Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 08:02:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 472628 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »

AND the current lineup play live totally better than slash or Adler could do. Slash used to fuck up ALOT on solos. these guys rarely ever do.

No one's debating that. Ron Thal is in a fairly elite class of guitar players. Plus, they're older guys - they're not out partying like early Guns did. But, they co-wrote the songs that are getting a lot of in the room to see the new band. *shrug*

I would debate it. I think it's revisionist history.
The new lineup is a powerhouse live, no doubt about it. They're one of the best live acts out there today.
That said, '87-'93 era GN'R will go down as one of the best live acts of all time. I'm pretty sure they already have that reputation, and have for some time.
Plus, they wrote the material, which is the hard part. Did they make mistakes? Sure did. The new lineup is certainly no stranger to those. No one is.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »

AND the current lineup play live totally better than slash or Adler could do. Slash used to fuck up ALOT on solos. these guys rarely ever do.

No one's debating that. Ron Thal is in a fairly elite class of guitar players. Plus, they're older guys - they're not out partying like early Guns did. But, they co-wrote the songs that are getting a lot of in the room to see the new band. *shrug*

I would debate it. I think it's revisionist history.
The new lineup is a powerhouse live, no doubt about it. They're one of the best live acts out there today.
That said, '87-'93 era GN'R will go down as one of the best live acts of all time. I'm pretty sure they already have that reputation, and have for some time.
Plus, they wrote the material, which is the hard part. Did they make mistakes? Sure did. The new lineup is certainly no stranger to those. No one is.

Having seen the old band in 1992, as well as the new band, I can say that from my perspective it is not revisionist history.  I think that top to bottom, the new band is a better group of players.

Ali
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »

god what a joke. just get the orig band up there, thats what everyone wants to see.

Sorry, but dont say that because I dont want to see them there, and there is a lot of people who thinks this, but prefer not to argue here.

[If I actually see them, I'll leave this thread and just limit myself to wish Axl not to show up there with Sla$h.

Why would you wish that? If he shows up, it will be because he wants to, and frankly those decisions aren't your concern.

Regardless:

Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists? contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation?s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 500 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes - and more than 50 percent of the vote - are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/

Seems pretty straightforward.

...and? where does it says the AFD lineup plus sorum and Dizzy have to be there? Am I blind or what?

There is an artist, Guns n' Roses, that became eligible for induction for being 25 years away from its debut album.

The one who's eligible is the artist, not the album.

And now tell me: who's the artist? Who's the artist and what persons worked for this band in these 25 years of career?

None of the possible right answers could be ''the AFD lineup plus Dizzy and Sorum''. That combination of musicians is 100% arbitrary (starting for the fact that Sorum and Steven never worked together, same for Dizzy and Steven...)

Why is everyone saying Nu Guns n roses??
They have been in the band for over ten years. ITs not NU!!!
Thats alot more than Slash , Adler , Izzy, Duff .
Who have also stuck with the band through the low points and still are playing with them.
I think Axl should mention the current members to congratulate them for sticking with axl all these years regardless of all the bad press.

I will never understand that. Tommy, Dizzy, Chris have waaaay more time in the band (and here we're talking about the HARD times, times that became hard basicly because of some of the AFD members that now want to ''be GNR again'', when they once abandoned the band by their own decision, 'cause no one forced them to leave) than any of the AFD members (do I need to mention Sorum? The greatest thing Sorum did for GNR was suggesting Robin for the band...). Richard has been in the band for almost 10 years too!

Another thing I cant understand is why in hell someone would dismantle a band that's a powerhouse live to re-make a band that would be a lot inferior in every single aspect. Have you checked how ''Civil War'' sounded in the very first time this lineup played it, compared to ''Farm Aid's'' version (first time ever)? Not to mention the chemistry onstage. Axl has a band right now, a band who acts like a band. A family basicaly. GNR stopped being a band very early in 1991...

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #323 on: December 09, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »

Im sure they ALL will go.They will speak each other before they go,and for a day the will forgot all.Im talking about the original band.

Can't really ask for more than that.

If the old band goes up on stage, accepts the honor of being inducted, and go their seperate ways five minutes after the ceremony, at least we got to see them one last time as they once were. For me, that would bring closure, and allow me to more willingly accept the current band using the GN'R name.

It's an exciting time for all Guns fans, but just the IDEA of the old band coming together for any purpose is, for me, chill-inducing.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #324 on: December 09, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »

It cool in all that they got in , but the hall is a fucking joke!

And reading some of theses post has my believing some kats are drink way to much kool aid ...just plain out right "delusional"!

CD will be out when it's out. ....
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #325 on: December 09, 2011, 08:20:59 PM »

I'm gonna make an attempt to get a pair of tickets the morning they go on sale. If I don't get 'em it won't be the end of the world, but I'm going to at least make an attempt. Seeing as it's only a 3 hour drive, it would be a neat thing to be involved in.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #326 on: December 09, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »

Just checkin' in. People still bickering back and forth like schoolchildren?

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #327 on: December 09, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »

estebanf, you're so annoying and sound so pretentious. you really sound like a taliban, a fanatic.

seeing the original gnr inducted is not the end of the world, even axl seems happy about it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:03:01 PM by hartman » Logged

GNR forever !!
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #328 on: December 09, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »

you really sound like a fanatic.

that's exactly what I am, and a proud one. Are you gonna judge me for that HERE, in the biggest GNR message board in the world? Are you kidding me?

Go find rationality and objectivity regarding GNR somewhere else. Jesus...  Tongue

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #329 on: December 09, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »

IMO, Axl should put out a press release NOW.

In his own eloquent way, he should:

1. Reiterate what an honor this is and thank the HOF.

2. State that this honor is a testament to everyone who has ever contributed in any way/shape/form toward the success of GNR despite all the obstacles & detractors in any given time period.

3. Thank the current band/organization & all that is GNR for being a part of the "evolution of the legacy."

4. Thank the fans.

5. In closing, announce that he, himself, will NOT be attending the ceremony due to (insert band obligation; i.e., new tour, new album, etc.)  (Sorry, Dizzy, this means you'll be too busy to attend too but CONGRATS on the honor!!! Grin)

I can only imagine that with both Steven & Matt there any "performance" will be awkward at the very least and a catastrophe at the most.

IMO, Axl should take himself out of the equation NOW.  It's just the ceremony.  The honor is still there.  He's in the HOF.

No matter what combination is chosen to perform that night, without Axl there, there's no argument that it's NOT the Guns N' Roses we want to see on that stage anyway.  Wink

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »

2. State that this honor is a testament to everyone who has ever contributed in any way/shape/form toward the success of GNR despite all the obstacles & detractors in any given time period.

3. Thank the current band/organization & all that is GNR for being a part of the "evolution of the legacy."

4. Thank the fans.

5. In closing, announce that he, himself, will NOT be attending the ceremony due to (insert band obligation; i.e., new tour, new album, etc.)  (Sorry, Dizzy, this means you'll be too busy to attend too but CONGRATS on the honor!!! Grin)

I can only imagine that with both Steven & Matt there any "performance" will be awkward at the very least and a catastrophe at the most.

IMO, Axl should take himself out of the equation NOW.  It's just the ceremony.  The honor is still there.  He's in the HOF.

No matter what combination is chosen to perform that night, without Axl there, there's no argument that it's NOT the Guns N' Roses we want to see on that stage anyway.  Wink

Most brilliant post of the 17 pages. Agreed word by word with you.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #331 on: December 09, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »

If I get tickets, I'm going regardless if 1, none of any number of members of GN'R show up to accept the honor.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »

4. Thank the fans.

As jarmo said, it's up to Axl.

Let's respect his decision

GNR forever !!
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2011, 11:06:12 PM »

god what a joke. just get the orig band up there, thats what everyone wants to see.

Sorry, but dont say that because I dont want to see them there, and there is a lot of people who thinks this, but prefer not to argue here.

[If I actually see them, I'll leave this thread and just limit myself to wish Axl not to show up there with Sla$h.

Why would you wish that? If he shows up, it will be because he wants to, and frankly those decisions aren't your concern.

Regardless:

Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists? contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation?s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 500 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes - and more than 50 percent of the vote - are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/

Seems pretty straightforward.

...and? where does it says the AFD lineup plus sorum and Dizzy have to be there? Am I blind or what?

There is an artist, Guns n' Roses, that became eligible for induction for being 25 years away from its debut album.

The one who's eligible is the artist, not the album.

And now tell me: who's the artist? Who's the artist and what persons worked for this band in these 25 years of career?

None of the possible right answers could be ''the AFD lineup plus Dizzy and Sorum''. That combination of musicians is 100% arbitrary (starting for the fact that Sorum and Steven never worked together, same for Dizzy and Steven...)

So you're being a little misguided here and let me tell you why.

1. Why do you insist on antagonizing most of the board with your point of view?  You said you peace, why do you feel you need to go on and on?  You're embarrasing yourself.

2. Your point about musicians from late 90s on having just as much right of being inducted into the HOF as individuals is absurd.  I'm going to go on a little long here, but hear me out. 

People keep saying that this band is getting in because of Appetite.  This is true, but its more than that.  It starts with Appetite, a record that changed everything.  Performed and written by 5 musicians who WROTE one of the greatest records of all time.  The greatest hard rock debut of all time, bar none.  We're talking about a time when 5 young punks came together singing songs about stories from the gutters of Hollywood, with a mix of classic blues based rock  and punk and glam, to back it up...a fuckin masterpiece, and it was as real and raw as it gets.  There's been nothing like it since.  This band blew the fuck up, changed the game with Patience (Unplugged anyone?), released UYI 1 & 2 with expansive songs that showed how versitle they could be.  They were the next Rolling Stones.  They sold out stadiums. They were dangerous.  There was a time....Then the drugs got to be too much....then Axl was dealing with personal issues and crazy huge fame, and things got more fucked up.  Boom! 

Time passes, Axl starts getting shit together, time passes, new years, time passes, Rio, time passes, sad ending to '02 tour, time passes, '06 comeback tour and band sounding kickass, time passes, more lineup changes, time passes, finally release Chinese Democracy, time passes, DJ joins, time passes, band tours 2010 and 2011 sounding its best in many years, and here we are at the doors of the HOF.

Look, I love the new band, I love CD, but its not about the amount of time a member has been in the lineup, its about those that had a major impact and influence on rock n' roll.  Obviously the honor goes to the original 5 with a good case being made for Dizzy and Matt who were involved with UYI.  Just because Chinese Democracy is in my opinion has got to be one of the most under appreciated albums of all time, doesn't make it HOF worthy.  Bands also don't get in for jusr playing live.  The majority of people seeing GN'R on tour are there to see the classics first and foremost.  And while think they're winning over people with the new band and songs from CD every night they play, but this doesn't make these members worthy of joining the HOF.  If we use your logic, then lets have all future members automatically join the HOF too!

Can't we all just be civil and enjoy that the one thing we all have in common, GN'R, one of our favorite bands, is being inducted along side the greatest and most influential rock bands of all time.  Sorry dude, but Slash was a big part of their history and wrote some of the greatest licks of all time.  Those same ones you hear DJ and Ron playing on tour.  The beef between Slash and Axl is there shit, not yours.  So stop with this silly shit and just chill dude!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:10:49 PM by 14 Yrs Of Silence » Logged

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2011, 11:37:33 PM »

4. Thank the fans.

Axl shouldn't have to do anything "now",

this is his band let him deal with this honour how he sees fit.
There no wrong or right way to do it, the only right way is what Axl chooses as he's the one that has kept the gnr dream alive.

I respect whatever choice he does and I'm just appreciative that he has recognized it via Twitter and fb, I don't want him to do something against his own belief in order to jus please those who aren't in the band.

Just enjoy it, whatever happens gnr are still alive and kicking in 2011/2012

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Apple7
Rocker

« Reply #335 on: December 10, 2011, 01:21:38 AM »

Apple7GnR @gunsnroses today I start the campaign for that old-member don't going to HOF #HOFGnRtoday
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #336 on: December 10, 2011, 03:22:59 AM »

i hope that axl doesn't let anyone or anything stop him from attending the ceremony

that's exactly what all of the negative people would like to see happen so they'll have something to talk about and also have another excuse to keep saying hateful things towards him and gnr... the band seems to be on fire lately and i know those people must be  itching for something new to complain about but with guns n roses kicking ass for 3 hours night after night they're just not getting it so you know that's gotta be killing them
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:25:56 AM by Jeramy » Logged

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #337 on: December 10, 2011, 06:09:57 AM »

So this is actually a biggest fan contest ?  Huh
"How many times have you seen them live ?"
"the old band or the current one ?"
"how many tattoos you have ?"
Blah-blah-blah...Screw the HOF and whatever rules they have or don't have.
There's no rock n' roll attitude in it anyway

Let's just see what happens,whatever that is,i'm sure we'll like it !  beer

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
Jarl
Rocker

« Reply #338 on: December 10, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »

So this is actually a biggest fan contest ?  Huh
"How many times have you seen them live ?"
"the old band or the current one ?"
"how many tattoos you have ?"
Blah-blah-blah...Screw the HOF and whatever rules they have or don't have.
There's no rock n' roll attitude in it anyway

Let's just see what happens,whatever that is,i'm sure we'll like it !  beer
My hero  beer
one of the rare posts that make any sence

jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #339 on: December 10, 2011, 09:40:59 AM »

I love all the folks putting up their lists of what they think Axl should do with himself. I'd love to see one of you present said lists to Axl in person, I'm sure I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that one. Just enjoy the GnR drama everyone, I'm pretty sure the debates will live on until we're all old, withered, and have one and a half feet in the grave.    drool
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: