Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 184540 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2011, 04:53:28 PM »

Looks like they didn't go in Tex's direction, saw this last night.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/09/kevin-youkilis-jhonny-peralta-named-to-al-all-star-team/

The replacements for Alex Rodriguez (knee) and Derek Jeter (calf) are in, and they are the expected names.  Kevin Youkilis and Jhonny Peralta will take the open spots at third base and shortstop on the AL squad.

Adrian Beltre and Asdrubal Cabrera will replace Rodriguez and Jeter in the starting lineup.

Youkilis leads all major league third basemen with an .884 OPS this season.  He?s hit .275 with 12 homers and 59 RBI for the Red Sox, who moved one game ahead of A-Rod?s Yankees for first place in the AL East by beating Baltimore tonight.

Peralta has hit .313/.364/.533 for an .897 OPS that leads AL shortstops.  He?s homered 14 times and driven in 50 runs for a Tigers team that has pulled with a half-game of the Indians for first place in the AL Central

Texeira again hurt by the fact he plays 1B, a loaded position.  They didn't necessarily NEED to take a replacement 3B and SS to replace A-Rod and Jeter, but that's the route they went with Youk and Peralta.

By the way, what a job by Jeter today.  Hitting a homer for his 3,000th hit and going 5 for 5.  Maybe he should rethink skipping the All Star game.

Congrats to Derek.  A total class act, and this coming from a Red Sox fan.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »

By the way, what a job by Jeter today.  Hitting a homer for his 3,000th hit and going 5 for 5.

That was cool for sure, well done DJ. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »

What a day for Jeter, i thought he would get it today but i didn't expect the 3000th to be a home run and a 5-5 day and getting the winning hit. Congrats to Derek a well deserved honor being the first yankee to do it. A true class act who loves the game and wants to win more than anything.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »

Looks like they didn't go in Tex's direction, saw this last night.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/09/kevin-youkilis-jhonny-peralta-named-to-al-all-star-team/

The replacements for Alex Rodriguez (knee) and Derek Jeter (calf) are in, and they are the expected names.  Kevin Youkilis and Jhonny Peralta will take the open spots at third base and shortstop on the AL squad.

Adrian Beltre and Asdrubal Cabrera will replace Rodriguez and Jeter in the starting lineup.

Youkilis leads all major league third basemen with an .884 OPS this season.  He?s hit .275 with 12 homers and 59 RBI for the Red Sox, who moved one game ahead of A-Rod?s Yankees for first place in the AL East by beating Baltimore tonight.

Peralta has hit .313/.364/.533 for an .897 OPS that leads AL shortstops.  He?s homered 14 times and driven in 50 runs for a Tigers team that has pulled with a half-game of the Indians for first place in the AL Central

Texeira again hurt by the fact he plays 1B, a loaded position.  They didn't necessarily NEED to take a replacement 3B and SS to replace A-Rod and Jeter, but that's the route they went with Youk and Peralta.

By the way, what a job by Jeter today.  Hitting a homer for his 3,000th hit and going 5 for 5.  Maybe he should rethink skipping the All Star game.

Congrats to Derek.  A total class act, and this coming from a Red Sox fan.

That's appreciated. I can understand people hate the yankees but if you can't like and respect Jeter for how he loves and plays the game and his desire to just help the team win something is wrong with you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »

I think I've said this before, but I used to hate Jeter just for being a Yankee.  I used to be one of those Sox fans who'd chant, "Nomar's better".  But I found that not to be the case, the final nail in the coffin being that game in 2004 at Yankee Stadium in July.  Nomar was sitting on the bench, not even joining his team on the steps during the tight stages of a long extra inning game.  Meanwhile, on the other side, Jeter was diving into the stands, gashing his forehead open to make highlight reel catches.  That tipped the scales for me, and it's been nothing but respect since then.

Now A-Rod?  That's another story.  hihi

On a serious note, A-Rod has some decisions to make concerning his balky knee.  Certainly understandable that he'd bow out of the All Star game.  Not sure you can say the same for Derek though, after what he did today.  He sure looked like an All Star with that performance.  And the All Star game would certainly be a nice tribute to his accomplishments.  Maybe he should've waited one more day to make that decision.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:20:49 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »

An interesting event in the stands caught on camera at Fenway the other night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWuDjbWGMeY

http://www.totalprosports.com/2011/07/08/red-sox-fan-executes-television-boob-grab-on-girlfriend-video/

Red Sox Fan Executes Television Boob Grab On Girlfriend

I?m not quite sure what I enjoyed more about this clip.  The actual boob grab, or the ensuing two minutes of non-stop laughter from NESN commentators Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy.  I mean, I love watching a televised baseball boob grab as much as the next man, but it has never caused me to laugh hysterically for more than 30 seconds.

On a side note, could life be any better for Boston Red Sox fans these days?  They have the best record and the best offense in the American League and they are just boob-grabbing their female fans on live television like they own it.  Yes, Fenway Park is certainly the place to be this time of the year.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2011, 12:48:47 AM »

I think I've said this before, but I used to hate Jeter just for being a Yankee.  I used to be one of those Sox fans who'd chant, "Nomar's better".  But I found that not to be the case, the final nail in the coffin being that game in 2004 at Yankee Stadium in July.  Nomar was sitting on the bench, not even joining his team on the steps during the tight stages of a long extra inning game.  Meanwhile, on the other side, Jeter was diving into the stands, gashing his forehead open to make highlight reel catches.  That tipped the scales for me, and it's been nothing but respect since then.

Now A-Rod?  That's another story.  hihi

On a serious note, A-Rod has some decisions to make concerning his balky knee.  Certainly understandable that he'd bow out of the All Star game.  Not sure you can say the same for Derek though, after what he did today.  He sure looked like an All Star with that performance.  And the All Star game would certainly be a nice tribute to his accomplishments.  Maybe he should've waited one more day to make that decision.

I'm glad you feel that way, i think he deserves the utmost respect from everyone even if you hate the yankees. He has earned it, you simply cannot deny all he has done and accomplished in his hall of fame career.

Yeah, A-rod has a tough choice to make. Word is the yankees would like him to get the surgery rather than play through it. We'll see though. He is still producing with the injury. The power hasn't been there but he is still getting plenty of hits driving in runs. Not having that for a month would hurt in a close race with the sox. He sure did, i wish he would reconsider playing in the game but i can see why he wants the few days off just back from injury. I'd rather he play it safe and not play than possibly re-injure it in the ASG.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »

Alex Rodriguez will have surgery Monday to repair a slightly torn meniscus in his right knee and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
The Yankees left the decision of whether to have surgery now or wait until after the season up to A-Rod and he elected to take care of it immediately. It seems like the right call, as New York won't be crippled by his absence for the next month. Eduardo Nunez should get most of the at-bats at the hot corner, with Ramiro Pena also picking up some plate appearances.
Source: Neil Best on Twitter

Also, guys keep bowing out of the All Star game.  The people that replace them are hurt or pitched today and won't be going.  Does ANYONE want to play in that game?  I'm available.

I think I heard they're up to 80 All Stars now.  Kind of takes the luster out of it.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »

Also, guys keep bowing out of the All Star game.  The people that replace them are hurt or pitched today and won't be going.  Does ANYONE want to play in that game?  I'm available.

I think I heard they're up to 80 All Stars now.  Kind of takes the luster out of it.

The NFL has the same problem. Nobody wants to play in the Pro Bowl, especially quarterbacks, so half the league are "Pro Bowlers" when you include the replacements. Doesn't mean much after awhile.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »

Alex Rodriguez will have surgery Monday to repair a slightly torn meniscus in his right knee and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
The Yankees left the decision of whether to have surgery now or wait until after the season up to A-Rod and he elected to take care of it immediately. It seems like the right call, as New York won't be crippled by his absence for the next month. Eduardo Nunez should get most of the at-bats at the hot corner, with Ramiro Pena also picking up some plate appearances.

This year in particular has been bad for players bowing out for injury or whatever. I can't remember one in recent memory where so many that were selected originally have not played.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »

This year in particular has been bad for players bowing out for injury or whatever. I can't remember one in recent memory where so many that were selected originally have not played.
There were actually more All Stars last year according to Buster Olney.  Of course, an 80th was added last night and who knows where the number will stop.  But it's been an ongoing trend the last few years.  I watched the post-game interview between Kimberly Jones and CC Sabathia yesterday and she asked him about being added to the team but not being able to pitch.  He said he'd rather spend time with his family in Panama, or something along those lines.  Players just don't care as much as they used to.  Fans care WAY more.  Olney has been pushing for players to take their names off the ballot if they don't plan on attending.  Might not be a bad idea.  Let guys who really want to be there make the trip.  Obviously injuries occur and that's a valid excuse, but many guys would just rather have the 3 days off.  That's fine, but I agree with Buster.  If that's what you want, remove yourself from consideration.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Official All-Star count, at the moment: 79. Last year: 82. For the 1971 All-Star Game, which included 20 HOF players and 2 HOF managers: 61.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:08:25 PM by faldor » Logged

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I wonder how many we would have there that truly deserve it though? It appears Jeter now won't even attend citing exhaustion.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »

OK, I literally fell asleep during Home Run Derby - woke up and it's still going on.

I hate to say it but I think it maybe reaching Slam Dunk Contest territory.

No problem here with Jeter not making the trip, I think Derek Jeter maybe even tired of hearing about Derek Jeter. yes

Did anyone catch Scott Rolen on MLB Network's pre show?  Absolutely hyterical.  Making fun of himself and hammering Kevin Millar unmercifully.
I always dug him as a Card, too bad TLR and Albert didn't...

Speaking of TLR's shit list, Colby Rasmus is on it again and there maybe no return this time.  Last time a highly touted lefty kid from the south got this far on the wrong side of Don Tony the Cards traded him for Adam Wainwright.

JD who??

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »

The problem with the HR Derby is it's too damn long.  I was falling asleep during it too, and there were 2 Red Sox in it that I had interest in seeing.  It does have some good moments, but maybe they should tape it and edit it down and just show the highlights.  Adrian Gonzalez hit first and didn't hit in round 2 for 2 hours.  Ridiculous.  He and Cano put on quite a show though.  A nice little story with Cano's father pitching to him.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2011, 03:36:33 AM »

They need to shorten the second round and the finals like in years past. I have no idea why they went back to 10 outs in round two again instead of just five.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »

Is Home Run Derby over yet? Wink
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:50:45 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »

Is Home Run Derby over yet? Wink

I didn't even get to see it all. I set the dvr to record baseball tonight, the derby and the softball game. The recording ended just before Cano took the lead in the finals.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »

I must say I'm brimming with NL pride after last nights' exciting victory over the Junior Circuit.  Roll Eyes

I hope your happy MLB, you just gave home field advantage to the Phillies based on a game where a reliever felt goofy enough to slide into the pitchers mound.

"This one counts!!!!"  no

Moving on...

Nice to see the Cards wrap up Jaime Garcia, 4 years at 27.5 million with 2 option years.

He's 25 and already got his Tommy John out of the way so....

KRod to the Brewers was interesting, looks like Milwaukee's going all in this year, nice move for sure.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »

The game wasn't even a fair fight pitching wise. The AL was missing so many of the best either due to injury or the stupid no pitch rule. If they really want this game to mean something they have to find a way to allow the best pitchers to pitch and force those selected to play. None of this skipping the game unless you're injured.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2011, 07:53:14 AM »

the players and managers do not care about the game. home field doesn't mean much, especially to anyone in July when you don't know if you will even make it or not. the phillies have a decent shot at getting there, and all charlie manuel could talk about was how he hopes his pitchers don't get into the game. most of the players' attitude is the same....they were hoping to avoid having to pitch. same thing with CC and the yanks who also have a real good shot at be in the WS....almost no desire to try to win this game.

it is so ridiculous. they should play for money being donated to their favorite charities or something. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: