Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:36:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Make Surprise Super Bowl Halftime Appearance
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Make Surprise Super Bowl Halftime Appearance  (Read 25820 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »

Yeah, D. I thought aside from one track it was terrible.

I don't get the exposure angle. Why not play "Beautiful Dangerous" if the goal was to market something? Cranking out "Sweet Child" was just a high risk/low reward choice.

The Black-Eyed Peas have been known to use a section of SCOM in their live performances in the past, and seeing as it was first and foremost a Black-Eyed Peas performance, it was probably their call. Just use the same section of the song as they always use and incorporate it in with their own material.
I would have preferred them to play Beautiful Dangerous, too... and if it was "Slash featuring Fergie", they'd have probably done both songs in their entirety, as well as Barracuda or soething.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »

I don't get the exposure angle. Why not play "Beautiful Dangerous" if the goal was to market something? Cranking out "Sweet Child" was just a high risk/low reward choice.

I thought the idea of having multiple singers, most of whom were well past their prime sing on his album was destined to fail. Give the guy a grammy! He managed to make Kid Rock and Adam Levine sound good! I hate the fact that I enjoy those two songs.

Axl did plenty of collaborations too, back before he became a recluse all those years. I personally enjoyed most of them, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who didn't. Can't please everyone, and I'm sure neither he, or Slash are trying.

I like the idea of collaborations for live performances, but unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of young talent to be excited about today. Back in the day it was great to see a young GNR get up with Aerosmith, Cooper etc. Don't have those options today, maybe I'm just an old fart. I won't be listening to last nights Slash/Fergie performance on my ipod anytime soon, but I'm not going to throw out my GNR records either.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »

I thought the idea of having multiple singers, most of whom were well past their prime sing on his album was destined to fail. Give the guy a grammy! He managed to make Kid Rock and Adam Levine sound good! I hate the fact that I enjoy those two songs.

Axl did plenty of collaborations too, back before he became a recluse all those years. I personally enjoyed most of them, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who didn't. Can't please everyone, and I'm sure neither he, or Slash are trying.

I like the idea of collaborations for live performances, but unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of young talent to be excited about today. Back in the day it was great to see a young GNR get up with Aerosmith, Cooper etc. Don't have those options today, maybe I'm just an old fart. I won't be listening to last nights Slash/Fergie performance on my ipod anytime soon, but I'm not going to throw out my GNR records either.

I agree a lot with what you say. Thinking back when Axl/Izzy jammed with the Stones was such a trip. I still listen to "Salt of the Earth" and have chills. Never throw out your GnR records, but it is still sad to witness a hero continue to stumble in his post GnR career.

Axl and the Killers or the Stripes would be interesting. To this day, I think Buckethead needs a vocalist like Axl to round out his music.

In my opinion, Slash should avoid these R&B groups: he should not play with Jaime Foxx, BEP, Diddily, Dudley, or L'il Franco.....whomever. 

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2011, 10:11:41 AM »

That Salt of the Earth track is gold.
haha, yeah I hear ya, I'd much rather see the rockers stick together. Leave the ear raping to BEP, Lil Wayne etc. They've mastered the art.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »

Stick to discussing the so called half time show.

It has nothing to do with GN'R. Don't try to change the subject.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2011, 10:48:32 AM »

Just want to add that yesterdays half time show was so bad. That was embarrassing. I was particularly embarrassed for Slash. Cool he was there you know but holy fuck when will he get how fucking goofy his teaming with fucking Fergie is. I was embarrassed just listening to that horrid version with PC that is on Slash's album with Fergie and B-Real. Now this. This was just the icing. How fucking ridiculous. Fergie trying even harder to sing a GN'R song like Axl. Man that was seriously one of the worst pieces of shit performances I have ever seen. Fucking Amateur hour. Good job looking like a douche again Slash. Fuck Axl must have been laughing so fucking hard.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »

its not his call though dude. plus u got 100 thousand people and billions around the world, a very small percentage have ever heard Beautiful Dangerous. He got the call, asked if he would want to do SCOM, no discussion. it was SCOM or bust.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »

Just want to add that yesterdays half time show was so bad. That was embarrassing. I was particularly embarrassed for Slash. Cool he was there you know but holy fuck when will he get how fucking goofy his teaming with fucking Fergie is. I was embarrassed just listening to that horrid version with PC that is on Slash's album with Fergie and B-Real. Now this. This was just the icing. How fucking ridiculous. Fergie trying even harder to sing a GN'R song like Axl. Man that was seriously one of the worst pieces of shit performances I have ever seen. Fucking Amateur hour. Good job looking like a douche again Slash. Fuck Axl must have been laughing so fucking hard.

Yeah, fully agree, on Axl's birthday too, what a gift eh..... Still, at least Slash put on his party hat  rofl

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »

i very rarely post anymore cos of threads like this.
He is a guitar player and he likes to play the guitar... i dont see why thats so shocking.

Personally, I like a lot of Slash's music and some of his jam's with other musicians. But, I dont like all his music or jams.

Whats really annoying is when people act all hysterical about it.  Wink

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
sandman
Legend

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2011, 12:14:20 PM »

it was interesting to see comments from all my "friends" on FB about Slash. VERY negative! the general theme was he let people down and how could he destroy a classic song like that.

it's not surprising that Axl was trending because i've seen a number of comments that mentioned Axl is a very positive manner...much like that article someone posted from a dallas newspaper. i got a few texts from friends asking something like "is axl about to kill someone or is he just getting a laugh out of all this?"  rofl

i just replied i have no idea, but that was disgusting.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »

not to toot my own horn, but i  thought i had a brilliant FB post after the game.

who is more pissed off: Axl Rose or Brett Favre hihi

most responses were Axl Rose. very pro Axl on that one. ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »

its not his call though dude. plus u got 100 thousand people and billions around the world, a very small percentage have ever heard Beautiful Dangerous. He got the call, asked if he would want to do SCOM, no discussion. it was SCOM or bust.

Then bust, my friend.

Some things are more sacred than a commercial for the masses.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Annie
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2011, 01:58:50 PM »

I didn't think the show was all that bad. It did remind me of the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I thought Fergie's voice was a little weak for SCOM. My Mom did not understand why Slash was there, she thought his performance was irrelevant. Not bad, just that he really did not belong there. I think it made people remember how awesome Axl is on his Bday! peace
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2011, 03:12:34 PM »

Guns N? Peas Is Where The Trajectory Of Man Began Its Steady Decline

http://deadspin.com/#!5754095/guns-n-peas-is-where-the-trajectory-of-man-began-its-steady-decline

So the Black Eyed Peas covered "Sweet Child O Mine" at the Super Bowl last night, with Slash helping out on guitar. First of all, FUCK YOU SLASH. You just spent the last bit of goodwill you earned from NOT being Axl. Secondly, the journey to our eventual self-extinction has begun.

Let's face it. We all know that, thanks to pollution and war and overpopulation, we will eventually end up destroying our species. But the video linked here represents the exact moment the doomsday clock was activated. We aren't going to advance any further now. We aren't going to invent nanobots or flying cars or hang out with aliens. There won't be world peace. We aren't going to invent clean energy. That isn't going to happen now. What's going to happen is that everything will get worse and then we will all die. The world will commit suicide. AND FERGIE IS TO BLAME.

There is so much awfulness packed into so few minutes here. The density of it is impossible to comprehend. It's like a neutron star of suck. Fergie can't sing. What's worse, she's trying to sing like Axl and failing miserably. Hearing her try to sing this song live is even worse than Axl himself trying to sing it live. And she's wearing Lite Brite shoulder pads, which was undoubtedly suggested to her by "Glee" creator" Ryan Murphy in a brazen attempt to turn all football fans gay. And she's wearing acrylic nails on loan from her local Key Food cashier. And Slash is wearing a sparkly top hat and skinny jeans and Hitler boots. And there are paid drones on the field jumping up and down like fucking idiots because they were paid four bucks and a box of Barnum's Animals to do so.

I hate that we allowed something like this to happen. I really do. I feel like this is the end of human ideas. We've had all the good ideas we're ever gonna have, and now all that's left is to wait for the end, watch multiple reboots of "Spiderman," and listen as Fergie warbles on like a dying toucan and a bunch of idiots in light suits try and recreate the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremonies. This is what we've come to, Earth. Are you happy about this? Because I am not. I'm going to go to the store and buy bread and milk and hope that civilization ends before someone lets this horrible, abominable, disgusting musical group do a cover of "99 Luftballoons".
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »

Guns N? Peas Is Where The Trajectory Of Man Began Its Steady Decline

http://deadspin.com/#!5754095/guns-n-peas-is-where-the-trajectory-of-man-began-its-steady-decline

So the Black Eyed Peas covered "Sweet Child O Mine" at the Super Bowl last night, with Slash helping out on guitar. First of all, FUCK YOU SLASH. You just spent the last bit of goodwill you earned from NOT being Axl. Secondly, the journey to our eventual self-extinction has begun.

Let's face it. We all know that, thanks to pollution and war and overpopulation, we will eventually end up destroying our species. But the video linked here represents the exact moment the doomsday clock was activated. We aren't going to advance any further now. We aren't going to invent nanobots or flying cars or hang out with aliens. There won't be world peace. We aren't going to invent clean energy. That isn't going to happen now. What's going to happen is that everything will get worse and then we will all die. The world will commit suicide. AND FERGIE IS TO BLAME.

There is so much awfulness packed into so few minutes here. The density of it is impossible to comprehend. It's like a neutron star of suck. Fergie can't sing. What's worse, she's trying to sing like Axl and failing miserably. Hearing her try to sing this song live is even worse than Axl himself trying to sing it live. And she's wearing Lite Brite shoulder pads, which was undoubtedly suggested to her by "Glee" creator" Ryan Murphy in a brazen attempt to turn all football fans gay. And she's wearing acrylic nails on loan from her local Key Food cashier. And Slash is wearing a sparkly top hat and skinny jeans and Hitler boots. And there are paid drones on the field jumping up and down like fucking idiots because they were paid four bucks and a box of Barnum's Animals to do so.

I hate that we allowed something like this to happen. I really do. I feel like this is the end of human ideas. We've had all the good ideas we're ever gonna have, and now all that's left is to wait for the end, watch multiple reboots of "Spiderman," and listen as Fergie warbles on like a dying toucan and a bunch of idiots in light suits try and recreate the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremonies. This is what we've come to, Earth. Are you happy about this? Because I am not. I'm going to go to the store and buy bread and milk and hope that civilization ends before someone lets this horrible, abominable, disgusting musical group do a cover of "99 Luftballoons".

Eh, the title's funny.

I prefer the "Fergie and Slash rape a 'Sweet Child' though.
Fergie's voice is pretty masculine/scary live, didn't think it was as god awful on Beautiful Dangerous. No complaints on her looks, or dancing though.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »

Fergie says Super Bowl performance was 'pitchy,'

Fergie says she felt part of her performance at the 2011 Super Bowl on Sunday was "pitchy."

During the halftime show, she and her hip hop group, the Black Eyed Peas, performed a medley of their songs, while Fergie also sang "Sweet Child of Mine" with Slash, former guitarist of the rock back Guns N' Roses, which spurred the hit song in the 1980s.

Some of my notes were pitchy to me," Fergie said on Dan Patrick's syndicated radio show. "That was just over the excitement. I was nervous. It was so exhilarating. That's a once in the lifetime thing. It was just so exciting."

"Axl is one of my vocal idols," she added, referring to Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose." I've emulated him for years. I'm performed songs with Slash before. It was just fun. It's such a huge venue."

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Fergie-says-Super-Bowl-performance-was-pitchy--defends-Christina-Aguilera/7944333

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2011, 04:52:38 PM »

Most of the press today has said the performance was terrible, with some calling it the worst in Super Bowl history. The only positive article I have seen is the Billboard one, but they typically don't write negative articles. Yahoo Sports, MSN, Sports Illustrated, Bleacher Report, and most of the blogs at SB Nation have been VERY negative.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »

Fergie about Aguilera > "She's one of the best singers of our time and nobody can take that away from her. "

so, she has no brains neither, to say such a stupid thing.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »

Seriously, if you think Christina Aguilera isn't a great singer, you have no brains. Her music is often questionable, but the voice is undeniable.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »

to me she's a product. like mariah carey, celine dion and a lot others.
having some technical abilities to sing doesn't make you "one of the best singer of your time".

Bjork is, for example.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: