Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff McKagan Says Taking Stage With Guns N' Roses Was Meant To Happen
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff McKagan Says Taking Stage With Guns N' Roses Was Meant To Happen  (Read 8088 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »

No, I think he'd have been into it. Even Gilby at the time said that Axl and Duff were on the same page about what the next album should be like.

Yeah, maybe so, but he clearly wasn't too attached to it.
I don't think the new sound would be utilizing his talents, so he made the right call in my opinion.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »

Gotta love Duff  Smiley

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 11:31:24 AM »

http://www.duffmckagan.net/hf99.htm

Duff left GNR because he felt like it was a dictatorship.  Read the interview for the details.   

Duff to Axl "Enough is enough, this band is a dictatorship and i dont see myself playing in those conditions, find someone else".

So there it is people.  The reason Duff left GNR.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »

http://www.duffmckagan.net/hf99.htm

Duff left GNR because he felt like it was a dictatorship.  Read the interview for the details.   

Duff to Axl "Enough is enough, this band is a dictatorship and i dont see myself playing in those conditions, find someone else".

So there it is people.  The reason Duff left GNR.

Thanks for posting this. I rmembered the article but could not find it. Also to back this info up are several interviews with Duff on youtube.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »

Why did Duff Leave?   Well first it was Steven getting fired, then Izzy left, then Gilby left/got sacked and then Slash quit. 

Once Slash quit it didnt take long before the others followed or got sacked.  It got too messy and that version of Guns was clearly finished.

Duff was still in the band for 3 years after Slash left. That is not even close to "soon after".

Slash left GNR in October 1996.  Matt got fired in April 1997.  Duff left in August 1997.  That version of the band fell apart in them 10 months.

Duff was still in the band in 1998, Slash left in 1995.
Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »

Duff left the band in 1998, right before his daughter was born. He was not sober for years, eh had just gotten out of rehab. He stated many times in recent years that this was a big reason for his wanting out.

He has also said he made comments in the late 90s/early 2000s about Axl that he regreted.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 02:04:11 PM »

I think it's naive to ignore the fact that every single member that left, got along, and had one person in common with whom they didn't.
Doesn't mean one side is right or wrong, but I think it paints a pretty clear picture of why the band ended. I don't think it's the mystery some people make it out to be.
Duff left in 1997 when it was hardly even a band. It's not like they were on the road, partying their asses off every night. Not sure leaving was necessary to become sober.
I'm sure Duff regrets things he said at the time, because most people don't want to air their dirty laundry to the media,
but it's pretty obvious why he and the others felt they couldn't make GNR work any longer.  In my opinion that band was finished the day Izzy left anyway, at least creatively.
I like Gilby, and they were still a powerhouse live, but losing Izzy changed the whole dynamics of the band, and kind of cheapened the whole thing.
I think being on the road as long as they were took a toll on them. Izzy had enough, and I'm sure everyone else saw the writing on the wall after he left, but it can't be easy to walk away from being the biggest band in the world. It took some of em a bit longer to come to terms with it being over. Hell, most of their fans still aren't over it!

Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »

Izzy was in major trouble with the law and facing prison time if he didn't stay sober. I'd imagine that was probably the main factor that pushed him to leave. There were drugs all around them.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »

Izzy was in major trouble with the law and facing prison time if he didn't stay sober. I'd imagine that was probably the main factor that pushed him to leave. There were drugs all around them.

Yeah, I don't doubt that. And him leaving was the beginning of the end.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »

I'm going to be meeting Duff tomorrow, he is doing a signing session in Birmingham UK.

And you know what, One.In.A.Million will be wearing his Robin Finck GN'R shirt.  hihi
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 03:36:15 PM »

Why did Duff Leave?   Well first it was Steven getting fired, then Izzy left, then Gilby left/got sacked and then Slash quit. 

Once Slash quit it didnt take long before the others followed or got sacked.  It got too messy and that version of Guns was clearly finished.

Duff was still in the band for 3 years after Slash left. That is not even close to "soon after".

Slash left GNR in October 1996.  Matt got fired in April 1997.  Duff left in August 1997.  That version of the band fell apart in them 10 months.

Duff was still in the band in 1998, Slash left in 1995.

No, jacdaniel is right. There was only a ten-month gap between Slash and Duff leaving.

Anyways, it's good to know that Duff and Axl are cool now. I wonder if he'll ever do anyting else with GNR in the future?

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »

That and Axl wanted him to sign some new contract making him an employee of the band rather than a partner. Axl has talked about it in an interview. Something about Izzy not moving around on stage enough.  Roll Eyes

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »

I'm going to be meeting Duff tomorrow, he is doing a signing session in Birmingham UK.

And you know what, One.In.A.Million will be wearing his Robin Finck GN'R shirt.  hihi

That won't bother Duff, he or Slash do not have problems with stuff like that.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »

I've seen tons of people with GNR shirts at Slash and Duff shows, big and small-they really are not bothered by it.

libertad
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: