Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'  (Read 43553 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:04 AM »

Yo D, you don't like Slipknot. We get it. But a LOT of people do and think Corey is a good singer. I can't stand KISS's music but I won't argue that they aren't popular.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »

Yo D, you don't like Slipknot. We get it. But a LOT of people do and think Corey is a good singer. I can't stand KISS's music but I won't argue that they aren't popular.

wait...D doesn't like Slipknot??
Ace_954
Opening Act

« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »

Jesus Bodhi, u couldn't be more wrong.

we tend to have this argument on this forum more than I'd care to but Great guitar playing to me, isn't how fast u can move ur fingers or how fast u can tap,shred etc.

Great guitar playing is what you can create and how you can connect it to an audience. Its the whole Slash/Bucket argument all over again.

Ace Frehley is a legend. No body will know who the fuck Slipknot is in 20 years. Kiss are legends,pioneers and their songs are fantastic. who gives a shit if they don't play 500 notes per second or have fast difficult riffs.

I'll take Detroit Rock City,Cold Gin,God Of Thunder,War Machine, riffs over any of SlipKnot's anyday of the week.

Comparing Corey T aylor as a frontman to Paul Stanley is like comparing Mark Slaughter to Freddie Mercury.

I have never seen someone give that much praise to Kiss for their musicianship.  Very strange.  I know a lot of guitar players, and we all love Kiss, but none of us would say they are great musicians.  They aren't.  They are the definition of a gimmick band, and its a great gimmick.  That being said they arent completely shitty musicians either, they are average.  I think Taylor is a better singer than Stanley, but not a showman.  For one, Taylor is actually taken seriously by the music industry.  He has 2 bands that sound completely different.  I am confused by this notion that no one will know who Slipknot is in 20 years.  Its not like they have been around for 2 months here, they are going on 14 years, and are as popular now as ever, their record just topped the Billboard chart, something Kiss has never done.  They also stole the show at Download in 2009.  Everything they put out goes platinum, and they are well respected for their musicianship.  I can't see people just forgetting about them, i think they have passed the point where the Limp Bizkits and Creeds usually fade out. 

For the record I like Kiss more than Slipknot, but we are talking about musicianship here, Peter Criss' arms would fall off trying to do half of what Jordison does. 

Kiss are great musicians. What defines a great musician though? Mindless shredding at break neck speed? Does the fact that the Slipknot drummer can drum fast mean he's the best drummer and part of the best band? I guess people like Eric "Slowhand" Clapton should pack it up then. Kiss are one of the most influential bands ever. You would be surprised how many artists out there site Kiss as their main influence growing up. Dimebag Darrell, Steven Adler, Ron Thal and Frank Ferrer are some that come to mind. Most accomplished musicians would tell you that Ace Frehley
played some part in their influence. I personally believe that calling Kiss, especially Ace "average" is pretty ridiculous.

Thinking Taylor is a better singer than Stanley is your opinion I respect that. That's subjective. I think Corey is generic and has the stage presence of a thumb tack. Where Paul is a world class performer (singing and showmanship). Let's not forget the entire time he has performed with a guitar around his neck, unlike Corey, which makes anyone with a clue respect him even more.

Kiss will never top Billboard charts. It's that simple. Because from day 1 they have never been taken serious. But, let me tell you this, if it wasn't for Kiss Slipknot would not be able to exist today. Or if they did exist, they'd be outcasted as Kiss has been for close to 40 years. Kiss paved the way for bands like Slipknot to be "accepted". But, to make a point that a band is good because of billboard chart success is silly. By that logic we could say Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and Rhianna blow both Kiss and Slipknot out of the water.

To me, Slipknot is rubbish. Again, that's an opinion and it subjective. To me their music doesn't make sense and is akin to someone getting killed with a chainsaw. Their songs are all the same. Mindless stock metal riffs. Drop down to D and very simplistic pattern. I call that average.

As for Joey being able to drum faster than Peter, wow he must be good then. I decided to check out a drum solo of Joey's on youtube sometime ago after seeing him on some 'greatest drummers ever list'. Now that was average. I said to myself "is that it?". Most comments seemed to agree with me. I just don't get the whole "playing faster is best" attitude with some people. To be fair I actually think Peter is a horrible drummer. Most serious Kiss fans agree that Eric Carr and Eric Singer are much better. Personally I think Singer is the best. At any rate, the whole playing fast is cool attitude is stupid. It's mainly a common trait with mindless metal fans though.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. But really? Slipknot better than Kiss, you have to be kidding me :/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:02:19 PM by Ace_954 » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »

Alright guys, time to reel it in or head to Bad Obsession..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2011, 01:06:40 AM »

Anyway, I'll leave it there. But really? Slipknot better than Kiss, you have to be kidding me :/

not kidding you, they are more "technically proficient" than Kiss...period.  If you read anything I wrote you would see I never said Slipknot is a better band than Kiss, I believe I said I prefer Kiss to Slipknot, the album sale argument was in response to someone saying "no one cares about Slipknot" which is obviously not the case.  Watch Joey Jordison step in for Lars from Metallica with 3 hours notice, its on youtube, then tell me he is not a great drummer, and speed had nothing to do with it.  At the end of the day great song writing always trumps proficient playing.  If speed were all I was interested in I would listen to Yngwie Malmsteen 24/7. I would also not be a fan of Slash. Perfect example is Nirvana completely embarrass Kiss  in every way imaginable, songwriting, performance you name it,  and Kiss are way better players than Kurt  ever was.   I never said Kiss wasnt influential, but was it more for their musicianship or their theatrics?   I think you know the answer to that.  Ace didn't exactly reinvent the wheel when it comes to guitar playing, or add anything for that matter.  He was an  average guitar player with a great gimmick., he by no means sucked. 

also saying every Slipknot song is the same is like saying every Kiss song is cock rock, both are not true.  Every Slipknot album is the different, and while we are on the Corey Taylor subject he fronts another highly successful band called Stone Sour that sounds nothing like Slipknot at all.  Which is why he is perfect for VR, he is a very diverse singer.

That is all I have to say on the subject of me arguing over 2 band I actually like...back to the task at hand which would be Slash taking his sweet ass time deciding on a singer....
Ace_954
Opening Act

« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2011, 03:42:02 AM »

not kidding you, they are more "technically proficient" than Kiss...period.  If you read anything I wrote you would see I never said Slipknot is a better band than Kiss, I believe I said I prefer Kiss to Slipknot, the album sale argument was in response to someone saying "no one cares about Slipknot" which is obviously not the case.  Watch Joey Jordison step in for Lars from Metallica with 3 hours notice, its on youtube, then tell me he is not a great drummer, and speed had nothing to do with it.  At the end of the day great song writing always trumps proficient playing.  If speed were all I was interested in I would listen to Yngwie Malmsteen 24/7. I would also not be a fan of Slash. Perfect example is Nirvana completely embarrass Kiss  in every way imaginable, songwriting, performance you name it,  and Kiss are way better players than Kurt  ever was.   I never said Kiss wasnt influential, but was it more for their musicianship or their theatrics?   I think you know the answer to that.  Ace didn't exactly reinvent the wheel when it comes to guitar playing, or add anything for that matter.  He was an  average guitar player with a great gimmick., he by no means sucked. 

also saying every Slipknot song is the same is like saying every Kiss song is cock rock, both are not true.  Every Slipknot album is the different, and while we are on the Corey Taylor subject he fronts another highly successful band called Stone Sour that sounds nothing like Slipknot at all.  Which is why he is perfect for VR, he is a very diverse singer.

That is all I have to say on the subject of me arguing over 2 band I actually like...back to the task at hand which would be Slash taking his sweet ass time deciding on a singer....

If you want "technical proficiency" go listen to an 18 piece orchestra, this is rock n roll. Anything goes.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »

k im being a hater but just went and checked out a few Slipknot videos and these guys are ridiculous looking.  U call that being a virtuoso? that guitar playing is better than Ace?

But KISS aren't? Tongue

The mask thing is really irrelevant if you're talking about their music. They don't wear the masks in the studio....  If they do bother you, listen to the song Iowa, Corey recorded that one naked apparently.

PS. Comparing KISS and Slipknot is a very bizarre argument to have. Why don't we compare Queen and Slayer next? Lips Sealed

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »

If you want "technical proficiency" go listen to an 18 piece orchestra, this is rock n roll. Anything goes.

Did you just read the first few words I wrote and decide to respond?  That's what you got out of my last post?  I'm done with you.
overmatik
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2011, 10:39:43 AM »

Ok, I think there's a matter of concept here, and nobody will change Bodhi's mind, really. Let's just say that on the day Gibson makes a signature guitar for the Slipknot guitarist then we can at least discuss this sacrilege. rofl

This case is closed to me, thank you.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »

Gibson might not have made custom guitars for them (which wouldn't make sense, as the band rarely if ever use Gibson's), but there does exist Jim Root Signature Telecasters and Stratocasters. There are also custom guitars for Mick Thomson made by BC Rich, Ibanez, and Ovation. Those are all pretty high profile brands. Not that the quality of a guitar player is in any way guaged by them receiving a signature model guitar.

It's a stupid argument anyway... which is why I never got involved until now even though I can not stand KISS or anything that they stand for.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2011, 06:42:13 PM »

k im being a hater but just went and checked out a few Slipknot videos and these guys are ridiculous looking.  U call that being a virtuoso? that guitar playing is better than Ace?

But KISS aren't? Tongue

The mask thing is really irrelevant if you're talking about their music. They don't wear the masks in the studio....  If they do bother you, listen to the song Iowa, Corey recorded that one naked apparently.

PS. Comparing KISS and Slipknot is a very bizarre argument to have. Why don't we compare Queen and Slayer next? Lips Sealed

WHOA, u  are saying Kiss look stupid in their makeup? Son those are fighting words right thre.

Kiss play characters in their makeup but are very true to their characters. Gene is the Demon and if u see him onstage, he IS THE DEMON. Paul is the Starchild or the rockstar and no one does it better, Ace is the spaceman and that is HIM, etc etc.

U see Slipknot these scary stupid masks, Corey opens his mouth and sounds like a gayer Fred Durst. just completely doesn't fit the image. that whole deep throttle singing is so retarded.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »

Gibson might not have made custom guitars for them (which wouldn't make sense, as the band rarely if ever use Gibson's), but there does exist Jim Root Signature Telecasters and Stratocasters. There are also custom guitars for Mick Thomson made by BC Rich, Ibanez, and Ovation. Those are all pretty high profile brands. Not that the quality of a guitar player is in any way guaged by them receiving a signature model guitar.

It's a stupid argument anyway... which is why I never got involved until now even though I can not stand KISS or anything that they stand for.

BCRich,Ovation and Ibanez compared To Gibson is like comparing a Cadillac to a Bentley. Nice guitars just as Cadillacs are really nice cars,but the Bentley is the elite.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »

But KISS aren't? Tongue

WHOA, u  are saying Kiss look stupid in their makeup? Son those are fighting words right thre.

Kiss play characters in their makeup but are very true to their characters. Gene is the Demon and if u see him onstage, he IS THE DEMON. Paul is the Starchild or the rockstar and no one does it better, Ace is the spaceman and that is HIM, etc etc.

U see Slipknot these scary stupid masks, Corey opens his mouth and sounds like a gayer Fred Durst. just completely doesn't fit the image. that whole deep throttle singing is so retarded.

Whoooaaa, I love KISS too, I'm just saying, they don't exactly look..... normal.

Slipknot aren't trying to be 'scary' I don't think, it's more to do with standing out more. And I know the chances of convincing you of the positive qualities of Slipknot are slim to none, but Slipknot are just a totally different band to KISS, so all this comparing is pointless IMO. KISS are a great band for feel-good songs, just sing-along anthems etc. Slipknot are great to listen to if you want something aggressive, something to release the tension. The aural equivalent of pounding a punchbag if you like. That's how I see it anyway. Plus, Slipknot do have some good mellow stuff too.

You must think I'm crazy, I listen to Slipknot and Radiohead, but not Bon Jovi. Tongue hihi

Ace_954
Opening Act

« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2011, 10:44:46 PM »

Someone said Slipknot have been around 13 years or so? 13 years into Kiss' career Ace was one of the most influential/well known guitarists. Who the hell is Jim Root and Mick Thomson. I've never heard their names before this thread. Never read of them once on any website or anything. Slipknot are a bunch of nobodies... (with a fast drummer of course!).
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »

Someone said Slipknot have been around 13 years or so? 13 years into Kiss' career Ace was one of the most influential/well known guitarists. Who the hell is Jim Root and Mick Thomson. I've never heard their names before this thread. Never read of them once on any website or anything. Slipknot are a bunch of nobodies... (with a fast drummer of course!).

hahaha im there with u ace.

saying cause somebody plays guitar fast or drums fast makes the greatest would be like saying cause someone runs fast they are the greatest football player or just cause someone jumps the highest they are the greatest basketball player. NO there are all sorts of intangible qualities.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2011, 05:25:47 AM »

Who the hell is Jim Root and Mick Thomson. I've never heard their names before this thread.

Millions of Slipknot fans have though. 0_o

Ace_954
Opening Act

« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2011, 06:17:13 AM »

Who the hell is Jim Root and Mick Thomson. I've never heard their names before this thread.

Millions of Slipknot fans have though. 0_o

And that's fine, but both of them together haven't had .1% impact on the music industry than Ace himself. But of course this band is taken so serious unlike Kiss.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2011, 06:37:09 AM »

Maybe when they put their logo on everything from shampoo to condoms to Visa cards, they won't be taken as seriously. You can't expect a band that has gone out of their way to sell out in every way possible to be taken more seriously than a band that actually puts their music first - even if they did also cultivate an image to be memorable.

I won't talk about their music, as I think it's awful, but that's all subjective. What isn't subjective is the fact that one is a band, and the other is a franchise.

Also, the only reason I've heard of Ace Frehley is because I take an interest in music, even if it's music that I don't like. I'd be willing to wager that you don't bother to read about bands you don't like, which is why you'd never heard of Slipknot's guitarists.
Ace_954
Opening Act

« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2011, 07:45:06 AM »

Maybe when they put their logo on everything from shampoo to condoms to Visa cards, they won't be taken as seriously. You can't expect a band that has gone out of their way to sell out in every way possible to be taken more seriously than a band that actually puts their music first - even if they did also cultivate an image to be memorable.

I won't talk about their music, as I think it's awful, but that's all subjective. What isn't subjective is the fact that one is a band, and the other is a franchise.

Also, the only reason I've heard of Ace Frehley is because I take an interest in music, even if it's music that I don't like. I'd be willing to wager that you don't bother to read about bands you don't like, which is why you'd never heard of Slipknot's guitarists.

They are able to do that marketing stuff because they are icons. Their band is iconic. I can walk into a $2 shop and find Elvis Presley's face on every conceivable item in this world. Why? Because he is an icon, like Kiss. Does that make him laughable or any less credible? Jim Root, Mick Thomson and even Corey Taylor will never have that iconic status. And, I'm sure if they did and marketed like Kiss the argument "oh look they are sellouts because they market themselves" would change to "Look how huge Slipknot are, they are everywhere!!".

I understand the whole "sell out" sentiment is popular, but what is selling out? Basically signing to a major label and living in very nice houses could be seen as selling out. As for the argument Kiss is a franchise, well every band is isnt it?. Last time I checked it was called the music business. Do Slipknot sell shirts at their shows? wow must be sellouts. Kiss is marketing their band, which every musician in the world tries to do. No one at Kiss' level tries to limit their earning potential whether it be with marketing or anything else. You think a band like AC/DC go out and say "gee I hope we only earn 200 million this tour so we still have our credibility". AC/DC is a brand now. You can walk into K-Mart and find their shirts. They are icons. This is the level AC/DC and Kiss are at. Slipknot could only dream to have the earning potential as both those band do. So the whole sell out term is redundant. The phrase was basically started by people driving 100k cars themselves, and trying to be seen as 'alternative'.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »

Agree with Ace again. every band has sold out in one way or the other.

This is entertainment, this isn't avant garde or coffee shop artistic mumbo jumbo.

these guys are Corporations/brands.

Slipknot are no different. I guarantee if u search the net hard enough, u could find some pretty interesting Slipknot merch.

Kiss also are originals. Slipknot kind of ripped Kiss,Insane Clown Posse,Marilyn Manson, Gwar etc imo.

Plus as previously stated, their music is fucking absolute garbage. its fast, but its not quite Corrosion of Conformity or Deicide or what have u.

They areto metal what Good Charlotte is to punk.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: