Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 12:25:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're working on new songs for Guns n' Roses everyday" - DJ Ashba
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're working on new songs for Guns n' Roses everyday" - DJ Ashba  (Read 19569 times)
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 07:42:11 AM »

that's good news. all the pressure dropped with CD, it will be probably easier to do this one, at every level.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »

It was a little joke...  Embarrassed

Being optimistic about the future can't be a bad thing... That's the vibe I get from what Dj said. Optimism.

/jarmo

Yeah given history one should probably remain optimistic and quietly reserved.  This news calls for personal restraint.

I don't have that when it comes to this band.

FUCK YEAH!  Work your ass off DJ.  I'm excited.  Grin

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 08:41:59 AM »

Being optimistic about the future can't be a bad thing... That's the vibe I get from what Dj said. Optimism.

/jarmo

Yeah given history one should probably remain optimistic and quietly reserved.  This news calls for personal restraint.

I don't have that when it comes to this band.

FUCK YEAH!  Work your ass off DJ.  I'm excited.  Grin

It is hard. lol

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »

optimistically: "soon" is the word  Smiley

but realistically..... Undecided

Re-Union time, baby!!
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »

They don't have to all be in the same room to work on new music anyway. They could all be in their own houses and then send bits and pieces of songs to each other so everyone can add something to it.
Gezzy
Headliner

Don't Damn Me

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »

They don't have to all be in the same room to work on new music anyway. They could all be in their own houses and then send bits and pieces of songs to each other so everyone can add something to it.

Exactly this.

As regards to Dj's statements, you should always take them with a pinch of salt, like with any artist statement and don't take it as gospel and so literal. I believe we'll see the record mid 2012.

Velvet Revolver
23/01/2005
05/06/2007
Guns N' Roses
17/10/10
26/05/12
Thin Lizzy w/ Richard Fortus
02/06/11
Duff McKagan's Loaded
05/11/11
Slash
06/06/12
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »

Who knows whats going on, but the possibility of them working on a follow up to "Chinese Democracy" shouldn't be THAT far fetched.  After all CD didn't come out yesterday, its been 3 years.  This is around the time most bands are putting out follow ups to previous records, yes I know GNR are not most bands, but to completley dismiss the idea of a follow up being worked on doesn't make much sense.  Also in today's world the band doesn't even to need to be in the same country with each other to be recording and working on an album.
Gezzy
Headliner

Don't Damn Me

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »

Regards to the media jumping on what DJ says and jumping to conclusions:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/guns_n_roses_writing_every_day.html

Velvet Revolver
23/01/2005
05/06/2007
Guns N' Roses
17/10/10
26/05/12
Thin Lizzy w/ Richard Fortus
02/06/11
Duff McKagan's Loaded
05/11/11
Slash
06/06/12
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »

/jarmo

Its nice to hear! Even if we know that GNR probably is working on new material now and then, its nice to here him say it without being asked about it!
Cool!

I dont see why people need to overanalyze everything a bandmember says.. but i guess thats just how some people like it.

Hope they will try out some new material in Rio =)

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/guns_n_roses_writing_every_day.html

Prime example of why I wanted everyone to take this with a pinch of salt, because now media outlets are going to report that GN'R are working on material everyday. When we clearly know that it's unlikely that that's the case, even if they are tossing a few ideas around here and there.  Smiley

I wasn't dismissing the statement DJ said, I was just talking on the side of common sense. For example we as GN'R hardcore fans know that maybe DJ used the word everyday abit loosley, but what about the casual music fan who comes across this story on the above link (ultimate guitar), they are going to think "Jesus, GN'R are working on new songs everyday, a new album must be imminent".

So that's the only reason why I felt like I had to remind people to use common sense before getting really excited about the comment. And that the media likes to take an interview like this, and word it differently to misleed people all the time, as Ultimate Guitar has done here. Tongue

Because if you just read that headline from Ultimate Guitar, you would automatically think that GN'R are all locked up in a studio writing everyday, but we know that isn't the exact case.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:17:24 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »

Again, I don't think anythings being "written" persay, but wouldn't be surprised if DJ & Axl are working together putting final touches on the next album.  This puts DJs "We're working on new songs everyday." comment into context.  He never said they were writing anything.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »

Prime example of why I wanted everyone to take this with a pinch of salt, because now media outlets are going to report that GN'R are working on material everyday. When we clearly know that it's unlikely that that's the case, even if they are tossing a few ideas around here and there.  Smiley

I wasn't dismissing the statement DJ said, I was just talking on the side of common sense. For example we as GN'R hardcore fans know that maybe DJ used the word everyday abit loosley, but what about the casual music fan who comes across this story on the above link (ultimate guitar), they are going to think "Jesus, GN'R are working on new songs everyday, a new album must be imminent".

So that's the only reason why I felt like I had to remind people to use common sense before getting really excited about the comment. And that the media likes to take an interview like this, and word it differently to misleed people all the time, as Ultimate Guitar has done here. Tongue

Because if you just read that headline from Ultimate Guitar, you would automatically think that GN'R are all locked up in a studio writing everyday, but we know that isn't the exact case.  Cheesy

I really wouldn't worry about it.
I can't speak for everyone, but I would think most people learned from the making of Chinese Democracy not to get their hopes up.
Just because GNR is working on an album doesn't mean it's coming out any time resembling soon.
I'm in the "believe it when it's in stores" club.
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »

The media is what it is and has been. One source reports, then another sources take that and make the news their own. And so on, and so on. You ever play the game 'Telephone'? EXACTLY.

That said, any artist/musician/businessperson/whomever, whenever asked 'what's going on?' or 'what's coming up?' will ALWAYS answer in the positive, whether it's true or not. You think Ashba is gonna answer in the negative? You know what happens there-stuff gets played out BIG TIME (Oasis Gallagher brothers, Aerosmith, Mick and Keef).

Ask an actor what they're doing-they'll say how many auditions they're going on. Doesn't mean they have the part locked down at all.
There's still a BUNCH of other things that have to happen. Yes, the actor is acting. That's what they do. And the actor will tell everyone how much they're doing too. That's what they also do. Same thing with musicians. Some are stand up people. Others can be SCUMBAGS. This is the music bizniz-remember?

But look more at the person giving the answer. Ashba's as good of a businessman as he is a musician. Seems like a nice guy too. He has his hands (and hat) in many different projects. His profile is very talented and very worthwhile. He's ALWAYS creating. Is it all good? That's subjective. Personally, I don't dig alot of it, but he gets my respect.

Loose or not in his 'we're woking on new songs everyday' commentary-this doesn't mean much. At all. Whatsover. Polite smokescreen. We're not in the GNR rehearsal space or recording studio. GNR can either be 1% done or 99.9% done. We'll never know. Past practice has set the precedent. When something will be released, or said directly from Axl's mouth, then okay. Until then, whatever.

Don't take this with a pinch of salt. Take it with the whole damn mine.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
cineater
Legend

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »

They could be on skype too.  Where are those hackers when you need them?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Lourenco
Rocker

lourencovc.com

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »

I think DJ will be essential on cutting out new songs and working on them, even if by himself in a way. He's done a great job writing records for other bands as Motley Cr?e and such and for me, DJ's best work in GN'R is yet come. Until now it's like he joined a cover band (no pun intended) since he didn't write or record any of the songs he played live and I think its unfair to judge his guitar playing based on touring. Just check out his original work with other bands like the Beautiful Creatures. Awesome album with amazing guitar work. That's what I'm getting pumped up to see.
Evita
Rocker

Yes, it's me!

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 01:54:20 PM »

Just check out his original work with other bands like the Beautiful Creatures. Awesome album with amazing guitar work. That's what I'm getting pumped up to see.

I agree with that.  I really can't wait to hear what all these guys can do together now, with Dj in.  I'm greatful to GNR who made me discover this amazing artist and his previous work.

Guns N' Roses - W. Axl Rose
You can visit www.gnrwar.com
Marion68
VIP

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »

optimistically: "soon" is the word  Smiley

but realistically..... Undecided
[/quote

...all we can do is sit and wait...
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »

I just want to clarify for people what I meant by my comments in this thread.  Cheesy

All I am saying is that by DJ saying the comments he did, people are going to think that a GN'R release is much closer than we was previously expecting. That's just the way peoples minds work, based on what DJ said.

So, airing on the side of caution, if a GN'R album don't materialise for say another 2-3 years. People are going to get more fustrated during the wait, even more so because of such comments made by DJ.  Undecided

I will end my post by saying this, which I believe is a simple equation;

There is a reason why GN'R members like Ron, Tommy and Richard will not have said anything remotely like DJ did. And that's simply because, they know that GN'R fans latch onto every word, and make up their own conclusions based on their hopes and wishes.

Even if there were some GN'R songs being worked on now and then, they still wouldn't say it. Because at the end of the day, the ultimate decision is going to come from Axl in regards to releasing an album. So they would still keep it quiet as they, just like us, don't know for sure when the next album will be released. So they wouldn't want to give anyone false hope in regards to something they said. Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:06:42 AM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »

^^Great post, 100% agree with you.

I don't want my hopes built up unless something really is on the horizon.  Cry

The fact remains us Guns fans go crazy at the slightest suggestion of new studio music!

With that said, kudos to DJ because IMO he's just tryin to restore a bit of faith in the fans that we can expect new stuff in the future.

It's a difficult situation I suppose

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:32:19 AM by Stardust » Logged

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
gummyfish
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »

I really dont' want to rain on everyones parade but, I think DJ says alot of things loosely. He said a while ago that you won't have to wait long for a new GN'R album, then Ron said in another interview that the band had yet to sit in a room together and any material that will be on any future album will probably heavily feature CD era songs.  Cheesy

I like DJ, and I appreciate his role in GN'R for the past few years. But I think it's obvious to everyone that Guns N' Roses as a band are not working on new material everyday. As Rons doing his own music and making appearences, much like Richard and Frank. However, it is possible DJ is working on some GN'R stuff here and there, but again in saying that DJ seems to be pretty busy lately too, with him attending awards shows, and also dealing with Sixx AM.  Undecided

I guess I don't want GN'R fans, to be on cloud 9 because they hear that Guns N' Roses are working on new material every day, because they most likely aren't. If you take into consideration the last few interviews and activities from GN'R members, like Ron, Richard, Frank and Tommy.  ok

you make a good point. not saying he can't be trusted or anything, but as the CD wait taught us, it's always best to wait for some kind of official announcements or something to that effect. i really hope the next album is on the horizon though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: