Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Should GNR drop a new single to promote the upcoming tour?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should GNR drop a new single to promote the upcoming tour?  (Read 6217 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« on: August 29, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »

Think about it, how cool would it be if GNR released, let's say, The General or Soul Monster to radio stations and available for sale on iTunes to promote the upcoming tour?

Since it's unclear as to whether the upcoming shows, particularly the upcoming states tour, are still in support of Chinese Democracy, I think a new single to draw attention to GNR and move them forward musically would do nothing but good for both the band and the fans.  ok

Thoughts?
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »

To answer your question...

Yes
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »

I don't think you'll find a GN'R fan who wouldn't wanna hear more music from the band.

So I think every member here would say "yes".

Would be awesome if something like that happened. If it doesn't, we still have the shows to look forward to and that's definitely not too shabby! Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »

For a while I was on the fence about whether I thought GNR should tour the states,  or take time to get the next album out.  But now that it looks like the states tour is actually happening, I'm very, very psyched for it and can't wait to have their awesome stage show finally making it's way home.  That alone is a lot to be excited about!

That said, in 2006 we saw that it was difficult for Axl to do what needed to be done to get new music out while they were on the road.  Unless they've been working on it and mastering it under the radar during the off-time in 2011, I admit we currently have no reason to believe it will happen this year.

But like jarmo said, any fan should be excited about the prospect of hearing new music from GNR, and I'm always open to surprises.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:19:39 PM by sofine11 » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »

I don't think you'll find a GN'R fan who wouldn't wanna hear more music from the band.

So I think every member here would say "yes".

Would be awesome if something like that happened. If it doesn't, we still have the shows to look forward to and that's definitely not too shabby! Smiley

/jarmo

Agreed.  Although, I was thinking what would be also cool as something of a happy medium would be if they road-tested some new or previously unheard/unreleased material.  That would be awesome.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »

As long as the band does what they believe in the way they think is right.

That's all that matters.

If they can't put out something new, there's a reason for that.

If they don't play anything that's still unreleased, there's a reason for that.

No matter what they choose to do, some "fans" will never be happy. As we all know.

The band played several unreleased tracks during the shows/tours in 2001, 2002, 2006 and 2007. Now, some of those so called fans are holding that against the band. "We already saw this show in 2002. They play the same songs". Silly shit like that.

But as we all are aware, GN'R isn't out to please these silly keyboard warriors. They're not the majority.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »

As long as the band does what they believe in the way they think is right.

That's all that matters.

If they can't put out something new, there's a reason for that.

If they don't play anything that's still unreleased, there's a reason for that.

No matter what they choose to do, some "fans" will never be happy. As we all know.

The band played several unreleased tracks during the shows/tours in 2001, 2002, 2006 and 2007. Now, some of those so called fans are holding that against the band. "We already saw this show in 2002. They play the same songs". Silly shit like that.

But as we all are aware, GN'R isn't out to please these silly keyboard warriors. They're not the majority.

/jarmo

Agreed and there can be a downside to playing new music, it can cool down a hot vibe when the audience don't know new tracks.... You only have to have stood near festival goer's who only remember the AFD and UYI tracks and begin their whining about playing something they know. In their "OWN" show the band will get respect and the fans will listen with interest, but surrounded by a sizable crowd of "casual on-lookers" the mood can go down faster than a hooker on piece-work....

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »

Yeh would be awesome obviously but i try not to think about it or any new songs being played at Rio cos i will only be gutted if not
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »

Think about it, how cool would it be if GNR released, let's say, The General or Soul Monster to radio stations and available for sale on iTunes to promote the upcoming tour?

Since it's unclear as to whether the upcoming shows, particularly the upcoming states tour, are still in support of Chinese Democracy, I think a new single to draw attention to GNR and move them forward musically would do nothing but good for both the band and the fans.  ok

Thoughts?

Thoughts??...........Hell Yeah  beer

In the meantime we will get new music very very soon from Mr. Tommy Stinson Tongue

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »

In regard to new music, it's a strange situation, and one that I'm not really sure how to feel about in regard to my expectations.  

On one hand, it's been known for years that three albums were recorded for an inteneded 'trilogy' during the Chinese Democracy sessions from 1998-2007.  The intent to release another album from the CD Era was echoed by Axl during his chats after CD was released, as well as Ron confirming more recently that there's another two albums more or less ready to go from that era.  

When you think about it, a new album can come as soon as it's mastered, and Axl & the label come to terms. That is, if Axl still wants to put them out as they are.   For all we know, the plan could be to have the current lineup re-record all the songs to reflect their abilities and chemistry as a band...Although that may be somewhat far-fetched, as far as rerecording all the songs goes.

I've always felt that the band's best option was to have the next album go hand in hand with the U.S. tour, but then, I'm sure the powers that be know more than I do in regard to what's actually going to take place.  

The U.S. tour is certainly a blessing, and something I'll be looking forward to regardless of whether new music, performed live or officially released, has anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:35:44 PM by sofine11 » Logged
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »

I don't think there will be new music played, just for the fact that they are touring under Chinese Democracy.  I think the reason we heard new music during the 2006 Tour was because of the leaks... though I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »

I don't think there will be new music played, just for the fact that they are touring under Chinese Democracy.  I think the reason we heard new music during the 2006 Tour was because of the leaks... though I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any mention of Chinese Democracy in the promo for the upcoming tour.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
wight gunner
VIP

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »

I think you are in the main wrong about the timing of leaked songs verses hearing them live, IIRC most (if not all) of what was leaked had been played live.... I may be wrong, but I can't recall a song that was leaked as a studio version before it was heard at some show or other. My caveat is that the squiwel (whatever he called himself) leaks were just before the album dropped and don't count in the context under debate.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any mention of Chinese Democracy in the promo for the upcoming tour.

I've noticed that too.  Although the point of the tour could be to simply bring the liveshow to the states, which they haven't had a chance to do yet with the post-CD lineup.

If they are not, in fact, putting out/playing new music soon, I guess you can call this the "Unfinished Business Tour".  hihi
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »

I think you are in the main wrong about the timing of leaked songs verses hearing them live, IIRC most (if not all) of what was leaked had been played live.... I may be wrong, but I can't recall a song that was leaked as a studio version before it was heard at some show or other. My caveat is that the squiwel (whatever he called himself) leaks were just before the album dropped and don't count in the context under debate.

Catcher, There Was A Time, I.R.S. and Better I think..

Although the former two was either not played or just played a couple times live before the album release.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:22:13 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »

Correct, Hence the 'Downloading Motherfuckers' comment before Better  ok
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »

how about a live ep. from last year with a extra new tune in it or something like that

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
wight gunner
VIP

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »

I salute you, both of you, but was this before 2006?

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »

how about a live ep. from last year with a extra new tune in it or something like that

Anything they decide to release in the future I will certainly check out.  peace

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »

I salute you, both of you, but was this before 2006?

I'm on thin ice here, but if my memory serves me correct it was early 2006.

I.R.S. maybe a little earlier.

Sweetness is a virtue
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: