Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:33:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 184592 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2011, 10:07:35 AM »

Yeah, it's clear the players don't put too much emphasis on the home field factor.  And I agree, it doesn't mean all that much.  I mean, it is an advantage, but it's not insurmountable by any means.  Although after watching the Red Sox play in NL parks and having to sit Ortiz, I'm not all that excited about him having to sit a possible 4 games IF they were to make it to the World Series. 

I heard on the radio yesterday that the All Star game the other night was the lowest rated ASG in history.  Obviously the game was hurt by so many players bowing out/not being able to pitch.  They have to do something about those issues going forward.  I myself found the game extremely boring, so I'm not surprised by the low ratings.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2011, 01:41:28 PM »

it is so ridiculous. they should play for money being donated to their favorite charities or something. 

Now that's a damn good idea. ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »

I heard on the radio yesterday that the All Star game the other night was the lowest rated ASG in history.  Obviously the game was hurt by so many players bowing out/not being able to pitch.  They have to do something about those issues going forward.  I myself found the game extremely boring, so I'm not surprised by the low ratings.

The ratings have been on a stead decline for quite awhile.  This was about 1  full ratings point lower than last year.....and was actually about the same as the NBA all star game ON CABLE.

That's bad news for MLB.

ALL the other all star games (NFL, NBA, NHL) saw decent percentage INCREASES for their 2011 version.

That's worse news for MLB.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »

Something clearly needs to be done so that the best players in both leagues play. The elected by the fans need to have some incentive to play and the ones selected by the players/coaches as well. If you aren't injured you should be playing if voted by the fans/mangaers/players. As for the pitchers who can't pitch cause of the rule, maybe moving the game to Wednesday is the answer. Pitch sunday, throw tuesday pitch an inning wednesday.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »

Keith Law"s top 50 mid season prospect list is out, 2 Cards in the top 4 with this interesting synopsis of #4 Carlos Martinez:

Martinez: Analysis: Another easy velocity guy who'll touch 100 and has a plus breaking ball. A native of the Dominican Republic, he originally signed with Boston in 2009, but the deal was voided because of incomplete documentation. Just wait for the flurry of stories on how the Red Sox should still have Martinez's rights once he reaches the big leagues and turns into a star. Preseason Ranking: 52

faldor, any insight?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:42:48 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #265 on: July 15, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »

Keith Law"s top 50 mid season prospect list is out, 2 Cards in the top 4 with this interesting synopsis of #4 Carlos Martinez:

Martinez: Analysis: Another easy velocity guy who'll touch 100 and has a plus breaking ball. A native of the Dominican Republic, he originally signed with Boston in 2009, but the deal was voided because of incomplete documentation. Just wait for the flurry of stories on how the Red Sox should still have Martinez's rights once he reaches the big leagues and turns into a star. Preseason Ranking: 52

faldor, any insight?
No, never heard of him till today.

But you're damn right I'll be complaining if he turns out to be a star!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #266 on: July 15, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »

No, never heard of him till today.

But you're damn right I'll be complaining if he turns out to be a star!

As well you should!

He was being discussed a bit on MLB Radio a week or 2 ago, Jim Bowden said his closest comparison would to that of Pedro Martinez - time will tell I suppose...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #267 on: July 17, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »

Grade my trade..

Not sure if i made the right deal but screw it

Keeper money league:

I traded
Ryan Braun
Ryan Vogelsong
Mike Minor
Alex Gonzalez

I received:
Matt Cain
Josh Hamilton
Stephen Drew

I made the deal cause Im not happy with my pitching... I feel if Hamilton is healthy he is close to Braun.. Vogelsong is 33.. so not a lot of keeper value imo... Gonzalez for Drew not really a factor.. Minor has a lot of potential but I got a farm system with several great arms

This is a PTS league.. so pitching is a bit more valuable than your standard scoring leagues.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »

Wild game last night at the trop. How much of did you see of that one Faldor? For awhile there i thought they'd go for the record of longest scoreless game.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #269 on: July 19, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »

Wild game last night at the trop. How much of did you see of that one Faldor? For awhile there i thought they'd go for the record of longest scoreless game.
I actually stayed up until the Sox took the lead.  Then I hopped in the shower for a quick rinse and by the time I got out the game was over.  I had PLANNED on taking a shower at the end of the game, which I had THOUGHT would be around 11:30 or so.  Oops!  That didn't quite happen.  I must say, it was rough waking up this morning.  My alarm went off, I shut it off, and rolled right back over and fell back to sleep.  Hopefully I'll be back to normal tomorrow, or at least close to it.

Tough game to lose.  Especially for Tampa after jumping out to a quick lead tonight and losing AGAIN to the Yankees.  They better be careful, or they could fall completely out of the race.  Their lineup is just not that good, and their bullpen is average at best, though Farnsworth is having a nice year.  But I still wouldn't trust him in a big spot.  The AL East will be a 2 team race I suspect, and quite soon. 

The Orioles are just a terrible team.  The Red Sox have terrorized their pitching staff over the last couple of weeks.  I thought they'd be a lot better this year.  Showalter seemed to revitalize that team last year and they seemed to have some good young pitchers going into this season.  But they are AWFUL!

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #270 on: July 19, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »

I couldn't believe both teams kept putting up zeros. Especially in the 11th when the Sox had bases loaded with no outs!

I don't expect the rays to be in it much longer. Like you said they just do not have the offense to compete with the yankees or sox. They have the starting pitching and the bullpen has been ok. I agree about Farnsworth. I remember when he was a yankee that guy gave me so many headaches. We referred to him as Farnsworthless for a reason.

Right now they are just awful. They are a young pitching staff if i remember correctly though. So they are still learning. If anyone can turn them around Showalter can. He is a very good manager.

How about a great story, the Pittsburgh Pirates are FIRST place! First place, i'm happy for them and their fans they deserve this after being horrible for nearly 20 years.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #271 on: July 19, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »

how bout those Pittsburgh pirates??

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #272 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »

Crazy huh?

Nice to see their ballpark featured in the nightly highlight packages, the prettiest park going in my book.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #273 on: July 19, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »

Yeah! Its good to see them competitive again. Would be awesome if they make the playoffs.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #274 on: July 19, 2011, 11:48:03 PM »

Grade my trade..

Not sure if i made the right deal but screw it

Keeper money league:

I traded
Ryan Braun
Ryan Vogelsong
Mike Minor
Alex Gonzalez

I received:
Matt Cain
Josh Hamilton
Stephen Drew

I made the deal cause Im not happy with my pitching... I feel if Hamilton is healthy he is close to Braun.. Vogelsong is 33.. so not a lot of keeper value imo... Gonzalez for Drew not really a factor.. Minor has a lot of potential but I got a farm system with several great arms

This is a PTS league.. so pitching is a bit more valuable than your standard scoring leagues.
I think you're taking a chance with Hamilton.  IF he can stay healthy, he's close to but not equal to Braun.  Braun is the best player in the deal, but Hamilton would be a close 2nd.  Cain is definitely better than Vogelsong, so you're making out there.  It's a fair deal I'd say.  I'd say you have the potential to get the best of the deal as long as Hamilton stays healthy.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #275 on: July 20, 2011, 01:37:23 AM »

Any player you have right now on the rangers is huge especially if its a pitcher. They are just on a tear.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2011, 06:37:02 PM »

anybody else hit big on Vance Worley in fantasty??  what a performance today. 8ip 1 er  he is just 23 years old.. I already enjoy watching him pitch.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2011, 07:49:01 PM »

Any player you have right now on the rangers is huge especially if its a pitcher. They are just on a tear.
Yeah that's one streaky team there.  They started the season off looking like the World Series favorite.  Then Hamilton got hurt and they struggled to hang around .500.  Now they're unbeatable again.  Very good team though, certainly a contender.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #278 on: July 21, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »

Fantasy question here.  Would this be giving up too much?  Not enough?

Keeper league.  I've had Hanley Ramirez as my top keeper for the last 3 years.  He got off to a rough start this year and his overall numbers are not that good.  BUT, he's done quite well the last month or so and he's back to putting up Han-Ram type stats.  A friend of mine is desperate for a SS, especially after Stephen Drew got hurt tonight.  How about this for an offer?

Ramirez, Jamie Garcia, and Ty Wigginton 

for

Kevin Youkilis and Jon Lester

I already offered him the same deal with Jhonny Peralta instead of Wigginton and I think I asked for Adam Jones as well and he denied it.  His counter was not appealing to me.  But now he might be more desperate for an All World SS.  What do you think?  Fair?  Giving up too much/little on my part?

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #279 on: July 21, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »

Yeah that's one streaky team there.  They started the season off looking like the World Series favorite.  Then Hamilton got hurt and they struggled to hang around .500.  Now they're unbeatable again.  Very good team though, certainly a contender.

The pitching recently has been what's really winning them games. Its been up and down at times this season but right now they are pitching lights out. If their pitchers get hot like that in the playoffs watch out.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: