Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2024, 09:29:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228505 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 492616 times)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #620 on: January 19, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »

Rock Hall CEO confirms Guns N? Roses induction lineup

December 20, 2011

There?s been some question amongst fans about which members of Guns N? Roses are actually being invited to the band?s Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction next April.

We now have the answer.

?Who will be invited, obviously, is the original five [that made ?Appetite For Destruction?] and [keyboardist] Dizzy [Reed] and [drummer] Matt [Sorum],? said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Foundation, during an interview Monday on Sirius/XM?s Eddie Trunk Live.

The five GNR members from the Appetite lineup are Axl Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler.

That's who "they" invited.

Yeah, that's who the Hall Of Fame has invited to be inducted.  Will anyone else be there in at the ceremony?  I haven't seen anyone else mentioned so far.

Ahhh... Now Understand, then:

HOF Invited To Ex.Members

Axl Invited To GUNS N' ROSES !@

Touche/

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #621 on: January 19, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »

Bodhi, Matt has no song writing credits and received no royalties from sales of the UYI albums because he was not a member of the band legally...not a party to the recording agreement. He was a contracted employee. Facts are facts.

Ok, that's great.  He is still viewed as a member of the band by most of the fans.  The Rock Hall which is a way more of an authority on this sort of thing than we are appears to think so as well.  Isn't it pointless to argue the validity of his induction when he has already been chosen to be inducted?  Its over.  It is what it is.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #622 on: January 19, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »

Rock Hall CEO confirms Guns N? Roses induction lineup

December 20, 2011

There?s been some question amongst fans about which members of Guns N? Roses are actually being invited to the band?s Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction next April.

We now have the answer.

?Who will be invited, obviously, is the original five [that made ?Appetite For Destruction?] and [keyboardist] Dizzy [Reed] and [drummer] Matt [Sorum],? said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Foundation, during an interview Monday on Sirius/XM?s Eddie Trunk Live.

The five GNR members from the Appetite lineup are Axl Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler.

That's who "they" invited.

right...invited to be inducted.
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #623 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »

Bodhi, Matt has no song writing credits and received no royalties from sales of the UYI albums because he was not a member of the band legally...not a party to the recording agreement. He was a contracted employee. Facts are facts.

Ok, that's great.  He is still viewed as a member of the band by most of the fans.  The Rock Hall which is a way more of an authority on this sort of thing than we are appears to think so as well.  Isn't it pointless to argue the validity of his induction when he has already been chosen to be inducted?  Its over.  It is what it is.

Exactly. And Axl agreed Matt was a member in his Del James 1993 interviews when asked that specific question.
And think about it, most of the current members are probably on way more limited contracts that Matt ever was. Would you call them band members, Sky Dog? Matt is definitely a 'member'
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #624 on: January 20, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »

Exactly. And Axl agreed Matt was a member in his Del James 1993 interviews when asked that specific question.
And think about it, most of the current members are probably on way more limited contracts that Matt ever was. Would you call them band members, Sky Dog? Matt is definitely a 'member'

Bullshit. You have no idea what the relative contract status of the current band is relative to Matt. Matt was never a member of the band in the legal sense. His status was no different than any of the current band members.

Ali
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #625 on: January 20, 2012, 07:06:37 AM »

the difference being current band members like Tommy, Mother Goose, and Dizzy all have writing credits under the Gnr banner. Check out the liner notes to Live Era and see how Matt is listed (additional musician). He is a contracted employee with NO writing credits. I don't care what the fans think or what the RRHOF says (a bullshit organization anyway-authority my ass!). Hell, West Arkeen should get in before Matt.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:39:41 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #626 on: January 20, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »

sky dog, the RNRHOF doesnt seem to care about writing credits, it would be some difficult to do anyway (with all the different "writing" members; also you know West isnt among us anymore, right?). they concentrated on the original classic AFD and UYI line-ups and the mammoth UYI tours where they sold out multiple stadiums(!!) on each tour legs. GN'R surely had more huge influence and success back then than they do have today. we gotta live with that and see how it will work out in less than 3 months.

Re-Union time, baby!!
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #627 on: January 20, 2012, 08:15:41 AM »

no shit sherlock....just happen to have seen 7 UYI shows...don't need a history lesson and am quite fine with just the original five getting in. Ax-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven. Dizzy should get in just for sheer stamina! Matt? Fuck him.

WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #628 on: January 20, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »

no shit sherlock....just happen to have seen 7 UYI shows...don't need a history lesson and am quite fine with just the original five getting in. Ax-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven. Dizzy should get in just for sheer stamina! Matt? Fuck him.

Wow I have never seen such anti-Matt Sorum hate in my life! 

I think the Hall made the right call.  When I think of the 'classic' days I think of the original 5 plus Matt and Dizzy.  I might even throw Gilby on there too even though he only performed on TSI and Live Era, but I understand why he was left off. 
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #629 on: January 20, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »

I think the Hall made the right call.  When I think of the 'classic' days I think of the original 5 plus Matt and Dizzy.  I might even throw Gilby on there too even though he only performed on TSI and Live Era, but I understand why he was left off. 

I think they made the right call too.  Nobody in the music world is debating that call except for a few New Band Extremists on the boards.  Their main reason for not wanting Matt in is because they just don't like him.  Am I the biggest fan of Matt, no?  But his accomplishments speak for themselves.  I am hard pressed to find a drummer I like less than Steven Adler, but that dude deserves the Hall of Fame as much as the rest of them.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #630 on: January 20, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »

I think they made the right call too.  Nobody in the music world is debating that call except for a few New Band Extremists on the boards.  Their main reason for not wanting Matt in is because they just don't like him.  Am I the biggest fan of Matt, no?  But his accomplishments speak for themselves.  I am hard pressed to find a drummer I like less than Steven Adler, but that dude deserves the Hall of Fame as much as the rest of them.
He deserves the Hall as much as the rest of them?  That statement is comically ridiculous.  Fact is that Matt was no more a member of GN'R than any of the current members or Dizzy Reed.  That's not to say that the new band deserves to get in, but Matt's role in GN'R was the same as Frank Ferrer, essentially.  No more, no less.

Ali
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #631 on: January 20, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »

Bodhi, this is your fucking wake-up call man. I am an F.. B.. I.. Agent!  peace

Ali, I agree with you. It has nothing to do with hating Matt. I stick to my Guns....Original 5 and that's it. It's all good though. I am just happy they got in.  beer

WAR41
VIP

« Reply #632 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »

Bodhi, this is your fucking wake-up call man. I am an F.. B.. I.. Agent!  peace

Ali, I agree with you. It has nothing to do with hating Matt. I stick to my Guns....Original 5 and that's it. It's all good though. I am just happy they got in.  beer

I don't disagree sky dog, I wouldn't have complained if it was only the original 5 getting in.  But throwing Matt and Dizzy in there doesn't seem outrageous to me either.  I can understand why they were invited to the ceremony as well. 

GNR hit its peak in the early 90's and Matt and Dizzy contributed heavily to the actual recording of two of the biggest selling albums of all time that also spawned a world megatour.  Writing credits or not they still contributed significantly to those albums and their success
billsguy
Rocker

« Reply #633 on: January 20, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

The band right now is awesome.  But it is not the band who sold nearly 100 million total albums worldwide.  They are not "the most dangerous band in the world" anymore.  When you think of classic gnr, it is either AFD or UYI lineups.  Whether or not Matt got credit, he did nearly all the drumming on the album and toured for 3 years with the band.  Gilby was a tour fill in as far as I remember.

The new band HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH a rock hall induction.  They rock in their own right, and put on a badass show.  Standalone, they would still be popular.  But in this case, original band members didn't die and the band is not continuing on their legacy.  The newer members have a distinct personality that, in the RnR HOF's eyes, is nearly a different band (guessing here).  I don't think this should change what all members, old and new, are doing right now, re: reunion.  Just a one-off performance for some closure.  Then back to rocking in their own rights. 

Mike
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #634 on: January 20, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »

He deserves the Hall as much as the rest of them?  That statement is comically ridiculous.  Fact is that Matt was no more a member of GN'R than any of the current members or Dizzy Reed.  That's not to say that the new band deserves to get in, but Matt's role in GN'R was the same as Frank Ferrer, essentially.  No more, no less.

Ali

I fail to see anything resembling similarity between Matt and Frank's situations.
Matt played on 2 very successful albums. He was in the band when they were touring stadiums. They were the very biggest band in the world.
Did he walk into a great situation? Absolutely, but he made the best of it. Their popularity saw no decline when he stepped in.
There is undeniably a case to be made for Matt getting in, and undeniably no case for Frank.
Frank played on 1 album, and I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'll be an ass and assume it is one of, if not the very least successful in the GN'R catalogue.
I understand not everyone is a fan of Matt, but fan or not, he's heading to the HOF and rightfully so.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:20:52 PM by LongGoneDay » Logged
Ali
Legend

« Reply #635 on: January 20, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »

Ali

I fail to see anything resembling similarity between Matt and Frank's situations.
Matt played on 2 very successful albums. He was in the band when they were touring stadiums. They were the very biggest band in the world.
Did he walk into a great situation? Absolutely, but he made the best of it. Their popularity saw no decline when he stepped in.
There is undeniably a case to be made for Matt getting in, and undeniably no case for Frank.
Frank played on 1 album, and I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'll be an ass and assume it is one of, if not the very least successful in the GN'R catalogue.
I understand not everyone is a fan of Matt, but fan or not, he's heading to the HOF and rightfully so.

Matt and Frank's statuses in GN'R are exactly the same.  They just walked into different situations.  Both of are/were contracted band members.  That is fact.  The differentiation you are making is solely based on what they stepped into.  Their roles are exactly the same.

Ali
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #636 on: January 20, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »

Matt and Frank's statuses in GN'R are exactly the same.  They just walked into different situations.  Both of are/were contracted band members.  That is fact.  The differentiation you are making is solely based on what they stepped into.  Their roles are exactly the same.

Ali

you keep talking about contract status's, the Hall of Fame doesn't give a shit.  The Hall of Fame goes by success, the Illusions were massively successful records, GNR played stadiums to support them, Matt was a part of that, Frank was not.

es the Hall as much as the rest of them?  That statement is comically ridiculous.  Fact is that Matt was no more a member of GN'R than any of the current members or Dizzy Reed. 

My comment about deserving it as much as the rest of them was referring to Steven not Matt.
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #637 on: January 20, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »

Ali

Wow, are you saying that timing shouldn't play a part in any of this?  If GNR started 10 years earlier or 10 years later many of us likely would have never heard the band because of the landscape of music at those times.  Timing is big in all aspects of life buddy.

And please don't think I am defending Matt.  I stated before that if it was only the original 5 being inducted that would be fine with me.  But with Matt being inducted I can see where they are coming from.  I don't know why this is such a big deal to you.  
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #638 on: January 20, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »

Ali

you keep talking about contract status's, the Hall of Fame doesn't give a shit.  The Hall of Fame goes by success, the Illusions were massively successful records, GNR played stadiums to support them, Matt was a part of that, Frank was not.

es the Hall as much as the rest of them?  That statement is comically ridiculous.  Fact is that Matt was no more a member of GN'R than any of the current members or Dizzy Reed. 

My comment about deserving it as much as the rest of them was referring to Steven not Matt.

Well it's tough to say exactly kind of impact Matt and Frank made on the records in my opinion.
Did Matt simply re-record what Steven had written? I've never read what they had to say about it.

I know I read that Brain had re-recorded Freese's parts, and was given pretty strict instructions to stay true to them.
That is a hired gun in every sense of the word to me.

I tend to think Matt had some freedom since his and Steven's styles are vastly different.
Still the blueprint was there for him. I'm not a Matt super fan. I prefer Steven's style, but I think Matt is a much better drummer than he's given credit for, especially on this site.

I like some of the drumming on Chinese. Some of it sounds dated to my ears, but I know Frank wasn't around during the writing process for all those songs.
I thought he was great live, and preferred his style to Brains.

Anyways, regardless of what impact either of them had on their respective albums, we know for sure that one was very successful. The other, not so much. Matt walked into a better situation than Frank did, though Frank didn't do too bad himself.

When I think of memorable drum parts and GN'R, YCBM and Locomotive are 2 of the first songs that come to mind.
He made his presence known on UYI in my opinion.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »

That being said....here's the set I would like to see for the show....

Original 5 play WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City....then bring out Matt and Dizzy for YCBM and the finale, November Rain.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: