Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2011 Season
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011 Season  (Read 154742 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #380 on: January 04, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »

Beat reporter believes Jets could pursue Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning in green and white?

The idea of seeing the heart and soul of the Colts dress for anyone else would serve as a jarring departure from life as we've known it since 1998. But it's not as outrageous as it sounds, according to one Jets beat reporter.

Manish Mehta, who covers the Jets for the New York Daily News, believes coach Rex Ryan's uber-appetite for a Super Bowl could lead to a new home for the four-time NFL MVP. That is, if the stars align.

"If Peyton Manning does become a free agent, you know, for argument's sake, (Stanford's Andrew) Luck gets drafted by Indianapolis, and the Colts cut ties with Manning, if he checks out physically -- and I know that's a big if -- but if that is the case, the Jets will make a call to inquire about Peyton Manning," Mehta told Pro Football Talk Live on Tuesday.

For the record, Ryan has denied any interest in Manning. All of this would hinge on the quarterback's successful recovery from his third neck procedure in the last two years and, of course, what Colts owner Jim Irsay plans to do with his star quarterback in the wake of firing vice chairman Bill Polian and general manager Chris Polian. The Colts, of course, also hold the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

"I'm not a betting man, but if you were a betting man, I think the smart money is that -- when you factor in Rex Ryan's affinity for Peyton Manning ... if he's available, one; if he's healthy, two ... the Jets will inquire about him," Mehta said.

"Now, it remains to be seen if a deal can be struck, and, again, we're looking far into the future here because it is a big if; if he's going to get cut for one and be available and, again, who knows about his health. But I think the Jets would really make a legitimate inquiry into Peyton Manning because of Rex Ryan's affinity for him. He thinks he's the best quarterback, when healthy, in the league -- better than Tom Brady, better than Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, all those guys."

For now, it's a theory. Nothing more than the stuff of dreams, but this much is clear: If Peyton-to-the-Jets ever went down, it would represent dark times for anyone quietly longing for a pensive, more reserved Rex Ryan in 2012.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825b3ce9/article/beat-reporter-believes-jets-could-pursue-peyton-manning

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #381 on: January 04, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »

Yeah, just what we need. Another aging QB coming off major surgery. The guy's already 35. He doesn't have long left and with his neck who knows? Sanchez just needs more time to develop. Better receivers and a running game. For a guy who started right out of the gate instead of watching a veteran for a few years first he's doing quite well.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #382 on: January 04, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »

This weekend's games:  Axl4Prez is feelin' it!

Steelers -8 1/2
Texans -3
Lions +10 1/2
Falcons + 3

Spend your winnings wisely!!!   Grin

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #383 on: January 05, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »

Yeah, just what we need. Another aging QB coming off major surgery. The guy's already 35. He doesn't have long left and with his neck who knows? Sanchez just needs more time to develop. Better receivers and a running game. For a guy who started right out of the gate instead of watching a veteran for a few years first he's doing quite well.
I don't know.  I think Sanchez is OK at best.  I don't think he'll ever be an elite QB, and in today's NFL that's kind of important.  Sanchez was pretty bad this year, and hasn't progressed much over his 3 years in the league.  Sure he's still young, but you'd like to see more from him at this point in his career.  Obviously there are some question marks with Manning's health, and he's owed MASSIVE amounts of money.  But I'd gladly throw Sanchez to the scrap heap to take a gamble on Peyton.  I wouldn't think twice about it.  If it doesn't work out, aside from the financials, it won't be hard to find a QB as good as, if not better than Sanchez.  At least that's the way I see it.

With that being said, as a Patriot fan, I hope the Jets stick with Sanchez and stay away from Manning.  I would like that.  Even though Mark led the Jets to a post season victory over the Pats at Gillette last season.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #384 on: January 05, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »

I don't know.  I think Sanchez is OK at best.  I don't think he'll ever be an elite QB, and in today's NFL that's kind of important.  Sanchez was pretty bad this year, and hasn't progressed much over his 3 years in the league.  Sure he's still young, but you'd like to see more from him at this point in his career.  Obviously there are some question marks with Manning's health, and he's owed MASSIVE amounts of money.  But I'd gladly throw Sanchez to the scrap heap to take a gamble on Peyton.  I wouldn't think twice about it.  If it doesn't work out, aside from the financials, it won't be hard to find a QB as good as, if not better than Sanchez.  At least that's the way I see it.

With that being said, as a Patriot fan, I hope the Jets stick with Sanchez and stay away from Manning.  I would like that.  Even though Mark led the Jets to a post season victory over the Pats at Gillette last season.

I think another thing going against Sanchez is he had ONE year starting in college then got thrown right into the fire as a starter in the NFL. Most college QB's get 2-3 or even all 4 years to develop then when they go pro they usually don't start immediately. I think we rushed him to start, maybe Brunell should've been the starter the last 2 or 3 years. Let Sanchez watch and learn from watching him not just learn from talking to him. I think a lot of the reasons he regressed a lot this year is the targets he had. He had almost all new receivers to learn. That's gotta be tough on a young guy still learning. The Jets made a big mistake in letting Cotchery go and keeping Holmes. The running game was total shit. You can't rely on a young guy like that to throw as often as they did. You need a balanced attack and we just didn't have it this year. Cancer Holmes has to go and so does Burress. Holmes totally ripped that team apart and messed up the chemistry the team had. We also lost Leonhard on defense late in the year again. Which hurt our defense bad. We have a lot of problems and a lot to fix and i think too many are pinning it unfairly solely on Sanchez. I also think our O coordinator needs to go as well. I just think its too soon to say he'll never be an elite QB. I mean everyone said that about Eli Manning until he led the Giants to the super bowl win in his fourth year.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #385 on: January 05, 2012, 08:13:11 AM »

Sanchez was pretty bad this year, and hasn't progressed much over his 3 years in the league. 

Let me start by saying...I'm a Giants fan, so I've got no horse in the race.

But Sanchez's numbers weren't NOT "pretty bad" this year.  The guy had 3400+ yards, 26 TD to 18 INT's and and a 78.2 passer rating.  Those are solid/average (if unspectacular) numbers for a QB, this year.  The one thing you'd want to see come up is his completion % (which, I think, has to do with him finding secondary receivers)....and some better decision making.

Is he a franchise type QB, down the road?  I don't know.  Maybe, but I'm leaning toward probably not.   I think, at this point, he's somewhat a victim of the teams success the past 2 years, though.  3 years in the league....and MOST highly drafted QB's are toiling away on bad teams.  They HAVE to do certain things Sanchez hasn't been asked to do (like find secondary receivers on a more consistent basis...because the primary ones are usually locked down).  They get used to being smacked around a little more (something Sanchez got a taste of this year), and learn they have to get rid of the ball quicker, and make faster reads..  Also, not to make excuses (because it was true for everyone this year), but it's not like they had a full, REAL camp/off season this year.

I also think their offensive coordinator/scheme stinks, and doesn't do him any favors.

Next year will be the year that tells the full story, IMHO.  If he puts up numbers like he did this year...he's probably going to be that "type" of guy.  Solid, not spectacular, prone to some boneheaded mistakes at times.  If he improves, he MAY become "the guy", at some point.  We'll see.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #386 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »

Sanchez put those "average" numbers up when 2 QB's topped Marino's yardage record (would've been 3). Cam Newton threw for 4000 yards as a rookie. So I stand by my statement. Sanchez had a "bad" year. Especially down the stretch. He was asked to pass more this year, which isn't the key to success for the Jets. He was effective as a game manager while playing ball control football and letting the defense do their thing.

Bottom line is, I'd take Peyton Manning over him without flinching regardless of age or health concerns.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #387 on: January 05, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »

Sanchez put those "average" numbers up when 2 QB's topped Marino's yardage record (would've been 3). Cam Newton threw for 4000 yards as a rookie. So I stand by my statement. Sanchez had a "bad" year. Especially down the stretch. He was asked to pass more this year, which isn't the key to success for the Jets. He was effective as a game manager while playing ball control football and letting the defense do their thing.

I guess you'd have to define "Bad", and compared to what.  The rest of the league? Average.  Expectations? Maybe.

But those numbers still aren't bad.  They just aren't...by any historic measure.  They're average...take a look. With the exception of Completion % and Yds per attempt...he hovers right around the middle of the league (passers with > 100 attempts).  He wasn't an elite QB (which is what you're talking about when talking about the 2 guys who crushed Marino's yardage record....and Cam looks to be pretty special), that's for sure. But average numbers out of MOST 3rd year QB's (historically) is what you want.  QB rankings put him almost dead in the center of all active starters.  If I were a Jets fan, I wouldn't be ecstatic about it...but I wouldn't be worried, either.  Which, I know, is hard when you look around and see some of these rookies suddenly bursting on the NFL and putting up sick numbers. 

And the kid DID get better, marginally, this year over last. 

The difference is: Expectations.  People expected the Jets, and Sanchez, to take that giant leap forward this year.  They didn't.  Part of that was Sanchez...a good sized piece was Rex Ryan (and his seeming lack of understanding about ANYTHING related to the offensive side of the ball)....another good sized piece was their losses to FA.  It wasn't all Sanchez and his performance out there.  The guy does need to get a LOT better at making reads and finding secondary targets (faster and more accurately).  He's fine when his primary target is open...but that means your O-line, your RBs/TE's, and your receivers have to be PERFECT (or nearly so).  With what they lost vs what they got in the off season....that's a problem for this team.  When your QB was the 5th most sacked QB in the league....that's a problem.

And last....I don't think you can overstate what losing the off season and most of Training camp means.  Sure, it effected everyone..but you're going to notice it a lot less in established players on established teams.  The younger you are, and the less experience you've had, the more those camps matter.

Bottom line is, I'd take Peyton Manning over him without flinching regardless of age or health concerns.

Until Manning proves he can actually PLAY, again (never mind with who)....I wouldn't take him over ANYONE.  Because there's a better than decent chance you're paying him to sit home, at this point.  That's too risky, especially considering the dollars you'd be talking about putting toward the cap.

Irony is a Giants fan "defending" the Jets QB.  Next, dogs and cats will living together, the Staypuff marshmallow man is going to start destroying NYC, and Armegeddon will ensue.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:01:33 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #388 on: January 05, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »

Steelers -8 1/2
Texans -3
Lions +10 1/2
Falcons + 3

So, the locks of the week are:

Broncos +8 1/2
Bengals +3
Saints - 10 1/2
Giants -3

peace
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #389 on: January 05, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »

[

Broncos +8 1/2
Bengals +3
Saints - 10 1/2
Giants -3

peace

You could not pay me enough (well, I guess you could...you could cover the bet) to bet the Giants/Falcons game.

It's a game the Giants SHOULD win.  They have a better QB, they're better coached, and, even banged up, they should have the better defensive unit out there.

In other words, it's exactly the type of game the G-men have lost all year long.....

The one problem for the Giants is this:  They're going to have to drop an extra person in the box to stop the run...and, while their pash rush should be good, I'm not sure their secondary can go one on one vs the Falcons receivers and be effective.  I suspect that, if anything, that's what will kill them.

It'll be a good weekend of football, I think. I'm actually looking forward to the WC games more than any of the potential games for NEXT weekend.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #390 on: January 05, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »

[

Broncos +8 1/2
Bengals +3
Saints - 10 1/2
Giants -3

peace

You could not pay me enough (well, I guess you could...you could cover the bet) to bet the Giants/Falcons game.

It's a game the Giants SHOULD win.  They have a better QB, they're better coached, and, even banged up, they should have the better defensive unit out there.

In other words, it's exactly the type of game the G-men have lost all year long.....

The one problem for the Giants is this:  They're going to have to drop an extra person in the box to stop the run...and, while their pash rush should be good, I'm not sure their secondary can go one on one vs the Falcons receivers and be effective.  I suspect that, if anything, that's what will kill them.

It'll be a good weekend of football, I think. I'm actually looking forward to the WC games more than any of the potential games for NEXT weekend.

Exactly, as crazy as it sounds, I'd feel better about the Giants going against Green Bay than I do Atlanta.  But Axl4Prez picked against them and now any concern I had is gone. 
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #391 on: January 05, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »

[

Broncos +8 1/2
Bengals +3
Saints - 10 1/2
Giants -3

peace

Exactly, as crazy as it sounds, I'd feel better about the Giants going against Green Bay than I do Atlanta.  But Axl4Prez picked against them and now any concern I had is gone. 

Ha!  I still got it.  Smiley

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #392 on: January 06, 2012, 01:11:48 AM »

I guess you'd have to define "Bad", and compared to what.  The rest of the league? Average.  Expectations? Maybe.

But those numbers still aren't bad.  They just aren't...by any historic measure.  They're average...take a look. With the exception of Completion % and Yds per attempt...he hovers right around the middle of the league (passers with > 100 attempts).  He wasn't an elite QB (which is what you're talking about when talking about the 2 guys who crushed Marino's yardage record....and Cam looks to be pretty special), that's for sure. But average numbers out of MOST 3rd year QB's (historically) is what you want.  QB rankings put him almost dead in the center of all active starters.  If I were a Jets fan, I wouldn't be ecstatic about it...but I wouldn't be worried, either.  Which, I know, is hard when you look around and see some of these rookies suddenly bursting on the NFL and putting up sick numbers. 

And the kid DID get better, marginally, this year over last. 

The difference is: Expectations.  People expected the Jets, and Sanchez, to take that giant leap forward this year.  They didn't.  Part of that was Sanchez...a good sized piece was Rex Ryan (and his seeming lack of understanding about ANYTHING related to the offensive side of the ball)....another good sized piece was their losses to FA.  It wasn't all Sanchez and his performance out there.  The guy does need to get a LOT better at making reads and finding secondary targets (faster and more accurately).  He's fine when his primary target is open...but that means your O-line, your RBs/TE's, and your receivers have to be PERFECT (or nearly so).  With what they lost vs what they got in the off season....that's a problem for this team.  When your QB was the 5th most sacked QB in the league....that's a problem.

And last....I don't think you can overstate what losing the off season and most of Training camp means.  Sure, it effected everyone..but you're going to notice it a lot less in established players on established teams.  The younger you are, and the less experience you've had, the more those camps matter.

The only way you can compare the numbers is to the rest of the league THIS year. 

Sanchez had the 23rd best QB rating.  That's not good.

Completion % he was 28th.  Awful

Passing yards he was 15th, which is in the middle of the pack.  However, he finished just ahead of rookie Andy Dalton, and a number of QB's who missed a number of games.  He easily could've been in the 20's.  But I'll be nice and keep him at average.

Yards per attempt he was 27th.  Awful

Passing TD's he was 9th, which admittedly is good.  I have to give him that.

INT's he had the 5th most.  Bad.

He was sacked the 5th most as well, so I'll give him the fact that he got poor protection.  Overall though, it was a BAD season for Sanchez by the numbers.

And yes, by the numbers he did improve slightly over last years statistics.  But it's real hard to compare this years stats to last years stats considering the eye popping offensive numbers that were put up league wide.  So I'd have to say he didn't improve, despite what the numbers say.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #393 on: January 06, 2012, 01:18:30 AM »

[

Broncos +8 1/2
Bengals +3
Saints - 10 1/2
Giants -3

peace

Giants are a tough team to figure out.  They could beat just about any team on any day, or vice versa.  Which can be said of a lot of teams this year I suppose.  They SEEM to be playing well at the right time.  I think the Falcons are a better team than the Jets and Cowboys, who they had to beat the last 2 weeks to make the playoffs.  But I'm not sold on Atlanta either.  Matt Ryan is considerably better at home, in the dome.  So I still like the Giants, though nothing would shock me.  The only team I'd be shocked by, would be a Denver win over Pittsburgh.  I just can't see that happening.  Pitt may win that game 6-3, but I can't see Tebow generating any kind of offense against that defense. 

Actually, I can't see the Lions beating the Saints either.  I saw yesterday that New Orleans is averaging over 40 points at home this season.  That's INSANE!  Lions have a pretty solid defense, but I don't think they're up to that task.  Then again, they just have to outscore the Saints, whose D is nothing to write home about.  Can't see that happening though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:21:01 AM by faldor » Logged

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #394 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:05 AM »

The only way you can compare the numbers is to the rest of the league THIS year. 

Of 47 qualifiers who threw at least 100 passes, right?

Yup, I said that.  He needs to work on completion #.  Even so....given the denominator....

Passing yards he was 15th, which is in the middle of the pack.  However, he finished just ahead of rookie Andy Dalton, and a number of QB's who missed a number of games.  He easily could've been in the 20's.  But I'll be nice and keep him at average.

Of 47 qualifiers with over 100 pass attempts. On a team who's coach (and really the offensive coordinator)  believes the way to win football games is to run the ball.

He was sacked the 5th most as well, so I'll give him the fact that he got poor protection.  Overall though, it was a BAD season for Sanchez by the numbers.

Again, looking at the denominator...that would make him almost dead in the middle of the league, in total.

You gave 6 stats.  In 4 of them, he was just about middle of the league qualifers or better. 

INT's and Pass completion are problems....which I agree with, and pointed out earlier.

And yes, by the numbers he did improve slightly over last years statistics.  But it's real hard to compare this years stats to last years stats considering the eye popping offensive numbers that were put up league wide.  So I'd have to say he didn't improve, despite what the numbers say.

Improving is improving.  Numbers are there for historic comparison (that's sort of the point).  Either they went up, they went down, or they stayed the same.  In this case, you're talking about an individual improving.  I see how "relative to the league" applies to the other part of the discussion..but not this one.

His stats went up.

Looking at Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Eli Manning...Sanchez's numbers compare pretty well with those guys, over THEIR first 3 seasons.

If you stripped his name off of those stats, stripped his team jersey from any association with those stats, and ONLY attached "3rd year QB"....I'm pretty confident MOST folks would look at those, see average, and not worry too much.

But the minute you attach the Jets (just like with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Giants) name to them, and then continue with Sanchez's name (who seems to have become his own lightening rod), expectations start skewing perceptions.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #395 on: January 06, 2012, 06:42:37 AM »

Giants are a tough team to figure out.  They could beat just about any team on any day, or vice versa.  Which can be said of a lot of teams this year I suppose.  They SEEM to be playing well at the right time.  I think the Falcons are a better team than the Jets and Cowboys, who they had to beat the last 2 weeks to make the playoffs.  But I'm not sold on Atlanta either.  Matt Ryan is considerably better at home, in the dome.  So I still like the Giants, though nothing would shock me. 

They piss me off.

Now granted, some of it was injuries to their defense, which seem to be resolving themselves.

There were times {the Pats game) that the Giants looked like (and were playing like) one of the best teams in football.  Now, I certainly didn't expect them to beat GB (I don't expect ANYONE to).  But on the flip side, they LOST games against teams (Redskins x2, Seahawks) and played close games (Miami, Arizona) against teams they should have handled easily.

They SEEMED to play to their competition (New Orleans game not withstanding)...and I HATE that when football teams (or College Basketball teams) do that.  You just can't figure out which team is going to show on Sunday.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #396 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »

Of 47 qualifiers who threw at least 100 passes, right?

Yup, I said that.  He needs to work on completion #.  Even so....given the denominator....

Of 47 qualifiers with over 100 pass attempts. On a team who's coach (and really the offensive coordinator)  believes the way to win football games is to run the ball.

Again, looking at the denominator...that would make him almost dead in the middle of the league, in total.

You gave 6 stats.  In 4 of them, he was just about middle of the league qualifers or better. 

INT's and Pass completion are problems....which I agree with, and pointed out earlier.

Improving is improving.  Numbers are there for historic comparison (that's sort of the point).  Either they went up, they went down, or they stayed the same.  In this case, you're talking about an individual improving.  I see how "relative to the league" applies to the other part of the discussion..but not this one.

His stats went up.

Looking at Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Eli Manning...Sanchez's numbers compare pretty well with those guys, over THEIR first 3 seasons.

If you stripped his name off of those stats, stripped his team jersey from any association with those stats, and ONLY attached "3rd year QB"....I'm pretty confident MOST folks would look at those, see average, and not worry too much.

But the minute you attach the Jets (just like with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Giants) name to them, and then continue with Sanchez's name (who seems to have become his own lightening rod), expectations start skewing perceptions.

i agree with Faldor. he did not have a good season. the problem with stats is that they do not show the whole story. and in the Jets beggest games, the ones they had to win to make the playoffs, Sanchez was at his worst. that fact has to be considered when evaluating a player. December games are like playoffs games and he totally shit the bed against good teams down the stretch.

in addition, one of the most important things for a QB is to protecet the football. turnovers kill your team. and this is especially true on this team which takes a conservative approach offensively. with their focus on the run, and their short and safe passing philosophy, i think the Jets coaching staff would argue that Sanchez' most important responsibility is to protect the football. not only did he have WAY too many interceptions, but he lost 8 fumbles. 26 turnovers for a QB is absolutely atrocious. and alot of those came in december with their playoff lives on the line.

as for his rating, it's tough to compare a full time QB to a QB that only played a handful of games. in recent years, i have thought a rating of 80 is about average. he's right around there, a little below. that does not factor in all those fumbles though.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #397 on: January 06, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »

Steelers -8 1/2
Texans -3
Lions +10 1/2
Falcons + 3

i'm bettin the house!!!

i agree with your first three picks, but i'd probably go with the giants -3. i do think it will be close, but i think the giants pull away in the 4th.  i could also see denver covering (maybe backdoor), but i just can't pick denver over pittsburgh, even with the points.

this had to be the worst (i.e. least interesting) slate of games for round 1 of the playoffs in many years. it's kinda ironic that the two games most people are looking forward to watching are the two with the largest point spreads. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #398 on: January 06, 2012, 11:09:32 AM »

i agree with Faldor. he did not have a good season. the problem with stats is that they do not show the whole story. and in the Jets beggest games, the ones they had to win to make the playoffs, Sanchez was at his worst. that fact has to be considered when evaluating a player. December games are like playoffs games and he totally shit the bed against good teams down the stretch.

I agree...he didn't have a good season.

But he didn't have a bad one, either.

He had a mediocre season with average numbers. 

in addition, one of the most important things for a QB is to protecet the football. turnovers kill your team. and this is especially true on this team which takes a conservative approach offensively. with their focus on the run, and their short and safe passing philosophy, i think the Jets coaching staff would argue that Sanchez' most important responsibility is to protect the football. not only did he have WAY too many interceptions, but he lost 8 fumbles. 26 turnovers for a QB is absolutely atrocious. and alot of those came in december with their playoff lives on the line.

Apply that same metric, about beating good teams in December, to every 3rd year QB, and I'd agree.

But nobody does.  Which is sort of the point.  He's being held to a "veteran QB" standard, and he's not a vet.

INT's were not bad (see comparison to rest of the league).  Fumbles are a problem...but note when those fumbles occurred.  Most (maybe all?) happened when his O line was allowing him to get creamed.

as for his rating, it's tough to compare a full time QB to a QB that only played a handful of games. in recent years, i have thought a rating of 80 is about average. he's right around there, a little below. that does not factor in all those fumbles though.

And there you have it:  The objective numbers tell you he's about average.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #399 on: January 06, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »

i'm bettin the house!!!

i agree with your first three picks, but i'd probably go with the giants -3. i do think it will be close, but i think the giants pull away in the 4th.  i could also see denver covering (maybe backdoor), but i just can't pick denver over pittsburgh, even with the points.

this had to be the worst (i.e. least interesting) slate of games for round 1 of the playoffs in many years. it's kinda ironic that the two games most people are looking forward to watching are the two with the largest point spreads. 

The matchups are funky, which makes them interesting.

For most of the games, I doubt the outcomes are in doubt, late...which might make for boring football, late.

The potential 2nd round matchups are even worse, this  year.  Maybe ONE potential good game.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: