Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 01:38:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 173520 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #780 on: November 01, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »

For some reason I can see Pujols,La Russa joining Theo in Chicago.

hihi

C'mon, what are you doing?  I don't know if you're serious or just trolling Falcon for kicks, but either way -- too soon!  Gotta allow at least a one week World Series honeymoon.

TLR may very well end up in Chicago.....with Jerry Reinsdorf and the White Sox in an executive/advisory role -
and that may happen sooner than later.

Who knows with Albert although I don't think the Cubs are a viable option, I think Prince is probably more attractive to them.

Keep Texas in mind for AP, they need a first baseman and they are flush with funds from their new TV contract.

So much for enjoying another World Series championship, huh?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:33:46 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #781 on: November 02, 2011, 08:29:50 AM »

Good news for CC and the Yanks, nice to see them get an extension worked out.

Very good news for the Yanks.  Just heard about it.

Yup, I said JUST.

No power (and thus, no heat or hot water) since Saturday at 7:30 PM.   Couldn't get to work because of all the trees across roads. No cell service in our entire corner of the state.  Couldn't find gas until yesterday (because there was no one with power within about a 20 mile radius...and I couldn't get more than 5 miles in any direction from my house).

FINALLY made it to work.  Currently charging every rechargeable electronic device I/we own.  Spouting the full "mountain man" look.....

In short, it's been a pretty miserable week.

At least the Yanks signed CC and Cash, though!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #782 on: November 02, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »

Good news for CC and the Yanks, nice to see them get an extension worked out.

Very good news for the Yanks.  Just heard about it.

Yup, I said JUST.

No power (and thus, no heat or hot water) since Saturday at 7:30 PM.   Couldn't get to work because of all the trees across roads. No cell service in our entire corner of the state.  Couldn't find gas until yesterday (because there was no one with power within about a 20 mile radius...and I couldn't get more than 5 miles in any direction from my house).

FINALLY made it to work.  Currently charging every rechargeable electronic device I/we own.  Spouting the full "mountain man" look.....

In short, it's been a pretty miserable week.

At least the Yanks signed CC and Cash, though!
I'm right there with you Pilf in the no power, heat, hot water camp. My neighborhood is a disaster, like many in CT. I don't foresee getting power back anytime soon. There's just so much damage and cleanup that needs to be done. I'm dressing up like I'm going to a Patriots home game in December to go to bed. It's ridiculous. I've never looked forward to going to work so much. At least there's power, heat, etc.

Anyway, enough with the sob story. No surprise with CC. And definitely good news for the Yanks. But he had a pretty rough end to the season and he's only going to get older and bigger over the length of his contract. We've seen it many times over how risky it is giving big time contracts to pitchers who are entering their mid 30's.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #783 on: November 02, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »

Sucks for you guys having to deal with such a mess. I've been there myself before my family moved away from Long Island. Remember hurricane Gloria? We had no power or anything for two weeks. Glad you got your power back at least Pilf. Hope you get yours back soon Faldor.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #784 on: November 02, 2011, 04:36:57 PM »

Hang in there guys, hopefully the Hot Stove will keep you warm until power returns.

No surprise on CC really, I don't think anyone in their right mind was going to offer CC what he would have been leaving on the table with Yanks by opting out let alone an addtional 30 million guarranteed.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #785 on: November 02, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »

Hang in there guys, hopefully the Hot Stove will keep you warm until power returns.

No surprise on CC really, I don't think anyone in their right mind was going to offer CC what he would have been leaving on the table with Yanks by opting out let alone an addtional 30 million guarranteed.

Not only that it was quite obvious he did not want to leave. The Sabathia family now lives in the area year round. They've made it their home. He had no intention of opting out or leaving ever. He just used the opt out to get to stay where he wants to stay for the rest of his career.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #786 on: November 02, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »

Not only that it was quite obvious he did not want to leave. The Sabathia family now lives in the area year round. They've made it their home. He had no intention of opting out or leaving ever. He just used the opt out to get to stay where he wants to stay for the rest of his career.

For sure, he seemed sincere on wanting to stay and the threat of the opt out got him 30 million more to do just that.

Brilliant move on his camps part, very much a player friendly deal.

Now they've got to get the CC some help, Nova's a keeper although a middle of the rotation guy - average stuff but gets outs and eats innings.  I can see the Yanks making a run at CJ Wilson but I think he's a reach at best, getting older and stuff seems to be diminishing.

Should be an interesting off season nonetheless.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #787 on: November 02, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »

I don't know about that.  From here on out, he'll be getting 5 years, $122M.  Last year, Cliff Lee got 5 years, $125M from the Phillies (and Lee was 32 then, CC is now 31... and probably a better pitcher).  I think at least one team would have broken the bank for him if he wanted to get greedy.  Of course, then the Yanks would have stepped up and matched.  Good on him that he didn't put them through the motions of having to do that. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #788 on: November 02, 2011, 07:58:54 PM »

I don't know about that.  From here on out, he'll be getting 5 years, $122M.  Last year, Cliff Lee got 5 years, $125M from the Phillies (and Lee was 32 then, CC is now 31... and probably a better pitcher).  I think at least one team would have broken the bank for him if he wanted to get greedy.  Of course, then the Yanks would have stepped up and matched.  Good on him that he didn't put them through the motions of having to do that. 

As I said "anyone in their right mind". Wink

I think there's a couple of teams that may have upped the ante, and agreed - the Yanks would've matched.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #789 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:57 PM »

For sure, he seemed sincere on wanting to stay and the threat of the opt out got him 30 million more to do just that.

Brilliant move on his camps part, very much a player friendly deal.

Now they've got to get the CC some help, Nova's a keeper although a middle of the rotation guy - average stuff but gets outs and eats innings.  I can see the Yanks making a run at CJ Wilson but I think he's a reach at best, getting older and stuff seems to be diminishing.

Should be an interesting off season nonetheless.

Absolutely, Nova is a keeper he proved his worth this season and in the post season as well. Nothing seems to phase the kid. I hope we don't go after Wilson. He just doesn't perform well in the post season. I wouldn't be surprised if Betances and Banuelous don't get their shots going into spring training. I wouldn't be surprised either if we made a big effort to move Burnett. I'm not sure who would take him but its worth a shot to get that worthless crap off our team.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #790 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »

According to Joe Strauss at the St Louis Post Dispatch, interviews for the Cards managerial opening start tomorrow.

Candidates names that Strauss mentions will get interviews:

Terry Francona
Ryne Sandberg
Jose Oquendo
Mike Matheny
Joe McKewing

A couple of other organizational guys will get a look as well..

Interesting Strauss said the Cards haven't sought permission to speak to the Rays Joe Maddon - yet.

Also mentioned they'd like to get the deal done within 10 days...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:30:07 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #791 on: November 03, 2011, 12:36:28 PM »

An interesting factoid in relationship to the Cardinals managerial job from STL Post Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz:

Since the start of the 1965 season, the Cardinals have played 7,484 regular-season games. And 6,849 of the games ? 91.5 percent ? were managed by Red Schoendienst, Whitey Herzog, Joe Torre or La Russa.

Considering the success and stability of the franchise over such a long period of time, Miklasz seems to think the logical choice is Terry Francona - no sense handing over the reigns to someone who's without serious experience
and a championship littered resume'.

Food for thought I guess...

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_848e1611-7a4f-59cc-8966-7ec84249bf57.html#ixzz1cezw2GgW

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #792 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »

In light of how it ended in Boston... I'm not sure you can bring Francona in, Would be a major distraction as every other question would be about what happened last year in Boston.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #793 on: November 03, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »

Well espn is reporting that Francona is very high on Epstein's list. So we'll see.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #794 on: November 03, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »

In light of how it ended in Boston... I'm not sure you can bring Francona in, Would be a major distraction as every other question would be about what happened last year in Boston.

I'm not down with Francona but I don't think his nasty ending in Boston would translate as a distraction in St Louis beyond the initial press conference questioning.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #795 on: November 04, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »

Nice move for the Phils resigning Thome today, didn't see that one coming.

Thoughts sandman?

On the Cards managerial front, the locals have Mike Matheny as the latest odds on favorite.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #796 on: November 05, 2011, 12:23:55 PM »

Looks like the Yanks will indeed be speaking with CJ Wilson - from hardballtalk:

?We haven?t talked to him yet, but we will,? Cashman said. ?They have won a lot and he?s been a big part of that, so we?ll certainly talk to him.?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #797 on: November 05, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »

CC, CJ Wilson, Nova, Darvish, and AJ Burnett. ok

In other news, Kei Igawa is finally off the books! Yayy!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #798 on: November 05, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »

Gotta congratulate Falcon.

Congratulations Falcon.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #799 on: November 05, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »

Gotta congratulate Falcon.

Congratulations Falcon.

Thanks, it was a helluva run -  Grin

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: