Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 11:16:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2011 Season
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011 Season  (Read 154442 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »

That means either they are that good or the team they played sucked that bad.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2011, 02:36:34 AM »

Holy shit, the pats put up 47 in a pre season game? Are you kidding me.
I wouldn't put too much stock in any pre-season games, stats, outcomes, etc.  ESPECIALLY this year.  Most of the big name players didn't play for either team.  Patriots did look very good though, and I do think they are leaps and bounds a better team than the Jaguars.  I think the GOOD teams will be way ahead of the lesser teams early on, even with the 2nd and 3rd stringers.  That was illustrated tonight.

Bright spots for the Pats, both QB's played extremely well.  Hoyer really looks like a solid backup.  I hope the Patriots won't NEED to use him, but he gives me more confidence the more I see of him.  And Mallet had a nice debut as well.  I just think that will end up being a steal of a draft pick.  Rookie RB, Stevan Ridley ran well, albeit against mostly backups or guys who won't even make the team.  And 2nd year WR, Taylor Price looked real good.  And the defensive line, even though the MAIN guys weren't playing, accounted for 3 sacks.  A good start to the pre-season for sure.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2011, 02:52:59 AM »

Pre-season or not 47 points is impressive. On a side note the third string QB for Dallas was quite impressive. 207 yds 3 TDs and only one iNT.
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »

I think the GOOD teams will be way ahead of the lesser teams early on, even with the 2nd and 3rd stringers. 

Well....  consider that different teams have different philosophies when it comes to pre-season.  Belicheck has demonstrated time and again that he is willing to have his team play hard regardless of circumstances (e.g. Welker injury in meaningless game comes to mind), whereas some teams just use the preseason to evaluate UFA's and "bubble" players (and avoid injuries to key players while they're at it).  Case in point, Indy has a record of 4-22 in preseason games the last few years, and that isn't going to change this preseason regardless of how "good" they actually are.   BUT, look at how many former UFA's (or low round picks) are making significant contributions during the games that actually count.   

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »

I think the GOOD teams will be way ahead of the lesser teams early on, even with the 2nd and 3rd stringers. 

Well....  consider that different teams have different philosophies when it comes to pre-season.  Belicheck has demonstrated time and again that he is willing to have his team play hard regardless of circumstances (e.g. Welker injury in meaningless game comes to mind), whereas some teams just use the preseason to evaluate UFA's and "bubble" players (and avoid injuries to key players while they're at it).  Case in point, Indy has a record of 4-22 in preseason games the last few years, and that isn't going to change this preseason regardless of how "good" they actually are.   BUT, look at how many former UFA's (or low round picks) are making significant contributions during the games that actually count.   
I'm not really talking about the pre-season games.  I'm saying when the regular season gets under way, the "good" teams will be far ahead of the "lesser" teams.  I don't think you'll see as many upsets as you normally would early on in the season.

And for the record, the Patriots didn't go "all out" in the game the other night.  Barely any starters played in the game.  Obviously there was no Brady, the top WR that played for them is fighting for the 4th spot on the depth chart.  Their top RB, was a rookie 3rd round pick.  So it's not like Belichick sent out his "A" squad to beat up on the Jags backups.  Far from the case.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »

Bright spots for the Pats, both QB's played extremely well.  Hoyer really looks like a solid backup.  I hope the Patriots won't NEED to use him, but he gives me more confidence the more I see of him.  And Mallet had a nice debut as well.  I just think that will end up being a steal of a draft pick.

I always caution that you should not get too excited about quarterback play in the preseason. Sure Mallet and Hoyer played well and its encouraging but it doesn't mean they will play good or bad in a real game. Perfect example of that is Matt Cassel. Who probably had one of the worst preseasons ever in 2008 and nobody outside gillette thought he was gonna be on the team at the start of the season. Everybody thought he was gone and he came in after brady went down and played well enough. So lets not start calling Mallet good, who has been struggling mightily with accuracy issues at camp, but this game performance is encouraging.

I was also encouraged by Taylor Price's showing, who's probably looking at the 4th or 5th wr spot if he makes the team. He showed alot of ability but im sure him being out of practice to a undisclosed injury since that game doesn't help his case. Stephen Ridley looks nice but it was his first preseason game and im waiting for the regular season to judge but it is encouraging.

With 3 recievers being out of practice, pats look to be updating their emergency list by bringing in TJ Houzyourmomma. I don't expect them to sign him unless injuries are more serious.

They also brought in/will bring in saftey Darren Sharper. Their lookin for safety help. I could see that signing if price is right.

Like the eagles trade for Steve Smith but its a bit of risk. I think a necessary one with Maclin's situation.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
SpecialAgentCooper
Rocker

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2011, 04:28:08 AM »

I really think McCoy is coming into his own...he plays for an ugly team yet still manages to shine! I thought the guy was the 2nd best QB in last years draft. I guess time will tell.

Coop

2012 is like Christmas!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »

Didn't Detroit like do really well in the Preseason they went 0-16 or am i thinking about someone else?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2011, 03:43:49 AM »

Didn't Detroit like do really well in the Preseason they went 0-16 or am i thinking about someone else?

Seems like I remember them going 4-0 in the preseason one year. Not sure if it was the 0-16 season.

Here Today . . .
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »

Yeah it was the same year. I think they lost 3 in a row the following season. they lost 19 in a row. still not as bad as the tampa bay bucs, they lost 25 or 26 in a row back in the 70's  lol

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:27 PM »

i hear media people overreacting to Vick's terrible performance against pittsburgh

Vick couldn't run cause he didn't want to risk injury.. so he stayed in the pocket when he'd normally run.. so he threw a couple bad passes on plays he normally wouldve ran.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2011, 11:36:46 PM »

Tough loss for the Giants tonight. Starting CB Terrell Thomas out for the season torn ACL. They also lost WItherspoon and Austin for the season in the same game. Ouch.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:34:13 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »

Alright Timothy...I snagged your Jets Defense in my big fantasy league. 
Are they going to outperform their 2010 level?   nervous

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »

Tough question. We've lost a few players on D. We have rookie Wilkerson at DT. He's supposed to be really good and hopefully he can help us with pressuring the QB. I'm not sure how much we can expect from him as a rookie. From what i hear pats fans were really hoping they'd take him. So that makes me hopeful since they seem to be so good at picking good ones. They looked good against the bengals but i'm not sure how much you can take away from a preseason game.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:25:14 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »

Tough question. We've lost a few players on D. We have rookie Wilkerson at DT. He's supposed to be really good and hopefully he can help us with pressuring the QB. I'm not sure how much we can expect from him as a rookie. From what i hear pats fans were really hoping they'd take him. So that makes me hopeful since they seem to be so good at picking good ones. They looked good against the bengals but i'm not sure how much you can take away from a preseason game.

Yeah, the Steelers and Packers are the obvious tops at D...I still think the Jets should be Top 5.
It was an auction, and surprisingly the Pats D went for $12, and the Jets went for $11.
Steelers $21, Packers $17.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »

Yeah, the Steelers and Packers are the obvious tops at D...I still think the Jets should be Top 5.
It was an auction, and surprisingly the Pats D went for $12, and the Jets went for $11.

Yeah, i still expect that D to be good. Just not too sure how good with the few losses we had to free agency. We got younger through the draft on D and those picks will be expected to make an impact immediately, most notably WIlkerson.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

Yeah, i still expect that D to be good. Just not too sure how good with the few losses we had to free agency. We got younger through the draft on D and those picks will be expected to make an impact immediately, most notably WIlkerson.

If anything, I'll have 4 games to feast on buffalo and dolphin.  Smiley

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »

If anything, I'll have 4 games to feast on buffalo and dolphin.  Smiley

Good point  hihi
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »

We need one more guy to sign up for fantasy football to even things out with www.gnrevolution.com, who's it gonna be?  Timothy?  Coop?  Beuller?  Who wants in?  I was thinking of moving the draft up to Tuesday, but we need another participant to conduct a draft.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »

We need one more guy to sign up for fantasy football to even things out with www.gnrevolution.com, who's it gonna be?  Timothy?  Coop?  Beuller?  Who wants in?  I was thinking of moving the draft up to Tuesday, but we need another participant to conduct a draft.
sorry for the delay.
I'm ready to reclaim my '07 glory.  Smiley
 beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40 Go Up Print