Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 184373 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »

Worst thing u can do in Fantasy baseball is panic and jump the gun. U can't judge anything by April.

No way Id drop a guy like Liriano.

For instance I have Phil Hughes.... no way Id drop him cause i know it will turn around.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »

Worst thing u can do in Fantasy baseball is panic and jump the gun. U can't judge anything by April.

For instance I have Phil Hughes.... no way Id drop him cause i know it will turn around.
Well you're helped by the Yanks putting him on the DL, assuming you have DL slots on your fantasy team.

I agree though, you can't panic too early.  Plenty of guys have gotten off to horrendous starts in April and have gone on to have solid years.  It's tough waiting out the storm, but sometimes it pays.  If the slide runs into late May though, then it might be time to pull the trigger.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »

6 in a row for the Mets!  In other news, they're $625 million in debt and are projected to lose $70 million this year.  And they're being sued for $1 billion by the Madoff victims' trustee.  And, best of all, they paid Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo $20 million this year. 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2011, 12:18:42 AM »

cotis, hope you didn't end up dropping Liriano, for your sake.  Although he did have some TERRIBLE numbers going into the game tonight.  The no no, drops his ERA to 6.61.

Twins' Liriano no-hits White Sox; Kubel's HR only run

CBSSports.com wire reports
May 3, 2011

CHICAGO -- Francisco Liriano has pitched the major league's first no-hitter of the season, throwing his first career complete game in the Minnesota Twins' 1-0 victory against the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday night.

Liriano (2-4) walked six and struck out two, throwing 123 pitches in the 95th major-league start for the 27-year-old left-hander.

"I can't explain it. I feel so nervous and so happy right now," Liriano said. "I can't explain my feeling right now."

He survived a rocky ninth inning that began when Brent Morel grounded to shortstop and Matt Tolbert made a one-hop throw that first baseman Justin Morneau scooped. Juan Pierre walked and Alexei Ramirez popped to shortstop.

Liriano fell behind Adam Dunn 3-0 in the count, then got a pair of strikes. After a foul ball, Dunn lined out to Tolbert as Liriano and his Twins teammates celebrated at the mound.

"I thought it was a base hit," Liriano said. "When I saw him catch it I was so excited."

Liriano, the reigning AL comeback player of the year, was backed by Jason Kubel's fourth-inning homer. He threw just 66 pitches for strikes but kept Chicago off-balance in a game that took just 2 hours, 9 minutes.

In his previous start, he lasted just three innings in an 8-2 loss to Tampa Bay. The shutout lowered his ERA for the season to 6.61.

Edwin Jackson (2-4) lost his fourth straight decision despite allowing six hits in eight innings. Then with Arizona, Jackson no-hit Tampa Bay last June 26 despite walking eight.

Liriano, 3-0 against the White Sox last season, walked Pierre leading off the first and Carlos Quentin with one out in the second, but both were erased on double plays. Chicago put two on in the fourth, and center fielder Denard Span raced into left-center to grab Quentin's long drive.

With two outs in the seventh, third baseman Danny Valencia went behind the bag and into foul territory to grab Quentin's hard hopper and then made a strong throw to first.

Minnesota turned its third double play in the eighth, when Morneau took an off-line throw from second baseman Alexi Casilla and umpire Paul Emmel ruled he tagged Gordon Beckham.

Ramirez hit two of the hardest balls off Liriano. He lined out to third in the first and sent a hard liner foul past third in the sixth.

It was the seventh no-hitter for the Twins-Washington Senators franchise and the first since Eric Milton's against the Angels on Sept. 11, 1999. It was the first no-hitter in the major leagues since Philadelphia's Roy Halladay's against Cincinnati in last year's NL division series.

The White Sox were no-hit for the 13th time, the first since they were beaten by Kansas City's Bret Saberhagen on Aug. 26, 1991.

Liriano was acquired in 2003 in the famously lopsided trade that also brought Joe Nathan to Minnesota in exchange for A.J. Pierzynski.

He burst onto the scene in 2006, going 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA and dominating overmatched hitters with an untouchable slider. But the violent delivery caused him to develop arm problems toward the end of that season and had elbow-ligament replacement surgery that November.

His road back has been a long and difficult one. He missed all of 2007, then struggled to regain his form over the next two years, leading some to wonder if he ever would make it all the way back after going 5-13 with a 5.80 ERA in 2009.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:22:10 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2011, 09:09:08 AM »

I kept him!

Shame I only got 2K's from it though...

look at me, criticizing a no-no!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »

I kept him!

Shame I only got 2K's from it though...

look at me, criticizing a no-no!
Yeah I hear you.  I've been of the belief that you should get bonus points for certain accomplishments in the fantasy world.  A no hitter, perfect game, hitting for the cycle, etc.  Those things should count for a little more than just the standard scoring.  I got a CG SO from Ian Kennedy last week that was worth more than Liriano's no no, solely because he had more K's.  But I think the no hitter should be worth more.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »

Exactly - some leagues have Perfect Games, No-Hitters, Cycles as stat categories - but I mean there should be some bonus points involved when they aren't counted as full-time stats.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »

in my money league. i traded Jason Heyward for Michael Pineda and KC minor leaguer Mike Moustakas. 

Pineda is the SHIT!

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2011, 01:09:54 AM »

in my money league. i traded Jason Heyward for Michael Pineda and KC minor leaguer Mike Moustakas. 

Pineda is the SHIT!
That should end up being a good deal for you.  Pineda is off to a great start and Moustakas is supposedly a can't miss prospect.  I've been waiting for him to get closer to being called up so I can grab him in one league where I had Chipper Jones and Scott Rolen as my two 3B to start the year.  I've since dropped Rolen and picked up Ryan Roberts from the D-backs who is off to a good start, but doesn't play every day, and Jed Lowrie, who is now 3B eligible.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2011, 02:16:46 PM »

Very Sad:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/13/harmon-killebrew-my-battle-with-esophageal-cancer-is-coming-to-an-end/related

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »

On a happier note:

I'll be in the building for the Yanks/Sox game tomorrow night.  Even though CC is pitching..with the way the Yanks have been playing, I don't have exceedingly high hopes for tomorrow (or the series).  But maybe they'll surprise me...

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »

So you were there for Jorge-gate?  Nice. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »

Pineda is the SHIT!
That should end up being a good deal for you.  Pineda is off to a great start and Moustakas is supposedly a can't miss prospect.  I've been waiting for him to get closer to being called up so I can grab him in one league where I had Chipper Jones and Scott Rolen as my two 3B to start the year.  I've since dropped Rolen and picked up Ryan Roberts from the D-backs who is off to a good start, but doesn't play every day, and Jed Lowrie, who is now 3B eligible.

im even more happy about this deal now. I got Bryce Harper in my farm system, so that made Heyward expendable. I also hit on Michael Brantley from Cleveland who looks promising. I wanted Ryan Roberts but fell victim to the waiver wire priority.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »

Yeah....it wasn't too pretty, either (the game nor the -gate).

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »

Yeah....it wasn't too pretty, either (the game nor the -gate).

They are completely disgusting to watch recently. Girardi needs to start chewing some players out big time. They have their heads so far up their asses. They can't even do the simple things. This is a great defensive team who can't turn a double play or pick up a slow roller or stop a passed ball right now. Absolutely atrocious. If Girardi hasn't started cursing some of these guys out and getting in their face someone needs to. They all need to put in extra time with Kevin Long and the infield coaches too.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »

They are completely disgusting to watch recently. Girardi needs to start chewing some players out big time. They have their heads so far up their asses. They can't even do the simple things. This is a great defensive team who can't turn a double play or pick up a slow roller or stop a passed ball right now. Absolutely atrocious. If Girardi hasn't started cursing some of these guys out and getting in their face someone needs to. They all need to put in extra time with Kevin Long and the infield coaches too.

They're hard to watch.  There's just zero effort there.  No fire, nothing. 

Last night was a perfect example.  After AJ imploded in the 6th...they just rolled over and died.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »

They're hard to watch.  There's just zero effort there.  No fire, nothing. 

Last night was a perfect example.  After AJ imploded in the 6th...they just rolled over and died.

Exactly, that is why someone has to start getting in the face of some of these players on the team. Something has to be said to light a fire under their asses. When guys like A-Rod, Cano and Martin are making routine errors you know its bad. Those are 3 of the best defensively.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »

Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman pours a little gas on the Reds/Cards inferno, listen here:

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F05%2Freds_broadcast_ripping_cards.mp3&podcast_name=Reds+Radio+Broadcast&podcast_artist=Marty+Brennaman&station_id&audio_link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.STL

Gotta love this stuff, two teams that really despise each other - takes me back to Cards/Mets of the mid 80's.

Only 3 more days to interleague play as well, yippeee!!!!! no

Wake me up when novelty ball ends...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2011, 01:55:11 AM »

Harmon Killebrew dies at 74
ESPN.com news services

MINNEAPOLIS -- Harmon Killebrew, the affable, big-swinging Hall of Famer whose tape-measure home runs made him the cornerstone of the Minnesota Twins and perhaps the most popular player in the team's 51-year history, died Tuesday after battling esophageal cancer. He was 74.

Power, Kindness Forever Remembered

Harmon Killebrew gave Minnesotans a ballplayer -- and a person -- that they were proud of during a Hall of Fame career, writes Jim Caple. Story

? How will you remember Killebrew?
? Reaction from around MLB | Ranks

The Twins said Killebrew passed away peacefully at his home in Scottsdale, Ariz., with his wife, Nita, and their family at his side. He announced his diagnosis just six months ago, and last week Killebrew said he was settling in for the final days of his life after doctors deemed the "awful disease" incurable.

Killebrew is 11th on baseball's all-time home run list after an exceptional 22-year career. His eight seasons with 40 or more homers still is tied for second in league history to Babe Ruth. He was an All-Star at three positions: First base, third base and in the outfield.

"No individual has ever meant more to the Minnesota Twins organization and millions of fans across Twins territory than Harmon Killebrew," Twins president Dave St. Peter said. He said Killebrew's legacy "will be the class, dignity and humility he demonstrated each and every day as a Hall of Fame-quality husband, father, friend, teammate and man."

At Target Field, the scoreboard showed a picture of a smiling Killebrew and his retired No. 3 was etched in the dirt behind second base. Plus, there was a more personal tribute -- the Twins' ground crew slowly lifted home plate and put under it a plastic-encased, black-and-white photo of Killebrew. The picture, believed to be from the 1960s, will stay beneath the plate the rest of the season.

Twins catcher Joe Mauer said he felt like he had lost a family member.

"He has treated me like one of his own," Mauer said. "It's hard to put into words what Harmon has meant to me. He first welcomed me into the Twins family as an 18-year-old kid and has continued to influence my life in many ways. He is someone I will never forget and will always treasure the time we spent together."

Along with a statue in Killebrew's likeness outside Target Field, there's a giant bronze glove where fans pose for snapshots -- the glove is 520 feet from home plate, fittingly the distance of his longest home run.

Former Twins star Kent Hrbek joined five other former Minnesota players at Target Field on Tuesday to share memories of Killebrew. Jack Morris, the 1991 World Series MVP and another native of the Twin Cities, grew up cheering for Killebrew during his heyday in the late 1960s.

"I lost a hero today," Morris said, his voice cracking and his eyes watering.

"To remember the innocence of being a young kid who just looked up to a guy he didn't know because of what he did as a baseball player, something that you hoped that maybe some day you could be like," Morris said. "But as a grown man, I look back at him now not as that guy, but as the guy who tried to show me that you don't have to be angry. You don't have to be mad. You can love and share love. We're all going to miss him, and we're all going to love him forever."

Former teammate Tony Oliva said Tuesday the Twins flew him out to Arizona on Saturday so he could spend time with Killebrew.

"It's very hard, we knew each other about 50 years," Oliva told ESPN on Tuesday after learning of Killebrew's death. "I saw him Saturday and he looked very good, even though he was very sick. He was smiling and making jokes."

Killebrew
Harmon Killebrew hit 573 career home runs and was the 1969 AL MVP after hitting 49 homers with 140 RBIs and 145 walks -- all Twins records that still stand.

Former pitcher Tommy John told ESPN that Killebrew was "one of the nicest, most compassionate guys I ever met in baseball." He said Killebrew hit five home runs against him, "and the most he had off anybody was six."

"He never showed you up, no flaps down or anything, just that little number 3 -- like Babe Ruth -- trotting like he hit 'em before and he would hit 'em again."

The Minnesota House observed a moment of silence at the state capitol. Rep. Bob Barrett of Shafer recalled how his father once did contracting work at Killebrew's home and "couldn't remember having met a nicer man."

Said Barrett: "He was a great player, but he was an even greater man."

Bob Wolf was walking near Target Field as he reflected on the death of a fan favorite he had followed since the Twins arrived in Minnesota in 1961.

"It's going to be a loss for the Twins and the state of Minnesota. He was a great person and a great ambassador for baseball," Wolf said.

What set him apart?

"Just the power," Wolf said, shaking his head. "He went up there to put 'em out."

That he did.

Killebrew broke in with the Washington Senators in 1954 as an 18-year-old. He spent most of his first five seasons in the minors, then hit 42 homers in his first full season in 1959. The Senators moved to Minnesota in 1961, and Killebrew hit 190 homers in his first four seasons there, including 49 in 1964.

The 11-time All-Star was the American League's Most Valuable Player in 1969 after hitting 49 home runs with 140 RBIs and 145 walks, all team records that stand to this day.

"I found out early in life that I could hit a baseball farther than most players and that's what I tried to do," Killebrew said.

Behind their soft-spoken slugger nicknamed "The Killer," the Twins reached the World Series for the first time in 1965 and back-to-back AL Championship Series in 1969 and 1970.

Former Twins owner Calvin Griffith used to call Killebrew the backbone of the franchise. "He kept us in business," Griffith said.

Killebrew was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1984, the first Twin to be enshrined. Killebrew's No. 3 jersey was retired in 1975. Killebrew's easygoing demeanor contrasted starkly with his nickname and standing as one of baseball's most feared hitters.

"I didn't have evil intentions," Killebrew said on his website. "But I guess I did have power."

Harmon Clayton Killebrew was born June 29, 1936, in the Idaho farm town of Payette. He was an all-state quarterback in high school, but it was his power with a baseball bat in his hands that got Killebrew noticed by Washington Senators scout Ossie Bluege.

Killebrew Dominated the 1960s

Killebrew From 1960-69, there was arguably no better power hitter in the majors than Harmon Killebrew.
Killebrew's stats, 1960-69
      MLB Rank
HR    393    1st
BB    970    1st
RBIs    1,013    2nd
XBH    593    4th