Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:53:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rate GN'R Opening Bands youve seen N' who fit the bill (the most).
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate GN'R Opening Bands youve seen N' who fit the bill (the most).  (Read 5752 times)
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« on: February 21, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »

-Sebastian Bach always fun, great set list N' always a good reception!!
-Skid Row a total powerhouse during the 1990/1991 UYI Tour, almost a twin headliner!
-Sound Garden didn't get the recognition they deserved.
-FNM were uneventful. They came out unannounced in broad daylight N' told every1 to sit N' save their     enegry for GN'R N' Metallica. Would love if B-Foot collaberated w/ them..
-Bullet For My Valentine kind o' grew on me after 3 or 4 shows..
-Mix Master Mike should have brought the Beastie Boys w/ him.
zihuatenajo
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »

I enjoyed Bach at the last show I went to last fenruary in Moncton, NB.
 First time I saw them in Saint John, Nb in 2006 : Bach couldn't make it soo The Trews replaced him for the show ...what a fucking show they put on !!! soo amazing

unfortunately : I've only been to those two shows Sad

God made weed, man made booze : who do you trust ?
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

Skid Row/ Guns N' Roses was my first concert ever at the Nassau Coliseum. I was 14. It was also the first time of what became a trend of Axl being late for concerts. I thought Skid Row was a good opening act. Soundgarden was also a good opening band at MSG. Faith No More was awful at Giants Stadium. The same can be said about Bullet for My Valentine. Faith No More and Bullet for My Valentine did not fit with GNR.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »

Well lets see who have I seen?
Brian May. Pretty damn good but felt strange seeing him open for anyone.
Mix Master Mike. Good at what he does, but not my thing.
Bach was amazing. He is an awesome opener. Really knows how to get a crowd going.
Bullet For My Valentine I actually liked. But I thought they were too loud. lol
Charm City Devils and Rev. Theory. Liked Charm City Devils pretty well. Rev. Threory was pretty lame in my book. Wouldn't mind seeing Charm City Devils do a few more shows with them.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »

I liked a few BFMV songs
How can anyone not like Bach
Papa Roach did pretty well too

Z?phyr
VIP

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »

I really liked Alice in Chains @ 2006 in Nijmegen, first time I saw them with there new singer.
Had my doubts at first as I thought nobody could ever replace Layne, but they nailed it ... what an opener and great band.

"It Ain't Rocket Science"
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »

I will list each opening band I have seen before GN'R and give my honest opinion on them. And I will also include festivals.

The Darkness - In my view, a really good opening band for GN'R. Get's the crowd excited and pumped up in time for the main event. At Rock In Lisbon, it worked really well, and felt all of the fans where genuinely enjoying the Darkness' performance.

Avenged Sevenfold - These guys put on an outstanding show, and are huge GN'R fans themselves. Again, every time I've seen them open, GN'R fans all seemed to be rocking out to their performance, really good openers I feel.

Funeral For A Friend - These guys sucked bigtime, and I really hate them. Thank God this was at a festival (Download 2006) and not an actual GN'R show, not worthy to be on the same stage as Guns in my view.

Bullet For My Valentine - These guys should never have gotten the green light to open for GN'R in my view. Totally different genre in terms of both style and performance, and I feel these guys were lost on stage. They opened the 2006 UK tour for GN'R, and every show it got worst for me, a complete waste of everyones time. I'd have been happier for Bach to open the whole tour, with an extended time slot.

Phantom Planet - these guys opened one of GN'Rs Vegas shows, and they were terrible. The band were completely lost onstage, and it seemed like the whole accasion was just too big for them, a shame really.

Sebastian Bach -  In my view the best opener Guns have ever had really. The whole package, he knows how to entertain and is just everyones best friend. He talks to the audience alot generally, and sets the stage up nicely for GN'R.

Towers Of London - I like this band, and they have the same attitude as alot of hollywood bands. They are all good musicians, and always try to put on a good show. I don't have any complaints about these really, just a good band.

Hoobestank - I was surprised, but I liked these guys. They talked to the crowd alot and seemed to be playing the whole performance by ear, which is always fun. These also opened in Vegas, and have only opened once I believe.

Queens Of The Stone Age - complete crap, sorry, when you are waiting for Guns N' Roses these guys just make you want them more and more. A complete waste of any GN'R fans time, utterly crap in my view.

Murderdolls - I like these guys, because they seemed to try really hard onstage. But due to the genre being too different to GN'R, I feel they were lost on a good portion of the fans. But I like them myself, definitely not the worst.

Danko Jones - Danko is a very good performer, who truely appreciates being onstage, let alone opening for Guns. All the times I saw him, he came across really well to the audience, and the performance got better and better as the tour rolled on.

Imperial State Electric - This band reminded me alot of the Towers, but never came across as good as the Towers did. They need to work on their overall stage presence, but they were fun for the crowd before GN'R took to the stage.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:38:26 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:49:45 PM »

Cool thread. 
I've been to 4 GNR shows (all provided memories I will have with me until I'm an ol' bag o' bones!)

GNR, Metallica, Faith No More  Buffalo, '92
GNR, Mixmaster Mike              Boston, '02
GNR, Bullet for my Valentine   NY City Hammerstein, '06
GNR, Papa Roach, Sebastian Bach  E. Rutherford, NJ '06

IMHO, the best opener was Sebastian.  Don't get me wrong, Metallica was excellent back in '92. 
BFMV...I can honestly say I didn't give them a chance.  I was at Hammerstein...almost a 4 year layoff...nobody knew for sure who was replacing Buckethead...nobody knew how Axl would sound, look, or even if he'd show up!  It was surreal.  I had earplugs in for BFMV loud as hell! (as Spinal Tap would say) they had their amps cranked to eleven.  The decibel level was insane!
Mixmaster Mike was one of the most odd openers I could imagine for a GNR show.  I will say I enjoyed him more than BFMV and Faith no More though.

peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »

Soundgarden was a great opener for GNR

Farid Bak
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »

Blind Melon: It was amazing it was Raining I saw them in Guadalajara Mexico April 23rd, 1993 ., I was soo impressed with Shannon Hoon's Voice and he was pretty funny too he actualy fell on stage because of the rain.
Wihtout a doubt after that I became a fan of that band too
This clip is not from that show but you can get the feeling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3TMMB1lbI

Here Today..
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »

Anyone remember the Pigeons of shit metal.lol

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »

CKY-Didnt like them the first night, but they converted me the second night, went on to see them on their own.
Mix Master Mike-did a good job by spinning Metallica and other songs people wanted to hear, but was really out of place at a hard rock show.
Sebastian Bach-Probably the best opener, Ive seen Sebastian on his own several times.
Bullet for My Valentine-turned me into a fan by the second night.
Papa Roach-Really brought a lot of energy, loved them.
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »

Where is the love for HELMETHuh

westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »

Danko Jones ROCKED!!

How the hell can you not like QOTSA One.In.A.Million.? They would surely not be a waste of mye time  peace

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
w.david rose
Rocker

"I Believe In Israel"- W.AXL ROSE 13.06.06

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 02:49:26 AM »

Baz is the best!

the most sick fan in the middle east
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »

Thats right I forgot about CKY. They seemed to like being there but I didn't care for them either.
I would have to say one of the best ones was that street performer Axl had come the one night at Hammerstein. lol He was actually really fun to watch.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »

Amen @Leeds 2002  ok  Kind of developed a soft spot for 'em and got to "Duet" with Cassy Chaos at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth much to my daughter's disgust (didn't get an autograph  Lips Sealed)  

Mind you after them on the day, Slipknot (best festival show for stage technical greatness) , Offspring, NoFX, Prodigy, Incubus (crap) 100 reasons and Puddle of Mudd

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 08:50:54 AM »

Skid Row was the best one, probably Metallica the second one, then the Sebastian Bach band, Danko Jones was great as well... Don't care much about Soundgarden, not my style.. Faith No More are good, not great, but still pretty good, but their frontman kinda has some kind of disease in his brain (i dont get why people call him a Genius, he's the opposite of a Genius). It would be cool to see FNM opening for GNR though.

Avenged Sevenfold would be great! Maybe Motorhead! Maybe Rage Against the Machine, they're totally different than GNR but they're cool and they're respected.

But the perfect match would be either Motley Crue or Van Halen... there's no better than that.

Guns and Motley or Guns n Van Halen on the same show. That would be awesome! crying

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »

Anyone remember the Pigeons of shit metal.lol

LOL! U know whats funny? that was actually a good promotion for them, as i went to check their cds (i didnt know them before the rant), i didnt last too long listening to their cd though, as it sucked...

Oh My God i cant deny this...
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »

I didn't like Imperial state electric,
every one of their songs sounded the same.
and they had nog stage pressence.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: