Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 184867 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #500 on: September 26, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »

I have to wonder how hard the Yankees will try against the Rays. I can't seem them very eager to try and help the Sox out.

I can pretty much answer that question:

Colon is slotted to throw between 60-80 pitches today...that's IT.

Tomorrow: Hector Noesi is starting

Wednesday: Game will be pitched by "Bobby Bullpen".

Given the starters Girardi is throwing out there (or the "conditions" on Colon tonight), I wouldn't expect the Yanks to win many (any) of those games.

I'd also venture that the Yanks are resting most, if not all, their regular position players tonight after the long day yesterday.  They got into Tampa about 5:30 AM, this morning.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #501 on: September 26, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »

I've never seen a pitcher, or any player for that matter blame his teammates more than Lackey. It's mind blowing to me. He doesn't exactly have scrubs playing behind him. You don't see anyone pointing their fingers back when he's putting together the worst statistical season of any pitcher in Red Sox history. There is only so much the position players can do when you're throwing (not very) fast balls, and hanging breaking balls right down broadway.

If it were anyone else, I may feel bad for him. He really never had a chance over here. His success came pitching in one of the worst divisions in MLB. His stuff simply isn't very good. He is the Sox version of Burnett. AJ has been a bust, but at least he has filthy stuff. Just can't locate consistently. Lackey can't locate consistently, and even when he does, he's not going to overpower anybody. I wish he were half as good as his ego seems to be big.

Oh well. I don't blame him for taking the money. Theo should have his head examined for that contract. As bad as it looks now, imagine how it'll look as his velocity decreases.

Sox still have a great team, and if they back into the playoffs could still be very dangerous, but my gripes with Theo are the same as when these deals went down.

Letting Bay, Gonzalez and V Mart walk, and signing Crawford and Lackey.
Lackey for all the reasons mentioned. I like Crawford, but there was no obvious need for him, unless Sox were worried about Jacoby coming back from injury. You can start the bidding at 142+ for Ells next contract. Bay's swing was built for Fenway, and he proved he could thrive in the pressure of Boston. Can't overlook that. Sure he hasn't been the same, but no one is when they play for the Mets, in that Stadium. Same with Gonzalez. Hit well here, and I've never seen a more underrated defensive SS. The fact that Jeters swimming in Gold Gloves, and A Gon has none is all the proof you need that it's a bull shit award.

Letting V Mart go was the biggest. Clubhouse leader. One of the most consistent hitters in the game. Rakes lefty pitching. The knock is always on the defensive side, but I didnt hear Lee or Sabbathia complaining during their CY Young years. Besides, Salty/Tek is no picnic. V Mart/Salty or V Mart/Tek looks a lot better to me.
Gonzalez/Martinez/Ortiz  would look awfully scary. Scutaro has been better than I expected this year, but he has no range. Theo just can't solve the SS position.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:06:10 PM by LongGoneDay » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #502 on: September 26, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »

I have to wonder how hard the Yankees will try against the Rays. I can't seem them very eager to try and help the Sox out.
True, especially since they have home field wrapped up.  They really have nothing to play for, and they'd probably want to give most of their regulars some much needed rest.  That's why I fully expect Tampa to win at least 2 out of 3, if not sweep.  And you know the Orioles are going to go all out to try and spoil the Sox season.  They already beat them 3 out of 4 last week at Fenway.  This is THEIR World Series, and Buck made it clear he didn't care too much for the Sox or Yankees payroll with his pre-season comments.  So the Sox still have a long way to go. 

The Orioles have been very good lately. I would be scared to play them right now if i were Boston.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #503 on: September 26, 2011, 03:59:25 PM »

Man, John Lackey was just not made to pitch in Boston.  His coming to the Red Sox has been the absolute worst thing for him and the team.  He does not know how to handle the media scrutiny that comes with playing in a large market.  He's had a rough year in his personal life, which has added to the struggles.  At the beginning of the season he was struggling and had that infamous quote after one of his many poor outings, "Everything in my life sucks right now".  Turns out his wife was battling breast cancer and was going through treatment.  Understandable that would take a toll on him.

So yesterday he went out and gave up 3 early runs, but then settled down and kept the Sox within striking distance.  Francona took him out in the 7th after giving up a leadoff single and only throwing 86 pitches or so.  He was not happy and as he always does he showed his displeasure for being taken out of the game.  After the game he defended his shaky first inning performance by saying only ONE ball was hit hard and another "got by" a fielder.  Way to pass blame onto others John.  THEN, he goes onto say that he received an anonymous text message from the media 30 minutes before the game about something very personal in nature.  Turns out today, TMZ is reporting that John has filed for divorce from his wife, who is still battling cancer.

Got all that?  You couldn't make this stuff up.  Just a horrible stay in Boston for Lackey, both on and off the field.  Kind of explains why he's been pitching so badly.  Not to let him off the hook completely, but having your wife sick and at the same time having marital problems with said wife can't help out your morale.  But he just handles himself so badly that it's hard to feel sorry for the guy.

Sounds like a world class jerk. Who ditches their wife while she's fighting for her life.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #504 on: September 27, 2011, 12:21:23 AM »

Nice of Josh Beckett to really step it up tonight when the Sox needed him most.  Giving up 6 ER to the O's in his second straight start.  He and Lester have really SUCKED the last month, along with every other pitcher other than Papelbon and Aceves.  Now there's a tie for the Wild Card and you'd have to give Tampa Bay a HUGE advantage.  I'd be shocked if the Sox made it at this point.  Even if they somehow tie and play a one game playoff, who in the hell would pitch for the Sox?  It probably won't get that far though.  They don't deserve to make the playoffs, they really don't.  Tampa is also a far more imposing team when it comes to October.  They honestly have a shot at making the World Series.  I mean, their lineup is suspect obviously.  But if Longoria and Upton can stay hot, you never know.  Johnny Damon has plenty of magic left in his bat and legs I believe.  But their pitching is solid.  Shields. Price, Hellickson.  Too bad Jeff Niemann is hurt, not sure what his status is.  Wade Davis isn't bad either.  They probably have the best starting pitching as a whole of the playoff teams. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #505 on: September 27, 2011, 01:16:56 AM »

Sox are just an ugly team right now they really don't deserve to win the wild card. Thed by how they are playing.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #506 on: September 27, 2011, 07:51:50 AM »

IF the Sox epic collapse ends up  costing them a spot in the post season....does Francona lose his job?

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #507 on: September 27, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »

IF the Sox epic collapse ends up  costing them a spot in the post season....does Francona lose his job?
it's been a point of dIscussion and he very well might. I don't think he deserves to, but the manager always ends up taking the blame. He's not the one going out there and giving up 6 runs a game. I'd get rid of the pitching coach first, but you have to put the blame where it belongs and that's with the players. Sure it hurts to have lost 2 of your starting 5, but that's not an excuse to play this poorly.

Give them ANY other pitching staff in the month of September and they hold onto the lead. That's how historically bad they've been.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #508 on: September 27, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPKCLO1MGUM

A preview of "Catching Hell", a documentary about the Steve Bartman incident in Chicago comes on ESPN tonight. Looks pretty interesting.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #509 on: September 27, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPKCLO1MGUM

A preview of "Catching Hell", a documentary about the Steve Bartman incident in Chicago comes on ESPN tonight. Looks pretty interesting.
Thanks for the reminder.  Gonna have to DVR that.  Those 30 for 30's are all good.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #510 on: September 27, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »

Adrian Gonzalez was a huge addition. Theo deserves a lot of credit for that trade.
The free agent signings of Lackey and Crawford have really put this team in a bad spot. They aren't solely to blame by any means, but they are both awful contracts so far. Lackeys will continue to be, and probably get worse in my opinion. Crawford could very well rebound. He had been pretty consistent up until this year. At the same time, he's not exactly the most intelligent/disciplined hitter there is. I feel like you don't have to throw him a strike to get him out. He finds ways to do it himself. He's been a disappointment defensively as well compounding the issue.

The Sox need to stop underestimating how tough it is for some players to succeed in Boston.
It should have been a no fucking brainer to keep Victor Martinez here, and a no brainer to keep Lackey as far away from here as possible.
Any one who's ever watched a game would have known Lackey was not going to live up to anywhere near resembling that awful contract. How can Theo and co not see this?
Not only are Lackey and Crawford epic busts thus far, they will undoubtedly keep the Sox from making moves in the future.

All that said, I can't see firing Theo. His good moves outweigh the bads. It just seems like when he misses, he really fucking misses.
Not much Francona can do. Really, his job is to massage egos. Not a lot of X and O's involved managing the Sox.
Not a lot of personnel decisions to be made. His hands are tied. It's up to the players to figure it out.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #511 on: September 27, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »

also don't forget the Youklis injury.. That was a crippling injury to that lineup.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #512 on: September 27, 2011, 11:49:24 AM »

also don't forget the Youklis injury.. That was a crippling injury to that lineup.

Yup. He wasn't right even when he was on the field. He's been playing hurt all year.
Losing him and Bucholz is nothing to sneeze at. To a lesser extent, Drew.
I know people like to downplay his importance, and believe me, I know he's been a disappointment and another bad contract.
That said, he is as solid as they come defensively. He's had awful seasons, and turned it on for the playoffs here before.
Hopefully he will turn it on a little early this year.

Can't afford to have starters failing day in day out, especially when A Gon and Ortiz have all but disappeared as of late.

It's almost comical that it could potentially all come down to Lackey before it's all said and done. Can't make this stuff up!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #513 on: September 27, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »

So the Rays are playing the Yanks?

hahah cmon yanks.. let TB no hit u tonight.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #514 on: September 27, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »

Isn't it just perfect how its played out? The yanks having to beat Tampa to help Boston, um yeah not happening.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #515 on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:46 AM »

Isn't it just perfect how its played out? The yanks having to beat Tampa to help Boston, um yeah not happening.
Boston shouldn't have needed any help.  They had a 9 game lead 3 weeks back.  All they had to do was win 8 games in September.  No help should've been needed. 

Comes down to tomorrow, when the Yankees send their "D" squad out there.  You never know though, I'm sure THOSE guys probably care a little more than even the regulars, as they really had nothing to play for.  And whatever pitchers the Yanks throw out there will most likely be quite unfamiliar to the Rays.

Well, that's about the most positive spin on the situation I could come up with.

I'm telling you though, if the Rays somehow end up beating the Yanks in the ALCS, I don't think you'll be so happy they made it in over the Red Sox.  I mean seriously, who would you rather play at this point?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:09:21 AM by faldor » Logged

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #516 on: September 28, 2011, 02:58:35 AM »

You would have to assume Boston would even survive the ALDS and i wouldn't be betting any money on them right now.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #517 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »

You would think that the Yanks would want to go into the postseason riding some momentum, but I wouldn't blame them for resting some of their older players.
It's not like they are rolling over for the Rays. These guys have pride, or you would hope so. I'm sure Soriano didn't enjoy giving up the game winning bomb to his former team.

Sox are gonna have to win some softball games. Pitching continues to fail for them time and time again.
If they win tonight, our reward is to watch John Lackey in a 1 game playoff. That's like a sick joke. I'd rather watch Dice K throw left handed gyro balls.

As much as I hate to say it, if I were the Yanks I'd want to face Boston given the choice over Tampa, but I'm not sure I see Sox or Yanks getting out of the first round this year.
Like the Sox, Yanks don't have a championship caliber pitching staff.

Tampa on the other hand could back in to the playoffs and win it all with the arms they can throw out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:30:40 AM by LongGoneDay » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #518 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »

Yanks are pitching the underbelly of their bullpen.....even the Rays should be able to put up a decent number of runs.

And who knows what the lineup will be....or how long the starters will stay in.  They've only got ONE day off between the end of the season and the start of the ALDS.  I'm thinking, if you see the "big guns", you won't see them for long.

I'd be shocked if the Yanks won this game.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #519 on: September 28, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »

You would think that the Yanks would want to go into the postseason riding some momentum, but I wouldn't blame them for resting some of their older players.
It's not like they are rolling over for the Rays. These guys have pride, or you would hope so. I'm sure Soriano didn't enjoy giving up the game winning bomb to his former team.

Sox are gonna have to win some softball games. Pitching continues to fail for them time and time again.
If they win tonight, our reward is to watch John Lackey in a 1 game playoff. That's like a sick joke. I'd rather watch Dice K throw left handed gyro balls.

As much as I hate to say it, if I were the Yanks I'd want to face Boston given the choice over Tampa, but I'm not sure I see either team getting out of the first round this year.
Like the Sox, Yanks don't have a championship caliber pitching staff.

Tampa on the other hand could back in to the playoffs and win it all with the arms they can throw out.

IF the Sox go into a 1 game playoff tomorrow, and IF they win...who pitches on Friday at 5 PM?

Beckett on 3 days rest?  Ouch.

Wakefield? Double Ouch.

Then they play again on Sat...and you'll see whichever of the above 2 didn't pitch on Friday.  Triple ouch.

The ONLY team in the AL, in the playoffs, that has a championship caliber pitching staff is Detroit...and they have other issues.  Rays are good, not great.  Yanks are....inconsistent.  Sox rotation, right now, just sucks.

Yanks could beat Texas in a short series.  Detroit would be more challenging, but Leyland has said he WILL NOT pitch Verlander on short rest.  I don't know if I believe him..but he's said it.  That would give the Yanks (you'd think) a bit of an advantage.

But there are 2 NL teams that scare the crap out of me....and I don't think ANY AL team can beat them:  Phillies and Brewers.  If St. Louis gets in and advanced to the WS...they're scary, but I think the winner of the AL could put up a good fight. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:34:02 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: