Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 184612 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #320 on: August 02, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »

We also have Romine down there that could also be a very good catcher.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #321 on: August 02, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »

That's a helluva good position to have organizational depth at, good catchers can be gold whether keeping or as a trade chip.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #322 on: August 02, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »

That's a helluva good position to have organizational depth at, good catchers can be gold whether keeping or as a trade chip.

Yeah, he's not quite as far in his development as Montero though. He's still at Trenton and having a pretty good season.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #323 on: August 02, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »

Anyone have any thoughts on the Jered Weaver suspension? From the video i saw it sure looked like he was head hunting.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #324 on: August 03, 2011, 12:17:33 AM »

Anyone have any thoughts on the Jered Weaver suspension? From the video i saw it sure looked like he was head hunting.
He was definitely throwing at the guy, but I think what Carlos Guillen did was far worse.  You could argue Weaver shouldn't have thrown at Avila and have focussed on Guillen instead but he was nearing an end to his day so his time was running short.  Guillen pimped that homerun like nothing I've ever seen before though.  He better watch out the next time he faces the Angels.  He WILL be hit if their staff has any integrity.  Oh, and Aybar will probably also get hit for bunting in the 8th inning of Verlander's no hitter.  Justin probably won't let that slide when he sees him next.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #325 on: August 03, 2011, 01:15:40 AM »

He was definitely throwing at the guy, but I think what Carlos Guillen did was far worse.  You could argue Weaver shouldn't have thrown at Avila and have focussed on Guillen instead but he was nearing an end to his day so his time was running short.  Guillen pimped that homerun like nothing I've ever seen before though.  He better watch out the next time he faces the Angels.  He WILL be hit if their staff has any integrity.  Oh, and Aybar will probably also get hit for bunting in the 8th inning of Verlander's no hitter.  Justin probably won't let that slide when he sees him next.

So, that is what it was in response too. They didn't mention that when they showed it. Guillen was wrong too but i think Weaver was aiming just a bit too high there.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #326 on: August 03, 2011, 07:22:11 AM »

I didn't realize he was just 21, that leaves time to develop his defensive skills for sure.

I saw on on hardballtalk he could be called up soon, I'm pumped to see the kid in action at the Big League level.

Maybe.....I don't expect to see him until September, though.  And maybe not then.  The Yanks seem to want to move him slowly, preserve his options as long as possible, AND keep his arbitration clock from starting as long as they possibly can.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #327 on: August 03, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »

Source: MLB investigates A-Rod
By Wallace Matthews
ESPNNewYork.com

CHICAGO -- Major League Baseball is taking "very seriously" the allegations that Alex Rodriguez took part in some illegal, underground poker games, one of which reportedly turned violent, and he could face suspension if his participation in the games is confirmed.

"We're talking to people involved in the investigation and we're taking this very seriously," said an MLB executive who spoke to ESPNNewYork.com on condition of anonymity. "Because he had been warned about this before, I would say a possible suspension would be very much in play."

A-Rod's Place In Pinstripes?

Alex Rodriguez is no stranger to controversy, but he's also one of the all-time Yankees. Where does he rank?
ESPN NY's Top 50 Yanks Photo Gallery  Vote

The allegations, first published by RadarOnline.com, are that the New York Yankees third baseman played in at least two of the games, one of which took place at the Beverly Hills mansion of a record executive at which "cocaine was openly used and a fight nearly broke out when one of the players refused to pay after losing "more than a half-million dollars."

According to the story, details of which were reportedly provided by another player at the games, Rodriguez "tried to distance himself from the game," once the violence broke out.

"He just shook his head, not knowing what the hell happened," the whistle-blower revealed. "He didn't want to deal with it at all. He was like, 'OK, whatever. It's your game.' I would estimate A-Rod lost, like, a few thousand dollars that night. After everything that happened, he paid up and left."

In 2005, Rodriguez had been warned about gambling in underground poker clubs by the Yankees and by baseball commissioner Bud Selig, both of whom were concerned that possible involvement with gamblers who might be betting on baseball games could result in a Pete Rose-type lifetime ban from baseball.

Various reports have the games under investigation taking place as far back as 2007.

Although baseball's investigation centers upon Rodriguez's card-playing and he is not thought to have gambled on the outcome of any baseball games, the fact that he may have disregarded Selig's warning is said to have angered the commissioner.

"Bud's totally fed up with him," said a baseball insider. "It's like there's something new with him every day and it's impossible to keep up with it."

The 50 Greatest Yankees

Choosing the 50 Greatest Yankees was a daunting task. ESPNNewYork.com rose to the challenge. Top 50 Photo Gallery  Rank 'Em

MLB is also concerned that Rodriguez's name will resurface in the ongoing federal investigation of Dr. Anthony Galea, the Toronto physician charged with smuggling human growth hormone and other illegal substances into the United States. Galea has treated numerous professional athletes, including Rodriguez and Tiger Woods.

Rodriguez, currently rehabbing in Miami after knee surgery on July 11, could not be reached for comment and a call to his representative, Richard Rubenstein, was not immediately returned. Previously, Rubenstein has denied Rodriguez's participation in any illegal poker games.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said, "I don't know anything about it," when contacted Wednesday afternoon.

According to the baseball executive, MLB has yet to positively determine that Rodriguez took part in the games, which reportedly included actors Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. The man did not know if baseball's investigators had yet spoken to Rodriguez about the allegations, but he confirmed MLB has at least two investigators working on the case.

"I could see us trying to pursue this a lot further," the executive said. "The truth is still out there somewhere."

Recently, it was revealed that Rodriguez still employs his cousin, Yuri Sucart, after fingering him as the "mule" who transported his performance-enhancing drugs in 2003 after his steroid usage was revealed in a 2009 Sports Illustrated story, despite being told by the Yankees that Sucart would no longer be allowed in the clubhouse and encouraged to keep his distance from him.

"You get the feeling that Alex says what he thinks he needs to say to get by, and then goes out and does what he wants," the MLB executive said.

Wallace Matthews covers the Yankees for ESPNNewYork.com.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #328 on: August 03, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »

So, that is what it was in response too. They didn't mention that when they showed it. Guillen was wrong too but i think Weaver was aiming just a bit too high there.
Yeah, pitchers should never throw near any batters head, regardless of the situation.  BUT, you have to check out the Guillen home run trot.  It was classic.  You couldn't make up something so ridiculous and unsportsmanlike. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o4cM7vDjTY

Weaver had every right to be upset, maybe he didn't handle himself properly but his emotions got the best of him.  Guillen is a punk though, Alex Avila should be pissed at HIM, not Weaver.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #329 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:22 AM »

Yeah, pitchers should never throw near any batters head, regardless of the situation.  BUT, you have to check out the Guillen home run trot.  It was classic.  You couldn't make up something so ridiculous and unsportsmanlike. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o4cM7vDjTY

Weaver had every right to be upset, maybe he didn't handle himself properly but his emotions got the best of him.  Guillen is a punk though, Alex Avila should be pissed at HIM, not Weaver.

Guillen standing there to admire it was uncalled for.

But what that clip DOESN"T show is what happened before, and then the jawing that Weaver did to Guillen as he left the batters box.

RIGHT before that, Weaver spouted off to the ump about a close ball/strike call.  A call, FYI, that the ump got right.  And in the process of spouting off to the ump, reportedly he made a somewhat disparaging remark that was directed toward Guillen (not specifically but something to the tune of "if the batter is too stupid to swing at that, you have to call it a strike").

THAT'S what brought on (according to Detroit) Guillen's "admiring" his home run.

"The trot" was brought on by Weaver's comments to Guillen as he came out of the box.

I'm not defending either of them.  They were both acting like big babies.  And, again, I don't care WHAT has gone on...unless the guy is charging you with his bat, ready to take your head off, you DO NOT THROW a baseball at a guys head.  You want to peg him in the ass or the back..fine.  But the bean should be off limits...and MLB should institute MUCH stronger penalties when a guy OBVIOUSLY throws up there.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2011, 08:08:05 AM »

Source: MLB investigates A-Rod
By Wallace Matthews
ESPNNewYork.com

CHICAGO -- Major League Baseball is taking "very seriously" the allegations that Alex Rodriguez took part in some illegal, underground poker games, one of which reportedly turned violent, and he could face suspension if his participation in the games is confirmed.

"We're talking to people involved in the investigation and we're taking this very seriously," said an MLB executive who spoke to ESPNNewYork.com on condition of anonymity. "Because he had been warned about this before, I would say a possible suspension would be very much in play."

According to 2 different reports (one by Olney, one by Kurchin)....unless baseball gets some sort of direct proof that:
a) A-rod was actually USING the illicit drugs present (coke)
or
b) The debt A-rod incurred led him to bet on baseball

NOTHING substantial will probably happen.  No suspension, probably not even a fine.  MLB will bring him in for the Park Ave "perp walk", ask some questions, express it's displeasure, ask him not to do it again (and tell him if he's caught/prosecuted/arrested for it, there WILL be a suspension), and watch him walk out the door.

I gotta tell you...I couldn't care less.  The guy was playing poker...so what?  If it turns into something more than that....likely my opinion will change.  But a LOT of guys play poker.  A LOT of guys play illegal poker.  I don't get the big deal....EXCEPT that it involves A-rod, so everyone gets pissed off.

As for MLB being "tired of hearing about A-rod".....OTHER than the initial steroid allegations, I can't think of anything that's actually panned out as true.  The fact is: The press likes to target A-rod.  I'm not saying he's a victim...his choices certainly lead to him being an easy tabloid target.  But I can PROMISE you that there are plenty of baseball players playing poker at their friends houses.  There are at least a few dozen athletes who legit saw Dr. Galea and did not receive any sort of "performance enhancing treatments".  But...the name that gets the headlines is A-rod.  And MLB is going to have to deal with that.

Edit:
And here's another article, basically saying the same thing.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/look-nothing-is-going-to-happen-to-a-rod-over-this-poker-business/related/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:45:49 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2011, 04:31:05 PM »

I pretty much agree. He was playing poker so what? I seriously doubt he was using coke. He would probably very easily be caught positive for that in a drug test. I highly doubt he was betting on baseball either. So i could really care less.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #332 on: August 04, 2011, 10:28:52 PM »

Absolutely DOMINATING start for Ivan Nova tonight. This kid is really proving he belongs in the majors. Hughes better build on his own dominating start the other night or he won't be in the rotation much longer.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2011, 11:50:12 PM »

I pretty much agree. He was playing poker so what? I seriously doubt he was using coke. He would probably very easily be caught positive for that in a drug test. I highly doubt he was betting on baseball either. So i could really care less.
The problem is, Alex was warned about taking part in these "illegal" high stakes poker games already by MLB and if this turns out to be true, he completely disregarded their warnings and went ahead and did it anyway.  I'd say that's a bit of an issue.  And the fact that it's ILLEGAL.  I know plenty of people play poker with friends or bet on games illegally, it's certainly not taboo.  But if you get caught, the "everybody else does it" defense may not work so well for you.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #334 on: August 05, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »

The problem is, Alex was warned about taking part in these "illegal" high stakes poker games already by MLB and if this turns out to be true, he completely disregarded their warnings and went ahead and did it anyway.  I'd say that's a bit of an issue.  And the fact that it's ILLEGAL.  I know plenty of people play poker with friends or bet on games illegally, it's certainly not taboo.  But if you get caught, the "everybody else does it" defense may not work so well for you.

Actually..no.  He was told not to play poker at the illegal NY poker clubs....because of the element that was proven to be around there (sports bookies, etc).  Specifically.  He was not told he couldn't play poker at a friends house, or at his house, or any of that.  I realize it's a fine distinction, but it's a noteable one.  In addition...the games supposedly took place somewhere between 2 and 4 years ago (how's that for specifics?).  It's not like this happened last week.

It's illegal like speeding is illegal.  And, again, there are LOTS of MLB players who are playing poker...not just A-rod.  Suspend all of them?  You'd lose 30%+ of your active MLB players, at least.  Hell...watch the Jeter3k documentary on HBO.  There is a POKER TABLE sitting behind him the entire show..in his NYC apartment/penthouse. 

And the operative word is "If he gets caught". He hasn't.  At least not by the authorities that matter. IF he's caught...and IF he's prosecuted...and IF he's convicted...THEN you suspend him (and only briefly...maybe 2 or 3 games).  Until that happens, I again say: I could care less.  It's a non-story being blown up by the media because it involves A-Rod.  Just about every sports reporter (and not entertainment reporter) is saying pretty much exactly what I said in my first post.  MLB is going to make a show of it, and pretty much do nothing.  And if they tried, they'd likely have a fight against the union.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:17:40 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »

Absolutely DOMINATING start for Ivan Nova tonight. This kid is really proving he belongs in the majors. Hughes better build on his own dominating start the other night or he won't be in the rotation much longer.

The kids got 10 wins and has looked pretty damn good in his starts since June.

How do you tell a kid that's 10-4 he has to go back to the minors??

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »

As relatively meaningless as it is (both teams are pretty much assured of making the playoffs):

How much better of a setup could you ask for going into the Sox/Yanks series this weekend?  Tied for the division, 3 game set (so someone's gotta finish the series all alone in first).....

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »

I am simply amazed that the Yankees are where they are right now.  I don't see how it's possible.  They've had their share of injuries and if you look at their pitching staff on paper they look like they'd be in serious trouble.  Yet somehow Colon, Garcia, and Nova continue to pitch well.  I don't believe they have ONE .300 hitter in their lineup either.  It doesn't seem like a team that should be tied for first.  Somehow they're right there though.

We will see once again if there's much of a gap between the two teams this weekend.  Just like a few seasons ago when the Sox dominated the Yanks early on and then NY turned the tables on them.  It almost has that feel again now, but we'll see. 

Like pilferk said though, both teams are going to make the playoffs.  It's just a matter of avoiding the Rangers in the first round at this point.  Although, I'm not sure facing the Tigers and Verlander is much of a consolation prize.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »

I am simply amazed that the Yankees are where they are right now.  I don't see how it's possible.  They've had their share of injuries and if you look at their pitching staff on paper they look like they'd be in serious trouble.  Yet somehow Colon, Garcia, and Nova continue to pitch well.  I don't believe they have ONE .300 hitter in their lineup either.  It doesn't seem like a team that should be tied for first.  Somehow they're right there though.

We will see once again if there's much of a gap between the two teams this weekend.  Just like a few seasons ago when the Sox dominated the Yanks early on and then NY turned the tables on them.  It almost has that feel again now, but we'll see. 

Like pilferk said though, both teams are going to make the playoffs.  It's just a matter of avoiding the Rangers in the first round at this point.  Although, I'm not sure facing the Tigers and Verlander is much of a consolation prize.

Cano was hitting .300, at one point last night.  Not sure if his last ab's dropped him.   Gardner was also pretty close, for awhile.  Think he's hitting about .280 now.

A-Rod was at like .297 when he got hurt.

Chavez is hitting over .300...and he's pretty much an everyday player now.  But he doesn't really have enough AB's to consider him a .300 hitter.

Colon and Garcia (against everyone who doesn't wear Red Socks and play in Boston) have been way better than anyone could have expected them to.  And the offense seems to have actually heated up lately (Swish, Cano, and Gardner have all been hitting REALLY well since mid-June). 

I still say they needed to get another arm in their rotation.  They got ONE guy (CC) who I feel confident in making a post season start.  Everyone else is iffy.  They could throw a gem, they could throw a stinker, or they could pull a hammy running into the dugout between innings.  Just no confidence in them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:20:13 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »

On the Poker front:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6835982/poker-pro-new-york-yankees-alex-rodriguez-not-reported-illegal-game

Also, looks like (as long as there is no vig/rake, and the house isn't making money) the poker games are legal in California. Watch the Cowherd clip embedded in the article above.  CA considers Poker a game of skill and not chance.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: