Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 09:48:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ Ashba: Axl Has 'Three Albums Up His Sleeve'; Two Part Audio Interview
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ Ashba: Axl Has 'Three Albums Up His Sleeve'; Two Part Audio Interview  (Read 22212 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »

I'd also like to add that I also said 'hopefully enough songs that are ready to go for another album'. Not 'three albums worth of songs that are ready to go'.

And yes, sorry my clock is ticking for another album. It started right after cd was released! what's wrong with being excited?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not losing sleep over it. music aint that important in the grand scheme of things, but sometimes it just feels that there's a load of talent but this isn't matched by output. Dj can talk about all this amazing shit out there, but that doesn't mean anything until we get to hear it. But like I said I believe there is a lot finished or nearly finished.

Anyway, back to my question, why not release some of the songs as singles? Ok, maybe the commercial model doesn't stack up in the traditional sense but times have moved on, the money is in the touring. Get some stuff out there, keep touring and creating as a new band. Mix old cd songs with new. include a guest artist from time to time. To compare it to the industry I work in, large software releases with long development cycles is the old model, 'agile' is the new way.

No problem with any of that.  And YOU "getting it" is great.

The issue arises when people read these threads and start "interpreting" rather than just reading.  Then, in 6 months, they start bitching because "Axl had 3 albums finished...WTF?  Where are they??) OR "DJ lied!  HE said that Axl was sitting on 3 albums!".

Just so long as we qualify and keep everything in context...it's all good.

As for just releasing singles....you'd have to ask them.  I would guess the label would object...which would put a stone cold halt on the idea...because they wouldn't make the same revenue as they would from an album.  It's also tough to get a label to help promote that stuff, and the distribution model for sales is lousy.  In other words...the biz guys wouldn't see money in it.

Which sucks to hear when you're a fan.......but there it is.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:27:41 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »

Well, right or wrong, i think  u have to be a bit sensitive with a fanbase that waited over 17 years for a new studio album. So u gotta be careful how u word and say stuff.  We have proven what a loyal and great fanbase we are.. just don't tease us or lead us on.

having an overzealous rabid fanbase is a great thing.. if no one cared, THATS when you would have problems. People bitching shows passion. not always a negative.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »

Of course it's great that people care about GN'R.

But there's something (to quote Limulus), "weird" about a select few who always bitch.

What's so great about that kind of "passion"?

Makes you wonder if that kind of people are doing it as an act, just to get noticed or if they really are that unhappy with everything.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »

yes, i sill do rate some of the choosen word combinations in this DJ interview some "weird". its not handled too professional in my book.
always bitching, eh....that wasnt biching at all. also you wont see me "bitching" f.e. when they do some serious setlist change, offer live FLACs or so.....in fact i might be jumping around  Wink
but i do wonder the other extreme with people like Jarmo who are always defending everything and anything the band does, there is always everything right in his GN'R world, whats so great with that kind of "passion"?

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »

Oh, you felt targeted. I wasn't even talking about you.

Funny that.

but i do wonder the other extreme with people like Jarmo who are always defending everything and anything the band does, there is always everything right in his GN'R world, whats so great with that kind of "passion"?

What's great?

I don't know, maybe it's not a good thing to be supportive, trying to stay positive and try to understand that things aren't always what they seem.

It's far easier to make up some kind of fantasies about the band offering FLAC downloads and bitching about setlists...  Smiley

Oh yeah, I don't whine about setlists because I like seeing GN'R live. Period.

It's an amazing experience no matter what they play.

When the intro starts, I'm excited, just like most people in the audience that particular night. How about you?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »

oh, you also felt targeted, funny aswell.

kind of fantasies, haha....even more funny - as if its impossible to do with FLACs and various setlists, sure! bands like Metallica or Pearl Jam must be pure fantasy bands then, thanks for clearing that up.

when i've attended multiple shows in 2006 i wasnt THAT excited anymore the 2nd night and the ones after - based on the stable setlists. this is surely my fault, yeah? in the end it just comes down to different tastes of live quality in music art/business.

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »

oh, you also felt targeted, funny aswell.

Wow. Why would anybody feel that way when they read something like:

but i do wonder the other extreme with people like Jarmo

It doesn't work when you do it that way. You can't say my name and wonder why I feel like that part of your post was aimed at me.

Sure, you can act dumb and claim you were talking about somebody else who posts here who has the same user name. But that doesn't really make sense.

Better luck next time.

kind of fantasies, haha....even more funny - as if its impossible to do with FLACs and various setlists, sure! bands like Metallica or Pearl Jam must be pure fantasy bands then, thanks for clearing that up.

What a nice answer. "They are doing it, so why isn't GN'R".

Because they're not GN'R!

Maybe you could list a bunch of bands that are not offering FLAC downloads of their shows? Of course you could. But you choose not to. Wonder why they're not doing it because Metallica is?

The fantasy remark is that it' something you made up in your mind. It's your dream.

You made it up, and you'll bitch until your dream comes true.

when i've attended multiple shows in 2006 i wasnt THAT excited anymore the 2nd night and the ones after - based on the stable setlists. this is surely my fault, yeah? in the end it just comes down to different tastes of live quality in music art/business.

That's too bad.

Imagine all those who only attend one show.

Tell them about "stable set lists" and they'll laugh in your face because they just witnessed something amazing.

/jarmo

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »

- eh, you named me first, re-read it, you started the name calling. i re-quote yourself in that "You can't say my name and wonder why I feel like that part of your post was aimed at me." thats what made me replying (and then you doing it + twisting it again).
- no, the basic argument wasnt your version "They are doing it, so why isn't GN'R". it was just a reply on your "It's far easier to make up some kind of fantasies about the band offering FLAC downloads"......because its just not fantasy, Jarmo, it happens in real world, even with bigger bands like GN'R.
- off course, every 1-show attender loves everything, sure sure  Wink
i simply made different experience in that, talking to 1-show and multiple-show attenders and also people who drop shows (partly) because of stable setlists.

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »

I mentioned your name because I said something was weird. I used that word, just like you did. That's the only reason why.

- no, the basic argument wasnt your version "They are doing it, so why isn't GN'R". it was just a reply on your "It's far easier to make up some kind of fantasies about the band offering FLAC downloads"......because its just not fantasy, Jarmo, it happens in real world, even with bigger bands like GN'R.

It's still your dream.

It doesn't necessarily got anything to do with the band's wishes.

You have to realize that you're being "upset" because of something you wish the band would do for you.

It's like if I expect you to be able to run 100m in less than 10 seconds. Others are doing it, why can't you?

And then reply "it's not a fantasy, it's real".

Bands are different.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:42:10 PM by jarmo » Logged

The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »

I'm confused, but this bitching around doesn't seem to do with the topic of this thread or does it?  Tongue

I'm quite excited about the stuff DJ has said...I just hope it really will not take so long again to release new album(s), as he also 'promised' in a sort of way  peace

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »

- it was about the name calling - which you started first, end of talking in this.

- not dreaming from live FLACs or unpredictable setlists, but it would be very cool steps in my book, sure! exspecially with the setlists it'd be more of a win-win situation for everyone (band and fans). Live Flacs....as they record every show on video/audio anyway its at least technically VERY easy to do, and other big bands can handle it in practice aswell, so its not impossible to do or fantasy, whatever. but you might be right that its probably not wanted by Axl at all for now.

- no human is running under 9sec/100m yet, thats real fantasy from you  hihi

back to topic:
so what ya think will be the time frame we will be able to officially hear new studio songs?

Re-Union time, baby!!
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »

back to topic:
so what ya think will be the time frame we will be able to officially hear new studio songs?

Ooooh yes please ! New music.... I wanna hear it...or even hear about !

peace
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »

- it was about the name calling - which you started first, end of talking in this.

There was no fucking name calling from me. You're being silly, that's all.

I used the same word you do for something I didn't agree with.

Hence "to quote Limulus".

That's not name calling.

To quote Mr Miyagi "after after".

No idea.

Some seem to think the upcoming tour is some kind of guarantee of new material being released. I don't agree with that.

The band hasn't said so. That's just peoples' own theories.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:45:28 PM by jarmo » Logged

kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »

Its dificult to find real news when a topic has 1 half of news and 4 or 5 pages of fights.Came on! enjoy this time,we have been in coma for years,and now we have the band touring and touring again,with new material,old songs being played like has to be.ENJOY MOTHERFUCKERS,we never knew when is going to be the last time.Remeber DIO.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »

I am enjoying everything.

That's the whole point.

I enjoy what we have instead of whining about what we don't have.

I was already asked about what's so great about it....  hihi

Personally I think it's more fun to focus on the real positives of the present, than on the possible maybes of the future...

/jarmo

Z?phyr
VIP

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:58 PM »

I attended 3 shows in 4 day's last year and even if the set-lists were pretty close to each other every GN'R gig is a unique experience !
Hell that's the main reason I would love to see the RIO gig, just for the experience and interaction between band and crowd, even if they would play Xmas songs only ;-)

Cheers

"It Ain't Rocket Science"
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »

I attended 3 shows in 4 day's last year and even if the set-lists were pretty close to each other every GN'R gig is a unique experience !
Hell that's the main reason I would love to see the RIO gig, just for the experience and interaction between band and crowd, even if they would play Xmas songs only ;-)

Cheers
Exactly, I guess it's different strokes for different folks.  I've only gotten to see GNR twice, once in 2002 and again in 2006.  I'm still waiting patiently, along with many other US fans, for an opportunity to see the current lineup in person. 

Just for comparison, I've seen Def Leppard like 7 times the last 5 years and they've basically played the same setlist each time.  But I've never come home feeling cheated or anything, in fact it's much the opposite.  And I'm going to see them again next weekend and I expect the setlist to be basically the same again.  And I'll love it, AGAIN!

Would I rather here some different songs?  Sure.  Same with GNR of course.  I'd love to draw up my own setlist and give it to them before the show and have them personalize it for me, but that ain't happening.  So I'll take what I can get.  I'm with Jarmo on the, "enjoy what you have instead of bitching about what you don't" mantra.  Seems simple to me.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2011, 04:28:03 AM »

I have the same feeling about IRON MAIDEN, I have seen them 10 times,but you know what? now that i see them,that they are going to retire in a few years ( one or two more tours),i wish i could have seen them more times, i wish a had gone to see them at Donnington,or in the Fear of the dark tour,and so,and so. And now im going to see them in July ok
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »

I have the same feeling about IRON MAIDEN, I have seen them 10 times,but you know what? now that i see them,that they are going to retire in a few years ( one or two more tours),i wish i could have seen them more times, i wish a had gone to see them at Donnington,or in the Fear of the dark tour,and so,and so. And now im going to see them in July ok
Yeah, that's the thing too.  It's not like GNR tours every year in YOUR city.  Even if they did I still would go see them every time, but I could MAYBE see getting "sick" of seeing the same show.  So while I'd argue it's not the same show, even if the setlist is comparable, every show is different.  Who knows how many more times you'll get to see GNR play live.  If you want to skip out on your chance to see them because "you've seen that show before", that's certainly an option.  Not one I'd choose though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »

Not many bad songs in the GNR catalogue, so tough to find fault with the setlists. And if they play a song that's not a zinger in your book, it's a good opportunity to make a beer run.

I'd love to hear some rarities or see them mix it up from show to show, but no worries if they don't.
I saw Social Distortion for the millionth time, 2 nights in a row last time they played Boston. The set was pretty much the same, but sounded good.
The only thing that made me cringe a little was that Ness was making the same horrible jokes the second night as he did the first.
Gotta switch up the material on back to backs in the same city!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: