Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 184822 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #480 on: September 19, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »

Congratulations to mariano rivera on becoming the all time saves leader. The record now belongs to its rightful owner. He's the best ever and deserves this record. I know records are made to be broken but anyone think this could be one that is never touched? We don't even know what his final total will be yet!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #481 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »

I wonder if John Lackey know's that he sucks?
The way he carries himself, it seems like he doesn't know.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #482 on: September 20, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »

Falcon, I don't mean to jinx this for you, but it now looks like BOTH leagues have a team making a late run at the wildcard.  Good luck.   
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #483 on: September 20, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »

Falcon, I don't mean to jinx this for you, but it now looks like BOTH leagues have a team making a late run at the wildcard.  Good luck.   

Thanks George, It's been cool watching meaningful games sorta under the radar while the media focuses more on the Red Sox - Rays.

It's also been fun watching Albert be Albert, the guy's on pace to be north of .300/35/100 for the 11th consecutive year after his un-Albert first two months - incredible.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #484 on: September 20, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »

It's also been fun watching Albert be Albert, the guy's on pace to be north of .300/35/100 for the 11th consecutive year after his un-Albert first two months - incredible.

Yeah, he's still a beast, but the best thing he did all year was a few weeks ago in Milwaukee when he pretended he was going to give a foul ball he caught to a fan and then quickly pulled it back.   hihi 

Do you think he'll be back in St. Louis next year?  After the Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth debacles from last offseason, what will it take to keep him?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #485 on: September 20, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

Yeah, he's still a beast, but the best thing he did all year was a few weeks ago in Milwaukee when he pretended he was going to give a foul ball he caught to a fan and then quickly pulled it back.   hihi 

That was hysterical, the look on the dudes face when Albert did that was priceless.

Do you think he'll be back in St. Louis next year?  After the Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth debacles from last offseason, what will it take to keep him?

I think it's about 60/40 he will stay but that's just speculation on my part, no idea what it will take from the Cards to keep him really.

I don't think the acts of spending idiocy on Crawford and Werth will effect the Pujols market, he's the best player of his generation and the face of baseball who legitimizes anyone he signs with.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #486 on: September 21, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »

The Batting Stance Guy has killed it again, his take on SI's list of baseball's meanest can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwf3-Rx8Z4&feature=share

The ARod take is funny as hell..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #487 on: September 22, 2011, 06:06:08 AM »

Yankees clinch AL East title with a sweep of the Rays.  beer

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #488 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »

Yankees clinch AL East title with a sweep of the Rays.  beer
Plus the fact that the Sox CONTINUE their late season collapse.  Just an awful, awful team right now.  Hopefully the Yankees will hand them a few games this weekend, because they obviously can't win on their own.  At this point though, they'd just get embarrassed in the playoffs.  But not making them would be more embarrassing I suppose, considering they were among the best teams in baseball not too long ago.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #489 on: September 22, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »

Plus the fact that the Sox CONTINUE their late season collapse.  Just an awful, awful team right now.  Hopefully the Yankees will hand them a few games this weekend, because they obviously can't win on their own.  At this point though, they'd just get embarrassed in the playoffs.  But not making them would be more embarrassing I suppose, considering they were among the best teams in baseball not too long ago.

Yanks are still playing to clinch best record in the AL and home field until the WS.

I think they'll take today "off", but I think the Sox are going to see a relatively competitive lineup UNTIL the Yanks drop that magic number (3) to nothing.  Pray Detroit loses if you want the Yanks to go into "Rest mode".  More likely TB benefits from that the last 3 games than the Sox do over this weekend.

And it's not just the Rays that you have to worry about now...the Angels are now only 2 losses out of the WC, too.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #490 on: September 22, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »

As much as the Sox suck right now, and they really suck bad, anything can happen in the playoffs.
The Sox would be throwing out Beckett and Lester, who have the potential to be as good if not better than any other 1-2 in MLB.
Hopefully they take Lackey out back and put him and us out of his misery. Bedard has potential to go either way.
Sox lineup can hit with anyone if they can get it together.

I'd much rather see Sox make the postseason, even if it's to bow out first round, then to see them complete the collapse.
Beckett has proven in the playoffs time and time again that he alone can carry a team. Ortiz postseason stats aren't anything to sneeze at either.
I'd like them to have their say.
Just hoping they wake up fast.

MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #491 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59:59 PM »

As much as the Sox suck right now, and they really suck bad, anything can happen in the playoffs.

That is very true. Just have to take on game at time. After the 2004 playoffs when the Yankees were up 3-0 and went on to lose the series 4-3.  Embarrassed

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2011, 01:51:20 AM »

Sox ended up making out pretty good NOT playing tonight, as both the Rays and Angels lost. 

On one hand, the rainout was good for the Sox because if they had started the game on time and had a rain delay after a few innings, they may have lost Lester for the night.  BUT, he WAS lined up to pitch the last game of the season on regular rest.  Now, he'd be on short rest.  Maybe they won't need him though.  They could either clinch before then, or the way they're playing, they could be eliminated themselves.

Pitching matchups for Sundays double header don't look good at all for the Sox.  Lackey and Wakefield vs. Burnett and Nova.  Well, I guess they have a shot vs. Burnett, though he pitched well against them last time out.

As we know though, you can't go by the matchups.  Games aren't played on paper.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #493 on: September 24, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »

Not good for the sox today. They are just getting spanked.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #494 on: September 25, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »

The Sox are an embarrassing disgrace to baseball right now.  They are doing their best to hand the wild card to the Rays OR the Angels.  They honestly may not win another game this year, and in reality they probably only have to win a couple more to clinch.  Their pitching has just been so disgustingly bad of late, it's not even funny.  Jon Lester, our big co-Ace, whatever you want to call him.  He's been awful down the stretch, and was so again today.  So many times they're out of the games so early, they just have no chance.  I'd like to say they should win ONE of the games tomorrow because it's hard to sweep double headers.  But the Yanks swept one last week, and the Sox just can't win right now, so I'm not expecting much.

Luckily there's football tomorrow, so I don't have to watch the collapse continue.  I'll gladly turn my attention to the Patriots.  At least they don't let me down,,,,, until the playoffs.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »

The Sox are an embarrassing disgrace to baseball right now.  They are doing their best to hand the wild card to the Rays OR the Angels.  They honestly may not win another game this year, and in reality they probably only have to win a couple more to clinch.  Their pitching has just been so disgustingly bad of late, it's not even funny.  Jon Lester, our big co-Ace, whatever you want to call him.  He's been awful down the stretch, and was so again today.  So many times they're out of the games so early, they just have no chance.  I'd like to say they should win ONE of the games tomorrow because it's hard to sweep double headers.  But the Yanks swept one last week, and the Sox just can't win right now, so I'm not expecting much.

Luckily there's football tomorrow, so I don't have to watch the collapse continue.  I'll gladly turn my attention to the Patriots.  At least they don't let me down,,,,, until the playoffs.

And not getting any better today for the Sox. Watching the Pats lose to the Bills probably isn't helping either.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #496 on: September 26, 2011, 01:00:42 AM »

And not getting any better today for the Sox. Watching the Pats lose to the Bills probably isn't helping either.
Not so fast.  At least the Jets lost too.  Thought the Pats have to make the trip to Oakland next week.  Doesn't look like it's going to be very easy.  The Bills are the team to beat, for now.

Back on topic, at least the Sox pulled out game 2.  MAYBE they can build up some momentum off of that win.  IF they can hold on and make the playoffs, Jacoby Ellsbury has to be a serious candidate for the AL MVP.  I know the consensus of late has pretty much gone towards Verlander, but Ellsbury is having a ridiculous season by the numbers.

After his 3 HR's and 5 RBI's today, he's hitting .322 (5th in the league) with 31 HR (5th), 103 RBI (7th), 117 R (3rd), 208 H (3rd), 38 SB (4th), .551 Sl% (6th), .928 OPS (6th), 351 TB (1st).

If only his greatness would rub off on some of the other players in the clubhouse over the next 3 days.  They could use any bit of help they can get.  Beckett tomorrow, HAS to come up big.  The bullpen is a little taxed after the 23 innings of play today.  So Josh HAS to go deep into the game.  In turn, the Yankees will probably be a bit run down as well facing the Rays tomorrow, which of course won't help the Sox.

Red Sox control their own destiny.  Win out, and they're in.  Of course, I can't remember the last time they won consecutive games, never mind four in a row. 

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #497 on: September 26, 2011, 02:52:33 AM »

I have to wonder how hard the Yankees will try against the Rays. I can't seem them very eager to try and help the Sox out.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #498 on: September 26, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »

I have to wonder how hard the Yankees will try against the Rays. I can't seem them very eager to try and help the Sox out.
True, especially since they have home field wrapped up.  They really have nothing to play for, and they'd probably want to give most of their regulars some much needed rest.  That's why I fully expect Tampa to win at least 2 out of 3, if not sweep.  And you know the Orioles are going to go all out to try and spoil the Sox season.  They already beat them 3 out of 4 last week at Fenway.  This is THEIR World Series, and Buck made it clear he didn't care too much for the Sox or Yankees payroll with his pre-season comments.  So the Sox still have a long way to go. 

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #499 on: September 26, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »

Man, John Lackey was just not made to pitch in Boston.  His coming to the Red Sox has been the absolute worst thing for him and the team.  He does not know how to handle the media scrutiny that comes with playing in a large market.  He's had a rough year in his personal life, which has added to the struggles.  At the beginning of the season he was struggling and had that infamous quote after one of his many poor outings, "Everything in my life sucks right now".  Turns out his wife was battling breast cancer and was going through treatment.  Understandable that would take a toll on him.

So yesterday he went out and gave up 3 early runs, but then settled down and kept the Sox within striking distance.  Francona took him out in the 7th after giving up a leadoff single and only throwing 86 pitches or so.  He was not happy and as he always does he showed his displeasure for being taken out of the game.  After the game he defended his shaky first inning performance by saying only ONE ball was hit hard and another "got by" a fielder.  Way to pass blame onto others John.  THEN, he goes onto say that he received an anonymous text message from the media 30 minutes before the game about something very personal in nature.  Turns out today, TMZ is reporting that John has filed for divorce from his wife, who is still battling cancer.

Got all that?  You couldn't make this stuff up.  Just a horrible stay in Boston for Lackey, both on and off the field.  Kind of explains why he's been pitching so badly.  Not to let him off the hook completely, but having your wife sick and at the same time having marital problems with said wife can't help out your morale.  But he just handles himself so badly that it's hard to feel sorry for the guy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:01:31 PM by faldor » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: