Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 10:01:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ Ashba: Axl Has 'Three Albums Up His Sleeve'; Two Part Audio Interview
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ Ashba: Axl Has 'Three Albums Up His Sleeve'; Two Part Audio Interview  (Read 22215 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: June 17, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »

DJ ASHBA of SIXX:A.M. and GUNS N? ROSES On Beauty and Social Erosion

June 17, 2011

As a young kid growing up, I think most of us at one time or another had moments where people treated us poorly, or laughed at our dreams, and we couldn?t wait to show them just how wrong they were.  Especially those of us who had ambitions of doing jobs that would make us famous.  That desire to make those naysayers eat their words helped drive our ambitions. DJ Ashba has been down that familiar road, as a teen growing up in the small town of Fairbury, Illinois. Like so many creative teens, Ashba was something of an outcast in the small community, so it?s somewhat rewarding and surreal when he returns home to find that he?s now a hometown celebrity with his guitar picks sold in the local store.

At 38-years-old, the Sixx:A.M. and Guns ?N Roses guitarist has certainly had the last laugh over the doubters and bullies we ?d all like to knock down to size. The small town boy who was initially inspired to make music his life?s work after seeing a M?tley Cr?e concert, has now not only co-written one of their albums (Saints of Los Angeles), but is in another dynamic band with M?tley bassist, Nikki Sixx. Then there is the blasphemous but obvious fact that were Cr?e elder statesman Mick Mars ever to hang up touring with the band, Ashba would be his obvious successor.

If all that isn?t reason enough to hire a full time assistant just to pinch the man on an hourly basis, Ashba is also the guitarist for legendary rockers, Guns N? Roses, who are currently gearing up for more tour dates and another album.

Ashba has also handled production duties for artists as varied as Drowning Pool, Marion Raven and Neil Diamond.

This is all a far leap from his debut band, the highly underappreciated Beautiful Creatures, whom he left in 2002, and his stint with BulletBoys prior to that.
This month he, Sixx and vocalist/producer James Michael released the second album from their ?creative outlet? project, Sixx:A.M. The follow up to their 2007 debut, The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack, This Is Gonna Hurt finds the band opening up deeper visionary veins than ever. On the new album, Ashba and Co. have stretched well beyond the confines of their first album.

Outside of his musical ?day job?, Ashba is also extremely busy with his Ashba Media empire and various other entreprenureal ventures, including AshbaSwag.com which is a full clothing line of rockstar wear for adults and now kids. He also has an extreme passion for art and all things artistic, and is about to shop an animated movie script that he wrote, with full character graphics by his team at Ashba Media. DJ calls it a ?twisted love story,? and he will also score all the music for it.

This week I had an opportunity to speak with the creative madman about the new Sixx:A.M. album and how it differs from the band?s debut release. We talked about his creative efforts within Guns N? Roses, and the misunderstood musical vision of Axl Rose, as well as what?s currently striking a nerve with him personally. And we touched on the Ted Nugent tribute record he once recorded with late friend, Randy Castillo (Ozzy Osbourne, M?tley Cr?e), and the end of the world.

Two part audio interview here: http://metalholic.co/dj-ashba-of-sixxa-m-and-guns-n%E2%80%99-roses-on-beauty-and-social-erosion/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »

Dj sets the interviewer straight when he asks about GN'R's songwriting. The interviewer asks how Dj feels about the fact that Axl writes all the songs, Dj says it's not true and that Axl is open to writing with the band.

Then he says Axl and the band wrote Chinese Democracy together. It wasn't just Axl with no input from the rest of the band.

Dj also says Axl has a lot of amazing stuff that he heard Axl play on piano. He's really hoping that the world gets to hear the stuff one day, and he can't wait to work on some of the stuff with Axl.

Dj says the band is awesome, great musicians.

Then says he's been writing songs all the time, and sending things to Axl.

"He's the real deal, he's a true artist" - Dj about Axl

Dj says Chinese Democracy didn't take that long to make, they have more stuff that they worked on during the same time. It wasn't just that one album they worked on. Which we all here know, but most others seem to ignore.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »

In all due respect jarmo, don't you think you should see if users choose to post in the thread before starting your "everyone's out ta get DJ" routine. I don't post in these DJ threads, because of reasons I'm sure everyone is aware of (and no, it has nothing to do with Robin).  Cheesy

If people are choosing to ignore these kinds of threads, I think that nothing else needs to be said. You stating again and again the positives in the interview, is not going to stop people from getting fustrated at all of the "promising signs" yet again, when they fully know the history of GN'R and albums.  Roll Eyes

Not going to start a whole debate here, just saying what alot of people are no doubt thinking....
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »

In all due respect jarmo, don't you think you should see if users choose to post in the thread before starting your "everyone's out ta get DJ" routine.

What the fuck are you talking about now?

I posted a recap of the GN'R talk in that interview and commented on the fact that Dj said GN'R worked on more than one album. We all know that. The general public doesn't.

What's your problem with that?

I can't post a recap of the interview because it will upset you?

Are you upset because Dj has been writing songs and submitting them to Axl?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:03:28 PM »

I must say, those things he said about Axl, how he described the material... WOW!

I can't wait for the next record!

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Street of the Blues
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »

Jarmo, I for one appreciate you providing a summary of the main points of the interview.

Some people (myself) don't have time to listen to a whole interview, and just scan these forums for relevant news.

Thanks.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »

Yeah, thanks Jarmo for the recap.  I don't have time to listen either. 

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »

Some more of what he says in the interview...

On whether Axl Rose is receptive to songwriting ideas from the rest of the current lineup of GUNS N' ROSES:

Ashba: "Axl definitely is open to writing with the band. I know [former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist] Robin Finck helped him write 'Better' [from 'Chinese Democracy'], the single that was out. I know a lot of the guys had a lot of input on the album. He's always been really open. I've worked with a lot of talented people, but this guy, I'm telling you, he has songs up his sleeve that I've sat down at the piano with him, and literally, my jaw hits the piano bench. He has a lot of songs up his sleeve. Obviously, I'm in the band, and I have no reason to kiss his ass, I'm just kind of putting it out as it is. The guy is just fucking incredible. The songs that he has that no one's heard? I pray to God one day people get to hear what he has up his sleeve, because me being a fan for one, but the shit is just awesome. And I can't wait to get in and work on some stuff with him. And I know he's really excited to get in a room, too, so I think us together, we're gonna do a lot of damage. And this band he's put together is just incredible musicians ? I mean, top-notch players. He definitely put together an amazing band and he has, like, three albums' worth of shit up his sleeve that's just gonna floor people. I'm really excited about it. And I've been writing around the clock, constantly sending him songs, too. So it's good; it's really good."

On when fans can expect to hear a new GUNS N' ROSES album:

Ashba: "Well, it won't be 15 years, I promise you. [Laughs] The thing about Axl, and what I do respect about him, he doesn't give a fuck about, like, if a label person is trying to hurry him for a record. The one thing is, he is the real deal, he is a true artist ? he will not release a record until he knows in his heart it's ready. And that's exactly how we are with SIXX: A.M. ? we won't turn a record in? It doesn't matter if it takes five years. And it doesn't really matter to us if it doesn't sell a record, because when you're doing something from a very true place and you're being true to yourself, none of that matters, really. At the end of the day, you just wanna leave a song here that you're gonna be proud of long after you're gone. So if you go into that mindframe and not, 'OK, this sounds like a hit.' Or 'We've gotta change this to sound more like this band because they're doing really good.' It's not real. So the one thing, whether you like 'Chinese' or hate it, it's real. And it definitely is a very brilliant artistic record. I think it's an amazing record. Will the next one take as long? No. I mean, what people don't realize is 'Chinese' didn't take 15 years. He literally has, like, four albums' worth of? I mean, he has tons and tons of songs. So whenever he feels like, OK, this is what he wants to release next? It's his call, it's his vision, so I'm just here to do whatever I can to bring that vision to life for him, or with him."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159585

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »

In all due respect jarmo, don't you think you should see if users choose to post in the thread before starting your "everyone's out ta get DJ" routine. I don't post in these DJ threads, because of reasons I'm sure everyone is aware of (and no, it has nothing to do with Robin).  Cheesy

If people are choosing to ignore these kinds of threads, I think that nothing else needs to be said. You stating again and again the positives in the interview, is not going to stop people from getting fustrated at all of the "promising signs" yet again, when they fully know the history of GN'R and albums.  Roll Eyes

Not going to start a whole debate here, just saying what alot of people are no doubt thinking....

Seriously, what the fuck ARE you talking about? That was clearly just a recap of what DJ said in relation to GN'R.

Ali
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 10:32:42 PM »

On whether Axl Rose is receptive to songwriting ideas from the rest of the current lineup of GUNS N' ROSES

Asking more ridiculous

rofl hihi rofl

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »

Thanks for posting that transcription.  ok

Let's hope it doesn't offend a certain poster.

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »

Weird........ i have no idea what one in a million is talking about....

Anyone surprised Axl works with his bandmates?

Thats one part that never really added up when people would talk about axl being difficult to work with etc..

I don't know very many frontmen that will do material written by bandmates AND let them sing it on albums..

I'm sure Axl hears things a certain way in his head and makes suggestions like a book editor would do but Axl is comfortable enough in his talent to allow others to bring their own stuff to the table.

To be critical though, cause thats what I do... Didn't Axl dismiss the 3 albums worth of material thing on some interview.... can't remember if it was the billboard one or the fan chats... when he said how Sebastian didn't hear as much as he thought or something???
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:47:18 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »

Fan: Axl do you really have 2 or 3 other albums of material?

Axl: For now we'll concentrate and keep our focus on this album but I will say I've always thought of it as a double.

And no offence but no one's trying to talk in parables. The issues are a bit more complex than anyone would like.

How many other songs were completed and considered for "Chinese Democracy"? There are rumors that there are two full albums done.

We'd like to get another album out at some point, but for now our focus is on "Chinese."
The Billboard Q&A: Axl Rose

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [Sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

http://www.spinner.com/2009/02/27/axl-rose-insists-original-guns-n-roses-lineup-is-dead-and-burie/

there we go. the Del James interview

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 12:22:42 AM »

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [Sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

http://www.spinner.com/2009/02/27/axl-rose-insists-original-guns-n-roses-lineup-is-dead-and-burie/

there we go. the Del James interview
Yeah, but Axl could've just been trying to temper expectations.  There've been numerous people who've said there was 3-4 albums worth of material.  Bach was on The Jason Ellis show before CD came out and said that Axl asked him to stop saying that he had 3-4 albums ready to be released and that they were just focusing on the ONE album.  I think it's quite possible that Axl has come up with 40 songs or so over the last 15+ years.  Of course that doesn't mean we'll get to hear them all.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 12:49:44 PM »

depends on the lenghts of the albums, if its like 30min albums it might be 4.....but it'd be only 2 with each 60min  Wink

the "asskissing"-quote is some weird though, DJ is a hired gun in the end.

Re-Union time, baby!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 01:19:29 PM »

Im def interested how the next album will come about. will DJ and Ron re record parts already laid down etc.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 01:43:55 PM »

depends on the lenghts of the albums, if its like 30min albums it might be 4.....but it'd be only 2 with each 60min  Wink

So funny!

the "asskissing"-quote is some weird though, DJ is a hired gun in the end.

It's not weird at all.

He doesn't need to kiss ass, he was a successful musician even before joining GN'R.

All that "hired gun" shit is irrelevant. They're a band, just like any other band.

The difference is that this band didn't form in high school or in somebody's garage. They're still a real band.

/jarmo

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »

i disagree, most people never heard his name before, Axl opened him the door for actual "getting" really successful, a huge career pusher! and yes, a hired gun is on Axl's paycheck, isnt on the same level like Axl, doesnt have band name rights or the final say....thats all on Axl's shoulders and this differs from many other "bands".
"my jaw hits the piano bench", "The guy is just fucking incredible", "I pray to God one day people get to hear what he has up his sleeve [...]the shit is just awesome", "I think it's an amazing record." etc. etc.  this interview is just full of too much positive stuff that it at least justifies the term "weird" i've used when he says he doesnt need to kiss ass but then kinda does it a lot.
anyway more of a real downie of the interview might be this one for me "I can't wait to get in and work on some stuff with him." - so they didnt really work together yet, he just sends him (part of) songs?

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »

i disagree, most people never heard his name before,

You can't be successful without being a celebrity?

Axl opened him the door for actual "getting" really successful, a huge career pusher! and yes, a hired gun is on Axl's paycheck, isnt on the same level like Axl, doesnt have band name rights or the final say....thats all on Axl's shoulders and this differs from many other "bands".

Please.

Most bands have a leader. It's nothing weird.

In GN'R's case, Axl's been there since day one.

You're just being silly for the sake of putting the band down.

"my jaw hits the piano bench", "The guy is just fucking incredible", "I pray to God one day people get to hear what he has up his sleeve [...]the shit is just awesome", "I think it's an amazing record." etc. etc.  this interview is just full of too much positive stuff that it at least justifies the term "weird" i've used when he says he doesnt need to kiss ass but then kinda does it a lot.

Ok, we get it. Somebody who's excited and amazed about music seems "weird" to you.

/jarmo

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: