Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 04:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 175221 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #640 on: October 07, 2011, 02:13:10 AM »

Awful showing from the Yankees tonight. Way too impatient at the plate they continuously helped the pitcher. You can't have bases loaded one out that often and score one run. Inexcusable, and Girardi managing the pitching like an moron. Sabathia had no business in that game i'm sorry not on his throw day. His run cost us big time. I call bullshit on the report that Nova's forearm was stiff too. Joe just got too nervous and ended up costing us the game.
I missed the first few innings, but I heard Nova was having trouble with his breaking ball.  I doubt Girardi would've taken him out unless there was something wrong with him.  Not after 2 runs.

And I don't know if it'll stay this way but, Alex Rodriguez is no longer a feared hitter in that Yankee lineup.  I mean, the guy is still good, but he's not close to what he once was.  At least it seems that way to me, I haven't glossed over the stats or watched his every at bat, so correct me if need be.

I don't know D, Tigers have the best pitcher in the league available for possibly 3 games.  It's not going to be easy for the Rangers, as their starting pitching is suspect.  Their bullpen is solid though Tim, I disagree with you there.  I mean, they don't have Rivera at the end, but who does?

I still like the Phillies to with the World Series, IF they get there.  They've got some work to do though.

He threw some really nasty ones in the first inning. One hanger that went out. Other then that it looked ok to me. Girardi said there would be a short leash tonight. So that's what i'm thinking it was. As for A-rod he just wasn't right all year after the knee surgery he just wasn't right then the nagging thumb injury. Just a bad injury plagued year all around. We'll see if he can rebound next year. As good a hitter as he is i see no reason he can't. I agree the Rangers pitching rotation is suspect after Wilson it can be hit or miss. I've seen that bullpen cough of some whoppers they can be very very good but they can stink the stadium up too.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #641 on: October 07, 2011, 03:46:05 AM »

Well it appears Nova is having a MRI tomorrow. I guess i was wrong about his removal. I pray it isn't serious. We need this kid next ear and he has a bright future ahead of him. Being his forearm that makes me feel a little better. If it was shoulder or elbow i would be much more concerned and be expecting to hear the name Dr. Andrews.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #642 on: October 07, 2011, 08:31:42 AM »

detroit is a tough team. i don't see AL games often, but i don't think Texas has a prayer against them.

3 game 5's in the first round, and potentially the 2 top seeds eliminated. it's really wide open.

first Boston. then the Yankees. Phillies tonight? man, i hope not.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #643 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »

What a game!

I thought for sure Yankees would eventually break through with all the chances they had.

V-Mart with a cool series winning RBI to boot.

Hopefully Young's injury isn't too serious.

A-Rod is still a good hitter, just not what he used to be. Detroit's whole staff went right after him all series.
Pretty much jammed him inside, and he never reacted.

Posada really turned it up for the postseason. Can never count that guy out.
Was that his last game in pinstripes?

Detroit not having to use Verlander is bad news for Texas.
I almost feel bad for his opposing hitters this year. He's making the best in the game look stupid.

Tough task pitching in Texas, though. Should be a good series.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #644 on: October 07, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »

The speculation on Sabathia is that he'll opt out and try to get a bigger deal.  He's got 4 years and $92M left, but I'm sure his agent will be going after a deal in the neighborhood of what the Yankees offered Cliff Lee last offseason (and CC is 2 years younger).  Given their lack of starting pitching depth, I don't think the Yanks have much choice but to give him what he wants. 
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #645 on: October 07, 2011, 10:18:14 AM »

The speculation on Sabathia is that he'll opt out and try to get a bigger deal.  He's got 4 years and $92M left, but I'm sure his agent will be going after a deal in the neighborhood of what the Yankees offered Cliff Lee last offseason (and CC is 2 years younger).  Given their lack of starting pitching depth, I don't think the Yanks have much choice but to give him what he wants. 

Yup, CC has the Yanks by the balls.

Same story as when they gave A-Rod the opt out clause.
I remember the media was spinning it as though the Yankees/Cashman played hardball with A-Rod, which was amusing since he ended up breaking his own record of biggest contract in sports.

CC proved he can thrive in New York. His postseason stats were not impressive in Cleveland, and he stepped it up since. That opt out was put there for a reason, and I'm sure he'll take full advantage.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #646 on: October 07, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »

I hope he doesn't do that but i can hardly blame him if he does. Regardless i think he stays with the Yankees he and his wife like New York. It will be interesting to see who's in the rotation next year. Sabathia should be a given. Hopefully Nova is ok. Hughes hopefully can bounce back from an injury year. Who knows about Burnett. I don't expect Colon or Garcia to return. I expect Betances and Banuelos to get their shots.

Word is Nova has a grade 1 flexor strain. A huge sigh of relief for the Yankees and the coaching staff i'm sure. A small consolation after dropping game 5 but glad he's ok. It probably would've prohibited him from pitching in the ALCS anyway and i don't think we could've won without him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:41:28 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #647 on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

I want to smack Girardi already. Why would you remove a guy that hasn't lost since June after two innings for Hughes? WTF are you thinking!  Nova had two bad pitches that barely got over the wall then a scorless second. You gotta give the kid a little more of a chance there. Also, dear ump, a ball that crosses in the batters box is not a strike.

Nova injured.  Apparently the MRI they did today was not good news.  More info coming.

Just as a general FYI:  I won't be around much for the next week or so.....out of town until the 17th.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #648 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »

I want to smack Girardi already. Why would you remove a guy that hasn't lost since June after two innings for Hughes? WTF are you thinking!  Nova had two bad pitches that barely got over the wall then a scorless second. You gotta give the kid a little more of a chance there. Also, dear ump, a ball that crosses in the batters box is not a strike.

Nova injured.  Apparently the MRI they did today was not good news.  More info coming.

Just as a general FYI:  I won't be around much for the next week or so.....out of town until the 17th.

MLB.com already reported its a grade one flexor strain.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #649 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »

season ends for 2nd straight year with A Rod at the plate

25million a year LOL or is it 30 now?

Yanks made no pitching moves at break, Det stole Doug Fister from Seattle

Detroit def celebrating WAYYYYYYY too much... relax guys, u are just going to ALCS and my Rangers are gonna dominate in 6

Think this year was his high point at 26.5.  Now it slowly starts going down.

Look, he had a HORRID post.  BUT, IMHO, the guy probably shouldn't even have been playing after having his knee scoped.  He should have just taken the rest of the year off (like a lot of other players have) and come back next spring.  I give him credit for TRYING to come back to help the team....and take away that credit for not being able to tell his body just wasn't able.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #650 on: October 07, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »

Awful showing from the Yankees tonight. Way too impatient at the plate they continuously helped the pitcher. You can't have bases loaded one out that often and score one run. Inexcusable, and Girardi managing the pitching like an moron. Sabathia had no business in that game i'm sorry not on his throw day. His run cost us big time. I call bullshit on the report that Nova's forearm was stiff too. Joe just got too nervous and ended up costing us the game.
I missed the first few innings, but I heard Nova was having trouble with his breaking ball.  I doubt Girardi would've taken him out unless there was something wrong with him.  Not after 2 runs.

And I don't know if it'll stay this way but, Alex Rodriguez is no longer a feared hitter in that Yankee lineup.  I mean, the guy is still good, but he's not close to what he once was.  At least it seems that way to me, I haven't glossed over the stats or watched his every at bat, so correct me if need be.

I don't know D, Tigers have the best pitcher in the league available for possibly 3 games.  It's not going to be easy for the Rangers, as their starting pitching is suspect.  Their bullpen is solid though Tim, I disagree with you there.  I mean, they don't have Rivera at the end, but who does?

I still like the Phillies to with the World Series, IF they get there.  They've got some work to do though.

When healthy, A-rod is still a very good hitter. 

The thing is:  How often is he going to be healthy going forward.  He's breaking down an awful lot.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #651 on: October 07, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »

He'll threaten to opt out.  Yanks will offer a raise and extension.

Not sure if he'll actually opt out.....they might come to terms before the opt out deadline.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #652 on: October 07, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »

JUST saw a report it might be more.  Not sure how true it is.....

Joba's injury (which required Tommy John) was initially reported as the same thing.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #653 on: October 07, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »

Yanks' Ivan Nova expected to heal
By Wallace Matthews
ESPNNewYork.com

New York Yankees right-hander Ivan Nova suffered a Grade 1 flexor strain in his right forearm in the second inning of Thursday's ALDS Game 5, the team announced in a news release Friday.

Nova was examined by team physician Dr. Chris Ahmad at New York Presbyterian Hospital and underwent an MRI, which revealed the injury. The Yankees said they expected the injury to "heal without complications" during the winter.

More On The Yankees

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Nova, a 16-game winner in his first full season as a starting pitcher, took the loss in the decisive game, won by the Detroit Tigers 3-2 at Yankee Stadium.

Nova allowed back-to-back home runs on consecutive pitches in the first inning by Don Kelly and Delmon Young, and left the game after the second inning.

Afterward, Nova, 24, said he did not experience any pain in the arm during the first inning, but felt it on virtually every pitch in the second, during which he allowed a leadoff double but retired the next three hitters, including striking out Ramon Santiago to end the inning.

"I just made two mistakes in the first inning, and in the second inning, they take me out," a downcast Nova said after the game. "It's hard when you don't feel good, and you gotta come out of the game so quick. And we gotta go home now. Nobody can feel good about this."

Wallace Matthews covers the Yankees for ESPNNewYork.com.

I don't know what you're hearing PIlf but everyone is reporting Nova will be fine. As for A-Rod, i think it would've been better had he just played through the injury. Before he had surgery he was still hitting just not for power. After the surgery he just couldn't get going again then had the nagging thumb sprain. Just a bad year all around for him. Hopefully he can rebound next year.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #654 on: October 07, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »

JUST saw a report it might be more.  Not sure how true it is.....

Joba's injury (which required Tommy John) was initially reported as the same thing.

I pray not. We need this kid and he's got a great career ahead of him if this season was any indication.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #655 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10:23 PM »

Congrats to the brewers and any of their fans here. They've waited so long for this and they deserve it. I'm happy to see them advance. I was just 5 the last time they won a playoff series. Good luck to them in the NLCS.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #656 on: October 07, 2011, 11:09:32 PM »

So much for the Philly dream team.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #657 on: October 07, 2011, 11:26:19 PM »

MLB needs the BCS! Grin

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #658 on: October 08, 2011, 01:06:45 AM »

Ryan Howard said the trainers believe he ruptured his achilles, ouch! Rough way to end the season. Hope he can be ok for the 2012 season. You never wanna see someone go down like that.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #659 on: October 08, 2011, 06:09:20 AM »

I think I said WAY earlier in this thread (or maybe it was somewhere esle) that the Phillies needed to root for the Braves, because the Cards are dangerous.

Not only are the Phillies out, but it looks like Howard could be out for some of 2012, if his Achilles is really torn.  Not good.

So far I'm 3/4 in my predictions, only missing the Rangers beating the Rays.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: