Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:18:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Should GNR drop a new single to promote the upcoming tour?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should GNR drop a new single to promote the upcoming tour?  (Read 6208 times)
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »

I think pretty much anything fresh on the radio would be awesome and help a great deal.  Maybe a new song, but I think re-releasing a Chinese song that they plan on playing at every show would work as well.  Anything to help promote the tour and get people in the states thinking about GNR again would be good.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Erick
Headliner

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »

sorry for English.

In Best Buy's site is relaunching all of GNR catalog format for SHM day 15/11/2011, Tuesday

The last time this happened was the release of Chinese right?

I'll be happy when a new album is released, but they decide the best time, I'm happy because of the tour to take place in the U.S., went to a show in Sao Paulo one of the best in my life!, I'm happy for the band and because I see Axl again
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »

I don't think there will be new music played, just for the fact that they are touring under Chinese Democracy.  I think the reason we heard new music during the 2006 Tour was because of the leaks... though I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

I think you are in the main wrong about the timing of leaked songs verses hearing them live, IIRC most (if not all) of what was leaked had been played live.... I may be wrong, but I can't recall a song that was leaked as a studio version before it was heard at some show or other. My caveat is that the squiwel (whatever he called himself) leaks were just before the album dropped and don't count in the context under debate.

Catcher, There Was A Time, I.R.S. and Better I think..

Correct, Hence the 'Downloading Motherfuckers' comment before Better  ok
I salute you, both of you, but was this before 2006?

Yup, IRS was first, Catcher was mentioned in the Trunk Interview w/ Mike Piazza, before any shows had been played, (plus they didn't play it 06/07)

And I remember every one was harsh on Ron for his TWAT solo (compared to BH's) @ hammerstein because he was in the band for like 5 min before he played it
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:31:01 PM by Loaded NightraiN » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »

IRS came in a shitty quality record from Trunk's radio show in 2005. By January 2006, the first high-quality tunes leaked: IRS, Better and TWAT. Not long after, came Catcher with Brian May along with early recordings of IRS and TWAT.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »

I think pretty much anything fresh on the radio would be awesome and help a great deal.  Maybe a new song, but I think re-releasing a Chinese song that they plan on playing at every show would work as well.  Anything to help promote the tour and get people in the states thinking about GNR again would be good.

A new single on the radio would certainly create some new excitement for the band. I think this is most important in the US, although the ticket sales haven't actually started yet so it's hard to say how it's gonna go.

For all we know, all shows will sell out without any new studio material on the airwaves. Anyway, some promotion is always needed and new songs would be the coolest for us not attending these shows.  hihi

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »

Not really what most people would expect now, but a live DVD/BR would also create some new excitement.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »

Not really what most people would expect now, but a live DVD/BR would also create some new excitement.

The fact that they will bring Dale Rage with em again to South America brings hope for the future.

Maybe a little short on time to get it out ahead of the US tour (if it indeed starts in Oct), but maybe during or in time for christmas..  peace

Sweetness is a virtue
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

Now would be a great time to release "The General" as a single. It would rouse a lot of interest in gnr which would undoubtedly help ticket sales.

Would also keep the hard cores happy, and if this song would be added to the live sets, it wouldn't be a massive deviation from the existing show. I was lucky enough to see guns last year so I know how well the current show works!

This would be totally amazing.

Question is, I suppose, could this be arranged through the record company?

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »

Now would be a great time to release "The General" as a single. It would rouse a lot of interest in gnr which would undoubtedly help ticket sales.

Couldn't agree more.  I mean, how long can you keep "the sequel to Estranged" underwraps?  drool
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »

I'm kind of on the fence on this one.

I agree with Jarmo in a lot of ways (the band should do what it feels is best, and we always have the dates to look forward to). On the other hand, the U.S. is a difficult market for rock at the best of times - and these are not the best of times.

I'm hoping they either stick to major markets, or get a single out, just so that we can see further dates added down the line. Too many festivals and tours have scrapped dates or whole tours in the past two summers in North America. I'm fucking lucky to be north of the border since rock still sells here and we got Guns early in 2010. Although if they dip by Detroit or Buffalo I might catch them there.

In any case I'm guessing we'll know more soon enough.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »

Single and video from Chinese Democracy! How about finally gettin "Better"? And "This I Love" and a live dvd for Cristhmas! drool

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »

I would LOVE it if they released a live Blu-Ray!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »

Not sure why they should release 'The General' as a single? To my knowledge no one has heard it (unless you're talking about the few seconds of checkmate or whatever that was). Might be completely unsuitable for radio play, more of a 'Coma' than a 'November Rain.

I'm a big fan of albums, particularly when they flow well, but GNR (esp new gnr) has such a diverse range of songs I think they could regularly release singles or small EPs to Itunes, and done right it could be a really cool thing for touring. As wrong as it might have been at the time there was something cool going to the concerts having heard one of the leaks.

But I agree with whoever said about playing unreleased material kind of dampens a concert if no one knows the song.

Anyway, I'm sure the vast majority will have a great time whatever they play!

Here today...ready to rock
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 06:27:22 PM »

Not sure why they should release 'The General' as a single? To my knowledge no one has heard it (unless you're talking about the few seconds of checkmate or whatever that was)

Don't think it's "Checkmate"

When asked on twitter what was played as an intro at the concerts, GN'R responded:

"there are several.. "the General" is probably most played before CD"

To my knowledge, this is the most played one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TnoH-HCRo

Sweetness is a virtue
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »

Better question would be, Will GNR break out a new song or two on the tour??? I think that is more plausible.

Remember The Blues,Maddy and CD as live staples way before CD came out?? How bout a couple new songs like that?

With a US tour, I'd be happy with a new single sent to radio and a video.. how bout "Sorry" I haven't met ANYONE that doesn't like that song.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »

Not sure why they should release 'The General' as a single? To my knowledge no one has heard it (unless you're talking about the few seconds of checkmate or whatever that was)

Don't think it's "Checkmate"

When asked on twitter what was played as an intro at the concerts, GN'R responded:

"there are several.. "the General" is probably most played before CD"
this one is slightly different http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbrV-uG_Giw&feature=related

To my knowledge, this is the most played one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TnoH-HCRo

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »

Live tracks and live concert DVDs/Bluray are great for people who like us, who are already fans.

But they don't usually "promote" a tour. In advance of the tour.

Usually you release those kinds of things after the tour.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »

Makes sense, jarmo. Still, would be really cool.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »

Here's my dream scenario:

In September, after several weeks of rumors, GNR finally confirms the long-awaited, full-on, U.S. tour.  Also in the press release, they reveal the name of a single that's to be released to radio stations in October, for the forthcoming followup to Chinese Democracy.

The first single is debuted live at Rock in Rio 4.  The day after Rio, the band issues a press release detailing the show, and announcing the new album for a late-November release date.

The band finishes the SA tour, heads to the states, and tears it up on the heals of the new album.

How badass would that be?? 

That said, if the band is just touring the states to bring the live show home, I'll be more than happy with that.  ok
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:16:20 PM by sofine11 » Logged
Stoned_In_L.A.
Headliner

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 09:37:09 PM »

Think about it, how cool would it be if GNR released, let's say, The General or Soul Monster to radio stations and available for sale on iTunes to promote the upcoming tour?

Since it's unclear as to whether the upcoming shows, particularly the upcoming states tour, are still in support of Chinese Democracy, I think a new single to draw attention to GNR and move them forward musically would do nothing but good for both the band and the fans.  ok

Thoughts?

Is there anyone who doesn't think that this would be a good idea?

Unfortunately, it seems very unlikely that this will actually happen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: