Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 07:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 472569 times)
Soori
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »

Been a while since I have posted anything. Congratulations to GNR. I think its a very tricky situation for everyone to be involved with. This will surely be an interesting four months or so. At the end of the day, everyone involved with GNR, past and present are just waiting to see how it plays out between Axl and Slash! Maybe they already know? Maybe Axl already knows whats going to happen. But that is what makes this board so exciting and so open for debate!!! Axl has worked his ass off to keep the GNR name and heritage when everyone left, so credit has to be given to him.

Everyones human and no one can keep hating forever!! Maybe Axl can prove me wrong???  hihi For me personally, and this is my person opinion before everyone starts slating me. I think it would be very cool, just to see Axl and Slash in the same room together. Who cares if they dont talk or do whatever? But to accept this award and move on. The current lineup is amazing!!!!! Hope they turn up too. They deserve to be there. Also wish Buckethead is there lol.

Everyone has problems within their organisation or family!! No one is perfect and its really hard to be perfect. I have suffered family problems and family members who have fallen out with each other for years, only to end up coming to the funeral and regretting everything!! Life is too short. I remember a situation with WWE. When Bret Hart was publicly humiliated in his own country with thousands watching in the arena and millions all over the world. He finally forgave and confronted the people responsible 13 YEARS later. Everyone responded positively with that special occasion. I know its WWE but this is an example of how to take the weight of your shoulder and who the bigger man is and it was Bret Hart. At the end of the day its upto Axl!! I think everyone should stand by him in whatever decision he makes!! Lets not fall out. I apologise if any reference I made in this post offended anyone.

peace
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #341 on: December 10, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »

IMO, Axl should put out a press release NOW.

In his own eloquent way, he should:

1. Reiterate what an honor this is and thank the HOF.

2. State that this honor is a testament to everyone who has ever contributed in any way/shape/form toward the success of GNR despite all the obstacles & detractors in any given time period.

3. Thank the current band/organization & all that is GNR for being a part of the "evolution of the legacy."

4. Thank the fans.

5. In closing, announce that he, himself, will NOT be attending the ceremony due to (insert band obligation; i.e., new tour, new album, etc.)  (Sorry, Dizzy, this means you'll be too busy to attend too but CONGRATS on the honor!!! Grin)

I can only imagine that with both Steven & Matt there any "performance" will be awkward at the very least and a catastrophe at the most.

IMO, Axl should take himself out of the equation NOW.  It's just the ceremony.  The honor is still there.  He's in the HOF.

No matter what combination is chosen to perform that night, without Axl there, there's no argument that it's NOT the Guns N' Roses we want to see on that stage anyway.  Wink

As jarmo said, it's up to Axl.

Let's respect his decision

As always, whether I agree or disagree, I do and will respect Axl's decision.

I was just expressing my opinion hence the IMO.
And IMO this is a way to stop all the "who deserves to be there/reunion" talk and still show respect to the HOF, the entire GNR organization (past n' present) and the fans.
Axl can give his acceptance speech in any format he chooses ... like during the shows or in an interview or whatever.

Again, I do and will respect Axl's decision on this and any other matter concerning GNR.
CONGRATULATIONS GUNS N' ROSES!!!  beer

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
siraddam
Headliner

« Reply #342 on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »

When will we know?
When's the deadline?
I don't reaaly understand who gets invited and who doesn't?
Does the RRHOF send out the invitations?
Who decides?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #343 on: December 10, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »

2. State that this honor is a testament to everyone who has ever contributed in any way/shape/form toward the success of GNR despite all the obstacles & detractors in any given time period.

3. Thank the current band/organization & all that is GNR for being a part of the "evolution of the legacy."

4. Thank the fans.

5. In closing, announce that he, himself, will NOT be attending the ceremony due to (insert band obligation; i.e., new tour, new album, etc.)  (Sorry, Dizzy, this means you'll be too busy to attend too but CONGRATS on the honor!!! Grin)

I can only imagine that with both Steven & Matt there any "performance" will be awkward at the very least and a catastrophe at the most.

IMO, Axl should take himself out of the equation NOW.  It's just the ceremony.  The honor is still there.  He's in the HOF.

No matter what combination is chosen to perform that night, without Axl there, there's no argument that it's NOT the Guns N' Roses we want to see on that stage anyway.  Wink

As jarmo said, it's up to Axl.

Let's respect his decision

As always, whether I agree or disagree, I do and will respect Axl's decision.

I was just expressing my opinion hence the IMO.
And IMO this is a way to stop all the "who deserves to be there/reunion" talk and still show respect to the HOF, the entire GNR organization (past n' present) and the fans.
Axl can give his acceptance speech in any format he chooses ... like during the shows or in an interview or whatever.

Again, I do and will respect Axl's decision on this and any other matter concerning GNR.
CONGRATULATIONS GUNS N' ROSES!!!  beer

I really don't see the big deal if Axl shows up to accept the award with the original guys, or even (GASP) performs with them at the ceremony.  He's obviously made peace with Izzy and Duff.  He's spoken to Steven and Matt over the years.  There's only ONE person he hasn't had contact with or nice things to say about.  That could be a major stumbling block, but if he thinks highly enough of this award then I think he could let bygones be bygones for one night.  It's not like that would be disrespecting the current lineup or wouldn't change what they've done and whatever they plan to do.  Axl does what he damn well pleases.  He's not going to be "forced" into situations he doesn't want to be a part of.  I just hope things go smoothly.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #344 on: December 10, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »

AND the current lineup play live totally better than slash or Adler could do. Slash used to fuck up ALOT on solos. these guys rarely ever do.

No one's debating that. Ron Thal is in a fairly elite class of guitar players. Plus, they're older guys - they're not out partying like early Guns did. But, they co-wrote the songs that are getting a lot of in the room to see the new band. *shrug*

I would debate it. I think it's revisionist history.
The new lineup is a powerhouse live, no doubt about it. They're one of the best live acts out there today.
That said, '87-'93 era GN'R will go down as one of the best live acts of all time. I'm pretty sure they already have that reputation, and have for some time.
Plus, they wrote the material, which is the hard part. Did they make mistakes? Sure did. The new lineup is certainly no stranger to those. No one is.

Having seen the old band in 1992, as well as the new band, I can say that from my perspective it is not revisionist history.  I think that top to bottom, the new band is a better group of players.

Ali

That's cool. The new lineup is certainly no slouch.
For me, no one since has been able to match Slash's tone, for obvious reasons.
There were nights where that era of GN'R was just absolutely on fire, but even their fuck ups were part of the allure in my opinion.
Theres something to be said to be able to watch the real thing live, the guys who are responsible for the material existing  in the first place as well.

Not taking anything away from the new guys, but any band in the world, save for maybe Jeff Beck and a few others, could retool their band with more technically gifted players, and put on a flawless live show. There are plenty of jaw droppingly skilled guitarists out there that most of us will probably never hear.

Steve Vai could fill in for Joe Perry or Keith Richards, but I'm not so sure people would be flooding stadiums to see it.

The new guys are amazing, but the classic lineup created the blueprint for them to follow. And they drew it up when they were 20 something years olds, fucked up out of their heads. Pretty amazing stuff. The new guys have the benefit of a blueprint and maturity, and they are certainly making good use of it.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #345 on: December 10, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »

god what a joke. just get the orig band up there, thats what everyone wants to see.

Sorry, but dont say that because I dont want to see them there, and there is a lot of people who thinks this, but prefer not to argue here.

[If I actually see them, I'll leave this thread and just limit myself to wish Axl not to show up there with Sla$h.

Why would you wish that? If he shows up, it will be because he wants to, and frankly those decisions aren't your concern.

Regardless:

Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists? contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation?s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 500 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes - and more than 50 percent of the vote - are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/

Seems pretty straightforward.

...and? where does it says the AFD lineup plus sorum and Dizzy have to be there? Am I blind or what?

There is an artist, Guns n' Roses, that became eligible for induction for being 25 years away from its debut album.

The one who's eligible is the artist, not the album.

And now tell me: who's the artist? Who's the artist and what persons worked for this band in these 25 years of career?

None of the possible right answers could be ''the AFD lineup plus Dizzy and Sorum''. That combination of musicians is 100% arbitrary (starting for the fact that Sorum and Steven never worked together, same for Dizzy and Steven...)

1. Why do you insist on antagonizing most of the board with your point of view? 

Because I believe in the value of my own opinion. Do you suggest me to change my points of view everytime I find myself alone with them? Sorry, Im not that kind of person. And in no way im alone in this case, its just that too many people prefers not to express their opinions here, publicly, maybe to avoid intolerant replies like yours. But once again, Im not that kind of person.

People keep saying that this band is getting in because of Appetite.  This is true

Prove it. Prove it and I'll move away from here. That's my whole reason to still be arguing here.

There's a band that's gonna be inducted for the ''impact and bla bla bla [...]''. There's a requirement to be inducted: being 25 years away from the debut album. And that's it: you wont find anywhere any line that says ''GNR is inducted because of AFD'' or ''the one that's inducted is AFD, not GNR'', ''the ones that are gonna be inducted are Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Sorum and Dizzy''. In fact, if this award is given for AFD and only for AFD, why the fuck should Matt or Dizzy be there?.

You're stating as the unquestionable truth something that comes from your imagination. Instead, I'm limiting myself to use the information given in the Rock Hall site: http://rockhall.com/inductees/guns-n-roses/bio/

In 1991, inspired by Queen and Elton John, they released the highly ambitious Use Your Illusion albums on the same day. Epic singles ?November Rain? and ?Civil War? proved how quickly the band had evolved in a few short years, and they were soon packing stadiums all across the globe. When the tour wrapped in late 1993, the band paid tribute to their 1970s hard rock, punk and glam heroes by recording an album of covers called The Spaghetti Incident. The band took a long break starting in 1994, but in the new millennium Axl Rose brought a brand new line-up of Guns N? Roses on the road and in 2008 they released their long-awaited album Chinese Democracy.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #346 on: December 10, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »

He should do whatever makes him happy, whether it's do or don't. At this point in his life, I'd assume it's not worth it trying to please other people.

Hall Of Fame is not the end of the world though. If he wants at some stage to play a 1 off show with the other guys without this scenario, he can.

...And if he's going to be doing something he doesn't want to, who really wins?
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #347 on: December 10, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »

Because I believe in the value of my own opinion. Do you suggest me to change my points of view everytime I find myself alone with them? Sorry, Im not that kind of person. And in no way im alone in this case, its just that too many people prefers not to express their opinions here, publicly, maybe to avoid intolerant replies like yours. But once again, Im not that kind of person.

Isn't that called trolling on most (this) forums?

People keep saying that this band is getting in because of Appetite.  This is true.

Prove it. Prove it and I'll move away from here. That's my whole reason to still be arguing here.

I'm curious to know what you think they are being inducted for?

There's a band that's gonna be inducted for the ''impact and bla bla bla [...]''. There's a requirement to be inducted: being 25 years away from the debut album. And that's it

Actually their impact on the Rock culture as well as being a recording artist in the band I believe is a requirement as well.  Which then would nullify my favorite guy from the current incarnation.  Sir Ashba!

On a side note: is something wrong with the forum or am I doing something wrong.  The reply box jumps all over the place for me!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:29:43 PM by jemin » Logged
fTw777
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #348 on: December 10, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »

Isn't that called trolling on most (this) forums?

People keep saying that this band is getting in because of Appetite.  This is true.

I'm curious to know what you think they are being inducted for?

There's a band that's gonna be inducted for the ''impact and bla bla bla [...]''. There's a requirement to be inducted: being 25 years away from the debut album. And that's it

Actually their impact on the Rock culture as well as being a recording artist in the band I believe is a requirement as well.  Which then would nullify my favorite guy from the current incarnation.  Sir Ashba!

On a side note: is something wrong with the forum or am I doing something wrong.  The reply box jumps all over the place for me!
I was reading Dave Mustaine's book recently and he said the reason he wasn't included in the Metallica induction is even though he was in the band for 2 years and cowrote several songs he wasn't on any of the albums so yeah you're correct to qualify you have to have been a member that recorded material on an album at some point.
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #349 on: December 10, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »

Though also look at the fact that Dio didn't go in with Sabbath.

CD will be out when it's out. ....
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #350 on: December 10, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »

4. Thank the fans.

Completely agree.  It seems pretty likely that no one in the general public will be giving the new (for lack of a better term) band their due.  Also, the people running the broadcast know that the real publicity will be gained from milking how badly everyone wants Slash and Axl back together.  Essentially, I see this going down in much the same way that "Behind the Music" did: negating all that Axl and the current band have done - attempting to pitch them as a faux GN'R.  

Axl probably knows this and will, more than likely, bail.  At least I would if I was him, but, then again, it's his decision.  

For what it's worth, I'm already preparing for a broadcast that negates the current band and somehow worships the old lineup while depicting Axl as a greedy, reactionary, maniacal madman who never releases his music.  I suggest you all do the same.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #351 on: December 10, 2011, 02:38:44 PM »

For what it's worth, I'm already preparing for a broadcast that negates the current band and somehow worships the old lineup while depicting Axl as a greedy, reactionary, maniacal madman who never releases his music.  I suggest you all do the same.

Which is bound to happen if he bails.
slush72
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #352 on: December 10, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »

Axl should maybe just show up and do the right thing...play a couple songs to shut everyone up and go back to the old band.  Although it was be fucking killer to see a full onm reuinion.
new gnr fan
Headliner

« Reply #353 on: December 10, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »

I think, the old members have to stay in there seats after the speaches, and watch a kick ass Guns N' Roses concert, as a observer!

枪和玫瑰 中國民主
Annie
« Reply #354 on: December 10, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »

Since Axl is the last man standing of the original lineup he deserves to be there to accept the award IF he chooses to do so. He also deserves to perform with the current lineup IF he chooses to do so. None of us can predict or control what kind of spin the media will put on this event.
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #355 on: December 10, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »

Which is bound to happen if he bails.

And/or if he shows.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #356 on: December 10, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »

*looks up from newspaper* You guys still goin on, huh? *looks back down to newspaper*

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
Loco_motive
Opening Act

Wreckage Of Twisted Dreams

« Reply #357 on: December 10, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »

I think, the old members have to stay in there seats after the speaches, and watch a kick ass Guns N' Roses concert, as a observer!

No disrespect for any current touring members of GNR...but most of them (ashba, thal, fortus, ferrer) weren't really involved in writing/arranging/recording whole parts of any of the current songs, were they?  Up to this point, they've only been involved in performing the music others have already recorded live.  Maybe a few of them re-did solos or whatever on already-finished songs...but, anyone with an ounce of taste would view the current touring members at the HOF playing AFD/UYI tunes as an insult/joke/in bad taste, etc...  If anyone (other than the original members) plays with Sir Axl (if indeed he or the HOF--however that'll manisfest itself--decides to play live) it should be Buckethead, Brain, and Finck...the real contributors to the underrated gem that is Chinese Democracy.  And, don't fool yourself...that happens to be the only "official" recorded release of music since the band's heyday.  Honestly, I'd be content with NO live performance, even though I favor the original lineup reuniting for at least this event.  The RR HOF should assemble an "all star" group of sorts to crank out a few AFD/UYI tunes for the ceremony, if anything.  This way, everyone involved will save face, and perhaps most importantly, NONE of the fans--past/present/future--will feel slighted.

5/24/91 - East Troy, WI (1st UYI tour show)
11/18/02 - Chicago
VR 1/25/08 - Milwaukee
Slash 9/5/10 - Milwaukee
2/19/12 - Chicago
7/1/16 - Chicago
8/2/17 - Denver
11/7/17 - Milwaukee
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »

IMO Axl will accept the award via satellite or a prerecorded video. This is an award he must accept in some way shape or form. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't involved somehow. Even if he just wrote a statement for them to read at the ceremony.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #359 on: December 10, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »

Essentially, I see this going down in much the same way that "Behind the Music" did: negating all that Axl and the current band have done - attempting to pitch them as a faux GN'R.  

That's not a valid comparison.  The "Behind the Music" aired in 2004, before Axl released Chinese Democracy and before he started registering some solid touring.  At the time, Axl hadn't released an album, and his 2002 tour had been fraught with no-shows and riots, so there was nothing for "Behind the Music" to cover in the way of his new band.

Though also look at the fact that Dio didn't go in with Sabbath.

Neither did the dozens of other musicians who recorded under the Black Sabbath name from 1980-1992.  Only the original lineup was inducted.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: