Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2024, 07:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228515 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 493618 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #900 on: March 09, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

There's a slight difference in jumping up on stage to jam with friends (Zakk) on a song you grew up listening to as a kid (and maybe even influenced you) and to have a complete unrehearsed band play on stage while being in the whole music world's spotlight...

Slight difference!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
wadey
Legend

« Reply #901 on: March 09, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

There's a slight difference in jumping up on stage to jam with friends (Zakk) on a song you grew up listening to as a kid (and maybe even influenced you) and to have a complete unrehearsed band play on stage while being in the whole music world's spotlight...

Slight difference!

/jarmo

good example is Duffs appearance at the O2 in 2010
unrehearsed and thrown in at the deep end  hihi

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #902 on: March 09, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »

Slight difference!

/jarmo

HOB/RIR III: no rehearsing and good concerts
MTV vma 2002: more rehearsing but poor show ("catastrophy")

So?

I'm not saying that it's easy playin' without rehaersing, don't get me wrong but... it's that the big thing? I believe they could play in a decent  way, they are good musicians and they don't have to play Liszt  Wink

Anyway, i'm getting tired of discussing the hof thing  Grin. I just hope the will play,  but i think (i'm sure 99%) they won't...cya
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:51:09 PM by ITARocker » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #903 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »

So?

What do you base this on?

You honestly think the band didn't play together before their first show? hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Calcy
Rocker

He's baaaaaaaack!

« Reply #904 on: March 09, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »

Would imagine an under rehearsed line-up would blow a band like the RHCP out the water anyway.

Would be great to see both the old and new line-ups playing with Axl, showing that the GN'R family is as happy as it has been in a long time. Most of the AFD line-up seem content with doing their own thing anyway nowadays, meaning this ceremony can just celebrate how awesome GN'R have been over the last 25 years!
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #905 on: March 09, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »

I disagree with you on this Jarmo- the guys could easily get up and do a few of the classic songs and make it look good. 'it's so easy', 'sweet child' are played by Axl, Slash & Steven all the time. They are all true pros. I was at the Slash road recovery sound check and they all turned up and ran though every song once and nailed it.

My feeling is that 'good feeling' will take over and the guys will do this. But there is no need to argue. We'll know in 5 weeks.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #906 on: March 09, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »

Pink Floyd did it, but when Led Zeppelin didn't embark on a full scale tour after their performance together, there was whining. As much as their is a precedent for a one night reunion working out alright, it also has been messy.

Ali

Led Zep 2007 1x night and a possible follow-up-tour was different as Plant wasnt that sure to do it for months but the band kept rehearsing and talking about it. it took some time for them to realize and say that a tour wont happen. as for GN'R: Axl already has booked european dates, so has Slash the next months. so its about 99% certain that there cant and wont be a massive re-union tour after the HOF.
i'd already said that for the fans' sake.....egos and prime shouldnt ruint that one Guns night.
I think you're playing revisionist history. I never saw any quote from Plant indicating he ever really considered a tour. That was conjecture.

Ali

Ali, Page was talking all over it. and they kept rehearsing. i dont think Plant openly said tour/no tour....but they were kinda on hold with his ok/no ok and thats where the talking and rumours were coming from more and more. this is clearly different for AFD GN'R/HOF as they have booked tours with different members already for the next months!
also....AFD Guns had and still have time to work this out and openly talk about no re-union tours. they also can talk in their acceptance speech about it, its totally different than the Led Zep scenario 2007/08.
1 night, having (hopefully) some fun....in the end they are honored for what they've created in their past together. they're all grown men, hopefully it'll be a cool night for everyone  beer

edit:
DUFF MCKAGAN: 'There's Been No Communication About Anyone Playing' At GN'R Rock Hall Induction - Mar. 9, 2012

source:
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=170959
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:26:20 PM by Limulus » Logged

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #907 on: March 09, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »

They are being honored for what they created.

That in itself is awesome.

People predicting a reunion, hoping for one... It seems a bit predictable if it happened there.

Like I said, the Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin reunions were for good causes. The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is for what? Fun?

Fun is a good cause too. But, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like many want the reunion for themselves. Nobody else.

/jarmo

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #908 on: March 09, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »

Slight difference!

/jarmo

So?

I'm not saying that it's easy playin' without rehaersing, don't get me wrong but... it's that the big thing? I believe they could play in a decent  way, they are good musicians and they don't have to play Liszt  Wink

Anyway, i'm getting tired of discussing the hof thing  Grin. I just hope the will play,  but i think (i'm sure 99%) they won't...cya

What do you mean there was no rehersing during the House Of Blues and Rock In Rio 2001 shows?. Before those shows took place,  all those players like Robin, Brain, Bucket, Tommy and Paul had to learn new material as well as all of the old stuff. You can bet they were heavily locked in rehersals, and this could have spanned on and off for years.....

The only exception to that would be Buckethead playing with Robin, which was a last minute thing.....but both of those had to reherse all the GN'R material beforehand.

Duff even told me when I met him personally, that he played with Robin a few times and that he was a great guy. So that must have been the middle of 1997, so you can imagine how intense and lengthy those rehersals were, from recording new material to rehersing the Appetite stuff.

Bands need to reherse, even for a one off performance..... some kind of meeting would have to take place between them to discuss what they wanted to do, and how to perform it etc.....and this adds to the belief that it's not going to happen because both factions are occupied in totally different scenes.

Besides, as I explained before......I'm happy that GN'R are getting inducted in the RHOF, but there is NO need for a performance.

I would probably be more accepting of a performance, if Guns N' Roses were inactive for 10+ years.....and it felt like that it was no longer a current band, and when you thought of GN'R the only imagary you could think of were the glory days of 87/93. But that's my whole point, it's NOT like that... Guns N' Roses have been a successful act for the past 15 years, even after the bands "glory days" if you want to call it that.

GN'R has not died, it's as alive today as it has ever been.....so there is absolutely NO need to gather the original band back together for a one of performance, of a song or two. What's the point when Axl has been trying to move Guns N' Roses forward over the past decade, and has succeeded.........I don't see why he would jeoparize that.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:52:50 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #909 on: March 09, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »

I've kept out of this thread until now because it just keeps going in circles but when I start reading generalisations about 'what fans want', I feel the need to post what this fan thinks. I have no quibble with the 'original' band members attending and accepting the award as one, if that's what they all wish to do. Nevertheless, I have no desire to see a nostalgia act perform and can't help feeling that it would be incredibly disrespectful to the current band, who've worked and played their hearts out to re-establish Guns in the public consciousness, if this were to happen.

To me, Guns has always been about truth and reality, in all its sometimes ugly and often messy and seemingly chaotic forms. What it has never been about is bowing to outside pressure and accepting second best. Watching the 'original' members perform on stage together would be the antithesis of everything the band has meant to me throughout the years because, in my heart, I would feel that they were putting on a show which would be neither truthful nor real.

Let me reiterate that this is only my opinion and I accept that not everyone feels this way and I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. As I see it, IF the organiser wants a GN'R performance, then the only option is the current band line-up, i.e. they get told the same story that any other promoter would get: you want a GN'R show, well, this is what (and who) you get. No compromise.

Personally, awards are of no importance to me as a fan. I really couldn't care less about this or any other. Axl, the band and the music are what've kept me hooked all these years and are what I hope to be enjoying for many years to come.

peace

EXACTLY - well said; my position as well (not that it matters).

People drawing comparisons with Floyd and Zeppelin - put down the pipe before the men in white coats come for you.

GREG

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #910 on: March 09, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »

Slight difference!

/jarmo

So?

What do you mean there was no rehersing during the House Of Blues and Rock In Rio 2001 shows?. Before those shows took place,  all those players like Robin, Brain, Bucket, Tommy and Paul had to learn new material as well as all of the old stuff. You can bet they were heavily locked in rehersals, and this could have spanned on and off for years.....

The only exception to that would be Buckethead playing with Robin, which was a last minute thing.....but both of those had to reherse all the GN'R material beforehand.

Duff even told me when I met him personally, that he played with Robin a few times and that he was a great guy. So that must have been the middle of 1997, so you can imagine how intense and lengthy those rehersals were, from recording new material to rehersing the Appetite stuff.

Bands need to reherse, even for a one off performance..... some kind of meeting would have to take place between them to discuss what they wanted to do, and how to perform it etc.....and this adds to the belief that it's not going to happen because both factions are occupied in totally different scenes.

Besides, as I explained before......I'm happy that GN'R are getting inducted in the RHOF, but there is NO need for a performance.

I would probably be more accepting of a performance, if Guns N' Roses were inactive for 10+ years.....and it felt like that it was no longer a current band, and when you thought of GN'R the only imagary you could think of were the glory days of 87/93. But that's my whole point, it's NOT like that... Guns N' Roses have been a successful act for the past 15 years, even after the bands "glory days" if you want to call it that.

GN'R has not died, it's as alive today as it has ever been.....so there is absolutely NO need to gather the original band back together for a one of performance, of a song or two. What's the point when Axl has been trying to move Guns N' Roses forward over the past decade, and has succeeded.........I don't see why he would jeoparize that.  Roll Eyes

What would jeoparize it? Playing one or 2 songs with the original band? Since 2001 the band has added 4 new members, been through 2 riots, 2 or 3 years of inactivity in the middle of the decade,  4 or 5 managers, and you are worried about Axl playing with the old lineup  for one night ruining everything? Can you possibly be serious?

libertad
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #911 on: March 09, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »

Slight difference!

/jarmo

So?

What would jeoparize it? Playing one or 2 songs with the original band? Since 2001 the band has added 4 new members, been through 2 riots, 2 or 3 years of inactivity in the middle of the decade,  4 or 5 managers, and you are worried about Axl playing with the old lineup  for one night ruining everything? Can you possibly be serious?

I think he is serious.  The new band is firing on all cylinders live and cohesive in a way that no version of the band since 2001 has been.  I think playing with the old band would serve as a distraction to the new band's efforts now and in the future.  It may not ruin everything, but it would be a distraction at the very least.

Ali
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #912 on: March 09, 2012, 09:56:11 PM »

Tommy Stinson, D.J. Ashba, ect. all have side projects going on all the time-I highly doubt it would shatter them.

libertad
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #913 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:51 PM »

wouldnt Axl be bashed a lot if he would be the only one not doing a performance/acceptance with the AFD/UYI guys? he even said himself he wouldnt like to be the one ruining it and taking the blame for. if he could put aside his differences for that one night it would change a lot of opinions other people have on Axl, too. add that tons of fans would want and like it!

quoting another fan:
"If Waters and Gilmour can get along well enough to play for a twenty minute reunion, there's no reason that Axl and Slash can't do the same. It's kind of like putting up with your ex-wife for the sake of your kids' graduation. There may still be unresolved issues, but you smile and be civil to each other for everyone else's sake."

start communication please, still some weeks left to handle this out some cool for that 1 night beer

Re-Union time, baby!!
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #914 on: March 09, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »

If Axl's not on stage, Dizzy won't be on there either, so it wouldn't just be him.

Don't forget that Matt Scrotum and Dizzy are being inducted as well.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #915 on: March 10, 2012, 02:15:17 AM »

wow, I am $1,000 richer tonight... thanks Stub Hub!

For those still going I hope you have a great time and I hope the guys end up reuniting for a few songs.  If not, enjoy the beautiful city that is Cleveland. 
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #916 on: March 10, 2012, 03:19:09 AM »

wow, I am $1,000 richer tonight... thanks Stub Hub!

For those still going I hope you have a great time and I hope the guys end up reuniting for a few songs.  If not, enjoy the beautiful city that is Cleveland. 

Is that irony? Or is Cleveland really beautiful?
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #917 on: March 10, 2012, 04:04:04 AM »

quoting another fan:
"If Waters and Gilmour can get along well enough to play for a twenty minute reunion, there's no reason that Axl and Slash can't do the same. It's kind of like putting up with your ex-wife for the sake of your kids' graduation. There may still be unresolved issues, but you smile and be civil to each other for everyone else's sake."

start communication please, still some weeks left to handle this out some cool for that 1 night beer

Ah so we've finally got back to the 'they owe it to me cos I've been a fan all these years' crap, have we. Wondered how long it would take. And before you deny it, just ask yourself what possible benefit could Axl or GN'R get out of performing on stage with Slash & co? None, that's what. So, if you're really a fan of GN'R, why continue with this ridiculous pretence that it wouldn't be detrimental to all that Axl has worked for this past decade.

To anyone still deluded enough to think that just because five middle-aged blokes might choose to get up on stage together, they could in any way recreate the vibrancy, attitude and/or magic (call it what you will), generated over twenty years ago, I say take those blinkers off and for gods sake stop living in the past. Any performance they did could never live up to your expectations and, of course, the finger of blame would come to rest on Axl's shoulders, as it invariably does in these situations.

So beware of what you wish for because it might not only be your dreams and memories that you end up destroying.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #918 on: March 10, 2012, 05:21:51 AM »

there always is the paradox of being an artist (in a big band like this) with all the grey era what comes along with it like "only doing things for yourself", "not owing anyone anything", "feel what is right to do/not to do" and stuff like that - but still you're living from/with the fans. you cant solve this paradox as its always there. the lame "they owe me"-argument isnt really the case with HOF here. take the example with the kids' graduation above: you aint totally forced to go but out of respect you do and behave some cool because of what you've created (= the kids) and what means the kids/fans so much (= that you and your Ex-wife attend or perform together the graduation day).
about "feeling whats right"....ask yourself on how many partys/weddings etc. you did go but you really didnt want in the 1st place? often those ones turned up being the coolest from my experience.
though nobody seemed to get what the HOF really is about, most of the AFD/UYI members said they've felt honored in a way and that its the fans' victory. (= Axl's words!).

you've asked for the possible benefits of accepting/performing together 1x that night?
- back to the paradox: crowd and fans' pleaser! the Slash/Axl-duo is a big part of the Rock N Roll history, seeing them together 1 more time -maybe even performing- would just be huge! expecting it? no! do the owe it to us? no! would it be cool as hell? many people would agree!
- helping old friends to bury the hatchet some more. it can help Slash/Axl to grow in their personalities and get away from all the bitterness and hatred
- the output on the look could change peoples' opinions about "evil Axl" like.... "Axl cared so much about their fans that he was cool with goin on stage with Slash 1 more time, they even hugged!"
- worldwide interest -> more promotion -> more $$ for all involved (more selling records, more people goin to shows etc.)
- a cool acceptance speech/performance!
- a cool night for everyone involved!

and dont forget
- new band members even said they dont have any problem with AFD/UYI line-up performing.
- there isnt a year off for possible re-union speculations.....they all have seperate tour plans this summer.
- there is time left to deal this out some nicely! official statements etc. its all about their own will and communication now!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:24:03 AM by Limulus » Logged

Re-Union time, baby!!
demarz
Opening Act

« Reply #919 on: March 10, 2012, 06:26:57 AM »

Would be amazing to see them all perform together - but wouldn't think any less of anyone if it doesn't happen - a lot of very personal stuff going on there I'm sure.  From a purely outsider perspective, it would be a very cool thing to do though, it would create a little bit of rock n' roll history, no one could be accused of cashing in (as opposed to doing a multi-million reunion tour purely for the money whilst deep down hating eachother) and hey you only live once so f*ck it, it might be fun as a one-off moment.  Would love to see it, as long as it was for the right reasons and everyone wants to do it.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: