Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Make Surprise Super Bowl Halftime Appearance
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Make Surprise Super Bowl Halftime Appearance  (Read 25783 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »

Most of the press today has said the performance was terrible, with some calling it the worst in Super Bowl history. The only positive article I have seen is the Billboard one...

Yeah, the press seems to be mostly negative, but MTV had a positive one as well. 

It's also opening him up for other criticism -- this from the Washington Post:

By appearing during a Super Bowl halftime show, Slash made his recent judgmental comments about "Glee" seem even more ludicrous. Dude, people who live on stadium stages with the Black Eyed Peas should not cast stones at Chris Colfer and co.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »

I think the people rooting for Slash to fail are totally underestimating the fact the he clearly doesn't care what they think. Even if he somehow didn't have a finger on the pulse of fan reaction, I'm sure those close to him would have let him know this wouldn't be a popular move. Hell he has played with BEP before, and it wasn't exactly to rave reviews.

People killed the fact that he played with Michael Jackson back in the day, but I'm sure he's psyched he jumped at that opportunity, especially now that MJ has passed. He clearly enjoys playing/working with Fergie, and has said he lives for playing live. Maybe he was mostly excited about playing a Super Bowl? Who knows, who cares what his reasons. People will find a reason to bitch about anything.

The halftime show was a trainwreck, and you know what? We should probably get used to it, because if I had to guess, chances are most halftime shows in the future are gonna suck, because terrible music rules the airwaves these days. You should be praying for people like Slash to be injecting themselves into these gigs, otherwise get used to American Idol halftimes. I'd have liked to have seen Axl or Alice Cooper or anyone parachute in huzzing grenades at the BEP and take over the show. Slash just didn't have enough backup to make a dent. Should be all hands on deck.
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »

Seriously, if you think Christina Aguilera isn't a great singer, you have no brains. Her music is often questionable, but the voice is undeniable.

I thought she butchered The National Anthem.   I even read that she sang some of the words wrong.  I personally thought her performance had absolutely no soul and was completely stale.  I also blame her for a lot of what is wrong with music these days.   She just tries to do that whole diva thing with her voice and it just sounds lame.  I think music really took a shit, in general, once she came along. 

I thought the Slash thing at Halftime was pretty lame.   I think it's funny that he didn't want to do GLEE, but he went and played a GNR song with these clowns.  Fergie sounded horrible, she didn't wear her hot thong outfit(how PC), and the other guys had auto-tune.  Definitely lost some respect for Slash.   Slash didn't even really need to be there.   He didn't do much afterwards and was buried in the mix.  The version of SCOM totally sucked too. 
Dave Jenno
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »

Shockingly bad........that was horrific. Good opportunity to promote his new solo stuff and he does that. If that was his only option and it was SCOM or nothing, he should've said no. Embarassing to watch. And that silver hat.............. Huh
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »

I think the people rooting for Slash to fail are totally underestimating the fact the he clearly doesn't care what they think. Even if he somehow didn't have a finger on the pulse of fan reaction, I'm sure those close to him would have let him know this wouldn't be a popular move. Hell he has played with BEP before, and it wasn't exactly to rave reviews.

People killed the fact that he played with Michael Jackson back in the day, but I'm sure he's psyched he jumped at that opportunity, especially now that MJ has passed. He clearly enjoys playing/working with Fergie, and has said he lives for playing live. Maybe he was mostly excited about playing a Super Bowl? Who knows, who cares what his reasons. People will find a reason to bitch about anything.

The halftime show was a trainwreck, and you know what? We should probably get used to it, because if I had to guess, chances are most halftime shows in the future are gonna suck, because terrible music rules the airwaves these days. You should be praying for people like Slash to be injecting themselves into these gigs, otherwise get used to American Idol halftimes. I'd have liked to have seen Axl or Alice Cooper or anyone parachute in huzzing grenades at the BEP and take over the show. Slash just didn't have enough backup to make a dent. Should be all hands on deck.
Pretty much sums up the way I feel.  The performance was god awful, the entire thing.  I think in the past a lot of the halftime performances were pre-recorded or the artists played to track.  Well last night it was quite apparent that they were live, and the mix was just awful.  I mean, I'm no Black Eyed Peas fan, but I've heard they put on a pretty good show and they sound good while doing it.  And I've heard Fergie sing SCOM much better before.  She is capable.  It just didn't happen last night.

And as for Slash's involvement in the whole thing.  He's friends with Fergie and he's played with them before.  He loves to play and pretty much doesn't say no to anything.  So we shouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.  His reputation, nor the BEP's, will be tarnished by that awful performamance.  they will remain popular.  It's what is popular today.  You don't have to like it, but it's the way it is.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »

Well, shit.  It was one little minute in a half time show, people!  That's all - that's it.  Great hat, btw!   
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2011, 01:32:42 AM »

Christina is actually a fantastic singer, and one of the best singers of our time in her genre.  She is very talented.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2011, 04:51:38 AM »

Christina is actually a fantastic singer, and one of the best singers of our time in her genre.  She is very talented.

I completely agree. I don't even want to read what was said previously. Yeah, she messed up a line.  It has to be so completely overwhelming to be singing "a cappella" in front of over 100 million people  I would have been scared to death.  I thought she did one hell of an awesome job!  She truly does have a great voice.     
Annie
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »

Most of the press today has said the performance was terrible, with some calling it the worst in Super Bowl history. The only positive article I have seen is the Billboard one...

Yeah, the press seems to be mostly negative, but MTV had a positive one as well. 

It's also opening him up for other criticism -- this from the Washington Post:

By appearing during a Super Bowl halftime show, Slash made his recent judgmental comments about "Glee" seem even more ludicrous. Dude, people who live on stadium stages with the Black Eyed Peas should not cast stones at Chris Colfer and co.

There is a certain irony that he took part in a very GLEEIFIED performance of SCOM, and that GLEE was on after the game on FOX. I still love the hat though.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2011, 09:28:10 AM »

and whola, everybody talking about Slash again  ok

Re-Union time, baby!!
muttley
Opening Act

« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »

another let down. simple.

lowercase.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »

From Rolling Stone:

Oh, and the less we say about Slash turning up to play a bit of "Sweet Child O' Mine" with Fergie, the better. Let's just put it this way: If he's willing to do something this outrageously cheesy, he should reconsider his stance against Glee.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/black-eyed-peas-perform-futuristic-sci-fi-spectacle-at-super-bowl-halftime-show-20110207

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »

I agree. It's too bad her career has been so badly managed since her second album. If she had Britney's manager, she would be ruling the world.

Also this is sad....

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2011, 12:15:52 AM »

You know, even though the sound mix on SCOM was horrible at the Super Bowl, it was so cool IMO to see a rock icon who I love on the halftime show. Of course anyone can find fault with a thousand different things about the halftime, but I just loved seeing Slash and his appearance just legitimizes him and his music outside of GNR. As for Fergie, I don't care what anyone says, she is hot!  And she was at her best with Slash, the sexy beast all over him, whereas with the BEP she was just ordinary. I think people should back off and just enjoy the treat. You think 20 years ago the NFL would bring a rock n'roller who is an ex-junkie, ex-alcoholic to THE most popular sporting event in America? Come on, man, quit complaining and just enjoy. And did I mention that Fergie is fucking hot?

And further,  I saw Slash opening for Ozzy a couple of weeks back. The crowd sort of filtered in and dug Slash's solo stuff, but then when he went into a GNR segment the audience went wild. I mean wild. GNR and its music lives on, and that is precisely why Slash has integrated so many of AFD into his set list.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2011, 12:21:23 AM »

And further,  I saw Slash opening for Ozzy a couple of weeks back. The crowd sort of filtered in and dug Slash's solo stuff, but then when he went into a GNR segment the audience went wild. I mean wild. GNR and its music lives on, and that is precisely why Slash has integrated so many of AFD into his set list.

That is one way of putting it.

I can think of another.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2011, 04:38:33 AM »

Seriously, if you think Christina Aguilera isn't a great singer, you have no brains. Her music is often questionable, but the voice is undeniable.
see that isn't true though. music is subjective enough where u can't say someone has 'no brains" if they don't like her.

I think her voice is nails on chalkboard. it annoys the living fuck out of me. she sounds great on delicate ballads but her problem is, she over sings way too much and her voice gets all distorted and cat falling into boiling waterish.

NOT AT AXLREZNOR, QUOTE OVER:

new thoughts:

I like the back handed digs at Slash's solo work. no shit people are going to go more nuts for GNR stuff. AFD is only the greatest rock CD of all time. At any concert,regardless of the band, people go way more nuts for AFD than anything else.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:44:03 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »

I have literally just watched the performance and it's just what I expected to be honest. The typical crappy Slash/Fergie performance, does Slash think this is cool or something. This is why I at least respect Duff, Matt and even Steven, I doubt they would do this with a group as crappy as the Peas.

Slash got what he wanted, worldwide exposure but was it worth it at the expense of raping a classic song?.

And I'm not even talking about Slash's performance, he seemed to play quite well. But any GN'R song should not be made available to idiots like the Peas to butcher and to shout over. When a GN'R fan watches that, they should detest it because of the pure carelessness for the feel and approach of the original.

No one can sing like Axl, so Slash shouldn't be allowing people like Fergie to attempt to screach along to one of GN'R's classics, period.  ok
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:15:47 AM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »

I thought the halftime thing sucked but, to be fair, Slash has every right to promote himself in any way he can. I also think it's a smart move. Can anyone tell me how many guitarists, especially from the classic old-Guns era, are household names? How many of these guys are riding strong careers today, can show up wherever they want, and cause a stir, good or bad? A lot of those guys can't even get jobs in a record store, if they're lucky. Slash made it this far by making himself flexible who he plays with and what he plays with them. Sure, there is a 'sell-out' vibe to the whole thing. Should he have just retired and gone to work at a gas station after AFD? Give me a break people, shameless self promotion is what keeps perpetuating Slash's career, and there is nothing wrong with that. SLASH GOTTA EAT!
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »

This is why I at least respect Duff, Matt and even Steven, I doubt they would do this with a group as crappy as the Peas.

Any of them would have done it in a heartbeat. Smiley
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »

This is why I at least respect Duff, Matt and even Steven, I doubt they would do this with a group as crappy as the Peas.

Any of them would have done it in a heartbeat. Smiley

Agreed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: