Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 08:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash: 'Nothing Is Going To Happen With VR For At Least A Couple Of Years'
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash: 'Nothing Is Going To Happen With VR For At Least A Couple Of Years'  (Read 21019 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »

We will never know the exact reasons for the splits. I would think everyone contributed to it in some way. One thing we know for sure is that there is a long laundry list of people that don't get along with Rose, and same could be said about Scott. They both have earned reputations of being difficult to work with. The Deleo brothers essentially admitted that they decided it was worth putting up with Scott for the $. I thought Slash could have handled some of the questions regarding Scott better. It was probably best just not to answer them. Then again maybe they get sick of pretending it's all roses. He watched another band disintegrate, and spoke what he felt about the situation. At least when they are talking shit you get a sense they are being honest as opposed to keeping it politically correct.

I'm glad that the drama seems to have been put to rest. I'm looking forward to Slash's solo work, and I'll catch STP every time they play Boston. Scott seems content making the cookie cutter rock songs. Not sure how inspired he is creatively these days. The only songs I know of Myles are from the Slash album, and I like them both. It doesn't seem like Slash is going to have to compromise nearly as much to accommodate Myles style like he did for Scott, so as long as Myles holds up his end of the bargain, should be pretty solid stuff.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »

I was/is a casual STP fan, but found the last album not that good-I think at least with VR it was something different for Scott, and musically it sounded nothing like GNR. While the did not get along, it was something kind of different. I love Duff, but Loaded does not do much for me-I'm curious about the Myles album with Slash. We'll see.

libertad
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »

O well at least we are going to get some new music hopefully in a few years the boys will get back together either as VR or something new. If it is some new band I hope Steven Alder will drum.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

Duff is now saying pretty much the same thing as Slash.  From this interview with GI today:

April 15th, 2011

Rob: Why do you think it is taking so long to find a singer for Velvet Revolver?

Duff McKagan: I don?t know how much I want to say about that. I think Slash is very happy doing his solo thing, and why not. I think if Velvet Revolver is going to happen again it will happen when it?s supposed to happen. We played with some good singers and Scott Weiland is tough guy to replace.

A lot of singers are daunted by that. You don?t want to go out there and fuck up. Some things are better left as is. There?s a lot going through you head. Should we fuck with this or leave it alone? The things you put into a band you don?t want it tainted. Like I said, if it?s supposed to happen well do it.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »

Forgive me for being the cynic here, but maybe Slash has no interest in VR because he knows that by doing his own thing, even if only half as popular, he'd be doing better financially than if he were part of a band that had to share revenues?

That's probably true, $lash loves cash $$$$$

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »

My guess is that he made more money with VR-Contraband went 2X Platnium, and there were pretty much playing arenas-he would draw much less as a solo act-with he solo album don't forget he split co-writing credits with each singer also.

libertad
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »

I just don't see the same exposure he is going to get with the Myles record as opposed to Corey Taylor fronting VR-I think he was surprised that his solo album sold well, but I really can't see the Myles solo record selling anything near that.

libertad
gnr2k6
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »

anything with slash on it will sell considering his fan base.
slash is on fire at the moment. i liked the solo album and his playing live seems to really have gone up a notch.

henriled
Opening Act

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 07:12:13 AM »

Well, I think this overall good news. Slash is having lots of success and he seems to be really really happy. An album with Myles will be amazing if the quality of the song are the same of his first solo record. I think he's having a great time touring and recording. This is how I like to see him, more than when he was with VR. Smiley
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »

I think that a new solo album for  Slash will be good. I just don't get why Myles isn't the person  who replaces Scott in VR?? I mean Myles has the vocal range and can sing GNR songs. You can tell that he likes singing the old GNR song and performing with Slash. I think it would be a kickass rock album. I don't think Corey would have fit with VR. Additionally, I didn't think Scott would fit in. Contraband was a great album, but the second VR album wasn't good. Scott fits better with STP.  One other thing that needs to be brought up is the induction of GNR in 2012. With VR going on an indefinite hiatus, does this set the stage for old school GNR to appear at least once (Hall of Fame)? I think the key to it is Izzy and Duff. It will be talked about more often now that GNR is getting closer to the induction year.

PS: Btw, I do like old and new GNR.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 09:16:47 AM »

In Sammy Hagar's new book, he said at the Rock hall of fame, when they played the Van Halen song, originally they were talking about playing Jump (VR) with Roth singing. Scott Weiland threatened to quit if Roth came anywhere near the stage. I think Scott Weiland is great, but this kind of stuff I think probably happened all the time-I could not see Myles pulling something like that.

libertad
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »

For me personally, VR was never my favorite, I hated Scott's damn megaphone, it completely sounded aweful, and I truley think he fits best with STP.  It was kind of like something that was out there and gave me something to do while waiting for Axl to release CD, and I thank them for that, I really just never got that warm, fuzzy feeling with this band, whatever the case may be, I appreciated the time spent, but do not really hold it anywhere dear to my heart no.  I wish them all well tho and hope they all are happy in thier current situations.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »

In Sammy Hagar's new book, he said at the Rock hall of fame, when they played the Van Halen song, originally they were talking about playing Jump (VR) with Roth singing. Scott Weiland threatened to quit if Roth came anywhere near the stage. I think Scott Weiland is great, but this kind of stuff I think probably happened all the time-I could not see Myles pulling something like that.

Strange... the way I heard it, David Lee Roth refused to even turn up to the Hall Of Fame, because he found out that he'd have to share the stage with another singer.
Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »

I think that a new solo album for  Slash will be good. I just don't get why Myles isn't the person  who replaces Scott in VR?? I mean Myles has the vocal range and can sing GNR songs. You can tell that he likes singing the old GNR song and performing with Slash. I think it would be a kickass rock album. I don't think Corey would have fit with VR. Additionally, I didn't think Scott would fit in. Contraband was a great album, but the second VR album wasn't good. Scott fits better with STP.  One other thing that needs to be brought up is the induction of GNR in 2012. With VR going on an indefinite hiatus, does this set the stage for old school GNR to appear at least once (Hall of Fame)? I think the key to it is Izzy and Duff. It will be talked about more often now that GNR is getting closer to the induction year.

PS: Btw, I do like old and new GNR.

Looking at it from a purely business perspective, Myles is a bad choice. No offense to the people who like him but he isn't going to dwarf Scott Weiland which is what VR needed to do.

Alter Bridge's albums sell 28,000 copies the first week. Corey's go platinum. He was the one who could have brought in new fans and gotten the most most attention from the media. Myles would not do that.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »

SLASH On COREY TAYLOR Singing For VELVET REVOLVER: 'It Just Didn't Seem To Fit Right To Me' - Apr. 16, 2011

Vorterix.com conducted an interview with Slash when the legendary VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist performed in Buenos Aires, Argentina last week. You can now watch the chat below. A couple of excerpts follow.

On the current status of VELVET REVOLVER:

Slash: "What happens is with VELVET REVOLVER, when we parted ways with [singer] Scott Weiland, I was so frustrated because Scott was such a pain in the ass. And I thought, 'I just wanna have some quiet time and just write some music,' and then the idea of doing the solo record came up. And in the meantime, no new singers for VELVET REVOLVER, that were really good enough for VELVET REVOLVER, popped up. So I just started working on the solo record, and put it out and went on the road. But the whole time [I was] very conscious of [trying to find someone] who was going to sing for VELVET REVOLVER ? but no one's turned up. So in the meantime I just keep doing what it is that I do and I've got a great bunch of guys that I work with [in my solo band], I enjoy working with them. I'm having a lot of fun; there's no unnecessary hassles or anything, and everybody's good players. And now we're writing music for [my] next [solo] record, which is gonna be killer. So, you know, with VELVET REVOLVER, it's like Duff's [McKagan, bass] got his own thing, I've got my thing, Matt's [Sorum, drums] got his thing. If a great singer comes and says, 'I wanna sing for VELVET REVOLVER,' and we all go, 'Yeah,' we'll make a VELVET record. But I can do my own thing ? I don't have to go back and do that ? unless it's good enough to do it, you know what I mean?!

"Next year I definitely will make another Slash record with [ALTER BRIDGE singer] Myles Kennedy [and the rest of my solo band] and go on tour. So at least for the next couple of years, nothing is going to be happening with VELVET REVOLVER that I can see 'cause I'll be focused on this. And after that's over, if something happens? I'm just not really concerning myself with it right now. We had all these different guys try out, all really good singers, but nobody has fit the thing, so, you know, I have to move on."

On the rumor that VELVET REVOLVER was recording with Corey Taylor (SLIPKNOT, STONE SOUR) and that VELVET REVOLVER was close to announcing Taylor as the band's new singer:

Slash: "Because of the social networking, and the way that information gets out so quickly now? We did work with Corey Taylor, and as soon as that rumor [got around], next thing you know, everybody is saying Corey's the new singer. And all we were doing was just rehearsing with him and trying him out ? auditioning him, so to speak. So, in order to do that, our process is to? we take a lot of music that we wrote and we give it to him and he writes his lyrics and he comes in and we just perform it and record it and see [what it sounds like]. It's just an audition process; it's the way that we do it. So he did come in and do all that. But I just wasn't? It just didn't seem to fit right to me. And he's great ? and I love Corey ? but it didn't seem like the answer to the VELVET REVOLVER problem."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=156901

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:49:36 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
muttley
Opening Act

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

i'm glad i was never expecting anything anytime soon from this band. i love all the guys, but no point in doing it if it doesn't feel right.

lowercase.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »

This is sad news IMO. I saw VR 4, maybe 5 times live, and they were kick-ass every time. I will miss them greatly. Good thing I collected a large number of their shows on CD and DVD when I could. I liked both albums although Contraband was better. I also really like the solo Slash stuff so at least fans will continue to have music from Slash, and Myles has good musical range. Imagine how hard it is to do a credible Axl and Scott, two of the best frontmen around. While Myles does not have the onstage charisma of either, he is more than serviceable so I expect the second solo Slash album to be really good also. I think Slash is hitting his peak in terms of playing live and writing songs.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:27:54 PM by russkwtx » Logged

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2011, 12:58:46 AM »

Two words: Angus Young.

Is with a spectacular singer tho! Tongue

Lead singer is defintly important. Case in in point; Vince Neil Wink Rememeber when Vince was young...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:02:11 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 04:53:43 AM »

They should of just said this back in 2008.  For me, nothing has changed.  There won't be a VR until they find a singer and all want to do it. (if ever)

The way these guys operate, they'll probably announce a singer tomorrow  hihi

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »

VR is officialy on hiatus till further notice...
that's at least something.

Slash can tour his album off, Slash can record 2nd album with myles and tour behind it.
Duff can do Loaded.
Matt his side projects and whatever he's got these days...

Dave is a real cool recording artist with a lot of songs of games and whatever more:P

these guys can do there own thing and don't need VR thats the greatest part of it.

And it seems to me that VR is already dead,,, but who know... We'll just leave it at that.

Now Slash, Come back to Paradiso! we loved you last year;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: