Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:30:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 184821 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #460 on: September 06, 2011, 06:56:40 AM »

It is NOT looking so good for the Yanks actually PLAYING the next couple of days.....looks like rain through, at least, Thursday.

They're going to have to be lucky, or scramble, to get these games in.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #461 on: September 07, 2011, 01:57:32 AM »

What a wild game in the Bronx tonight and what the hell how was Posada out? I think those umps just wanted to end the game.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #462 on: September 07, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »

What a wild game in the Bronx tonight and what the hell how was Posada out? I think those umps just wanted to end the game.

They said "He made a turn toward second".

What I see is:  He ducked to avoid the throw, and then moved toward second to get out of the way of another potential throw...along with a small slip on the grass.

IMHO, a bad call.  Luckily, it didn't matter.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #463 on: September 07, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »

The kicker is he wasn't even in fair territory when he turned. He was in foul territory.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #464 on: September 07, 2011, 11:48:16 PM »

Awesome game at the SkyDome tonight.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #465 on: September 14, 2011, 02:34:20 AM »

Question for everyone, as you know Mo Rivera got his 600th save tonight. Is 700 possible? He has stated he isn't sure if he'll continue beyond 2012. If he does i believe 700 is possible. Thoughts?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #466 on: September 14, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »

Question for everyone, as you know Mo Rivera got his 600th save tonight. Is 700 possible? He has stated he isn't sure if he'll continue beyond 2012. If he does i believe 700 is possible. Thoughts?
My initial thought would be to say absolutely NOT!  But I've been writing off Rivera for about 10 years now, saying he's getting old and bound to slip, and that has yet to happen.  So I give up, if he WANTS it, he probably could get it.

How about that Manny Ramirez?  What a great couple years he's had eh?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #467 on: September 14, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »

You would think it's a sure thing -- he's the best relief pitcher ever and still the best even now.  But on the days his cutter isn't working, he seems so hittable that I wonder if just one day it will all fall apart at once, rather than him gradually slowing down. 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #468 on: September 14, 2011, 01:22:07 PM »

It would take him roughly 3 years to do.

Possibly, but I'd go with unlikely.  I can't see him pitching for another 3 seasons....but then again, the guy might just be immortal, so....we'll see.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #469 on: September 14, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »

My initial thought would be to say absolutely NOT!  But I've been writing off Rivera for about 10 years now, saying he's getting old and bound to slip, and that has yet to happen.  So I give up, if he WANTS it, he probably could get it.

How about that Manny Ramirez?  What a great couple years he's had eh?

Yeah and now he's in trouble for slapping his wife around! What a prick.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #470 on: September 14, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »

It would take him roughly 3 years to do.

Possibly, but I'd go with unlikely.  I can't see him pitching for another 3 seasons....but then again, the guy might just be immortal, so....we'll see.

Unless he can have two consecutive years like this one, where he has an outside chance for 50 saves. If he can get 10 more this year. He'd need 45 the next two years. That's not something i'd put past him. I have a pretty strong feeling though that 2012 might be it for him though. He's made it clear he has no intention of lingering too long and wants to go out on top and he would if he retired after 2012. He'd have the saves record and countless other records. He would have nothing left to prove. So i think after 2012 he retires to his home in Purchase, NY and waits for the call from cooperstown in 2017. I think his saves record will be one record that will never be touched. any closer around now that could possibly be as good for as long as Rivera needed to even come close to his total whatever it ends up being.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:45:20 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #471 on: September 14, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »

If he chooses to stay around a few more years. he'll get it.

I heard some crazy stat on him last night, something like 40 odd post season saves.

Unreal.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #472 on: September 14, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »

If he chooses to stay around a few more years. he'll get it.

I heard some crazy stat on him last night, something like 40 odd post season saves.

Unreal.

42 to be exact, 11 of them in the world series, he also has the record for consecutive postseason saves of 23 where he went 34 1/3 consecutive innings without giving up a run.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:00:04 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »

Hey are you getting worried at all faldor about the sox possibly not even getting the wild card?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #474 on: September 15, 2011, 12:41:05 AM »

Hey are you getting worried at all faldor about the sox possibly not even getting the wild card?
I'm getting worried period.  Whether they get the wild card or not.  I think they'll hold on, BARELY.  Though that's not a guarantee the way they're finishing up.  I think they built themselves just enough of a lead to withstand this total collapse, though we'll see.  Tampa could sweep them this weekend and even things up, THEN I'd feel differently.  Tampa blew it by losing to Baltimore these last 2 nights, that helped the Sox out.

Regardless though, even if the Sox do hold on for the wild card, they're going nowhere fast if they keep this up.  I know teams have backed into the playoffs before and suddenly turned the switch, but they're a mess all over right now.  Injuries to key players, guys slumping, bad pitching, UNtimely hitting.  You name it, it's going wrong.  Daniel Bard was right up there with David Robertson as one of the best setup men in baseball this season, and all of a sudden he can't work a clean inning.  The guy broke the franchise record for consecutive scoreless innings earlier this season and now he has 8 losses, and like 3 in the last week.  It's crazy.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #475 on: September 15, 2011, 02:50:20 AM »

I'm getting worried period.  Whether they get the wild card or not.  I think they'll hold on, BARELY.  Though that's not a guarantee the way they're finishing up.  I think they built themselves just enough of a lead to withstand this total collapse, though we'll see.  Tampa could sweep them this weekend and even things up, THEN I'd feel differently.  Tampa blew it by losing to Baltimore these last 2 nights, that helped the Sox out.

Regardless though, even if the Sox do hold on for the wild card, they're going nowhere fast if they keep this up.  I know teams have backed into the playoffs before and suddenly turned the switch, but they're a mess all over right now.  Injuries to key players, guys slumping, bad pitching, UNtimely hitting.  You name it, it's going wrong.  Daniel Bard was right up there with David Robertson as one of the best setup men in baseball this season, and all of a sudden he can't work a clean inning.  The guy broke the franchise record for consecutive scoreless innings earlier this season and now he has 8 losses, and like 3 in the last week.  It's crazy.

It certainly has gone downhill that's for sure. You get Beckett back Friday. That should give you something to be optimistic about and he should help the way he has pitched so far this year but yeah all the other things going wrong have to change. This weekend series should be very interesting. If they lose 3 of 4 or get swept it could be big trouble.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #476 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »

"Freebie" for the Yanks today.  They gain a loss on TB or Boston, by default.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #477 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:57 PM »

I want the gain on Boston since they are closer than Tampa.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »

Joe Mauer what an overrated/overpaid bum

since MVP season def not worth 23 million per year in that market.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #479 on: September 19, 2011, 09:26:51 AM »

Joe Mauer what an overrated/overpaid bum

since MVP season def not worth 23 million per year in that market.

100% of the blame on the Twins.

They rushed him back early in the year and shouldn't have.  He's been dealing with the ramifications since then and hasn't been "right" all year.  Given the Twins aren't playing for anything...it's a good move to shut him down.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: