Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2024, 07:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228515 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 493610 times)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #920 on: March 10, 2012, 07:46:14 AM »

Lots of negative shit will be said under any possible scenario, unfortunately. 

I am hoping they all show up.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #921 on: March 10, 2012, 07:50:11 AM »

If Axl's not on stage, Dizzy won't be on there either, so it wouldn't just be him.

Don't forget that Matt Scrotum and Dizzy are being inducted as well.

Dizzy is going-he already said, and Dizzy is not necessarily a yes guy to Axl.

libertad
billsguy
Rocker

« Reply #922 on: March 10, 2012, 08:09:43 AM »

Fun is a good cause too. But, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like many want the reunion for themselves. Nobody else.

/jarmo

Jarmo I agree with most opinions that you have on here.  But yes, I do want to see them reunite for just one performance at the rock hall for me.  I don't know who else I'd want it for.  Yes, I don't expect it, or think "they owe it to me" but I'm hoping they do for one night for the fans.  We are allowed to be selfish as fans as long as we don't expect anything or get super disappointed when it doesn't happen.  But I'm not a fan to be charitable.  I'm going to the induction to see them on stage together, which would be amazing, and then hopefully perform, which would be incredible.  And then go their separate ways.

Mike
src
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #923 on: March 10, 2012, 08:31:21 AM »

Ah so we've finally got back to the 'they owe it to me cos I've been a fan all these years' crap, have we. Wondered how long it would take. And before you deny it, just ask yourself what possible benefit could Axl or GN'R get out of performing on stage with Slash & co? None, that's what. So, if you're really a fan of GN'R, why continue with this ridiculous pretence that it wouldn't be detrimental to all that Axl has worked for this past decade.

To anyone still deluded enough to think that just because five middle-aged blokes might choose to get up on stage together, they could in any way recreate the vibrancy, attitude and/or magic (call it what you will), generated over twenty years ago, I say take those blinkers off and for gods sake stop living in the past. Any performance they did could never live up to your expectations and, of course, the finger of blame would come to rest on Axl's shoulders, as it invariably does in these situations.

So beware of what you wish for because it might not only be your dreams and memories that you end up destroying.

You're not the first or the last to try this debate technique here, but it doesn't make it right. What you do is take a statement, give it a slight misrepresentation which makes the argument seem absurd, before you shoot it down.

The original claim here is: The band should "be civil to each other for everyone else's sake"
Your interpretation is: "they owe it to me cos I've been a fan all these years".

What you really do here is shoot down the claim that they should be civil to each other for everyone else's sake. I'd like to ask why. To me it seems completely fair that they should be civil to each other. Am I wrong?

Then it's the second element here: They should be civil because other people would want them to. I get that this is where the interpretation of "they owe us" comes from. But the original poster really doesn't say that. He simply says that they should take the views of "other people" into consideration, and ultimately be civil after considering this. I don't find this completely unreasonable either. In fact it sounds like something people do all the time.

If GnR were to decide to play, I'm pretty sure it would be influenced partly by the idea that it would please the fans, but partly also on the idea that they were pleased they could actually manage to do this very thing for the fans. And that's no bad reason to play.

Now you also ask what good it would do GnR to go on stage and reunite. You suggests it would do nothing good. I think it's painfully obvious it would do a lot of good. I remember that getting Slash and Axl back on stage together was the very dream of every GnR fan when these boards were first loaded on the internet in 1998 or 2000 or whenever it was. A lot of us would enjoy seeing them back together and in itself this would be good. Also it would lift a large burden off certain people's shoulders.

You also say that a reunion could be detrimental to Axl's work the last few years, almost as if it would tear down something he'd already built up. But the present can never change the past. Regardless of whether he plays, Axl's foundation will always be there. He can choose to go on stage with the rest without sacrificing his current, just like certain other musicians reunited and went back to wherever they came from. All Axl would need to do is clarify what he wants.

Ultimately I think we should just wait and see where they land. Personally I'd want to see it happen.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #924 on: March 10, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »

What exactly do those of you wishing for a performance by the old band think such a thing would achieve?

What exactly will it do, that you need so bad that you spend so much time wishing for it?

If you say closure, I say "Really?". Because I'm sure some will be quick to say "If they can play together for two songs, why can't they do a tour?"....

Most of the people who want that reunion won't even be there. How does it affect them?

I understand that some of the people who yell the loudest about a reunion probably want it because they weren't fans back then or were too young to be fans. So for them, I guess a reunion would make it almost like they were there 20-25 years ago....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #925 on: March 10, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »

Would it be great to see them perform if up to it?
Of course it would be. If they are all showing up, why wouldn't we want to see them on stage together?
Would it be like it was in '91? Of course not. Axl and Slash get around pretty damn well today considering their age, but their not 25 anymore.
I don't think anyone realistically expects them to. I'm pretty sure they could still put on one hell of a performance.
Certainly better than anything RHCP or the Beastie Boys could muster up.

It wouldn't hinder what Axl or Slash is doing now. Fans have their minds made up.
The current lineup has and will continue to win over new fans, but they didn't help create AFD or UYI.
There will always be that desire to see the guys who did.
Nothing could ever change that.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #926 on: March 10, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »

I am a HUGE supporter of the current lineup.  They are awesome live.  Love Chinese Democracy.  Can't wait for a follow up.

BUT, seeing as how the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a great honor.  I selfishly would like to see the original guys get up there and perform a song or two.  I don't want a "reunion" and I don't view playing a song or two as anything of the sort.  Will it get people to talking?  Sure.  But people are going to talk anyway.  If all of them show up to simply receive the honor and nothing else people will say it's one step closer.  They can at least be in the same room together now.  So honestly, I think it should be all or nothing.  Go there and perform, or don't go at all.

Out of curiosity, have there been occasions where big name acts have gone to the RNRHOF to receive the award but not perform?  I know Van Halen didn't show, except for Mike and Sammy.  I've heard a lot of talk about Blondie, but don't know the whole story there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:27:09 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #927 on: March 10, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »

What exactly do those of you wishing for a performance by the old band think such a thing would achieve?

What exactly will it do, that you need so bad that you spend so much time wishing for it?

If you say closure, I say "Really?". Because I'm sure some will be quick to say "If they can play together for two songs, why can't they do a tour?"....

Most of the people who want that reunion won't even be there. How does it affect them?

I understand that some of the people who yell the loudest about a reunion probably want it because they weren't fans back then or were too young to be fans. So for them, I guess a reunion would make it almost like they were there 20-25 years ago....

/jarmo

I don't get you on this at all. I'm a massive fan of the current line up, and can't wait to see them in the UK in May. But why are you against the original guys coming together for one night?? It would be a great thing for any GN'R fan. And if the negitive folk pipe up afterwards to say 'why no tour?' etc etc...Who cares. They are not real fans anyway. All the ex members have stuff going on straight after the induction so it's pretty clear they are not suddenly going to reform.

Frankie Valli and the four seasons did it, Led Zeppelin did it..Guns might and might not. On the reason why I'd like to see it- yeah, I grew up on this music and live with it to this day and to see the 5 guys that created Guns even just sharing a stage for one night would be a beautiful thing in my eyes!

Pink Floyd did it at live 8 and people don't complain when Roger Waters takes the wall out on his own.

Now it's really not worth worrying about. What will be will be. I'll be there to do one thing and one thing only celebrate the excistence of my favourite band BOTH old and new.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #928 on: March 10, 2012, 10:43:34 AM »

I'm not against anything.

I want them to do what they want.

If Axl doesn't wanna play with the old band, not a problem. If he does, cool. I support him in whatever he does. 

I'm just curious why some people need a reunion so bad....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
src
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #929 on: March 10, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »

It achieves nothing, but it would be fun to see a cool YouTube clip.
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #930 on: March 10, 2012, 11:45:11 AM »

/jarmo
i agree with you 100% jaramo i dont want a reunion....but to see the original play live at the hall of fame for me would be cool just to see it and hopfully put this feud behind all five partys and go there seperate ways iam a supporter of the current line up 110% axl never looked so happy and comfortable up there on stage

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #931 on: March 10, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »

If Axl doesn't wanna play with the old band, not a problem. If he does, cool. I support him in whatever he does. 

/jarmo

Honestly jarmo because it's like a 20 year long reality tv show that we're wholly invested in. So many arguments, misunderstandings and so much drama from 5-7 characters we feel like we know and defintely love and idolize. And we all want the happy ending. Its the anticipation. That's why we want it so bad. And I think  a part of you who first fell in love with guns in the 80s wants it a little bit too.chinese democracy was a great album and new guns are tight. But this is about something else, the epic reunion of 5 guys who changed rock
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #932 on: March 10, 2012, 01:39:27 PM »

/jarmo

Honestly jarmo because it's like a 20 year long reality tv show that we're wholly invested in. So many arguments, misunderstandings and so much drama from 5-7 characters we feel like we know and defintely love and idolize. And we all want the happy ending. Its the anticipation. That's why we want it so bad. And I think  a part of you who first fell in love with guns in the 80s wants it a little bit too.chinese democracy was a great album and new guns are tight. But this is about something else, the epic reunion of 5 guys who changed rock

not a reunion a celebration for everything that is guns n roses old and new!

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #933 on: March 10, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »

Isn't it a bit like thinking that if you get the players from 20 years ago, the team will be as good as they were and they'll win the championship again?

To me it's one of those "if it happens one day, it happens" and I hope it happens for the right reason(s).

I'm not convinced "fans wanting it" is the best reason....

I think when artists start trying to figure out what their fans want, some of the integrity is lost... You kinda become like a car salesman.

/jarmo

WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #934 on: March 10, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »

This is exactly how I feel too about all of the members of the band, former and current.  I don't think there is anything more rock and roll than doing what you want to do. 

I started feeling this way years ago after I was wondering why Slash was doing so many things that I considered stupid.  Then after the VW commercial, I realized that Slash is doing the things he wants to do, not anything that some one else wants him to do.  If he read these message boards and cared about the ripping that went on here he would probably kill himself!  But he doesn't and I respect that big time.   

So now when people criticize Axl, Slash, Izzy, whoever I just say "well, they are rock stars and there is nothing more rock and roll than doing whatever you want to do."  In the end its their lives and I respect any of the band members, current and former, in their future choices. 

I will always HOPE for a reunion, but I won't be angry at the guys if it doesn't happen.  I will personally be disappointed, but in no way will it tarnish any of their legacies for me or change my feelings about any of those guys. 
vicariousexistence
Headliner

« Reply #935 on: March 10, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »

new comments from duff:

I think it would be killer. Do I hope to? That's a tricky question. It would be awesome. You have those day dreams like, 'We'll go up and play 'Nightrain' and 'Brownstone' and throw down the microphone and drop off! That'll be killer! But I doubt that'll happen.

He went on to add: "There's been no communication about anyone playing. There was probably a day in the mid-1990s where I would have tried to gather the troops, but I'm just not that guy anymore. It's too frustrating to change anyone else? I'm not even sure I'd want to change how anyone else sees the situation. But I'm going."

My posts all have hidden messages.  It's your job to find it.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #936 on: March 10, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

new comments from duff:

I think it would be killer. Do I hope to? That's a tricky question. It would be awesome. You have those day dreams like, 'We'll go up and play 'Nightrain' and 'Brownstone' and throw down the microphone and drop off! That'll be killer! But I doubt that'll happen.

He went on to add: "There's been no communication about anyone playing. There was probably a day in the mid-1990s where I would have tried to gather the troops, but I'm just not that guy anymore. It's too frustrating to change anyone else? I'm not even sure I'd want to change how anyone else sees the situation. But I'm going."

They could belt out 2 AFD songs in their sleep without rehearsing-when Duff and a very wasted slash showed up at a Gilby Clarke show back in 2005, they did It's so Easy, Helter Skelter, and KOHD-they were talking for a few minutes in between songs trying to figure out what song to do-and Gilby's drummer also

libertad
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #937 on: March 10, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »

you've asked for the possible benefits of accepting/performing together 1x that night?
- back to the paradox: crowd and fans' pleaser! the Slash/Axl-duo is a big part of the Rock N Roll history, seeing them together 1 more time -maybe even performing- would just be huge! expecting it? no! do the owe it to us? no! would it be cool as hell? many people would agree!

If you reread what I wrote, you'd note that I specifically referred to a performance. As to how cool it would be, I'd say that nothing I've seen or heard recently has convinced me that Axl has any personal desire to work with Slash. So they'd just be going through the motions for whatever reason and I've yet to witness a cool performance from any artist under those conditions.

- helping old friends to bury the hatchet some more. it can help Slash/Axl to grow in their personalities and get away from all the bitterness and hatred

Do me a favour, you'll be suggesting they talk it out on some reality show next.

- the output on the look could change peoples' opinions about "evil Axl" like.... "Axl cared so much about their fans that he was cool with goin on stage with Slash 1 more time, they even hugged!"

No sorry, can't see the media buying into that for one minute. I think the more likely scenario would be that one performance fanning the flames of reunion talk and when Axl chucks a bucket of cold water over the idea, it'd only seve to reinforce the negative agenda that certain sections of the press hold dear to their hearts.

- worldwide interest -> more promotion -> more $$ for all involved (more selling records, more people goin to shows etc.)
- a cool acceptance speech/performance!
- a cool night for everyone involved!

If Axl had wanted to take route then he's had ample opportunities over the years. The fact that he's never chosen that path should tell you something. And, yeah, more people going to shows expecting to see ex-members, won't that be fun.  Roll Eyes

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #938 on: March 10, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »

Has some of you ever heard that expression about the finger and the arm?

Meaning, give somebody a little and they want more.

Why do you think a performance would help Axl's image in any way?

People would be wondering why the old band can't to a tour and/or album together if they did... And who'll get the blame?

/jarmo

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #939 on: March 10, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »

Has some of you ever heard that expression about the finger and the arm?

Meaning, give somebody a little and they want more.

Why do you think a performance would help Axl's image in any way?

People would be wondering why the old band can't to a tour and/or album together if they did... And who'll get the blame?

/jarmo
"Some" people are always going to think that though, regardless of what does or doesn't happen on April 14th.  If Axl shows up and doesn't perform, that question will still remain.  Him showing up and NOT performing doesn't "solve" anything in my opinion.  I'm not saying he NEEDS to perform, but honestly I don't see what good showing up and not performing does him.  If he doesn't want to commemorate the honor by performing with the original 5 guys who got the whole thing started and is the reason they're getting inducted to such a prestigious group, then why show up at all?

I agree he shouldn't be "forced" into anything.  If he doesn't want to perform, then he shouldn't have to.  I just don't see the point in showing up to accept the award to "appease the fans".  If you're going to go to that length, you might as well go all out.  If he didn't show up, it'd be a HUGE F-U to all the hopes and dreams of a reunion.  That would make more of a statement than anything, if that's the goal.  I don't think that should be the goal.  This is a night to celebrate what the band has accomplished in its history.  What happens after that night is inconsequential.  It would be one thing if GNR didn't have a European tour already booked and Slash didn't have an album coming out and a corresponding tour.  People would soon come to realize that a "reunion" isn't in the cards.  It wouldn't take long.  Maybe I'm giving people too much credit, but that's just the way I see it.

Also, I must add that I will be at the induction ceremony so I selfishly want to see a landmark performance.  So my views may be a bit biased.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: