this year's induction ceremony. Please know this tweet did not come from Mr. Shaffer, as his Twitter account is in conjunction with his syndicated radio feature with our network, and all tweets are handled by one of our staff members. No one is exactly sure what will happen at the induction ceremony, and we apologize for the inadvertent tweet."

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=170914

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #866 on: March 09, 2012, 01:43:14 AM »

Pink Floyd did it, but when Led Zeppelin didn't embark on a full scale tour after their performance together, there was whining. As much as their is a precedent for a one night reunion working out alright, it also has been messy.

Ali

Led Zep 2007 1x night and a possible follow-up-tour was different as Plant wasnt that sure to do it for months but the band kept rehearsing and talking about it. it took some time for them to realize and say that a tour wont happen. as for GN'R: Axl already has booked european dates, so has Slash the next months. so its about 99% certain that there cant and wont be a massive re-union tour after the HOF.
i'd already said that for the fans' sake.....egos and prime shouldnt ruint that one Guns night.

Re-Union time, baby!!
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #867 on: March 09, 2012, 02:39:24 AM »

I've kept out of this thread until now because it just keeps going in circles but when I start reading generalisations about 'what fans want', I feel the need to post what this fan thinks. I have no quibble with the 'original' band members attending and accepting the award as one, if that's what they all wish to do. Nevertheless, I have no desire to see a nostalgia act perform and can't help feeling that it would be incredibly disrespectful to the current band, who've worked and played their hearts out to re-establish Guns in the public consciousness, if this were to happen.

To me, Guns has always been about truth and reality, in all its sometimes ugly and often messy and seemingly chaotic forms. What it has never been about is bowing to outside pressure and accepting second best. Watching the 'original' members perform on stage together would be the antithesis of everything the band has meant to me throughout the years because, in my heart, I would feel that they were putting on a show which would be neither truthful nor real.

Let me reiterate that this is only my opinion and I accept that not everyone feels this way and I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. As I see it, IF the organiser wants a GN'R performance, then the only option is the current band line-up, i.e. they get told the same story that any other promoter would get: you want a GN'R show, well, this is what (and who) you get. No compromise.

Personally, awards are of no importance to me as a fan. I really couldn't care less about this or any other. Axl, the band and the music are what've kept me hooked all these years and are what I hope to be enjoying for many years to come.

peace

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Boromir
VIP

« Reply #868 on: March 09, 2012, 05:26:21 AM »

Im sure we'll find out whats going to happen that day. It's all up to Axl, he knows best.

Keep Calm and Listen to Guns N' Roses!
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #869 on: March 09, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »

So, apparently Del James has said GN'R will NOT be playing at the HOF.

Did this turn out to be bullshit or are we still unsure?

Man, it is hard sometimes to follow the goings-on of Guns N' Roses.  hihi

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #870 on: March 09, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »

Im sure we'll find out whats going to happen that day. It's all up to Axl, he knows best.

Don't forget that Izzy and Duff have sung lead vocals on Guns songs also.

libertad
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #871 on: March 09, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »

In my opinion, the "whole cries for a reunion getting louder" discussion is BS.
Most fans of GN'R around the globe given the choice would prefer to see the original lineup. That's never going to change.
Same can be said for most bands, GN'R is no different.

If Axl thinks he's sparing himself future headaches, or thinks this current lineup is going to make people forget, he's fighting a losing battle.
I for one don't think he's that stupid. I would think it has more to do with his hatred for Slash. I can respect that, as corny as the whole feud looks to us on the outside, it's clearly very real for them.

It's not disrespectful to the current members. They are reaping benefits (and granted unfair criticism) created by the success of the AFD/Illusion lineup.
I think they would happily step aside for one night, some have said as such.

I was hoping to have the chance to see the AFD lineup play one more time, but didn't expect them to.
Just means the HOF induction is a lot less interesting. GN'R was one of the very last true rock n roll bands, and still relatively young and capable of putting on an amazing performance, so it's a blow to the HOF. Not many more opportunities like this will be coming around anytime soon.

I could care less about seeing them accept an award together. Make a cool picture I guess..

I'd like to see Izzy and Slash jam with the Faces.
Faces are well past their prime, but their material and live performances hold up well next to GN'R.
That would have made a hell of a bill.

Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #872 on: March 09, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

Awesome. I bet everyone will be stoked on this setlist:

Double Talkin Jive
New Rose
Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory
Dust N Bones
So Fine
Godfather

That'll satisfy all the reunion cries Smiley
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #873 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »

well.... looks like its time to put my tickets up on Stub Hub!  I was hoping for a performance, but oh well.  

I love how the Schaeffer crew is trying to backtrack on this.  Just because Paul didn't tweet it means nothing to me.  As a staffer there is no way you would post something like this unless you knew it to be true.  
Boromir
VIP

« Reply #874 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »

Yeah, but its not GNR without Axl.. legally too  Smiley

Keep Calm and Listen to Guns N' Roses!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #875 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »

Ali

Led Zep 2007 1x night and a possible follow-up-tour was different as Plant wasnt that sure to do it for months but the band kept rehearsing and talking about it. it took some time for them to realize and say that a tour wont happen. as for GN'R: Axl already has booked european dates, so has Slash the next months. so its about 99% certain that there cant and wont be a massive re-union tour after the HOF.
i'd already said that for the fans' sake.....egos and prime shouldnt ruint that one Guns night.
I think you're playing revisionist history. I never saw any quote from Plant indicating he ever really considered a tour. That was conjecture.

Ali
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #876 on: March 09, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »

Ali

I think you're playing revisionist history. I never saw any quote from Plant indicating he ever really considered a tour. That was conjecture.

Ali

I think it was Page doing the talking. He made it clear he wanted to tour, JPJ was on board, Plant wasn't.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #877 on: March 09, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »

People are comparing this event to Pink Floyd reuniting for one night at a global charity event to increase awareness of poverty? And to Led Zeppelin playing together to pay tribute to the man who signed them?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #878 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »

This whole thing is one of those "can't win" situations. No matter what Axl does, it'll be criticized in one way or another.
/jarmo

So, to me, playin' a song or two with the old line up is the best thing he could  do, because the majority of the fans really want it to happen. Long time fans are just more numerous than the "new ones" and the "old ones not caring about the past line up anymore" put togheter.
A one-night reunion would cause more happiness than disappointment, i think it's so obvious.  Wink.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #879 on: March 09, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »

So, apparently Del James has said GN'R will NOT be playing at the HOF.

Did this turn out to be bullshit or are we still unsure?

Where did anyone hear this? I'm so confused.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: