Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 01:59:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 174282 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #760 on: October 29, 2011, 10:00:16 PM »

I'd say that puts Tony La Russa at the top for greatest manager of my lifetime.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #761 on: October 30, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »

I'd say that puts Tony La Russa at the top for greatest manager of my lifetime.

Speaking of TLR, he'll be on Lettermen tomorrow night - Monday, Oct 31st.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
sandman
Legend

« Reply #762 on: October 31, 2011, 07:03:27 AM »

hey Falcon - congrats man! what a ride!

pujols just added to his resume. one of the all-time greats.

the phillies have been eliminated by the WS champion in each of the last three years (since they won it in 2008).

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #763 on: October 31, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »

Breaking News:

Tony LaRussa has retired as St Louis Cardinal manager.

Listening to the presser online now, going out on top as he should.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #764 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »

hey Falcon - congrats man! what a ride!

pujols just added to his resume. one of the all-time greats.

Thank you sandman, without your Phillies being the pros they are and playing the right way at Atlanta to end the season this never would have happened.

And yes, another superlative to AP's resume, he's in the conversation with Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, Williams etc - pretty good company for sure.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #765 on: October 31, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

Congrats Falcon... awesome series.

On the Buckner/Cruz comparisons, while Buckner's error was clearly on a much easier play (and beyond embarrassing), I'd say that the magnitude of Cruz's misplay was greater because if he makes that catch, Rangers are champs, whereas if Buckner makes the play, the game would still have been tied.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #766 on: October 31, 2011, 01:16:24 PM »

Congrats Falcon... awesome series.

Thank you George, a wild ride for sure.

Listening to alot of the TLR retiring aftermath - intriguing stuff.

His run as Cards manager is unprecedented, absolutely incredible.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #767 on: October 31, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »

Well in 5 years we can expect TLR to get the call from Cooperstown. He's a first ballot entry without a doubt in my mind.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #768 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »

Well in 5 years we can expect TLR to get the call from Cooperstown. He's a first ballot entry without a doubt in my mind.

For sure.

A few facts about his run in St. Louis:

During La Russa's 16 seasons as the STL manager, the Cardinals made the playoffs nine times, winning three NL pennants and two World Series. The three pennants were the most by a National League team over the last 16 years. The Cardinals' 50 postseason wins over the last 16 years are the most in the NL.  Their 12 postseason series wins are No. 1 in the NL over the last 16 years. Moreover, the Cardinals ranked second in the NL and fourth in the majors in regular-season wins over the last 16 seasons.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_8f0b1a02-03d1-11e1-9cbc-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1cODFo5rB

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #769 on: October 31, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »

That's impressive. I've always liked him even back to his Oakland days. The way it looks right now TLR and Torre could be inducted in back to back years with Torre being one year ahead. He's also a first ballot entry. You can't ignore his Yankees run. What he did in 12 years is just as impressive as TLR.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #770 on: October 31, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »

That's impressive. I've always liked him even back to his Oakland days. The way it looks right now TLR and Torre could be inducted in back to back years with Torre being one year ahead. He's also a first ballot entry. You can't ignore his Yankees run. What he did in 12 years is just as impressive as TLR.

No question, Torre is a sure fire first ballot guy - one of my favorites and a former Cardinal MVP I might add Wink

Tony went out on his own terms with his legacy secured.

Successor names are running fast and furious with Tampa's Joe Maddon the early front runner. 

Other names we'll here will be current Cards coach Jose Oquendo (Albert's chief mentor beyond TLR) and former Cards coach/executive Jim Riggleman, a man who learned "The Cardinal Way" at the feet of the legendary George Kissell and Whitey Herzog.

Don't be surprised to hear Terry Francona's name in the mix as well.

Pitching Coach Dave Duncan is under contract for another year and is expected to announce his future plans tonight.  Keep in mind Duncan's wife is in recovery from a recent major surgical procedure in relation to her ongoing battle with cancer so his tenure in St Louis may be ending as well.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:27:37 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #771 on: October 31, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »

No question, Torre is a sure fire first ballot guy - one of my favorites and a former Cardinal MVP I might add Wink

Tony went out on his own terms with his legacy secured.

Successor names are running fast and furious with Tampa's Joe Maddon the early front runner. 

Other names we'll here will be current Cards coach Jose Oquendo (Albert's chief mentor beyond TLR) and former Cards coach/executive Jim Riggleman, a man who learned "The Cardinal Way" at the feet of the legendary George Kissell and Whitey Herzog.

Don't be surprised to here Terry Francona's name in the mix as well.

Pitching Coach Dave Duncan is under contract for another year and is expected to announce his future plans tonight.  Keep in mind Duncan's wife is in recovery from a recent major surgical procedure in relation to her ongoing battle with cancer so his tenure in St Louis may be ending as well.

Yeah, i love Torre one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet from what i've heard.

Hmm, Maddon would be a good fit i think. The guy is a great manager. I could see Francona being in the mix too another very good manager.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan walk away too due to the condition of his wife. He'll likely want to spend as much time with her as possible.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #772 on: October 31, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan walk away too due to the condition of his wife. He'll likely want to spend as much time with her as possible.

Not surprising at all, and who could blame him?

Just heard an interesting back and forth with Bob Costas and Tom Verducci on MLB Hot Stove discussing Duncan's chances at the HOF as a pure pitching coach, both agreed it would be a distinct possibility.

On another MLB Network note, they will be airing a 1 hour network special with TLR being interviewed by Costas tomorrow night at 6pm Central.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #773 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »

Not surprising at all, and who could blame him?

Just heard an interesting back and forth with Bob Costas and Tom Verducci on MLB Hot Stove discussing Duncan's chances at the HOF as a pure pitching coach, both agreed it would be a distinct possibility.

On another MLB Network note, they will be airing a 1 hour network special with TLR being interviewed by Costas tomorrow night at 6pm Central.

Anyone that would blame him for leaving under the circumstances has no soul. If it were me in that situation i would leave and not regret it for a second.

I could definitely see that being possible. Dave is an excellent pitching coach.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #774 on: October 31, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »

Good news for CC and the Yanks, nice to see them get an extension worked out.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #775 on: October 31, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »

Dave Duncan just announced his wife is doing much better and he fully intends to be the pitching coach of the Cardinals moving forward regardless of who is hired to replace TLR.

A few more interesting nuggets, the Rays may not be willing to allow the Cards permission to speak with Joe Maddon unless a tentative compensation deal is disussed beforehand.

Also, there is growing sentiment within the local Cards media that Mark McGwire will be interviewed for the managers vacancy if he so desires.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:53:13 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #776 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:06 PM »

Good news for CC and the Yanks, nice to see them get an extension worked out.

Just as i anticipated. I never thought he would opt out and i never expected him to leave. He has made it very clear he and his family love New York and wanted to stay.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #777 on: October 31, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »

The Fielding Bible Award winners are in:

http://www.fieldingbible.com/the-winners.asp

C ? Matt Wieters, Orioles
 1B ? Albert Pujols, Cardinals
 2B ? Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox
 SS ? Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies
 3B ? Adrian Beltre, Rangers
 LF ? Brett Gardner, Yankees
 CF ? Austin Jackson, Tigers
 RF ? Justin Upton, Diamondbacks
 P ? Mark Buehrle, White Sox

As opposed to the Gold Glove "Finalists" announced today:

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/10/31/espn2-to-televise-first-ever-rawlings-gold-glove-awards-show/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #778 on: November 01, 2011, 12:09:30 AM »

For some reason I can see Pujols,La Russa joining Theo in Chicago.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #779 on: November 01, 2011, 10:04:41 AM »

For some reason I can see Pujols,La Russa joining Theo in Chicago.

hihi

C'mon, what are you doing?  I don't know if you're serious or just trolling Falcon for kicks, but either way -- too soon!  Gotta allow at least a one week World Series honeymoon.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: