Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2024, 11:20:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228505 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 492674 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #680 on: January 23, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »

No matter how much some of you try to rewrite history, Matt Sorum isn't an original member.

He joined the band at a time when the band's popularity was growing. Did he contribute to the band's success? He played on the albums and on the tour. So yeah, he had a part in it.
But did he write the hits? Did he come up with the videos and so on that propelled the band from being huge to be the biggest band in the world?

He's not the only drummer in the band's history. He's possibly the luckiest one though.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #681 on: January 23, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »

I can't believe this is still being discussed.  Matt was in the band at the height of their popularity and played drums on albums that sold millions that is why he is getting in...get over it.  Did he step in shit?  yeah kind of..but that's the way it goes sometimes.
agree...mat played drums on uyi albums which sold more than 30milions copies,he played drums on uyi tour where gnr were selling stadiums in a day...he deserves nomination
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #682 on: January 23, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »

No matter how much some of you try to rewrite history, Matt Sorum isn't an original member.

He joined the band at a time when the band's popularity was growing. Did he contribute to the band's success? He played on the albums and on the tour. So yeah, he had a part in it.
But did he write the hits? Did he come up with the videos and so on that propelled the band from being huge to be the biggest band in the world?

He's not the only drummer in the band's history. He's possibly the luckiest one though.

/jarmo

I think it's safe to say we can all agree Matt wasn't an original member.

I'd argue all drummers post Adler were pretty damn lucky, as they are all capitalizing on the success of drummers that came before them.
Frank is getting paid handsomely I'd imagine, and is playing to much larger crowds than he ever would have had he not stepped into a band with an established fan base.

I could be very wrong, but wouldn't surprise me if Steven has made the least money of GN'Rs drummers, and he without question contributed the most.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #683 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »

agree on "LongGoneDay" here.
the latest point in discussion was not the original member question, it was about a weird "functional" Frank and Matt comparism (exspec. "Ali" brought up), where people tried to re-write GN'R history.

i might add that i like Frank's live drumming a lot and prefer it to Brain's one, would love to hear Frank on new not re-recorded songs in the future.

Re-Union time, baby!!
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #684 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »

Every member since Izzy left was luckiest man in the world.So here is the list of the luckiest men:Guilby,Matt,Dizzy,Tommy,Robin,Buckethead,Richard,Frank,Brian,Ron,DJ Ashaba
richwoman
VIP

« Reply #685 on: January 23, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »

This argument will go around in circles until the ceremony it`self all i know is that i hope the most important member gets an award he deserves and he`s there to accept it  ok #TeamAxl
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #686 on: January 23, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »

the latest point in discussion was not the original member question, it was about a weird "functional" Frank and Matt comparism (exspec. "Ali" brought up), where people tried to re-write GN'R history.

I don't know how this is relevant.

I guess if somebody points out that "Matt Sorum is just a drummer who got lucky and wasn't an original member" the best you can do is to bring up Frank?

Makes sense.  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #687 on: January 23, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »

I could be very wrong, but wouldn't surprise me if Steven has made the least money of GN'Rs drummers, and he without question contributed the most.

Probably best paid; to this day, he still gets 15% royalties on AFD. 
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #688 on: January 23, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »

Functionally, Sorum's role was no different than Frank's.

Ali
when Sorum played about 2 albums all himself (with the exception of "Civl War" and "My World").

Not true.  See Bridge's response for more detail.

Ali

Ali, IS true that you do hear MATT drumming on all 2 albums of the UYI songs with the exception of "Civil War" with Adler and "My World" being a no-real-drummer-song, there is no other drummer on those records! seeing it from this point my reply remains true, and this is a big difference for any "functional" comparism of Matt anf Frank.
we dont know how much of Steven's parts have been "covered" only, it doesnt matter here at all, it is him on studio drums, Matt Sorum, fact!
Frank only added or re-recorded a few songs/song parts when you do hear Matt's drumming himself all over UYI.
Besides that you left out my other points in the latest reply.

You make it sound as if Sorum contributed to the composition of the UYI material. That is not true. It wasn't his drumming "all by himself" when he had Steven's blueprint for those tunes preceding him.

As far as the comment that Sorum and Frank have had the same role, here is what I mean:

Did either one participate in the original/initial construction and composition of the songs they recorded drum parts for? No. Did both re-record drum parts for songs that were originally written by another drummer? Yes. Did both tour behind the records they recorded drum parts for? Yes.

Hence, their roles are essentially/funtionally the same.

Ali
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #689 on: January 23, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »

Probably best paid; to this day, he still gets 15% royalties on AFD. 

Good, I'm happy for Steven that I was very wrong.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #690 on: January 23, 2012, 04:34:08 PM »

If they've worked it out, why can't we. hihi

Matt Sorum - Steven Adler - December 2011:

http://twitter.com/GrantFitz/status/147881604033941504/photo/1

http://yfrog.com/h0ep4vjj

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #691 on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »

@Jarmo:
it wasnt me who brought up Frank/Matt discussion, just re-read the last 2-3 pages.

@Ali:
your version of "functional roles" dont do really its justice here, exspecially not when seeing the big picture. its still MATT only on both UYI albums, everytime a studio song is being played on radio/tv/at home/whereever you do hear him playing drums on them (without "Civil War"), the writing issues dont matter in that case.
its highly highly doubtful that Matt just played on Adler's exact blueprints. Adler couldnt handle lots of the parts Matt put on those records, just remember the trouble he had with playing "Civil War" properly where they had to copy/paste sessions from like 40(?) takes - as being said repeatedly by band members. Frank's (much more less) parts more have been added as some fair/thank-you/respect/another-musical-perspective/i-like-some-of his-drumming/parts-thing (or so) by Axl, its not like Brain couldnt re-record Josh's parts but only Frank could do. also people better remember that Matt not only "stepped in", he was picked by (some of) the original members, he was the one they've wanted back then, they also repeately said that "Matt saved the band". so there is a huge difference in his functional role compared to Frank's one.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #692 on: January 23, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »

So I was thinking. Maybe Axl could do more here then just get the monkey off his back. Everyone, figuratively, wants the original members to get together for just one night. Maybe Axl doesn't want to but he must know how many will be watching if he did decide to do this and perform a song or two... or a medley.

What if Axl was to use this attention for his own gain and the benefit his bros. in Guns N' Roses of today. What if he was to get on stage, and graciously say something like, "Thank you for this great honor and yadda yadda yadda... the new Guns N' Roses album is going to fucking drop on November __th!"

He showed up, motherfuckers can't talk shit, he gets the monkey off his back, and uses the shit to promote what's in his heart of hearts creatively. Its a win win.

I would love to see Slash on Co. face if Axl was to announce a release date on stage with them.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #693 on: January 23, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »

@Jarmo:
it wasnt me who brought up Frank/Matt discussion, just re-read the last 2-3 pages.

@Ali:
your version of "functional roles" dont do really its justice here, exspecially not when seeing the big picture. its still MATT only on both UYI albums, everytime a studio song is being played on radio/tv/at home/whereever you do hear him playing drums on them (without "Civil War"), the writing issues dont matter in that case.
its highly highly doubtful that Matt just played on Adler's exact blueprints. Adler couldnt handle lots of the parts Matt put on those records, just remember the trouble he had with playing "Civil War" properly where they had to copy/paste sessions from like 40(?) takes - as being said repeatedly by band members. Frank's (much more less) parts more have been added as some fair/thank-you/respect/another-musical-perspective/i-like-some-of his-drumming/parts-thing (or so) by Axl, its not like Brain couldnt re-record Josh's parts but only Frank could do. also people better remember that Matt not only "stepped in", he was picked by (some of) the original members, he was the one they've wanted back then, they also repeately said that "Matt saved the band". so there is a huge difference in his functional role compared to Frank's one.

The writing issue doesn't matter? Yeah, ok. If you say so Roll Eyes

Steven's inability to record drums for UYI had to do with drugs, not skill. I find the rest of your argument nonsensical. Nothing you stated in any way disputes how I described Frank and Matt's similarity in their roles.

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #694 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »

so there is a huge difference in his functional role compared to Frank's one.

You keep going on and on about Frank.

Just because he was fortunate to play drums on commercially successful albums, doesn't make him better than Frank in any shape or form.

What are you, the one man Matt Sorum street team?

I get it, he's your favorite drummer. Now, go and profess your love in the correct section.

Danke.

/jarmo

WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #695 on: January 23, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »

Frank is used as the comparison because that is who Ali used in his argument. 

I am done with the argument, its gotten so stupid and ridiculous anyways.  I understand why Dizzy and Matt are being inducted and I will leave it at that! 
richwoman
VIP

« Reply #696 on: January 23, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »

Frank is used as the comparison because that is who Ali used in his argument. 

I am done with the argument, its gotten so stupid and ridiculous anyways.  I understand why Dizzy and Matt are being inducted and I will leave it at that! 
+1  lets move on peace
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #697 on: January 23, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »

Jarmo, you're twisting again! "Frank is used as the comparison because that is who Ali used in his argument." (thanks, "WAR41")

- Frank re-did some of Josh's/Brain's fully recorded parts, that simply wasnt the case with Steven and Matt.
- Steven's "skills" didnt help him to play even 1 song in a reasonable account of takes in studio 1990.
- only drummer on UYI albums ("exception "Civil War") is Matt...not the case with CD and Frank.
- Matt came in and "saved" the band....not the case with Frank.

those are huge differences in their "roles", if you cant see that, oh well....

+2  lets move on  peace

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #698 on: January 23, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »

You really are boring.

You read an interview and think you know everything.

He "saved" the band because of one complimentary quote?

Just because you can't Google a quote by Axl regarding Frank, doesn't mean his input was less worth.

Ooooh Matt Sorum SAVED the band like nobody else has managed to do. He is the savor!

You sound ridiculous.

Anybody who stepped in and kept the band going has "saved" the band.

It's simple logic and common sense.

Now, next time you try to discredit the current band in this thread, will be the last.

I'll "save" everybody from your silly posts.

/jarmo

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #699 on: January 23, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »

Probably best paid; to this day, Steven still gets 15% royalties on AFD. 

Yep, a past member of Adler's Appetite once mentioned that Steven still collects a huge royalty check from Appetite for Destruction and GNR Lies, as well as Live Era.  The big issue there is that Steven has songwriting credits on those albums, something that Sorum never had with Guns N Roses, so he (and every other post-Adler drummer) probably collects a fraction of what Steven makes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:56:26 PM by Bridge » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: