Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 06:39:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff McKagan On VR 'I Highly Doubt Anything Will Happen For The Next 5 Months'
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff McKagan On VR 'I Highly Doubt Anything Will Happen For The Next 5 Months'  (Read 7802 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:12 PM »

I don't think any musician owes anybody anything, because yes, they get your money. But it's a trade of "we get money, we give you a show and/or new music". If they want to give fans any more than that, that's their choice, and I think it's great when bands do that. But they're not obligated to, because by making the record they've already fulfilled their part of the deal.

It's like people demanding free stuff from a shop because they happen to have spent money there. If they set up an offer so that you get free stuff, that's fair play. But you'd be an asshole to expect them to do so.

If a group of people made me rich beyond my wildest dreams, I would go above and beyond for them.  Thats me though.  Not everyone is of the same mind set.  Above and beyond could simply mean hitting small markets and giving everyone a chance to see you like A7X does, or doing meet and greets before every show like Metallica does.  Or taking the 5 extra minutes after a show to slap everyone along the railing on the way to the dressing room  five and say "thank you" to them like James Hefield does. Pulling fans on stage to sing songs with you like Green Day does.  Also putting every show you do online so everyone in the world can buy it, even those who live in countries you can't get to.  Giving back to the fans doesn't mean giving away something of monetary value.  To say its a simple cash for music and show thing, well thats a great mindset when dealing with a hooker.  I always love the bands who make you feel like you are a part of the family and the ones who truly believe it.

Also considering these days people don't have to buy music they can just take it, artists should be even more appreciative.

These bands were not just made rich beyond their wildest dreams.  They were made rich beyond their wildest dreams because they made great music and put on great shows the connected with and entertained people immensely.  The band would be shit if not for the music they wrote and the shows they put on that created and drew in fans.  Bands like GN'R and Metallica didn't just make it out of dumb luck.  They made it out of a combination of luck, hard work and great talent.

I agree it's cool when bands take the time out to say hello and thank the fans for coming out.  No doubt it's cool.  The "part of the family" thing doesn't really resonate with me as I've never had that mindset of being part of a family with a band and/or other fans.  At the end of the day, it is the music business and you get what you pay for, and you aren't owed anything else.  You may want something else, but there is a big distinction between wanting more and being entitled to it.  I'm not saying this specifically in regards to you, but in general, many seem to have difficulty making that distinction.

And, I'm sorry, but that last comment was completely absurd.  Bands do NOT have to be nor SHOULD they be appreciative of people not stealing their music.  People SHOULD NOT steal their music.  I'm sorry, but you don't get rewarded, thanked or even a pat on the back for obeying the law, you just don't get punished for breaking it.

Ali
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »

And, I'm sorry, but that last comment was completely absurd.  Bands do NOT have to be nor SHOULD they be appreciative of people not stealing their music. 

Ali

That is a good way to look at it if it is 1992, in 2011 it doesn't really apply anymore.  I don't think its absurd, I think unfortunately it is reality.  With torrents these days, a band should be appreciative when people actually BUY their music.  I never download things for free, I like to have a hard copy of the album with artwork, but most people don't.  To simply label it as stealing is kind of an old way of looking at things.  The business model for buying an album is flawed and needs to be changed, the internet killed it.  How do you steal something that doesn't actually physically exist?  I am not condoning stealing music, but the reality is most people will just take it if they can.   To just call it stealing and say they need to be punished doesn't really resonate in 2011, especially when the concept of buying a record is completely lost on today's youth.

Bands that live in reality today make a point of thanking their fans for "actually buying" the album because they know you can just take it.   They do it all the time.   I think you are underestimating the power of the music fan, without the fans the bands would not exist.  You make it sound like a band is doing the fans a favor by giving them music, the fans are doing the band an equal favor by actually listening to it.   It is a give and take relationship.  The family aspect of a fan base is what I have always been drawn too.  Metallica's whole "we are Metallica, you are Metallica" mentality is a big part of the reason why I love them so much.    Come to think of it I can't really think of any bands that I am into that don't treat their fans with a lot of repect.  If there is no sense of comradery between a band and their fans Im usually not interested in that band.  A simple "you get what you pay for" mentality is what I look for when I buy a car or a new pair of shoes.
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »

I think someone might have already pointed this out, but I find it ironic that people on a GUNS N ROSES board are complaining about a band that may take, gasp, 5 years between albums!  On top of that, Slash and Duff just released albums...  And rather than getting caught up with whether or not these guys "owe" you anything, I say just be thankful some of your favorite artists are still even alive and out there touring and making music.  Can't really take that fact for granted, especially, with the two guys (Duff and Slash) in question. 

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
Ali
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »

And, I'm sorry, but that last comment was completely absurd.  Bands do NOT have to be nor SHOULD they be appreciative of people not stealing their music. 

Ali

That is a good way to look at it if it is 1992, in 2011 it doesn't really apply anymore.  I don't think its absurd, I think unfortunately it is reality.  With torrents these days, a band should be appreciative when people actually BUY their music.  I never download things for free, I like to have a hard copy of the album with artwork, but most people don't.  To simply label it as stealing is kind of an old way of looking at things.  The business model for buying an album is flawed and needs to be changed, the internet killed it.  How do you steal something that doesn't actually physically exist?  I am not condoning stealing music, but the reality is most people will just take it if they can.   To just call it stealing and say they need to be punished doesn't really resonate in 2011, especially when the concept of buying a record is completely lost on today's youth.

Bands that live in reality today make a point of thanking their fans for "actually buying" the album because they know you can just take it.   They do it all the time.   I think you are underestimating the power of the music fan, without the fans the bands would not exist.  You make it sound like a band is doing the fans a favor by giving them music, the fans are doing the band an equal favor by actually listening to it.   It is a give and take relationship.  The family aspect of a fan base is what I have always been drawn too.  Metallica's whole "we are Metallica, you are Metallica" mentality is a big part of the reason why I love them so much.    Come to think of it I can't really think of any bands that I am into that don't treat their fans with a lot of repect.  If there is no sense of comradery between a band and their fans Im usually not interested in that band.  A simple "you get what you pay for" mentality is what I look for when I buy a car or a new pair of shoes.

1992 vs. 2011 doesn't change the fact that taking something (especially of monetary value like an album) without giving payment  is theft or piracy (however you want to term it).  No one gets a thank you or gold star for doing what they're supposed to do and following the law (i.e. paying for the records they obtain).  You just don't get punished.  I'm sorry, but it is really that simple.  You SHOULD pay for the records you get.  That's why there are piracy laws.  Bands don't have to thank anyone for following the law.  Piracy/theft is illegal.  End of story. 

No shit the fans are doing the bands a favor by listening to the music.  But, by the same token, the bands are doing US a favor by giving us music to listen to. 

Yes, it's cool when bands go above and beyond.  The fact is though, they are not obligated to do anything beyond delivering the album and kicking ass live when you pay for albums and concert tickets.  This is a business after all.  Yes, it's NICE when they do more.  But, that doesn't translate to obligation.  If you need to feel like you're part of a band's "family", I don't understand that at all, but more power to you.

Ali
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »

Ali

1992 vs. 2011 doesn't change the fact that taking something (especially of monetary value like an album) without giving payment  is theft or piracy (however you want to term it).  No one gets a thank you or gold star for doing what they're supposed to do and following the law (i.e. paying for the records they obtain).  You just don't get punished.  I'm sorry, but it is really that simple.  You SHOULD pay for the records you get.  That's why there are piracy laws.  Bands don't have to thank anyone for following the law.  Piracy/theft is illegal.  End of story. 

No shit the fans are doing the bands a favor by listening to the music.  But, by the same token, the bands are doing US a favor by giving us music to listen to. 

Yes, it's cool when bands go above and beyond.  The fact is though, they are not obligated to do anything beyond delivering the album and kicking ass live when you pay for albums and concert tickets.  This is a business after all.  Yes, it's NICE when they do more.  But, that doesn't translate to obligation.  If you need to feel like you're part of a band's "family", I don't understand that at all, but more power to you.

Ali

I actually said everything you just said, and agree with everything you said from stealing to it not being an obligation to do things for your fans.  So we are on the same page.  I agree stealing songs is wrong, but I also KNOW that most people don't give a shit and do it anyway.  Thats why a band should be thankful for those honest people out there who keep them going.   

As far as the being part of the bands family, I really don't know what there isnt to get.  It seems like you have no problem having the same relation to a band as you do your accountant, that wouldnt do it for me.    It isn't just music to some of us, it is a way of life.  James Hetfield talks about the spiritual connection to his fans, and living and dying with them.  It is way more than just music.  There is a intangible thing that cant be explained, you have to feel it.  Metallica is not just 4 guys on a stage, it is also the 20,000 people in the arena.    I keep using them as an example because they are pretty vocal about the importance of the band/fan relationship, and how there really is nothing seperating the two. Many other bands do the same thing just as well or better than them.  It sounds cheesy but if I can't connect with a band on a higher level than just finding their tune catchy, they usually don't do it for me.  I have a lot of those type of bands on my ipod, but I wouldn't say that any of them are among my favorites. Thats me though.  My life is music.  I eat, breathe, sleep and work in music.  The whole underground scene that I came up with is where you get that"family" vibe, it is definitely not there in some genre's of music.

Sure bands are not obligated to do things for their fans, but its nice when they do. If they were obligated, the nice things would not be nearly as special when they did them. Just like fans are no longer obligated to pay for the bands music but it is nice when they do.  It will be interesting to see if more bands go the Radiohead, NIN and Angels and Airwaves rout and just give their future records away for free.  I for one hope that doesn't happen as I enjoy trips to the record store, but it seems inevitable.  Especially with today's youth who get whatever they want in the click of a button, going to a store to get something in 5 years will make no sense to them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:06:14 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »

To even have the choice to frequently pick what to buy next between other things than the "normal album" (B-Sides, Live Audio, Live Video, DVDs etc.) from your fave bands is from high value for a music fan.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »

Ali

Ali

I actually said everything you just said, and agree with everything you said from stealing to it not being an obligation to do things for your fans.  So we are on the same page.  I agree stealing songs is wrong, but I also KNOW that most people don't give a shit and do it anyway.  Thats why a band should be thankful for those honest people out there who keep them going.   

As far as the being part of the bands family, I really don't know what there isnt to get.  It seems like you have no problem having the same relation to a band as you do your accountant, that wouldnt do it for me.    It isn't just music to some of us, it is a way of life.  James Hetfield talks about the spiritual connection to his fans, and living and dying with them.  It is way more than just music.  There is a intangible thing that cant be explained, you have to feel it.  Metallica is not just 4 guys on a stage, it is also the 20,000 people in the arena.    I keep using them as an example because they are pretty vocal about the importance of the band/fan relationship, and how there really is nothing seperating the two. Many other bands do the same thing just as well or better than them.  It sounds cheesy but if I can't connect with a band on a higher level than just finding their tune catchy, they usually don't do it for me.  I have a lot of those type of bands on my ipod, but I wouldn't say that any of them are among my favorites. Thats me though.  My life is music.  I eat, breathe, sleep and work in music.  The whole underground scene that I came up with is where you get that"family" vibe, it is definitely not there in some genre's of music.

Sure bands are not obligated to do things for their fans, but its nice when they do. If they were obligated, the nice things would not be nearly as special when they did them. Just like fans are no longer obligated to pay for the bands music but it is nice when they do.  It will be interesting to see if more bands go the Radiohead, NIN and Angels and Airwaves rout and just give their future records away for free.  I for one hope that doesn't happen as I enjoy trips to the record store, but it seems inevitable.  Especially with today's youth who get whatever they want in the click of a button, going to a store to get something in 5 years will make no sense to them.

The whole thing about having the same relationship with a band as I do with an accountant is, frankly, ridiculous and completely uninformed.  Music is one of the most important things in my life.  I just don't need to or want to feel like I'm a part of some extended family with a band to connect with and have the music itself resonate with and hold deep meaning for me.  I don't need to know or feel directly connected to the artist in a familial way to connect with the thoughts and emotions expressed in the music on a higher level.  If you need to feel that, great.  Not everyone does, so not everyone feels like they need to have bands behave like Metallica in order to get fulfillment out of their music and live shows.  I feel a connection to the bands I like because their music speaks to me and, at times, because I feel that music points to similar personal experiences.

These days, you can legally purchase an album without going to a store.  So, anyone that uses that excuse for not purchasing music is l

Ali
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 01:21:52 PM »

Ali

Ali

The whole thing about having the same relationship with a band as I do with an accountant is, frankly, ridiculous and completely uninformed.  Music is one of the most important things in my life.  I just don't need to or want to feel like I'm a part of some extended family with a band to connect with and have the music itself resonate with and hold deep meaning for me.  I don't need to know or feel directly connected to the artist in a familial way to connect with the thoughts and emotions expressed in the music on a higher level.  If you need to feel that, great.  Not everyone does, so not everyone feels like they need to have bands behave like Metallica in order to get fulfillment out of their music and live shows.  I feel a connection to the bands I like because their music speaks to me and, at times, because I feel that music points to similar personal experiences.

These days, you can legally purchase an album without going to a store.  So, anyone that uses that excuse for not purchasing music is l

Ali

I said the accountant thing because you said a few times how the relationship with a band is you give them money, they give you the product.  You last post cleared up any confusion I had about what you were saying   I think you are taking the family thing too literally, its is more of a community thing, like a fan base, much like this board we are on right now.  I honestly think we are agreeing on all of this stuff, but getting caught up in semantics.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »

From Slash to Rolling Stone March 25th:

Is anything new with Velvet Revolver?

Slash: We have not resolved the singer situation yet. We keep making stabs at it, but nothing's come out of it. We're very particular about what it should sound like. Sometimes a couple of guys might agree on one singer, and a couple of them might not, but for the most part I think the right person will be a universal decision between all the guys.

From Duff March 29th:

TCC: Velvet Revolver is currently looking for a new lead singer. Are you guys looking for someone with an already established resume like Scott Weiland or more of a newcomer?

Duff McKagan: I have no idea. I really--I?m being honest with you. Slash is on tour. We?re about to start touring. So right now, we?re not doing anything. There?s no rush. I guess we?ll get to that when we get to that.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »

http://www.fileserve.com/file/hXdgkJS  beer

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »

Slash: Sometimes a couple of guys might agree on one singer, and a couple of them might not, but for the most part I think the right person will be a universal decision between all the guys.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Dave was the guy saying no to every singer

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »

Slash: Sometimes a couple of guys might agree on one singer, and a couple of them might not, but for the most part I think the right person will be a universal decision between all the guys.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Dave was the guy saying no to every singer

That made me laugh out loud, literally.  rofl

But yeah, I think it's obvious that the main conflicts in regard to a singer is between the Slash, Duff and Matt. I think Dave would settle for just about anyone, to start touring again.

It's a shame really, because from the few interviews I've seen from Dave, he does seem like a really cool, down to earth guy.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: