Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 10:34:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash: 'Nothing Is Going To Happen With VR For At Least A Couple Of Years'
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash: 'Nothing Is Going To Happen With VR For At Least A Couple Of Years'  (Read 21032 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »

Am I the only who thinks he seems much more inspired with his solo work and tour than he was with VR? Especially at the end.
I think Slash's playing on Contraband is great, but then Scott dropped the ball with some horrendous lyrics. I thought Scott songwriting was stronger on Libertad, but Slash and co seemed to take a back seat and play to Scott's style, which is fine, but now he has the freedom to play what he wants.
It takes balls to put music out under his name, he doesn't have a band to hide behind if it sucks.

I'm a huge Scott fan, I think the first STP albums were some of the strongest of their time, and he is still one of the last great frontmen left today, live anyways. He had his moments with VR, but he's not what he used to be. That said, he was the face of VR and their is no point in going on with a new lead singer. It would be cool to see Slash and Duff play together again, but they don't need each other.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 01:24:58 PM »

Forgive me for being the cynic here, but maybe Slash has no interest in VR because he knows that by doing his own thing, even if only half as popular, he'd be doing better financially than if he were part of a band that had to share revenues?

Finances probably has a lot to do with it. You can probably make more money releasing stuff on your own and selling half as much than being on a major label and then splitting it with 4 other guys.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »

Well at least one of them has finally said it. Sad

Hopefully he tells the others. Cheesy

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »

me corey taylor is not the voice of classic rock.

Well, that's okay, because VR were not a classic rock band, and they never claimed to be.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »

Well I have to agree that Corey was not a patch on Scott in terms of VR's style and direction. I think that if VR got Corey in as the singer, the whole band would of had a different feeling.  Undecided

VR died the day Scott left, and that's something that Slash, Duff and Matt all secretly realise but don't want to admit publicly. Which is that Scott was indeed the driving force behind the band.  Tongue
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »

matt on the other hand, well karma is a bitch.

What's your problem with Matt?

Half your post are like he has personally fucked you over...

Which is that Scott was indeed the driving force behind the band.  Tongue

Uh, he may have been the driving force behind Libertad but he sure as hell wasn't the driving force behind Contraband.

Beyond the above..

Why is anyone shocked, surprised, pissed etc about this not so newsworthy revelation?

I mean c'mon - the handwriting's been on the wall for a while now.  Sure there's been a few false alarms on the closeness of a singer decision but did anyone really believe Slash would go back to a situation he was clearly not enthused about once his solo stuff became successful?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »

I'm not talking about songwriting neccessarily, I'm talking about public image. And I stand by the statement that in terms of appearing in music videos, doing interviews and carrying the whole essence of VR, I would say that Scott took most of the responsibility.

In any band, the lead singer is the maker or breaker in terms of winning over the audience. Just look at Slash's Snakepit, the reason why that never really took of is because the lead singer had the charisma of a fuckin brick.  Tongue

Scott, was Slash's best chance to establish a full band post GN'R. Now that is gone and I doubt Slash will ever be in a band like VR again, I guess he will still be clowning around with various shit singers for years and years to come.  rofl

No Scott, No VR... yes
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »

Ding dong the witch is dead,
--"which old witch?"
The VR witch!! Grin

I'm glad Slash finally admitted this whole thing about VR.  They have just been bluffing to everybody for the last couple years and dissing Scott by trying to continue on without him.  I guess even Slash got tired of hearing his own bullshit lol  It just got to the point where the negatives would have outweighed the positives with VR continuing.  I also think this whole thing has really made Slash come off as a phoney.  Cool rock star image, but very two-faced and full of shit.  I think Slash did a lot of shit to Weiland that he did to another frontman before that.   VR will always be on a bigger level than any of their solo stuff.   The solo stuff is cool, and probably the best thing for them to do now.  It gives them more credibility than it would if they continued on with VR.   
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »

tell the others?

Well, Duff just said he didn't think they would be active for 5 months.  Matt has taken himself out of the decision process.  And Dave Kushner said he would let everyone know what what going on with VR when he could -- that was last year.

this not so newsworthy revelation?

Hey. Angry

hihi

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »

The funny thing about this whole thing is that you can just imagine Dave Kushner hanging on every word, and being just as much bummed out as VR fans. For the past 2 years, he's been sitting by the damn phone, waiting for the VR guys to call. And now he hears, this news from Slash (probably off the net). Tongue

The poor guy must be pulling his hair out..............oh wait.  hihi
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »

--"which old witch?"
The VR witch!! Grin

I'm glad Slash finally admitted this whole thing about VR.  They have just been bluffing to everybody for the last couple years and dissing Scott by trying to continue on without him.  I guess even Slash got tired of hearing his own bullshit lol  It just got to the point where the negatives would have outweighed the positives with VR continuing.  I also think this whole thing has really made Slash come off as a phoney.  Cool rock star image, but very two-faced and full of shit.  I think Slash did a lot of shit to Weiland that he did to another frontman before that.   VR will always be on a bigger level than any of their solo stuff.   The solo stuff is cool, and probably the best thing for them to do now.  It gives them more credibility than it would if they continued on with VR.   

I find it interesting that you single Slash out stating that 'Slash did a lot of shit to Weiland that he did to another frontman before that". Scott has stated repeatedly that he and Slash did not have problems. And Slash is the only VR member that has had any contact with Scott since he was fired from VR.
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »

--"which old witch?"
The VR witch!! Grin

I find it interesting that you single Slash out stating that 'Slash did a lot of shit to Weiland that he did to another frontman before that". Scott has stated repeatedly that he and Slash did not have problems. And Slash is the only VR member that has had any contact with Scott since he was fired from VR.

yes, SCOTT has said that...  Slash keeps talking shit though.   The Scott/Slash meeting was just chance anyways.   
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »

--"which old witch?"
The VR witch!! Grin

Hang on there, didn't Scott say in an interview in 2009 that he has new found respect for Axl. Simply because he know knew what it must have been like to be in a band with Slash. So you can't really say it was always rosie between Scott and Slash, they had many disputes and it got to the point where they had to be forced to take a band photo together before a gig. When they played in an eastern country during their last shows in 2008, before Scott left.  Shocked
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »

--"which old witch?"
The VR witch!! Grin

yes, SCOTT has said that...  Slash keeps talking shit though.   The Scott/Slash meeting was just chance anyways.   

It might have been by chance but they got along well and had a conversation.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

Hang on there, didn't Scott say in an interview in 2009 that he has new found respect for Axl. Simply because he know knew what it must have been like to be in a band with Slash. So you can't really say it was always rosie between Scott and Slash, they had many disputes and it got to the point where they had to be forced to take a band photo together before a gig. When they played in an eastern country during their last shows in 2008, before Scott left.

My point was Scott was having problems with everyone in VR.
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »

I think they should consider doing VR with Scott again. i always thought they could get a better singer like a mike Patton, Lenny Kravitz, Chris Cornell, etc. I was not on the Corey Taylor band wagon. I wish in the end they would have been able to get Myles Kennedy but we know why slash does not want to go there.

If you think about it when everything went down with Scott, everyone was dealing with a lot of personal issues including Scott. I think the stp reunion thing escalated the whole situation and Scott may have gotten cocky when dealing with band issues since he had the stp thing in his back pocket. In the end no one wanted to deal with anyone's bullshit and everyone went on to do their own thing. however, it seems that the guys have mostly gotten over their hard feelings after working on their other bands. Additionally, iit does not appear that there is a deep rooted hatred like the gnr situation.

Nowadays many artists are part of multiple bands and projects. I think they should consider puttingbtheir differences aside and see if they can work together again. I think one of the reasons it may have imploded at the time was the pressure of being soley committed to VR when everyone likes to be involved in different projects. I think if they realize that they can do VR and their other projects then maybe it could work.

On a side note. I also do not understand if Myles isngoing to do another album with slash why not be part of two bands and join VR. He does not have to break up with AB to be in VR. He can basically do what he is doing with slash except in VR. I think there may be something else to why slash has not pushed for Myles to join VR.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »

Am I the only who thinks he seems much more inspired with his solo work and tour than he was with VR? Especially at the end.
I think Slash's playing on Contraband is great, but then Scott dropped the ball with some horrendous lyrics. I thought Scott songwriting was stronger on Libertad, but Slash and co seemed to take a back seat and play to Scott's style, which is fine, but now he has the freedom to play what he wants.
It takes balls to put music out under his name, he doesn't have a band to hide behind if it sucks.

I'm a huge Scott fan, I think the first STP albums were some of the strongest of their time, and he is still one of the last great frontmen left today, live anyways. He had his moments with VR, but he's not what he used to be. That said, he was the face of VR and their is no point in going on with a new lead singer. It would be cool to see Slash and Duff play together again, but they don't need each other.

No you are not the only one ok
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 10:29:03 PM »

In any band, the lead singer is the maker or breaker in terms of winning over the audience.

Two words: Angus Young.

Scott, was Slash's best chance to establish a full band post GN'R. Now that is gone and I doubt Slash will ever be in a band like VR again

I don't think he has any desire to be in a band like VR at the moment, why would he?

He's achieved icon status, wild success with 2 different bands in 2 different eras and the freedom as a solo artist to pick and choose who he wants to work with whenever the hell he wants.

He really doesn't need a frontman with lead singer disease at this point, dude's legacy is fully secured no matter who he runs out there to sing.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Ace_954
Opening Act

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 04:49:37 AM »

I can only say that it's good they have stopped bulls**tting the fans that VR will get going again. Except for the part where they say they will just pick up things after a 5-6 year hiatus loll. This is the nail in the coffin.

Goodbye VR, thanks for the 1 awesome record and 2 shows I went to. It was great while it lasted.  beer
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »

I wish they would have hired Corey Taylor, but it's obvious Slash was not into it. Maybe it would have been great for all the Slash haters if they had hired him and then after 1 album said he wasn't the right guy-they would have made a ton of money touring with him, probably.

libertad
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: