Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 01:41:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 174270 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #740 on: October 28, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »

Rangers could be in big trouble tonight. Their bullpen is really shot. They threw a lot of pitches last night.
I don't know. Cardinals bullpen was leaned on quite heavily as well. I'd say they're even, all hands on deck.

Odd managerial decision by Washington last night not pinch hitting for Colby Lewis with the bases loaded in the middle innings. It's not like Lewis was cruising at that point and they had an opportunity to break things open a bit. And predictably, Lewis struck out and didn't remain in the game much longer. Also, not a good sign when you're relying on 47 year old Darren Oliver to close out the decisive game of the World Series.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #741 on: October 28, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »

I am so glad i tuned in during the 7th inning last night.

That was one of those games, that if u missed, u'd forever kick yourself in the ass

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #742 on: October 28, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »

Rangers could be in big trouble tonight. Their bullpen is really shot. They threw a lot of pitches last night.
I don't know. Cardinals bullpen was leaned on quite heavily as well. I'd say they're even, all hands on deck.

Odd managerial decision by Washington last night not pinch hitting for Colby Lewis with the bases loaded in the middle innings. It's not like Lewis was cruising at that point and they had an opportunity to break things open a bit. And predictably, Lewis struck out and didn't remain in the game much longer. Also, not a good sign when you're relying on 47 year old Darren Oliver to close out the decisive game of the World Series.

That boggled my mind too. I was listening to it on the radio on my phone at the time since it was between bands. I was like wtf! Why would you call Torrealba back to hit Lewis with the bases loaded.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #743 on: October 28, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »

My superstitious silence is now broken, what a ride.

Pilf, you called it - well done. Wink

Great performance by Carp, settled down after the 1st and was lights out.

Freese does it again, hometown kid's a hero - a worthy MVP.

The greatest singular offensive performance in a WS game by Albert in Game 3, a game 6 for the ages and
another World Championship for The Cards.

ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #744 on: October 29, 2011, 12:17:54 AM »

Congrats Falcon!  And congrats to that guy who bet on the Cardinals back in September when they were 10 games out.  Dude's a multi-millionaire now.  That's gotta be fake right?  Just a ploy by Vegas to try and get people to plunk down hundreds of dollars on 999-1 shots.

Unfortunately for the Rangers, I don't think they were able to recover from losing that game THREE times last night.  When they took an early lead, only to see it quickly dissolve, they must've been thinking, "here we go again."  I'm not a big complainer when it comes to home field advantage, and I think these two teams were so evenly matched that you couldn't say Texas deserved it because they had more wins or were the superior team.  You could make the argument that a wild card team shouldn't get home field over a division winner though, I could see that.  And again, usually I would say home field doesn't matter THAT much, the better team will usually win regardless.  BUT, home field was a HUGE factor in game 6.  That game was just going to be won by the team that had the last crack at it, and it's such a disadvantage to play in extra innings as the road team.

One more thing, I heard on Boston sports radio this morning the guys talking about the non game ending catch by Nelson Cruz last night that let the Cardinals tie the game in the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes.  They were arguing whether it was as bad/big/infamous/etc. a play as the Buckner error in 86.  Now I don't think it comes close really, BUT I have to say, I was shocked he didn't at least make a legitimate play on the ball.  Watching it live I thought he had a great shot at it, and when he missed it, I figured it went off his glove.  But watching the replay, he didn't come close to the ball.  Just a horrible defensive play.  Something tells me though, it won't have the same lasting effect as the Buckner play.  Just a hunch.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #745 on: October 29, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »

Congrats Falcon! 

Thanks faldor, unfuckingbelievable. Grin

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #746 on: October 29, 2011, 12:50:35 AM »

Congrats Falcon! 

Thanks faldor, unfuckingbelievable. Grin

Unbelievable indeed.  I don't know if it's just me, but I completely underestimated the Cardinals and they flew under the radar on me.  Granted I had my own personal shitstorm going down with the Red Sox, but it seemed like everyone was talking about the Sox collapse and the Rays going into October.  The Cards were sort of an afterthought, even though they had just as improbable a comeback.  What a gutty team, one you have a pleasure rooting for.  They remind me a lot of my UConn Huskies from last season on their improbable run to the NCAA Basketball Championship.  Different sport, but a magical run nonetheless.  Makes it even sweeter in the end to have your team do something nobody (even yourself) thought was possible.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #747 on: October 29, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »

Makes it even sweeter in the end to have your team do something nobody (even yourself) thought was possible.

Sweet indeed.

10 1/2 games out with a month to go to World Champs.

With the Game 6 heroics this was just icing on the cake after last night, that game took a few years off my life
while providing the thrill of a lifetime.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #748 on: October 29, 2011, 01:26:23 AM »

Makes it even sweeter in the end to have your team do something nobody (even yourself) thought was possible.

Sweet indeed.

10 1/2 games out with a month to go to World Champs.

With the Game 6 heroics this was just icing on the cake after last night, that game took a few years off my life
while providing the thrill of a lifetime.
Yeah, I can't imagine going through that with the Sox.  I guess in a way, I did, down 3-0 to the Yanks in 04, but that was spread over 4 games.  You went through just about as much in 4 INNINGS!  You just had a feeling after last night, they were a team of destiny.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #749 on: October 29, 2011, 01:47:54 AM »

Yeah, I can't imagine going through that with the Sox.  I guess in a way, I did, down 3-0 to the Yanks in 04, but that was spread over 4 games.  You went through just about as much in 4 INNINGS!  You just had a feeling after last night, they were a team of destiny.

No question, Game 6 was absolutely excruciating - the entire series less the Game 3 blowout was edge of the seat theatre. 

Game 6 would have only been "a really good story" if they didn't finish tonight - now it's historic.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #750 on: October 29, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »

And i still can't believe i missed game 6. If only i had been able to see the future that there would be game 6 that night. Though, i still wouldn't have passed up the chance to see Dream Theater. Eventhough i knew the outcome when before i got home. I'm kicking myself for not dvring it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #751 on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »

My superstitious silence is now broken, what a ride.

Pilf, you called it - well done. Wink

Great performance by Carp, settled down after the 1st and was lights out.

Freese does it again, hometown kid's a hero - a worthy MVP.

The greatest singular offensive performance in a WS game by Albert in Game 3, a game 6 for the ages and
another World Championship for The Cards.

ok

I was off by a game (said 6 and not 7)...and Pujols stats weren't QUITE as gaudy as I expeceted them to be...but I'm not shocked they won.

I said, right from the get go that the Cards were dangerous this year.  Said it again when they made the playoffs and were facing the Phillies.

Talk about being resiliant! 

They definitely deserve it this year.  Congrats, man!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #752 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »

Congrats Falcon!  And congrats to that guy who bet on the Cardinals back in September when they were 10 games out.  Dude's a multi-millionaire now.  That's gotta be fake right?  Just a ploy by Vegas to try and get people to plunk down hundreds of dollars on 999-1 shots.

Unfortunately for the Rangers, I don't think they were able to recover from losing that game THREE times last night.  When they took an early lead, only to see it quickly dissolve, they must've been thinking, "here we go again."  I'm not a big complainer when it comes to home field advantage, and I think these two teams were so evenly matched that you couldn't say Texas deserved it because they had more wins or were the superior team.  You could make the argument that a wild card team shouldn't get home field over a division winner though, I could see that.  And again, usually I would say home field doesn't matter THAT much, the better team will usually win regardless.  BUT, home field was a HUGE factor in game 6.  That game was just going to be won by the team that had the last crack at it, and it's such a disadvantage to play in extra innings as the road team.

One more thing, I heard on Boston sports radio this morning the guys talking about the non game ending catch by Nelson Cruz last night that let the Cardinals tie the game in the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes.  They were arguing whether it was as bad/big/infamous/etc. a play as the Buckner error in 86.  Now I don't think it comes close really, BUT I have to say, I was shocked he didn't at least make a legitimate play on the ball.  Watching it live I thought he had a great shot at it, and when he missed it, I figured it went off his glove.  But watching the replay, he didn't come close to the ball.  Just a horrible defensive play.  Something tells me though, it won't have the same lasting effect as the Buckner play.  Just a hunch.

He was afraid of the wall.  At least, that's the way it looked to me.

But Buckner's was a routine grounder.

The ball for Cruz, while catchable, wasn't a can of corn.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:16:47 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #753 on: October 29, 2011, 09:16:22 AM »

And i still can't believe i missed game 6. If only i had been able to see the future that there would be game 6 that night. Though, i still wouldn't have passed up the chance to see Dream Theater. Eventhough i knew the outcome when before i got home. I'm kicking myself for not dvring it.

If you get the MLB network...they should be replaying all 7 games at some point. Probably this weekend, maybe next week.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #754 on: October 29, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »

He was afraid of the wall.  At least, that's the way it looked to me.

But Buckner's was a routine grounder.

The ball for Cruz, while catchable, wasn't a can of corn.
yeah, their argument was that Buckner was at least in position to make the play, Cruz wasn't and he should've been. They were questioning his effort. Buckner wasn't in the greatest health and would routinely be taken out for a defensive replacement in the late innings that year. I think a slightly above average RF makes that catch, hell I think JD Drew makes that catch.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #755 on: October 29, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »

No correlation with the Buckner/Cruz plays in my estimation, ones a routine grounder and the other is a line drive that was crushed and tailing. 

As pilf said, catchable but hardly a can of corn.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #756 on: October 29, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »

If you get the MLB network...they should be replaying all 7 games at some point. Probably this weekend, maybe next week.

I missed game 6, not 7  hihi
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #757 on: October 29, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »

I missed game 6, not 7  hihi

Game 6 replay tomorrow on MLB Network:

http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/network/schedule/?ymd=20111030

4:00 p.m Central: 2011 World Series Texas Rangers @ St. Louis Cardinals Game 6

The most riveting baseball game I've ever seen, a total roller coaster.

NLCS and World Series MVP David Freese will be on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno Monday, Oct 31 as well.

Not bad to be Freese these days - 28, single and a cool cat, dude's in for quite a ride.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #758 on: October 29, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »

No correlation with the Buckner/Cruz plays in my estimation, ones a routine grounder and the other is a line drive that was crushed and tailing. 

Absolutely, but I still can't believe he didn't come close to catching the ball.  A bad defensive play for sure.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #759 on: October 29, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »

Absolutely, but I still can't believe he didn't come close to catching the ball.  A bad defensive play for sure.

Ya, he looked lost as he approached the track/wall - not the best path to the ball for sure.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: